• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Noi

iMHi0J6vPXGIM.png

But Kitase, we WANTED to see a promotional video. :(

But despite that, I love Sonic Unleashed. I think it's perfectly playable. :p

...ok, I relent, we both like iffy games. Hahaha.

It's ok, having guilty pleasures is perfectly fine. ;D

The long stage time isn't something exclusive to Unleashed anyway. Heroes and Shadow were both getting really long on stage length, not to mention 06. Cutting down on that in Colors and Generations was the best choice.

Ahasverus

I'm fine with this, I'd be more pissed if they left cliffhanged the XIII-2 story, also I prefer for them to make a shitty FFXIII game than for them to give us hope for FFXV and make it shit anyway.
And of course I hope they made a much better game this time, who knows, maybe this is THE Final Fanasy.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I like Lightning a lot too, but this FFXIII milking is just ridiculous.

They would have been better off if they just made Dissidia PS3 and made her the lead character.

This is the third and final XIII game, and all three games seem drastically different from each other. I don't think thats that bad really.

I personally love final fantasy sci fi settings and I love open world games, so I'm super about this game.

Versus isn't ready. They need games to release in the interim. It's really a very simple concept in terms of business.

Aside from the uncalled for condescending third sentence, they really don't need to 1) constantly "tease" a game that clearly isn't anywhere near its release while simultaneously announcing new sidequels to a critically panned game and 2) make sidequels to a critically panned game when they could announce and release OTHER games.

Toth

Aside from the uncalled for condescending third sentence, they really don't need to 1) constantly "tease" a game that clearly isn't anywhere near its release while simultaneously announcing new sidequels to a critically panned game and 2) make sidequels to a critically panned game when they could announce and release OTHER games.

What critically panned game?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Are they ever going to give Knuckles his due? He was only half of the two best games in the franchise.
Kinda off-topic, but that is up to Iizuka now, I feel. Oddly enough, Iizuka wasn't completely in charge (outside of being the producer) for the last three mainline Sonic games. He didn't have important roles on Unleashed, Colours, or Generations, and you can easily tell that they weren't really 'his' sort of games in terms of atmosphere and direction. He directs and writes the likes of Sonic Rivals, Shadow the Hedgehog, Heroes, SA, SA2, etc.

Noi said:
It's ok, having guilty pleasures is perfectly fine. ;D

The long stage time isn't something exclusive to Unleashed anyway. Heroes and Shadow were both getting really long on stage length, not to mention 06. Cutting down on that in Colors and Generations was the best choice.
Well, it's easy to speedrun Unleashed daytime levels if you wanted to, but this guy somehow played the game in 3 hours. I'm just glad they made it in a way that you could easily speedrun the games now (ex: Colours's mode for an entire runthrough).

Back on-topic, though......

Lightning Returns will also include a real-time block system, designed to make battles much more active and time-based. Even dying mid-battle will activate a prompt to give players the choice to rewind their mistakes at the expense of the timer.
You know, if there's a real-time block system and presumably evade system, there might not be a huge need for SEN anymore, would there?

And at least they're penalizing you somewhat for getting a game over (by using part of the timer to give yourself another chance).

MrDenny

I will never understand why SE always decides to take their ff sequels in totally different direction than the original game story/design wise.
Still optimistic, but if fang or vanille don't make an appearance I will be disappointed.

How come you never gave FFXII this much attention square? ;_;

I wish. But Ivalice is, for all intents and purposes, dead. If we're "lucky" we'll get another embarrassingly kiddy FFTA game at some point, even though those don't take place in the 'real' Ivalice.

Noi

You know, if there's a real-time block system and presumably evade system, there might not be a huge need for SEN anymore, would there?

And at least they're penalizing you somewhat for getting a game over (by using part of the timer to give yourself another chance).

Or maybe they re-tool how SEN works. Make it more about the counters than the damage reduction/blocking itself. That is, if Paradigms are even going to be a thing in this game.

I wonder just how exploitable the timer system is going to be anyway. If it's anything like say, Dead Rising, running out of time would essentially act as a New Game+ where everything starts over but the base character stats stay upgraded. I'm drawing a blank on how that mechanic worked in Dragon Quarter, exactly.

Waaaaay too early to tell. But it is a sequel to 13-2 and we do know it will have Etro and Chaos so....

Technically its not. I dont see XIII-3 in the title. Maybe its a side story, like Metal Gear Acid.

Also, the aesthetics of the game remind me of Gravity Rush, even down to the monorail connecting the islands.

linko9

Sounds like it could be really cool, glad they're mixing things up. But Lightning is a really boring character.

RagnarokX

And so began the "Lightning is dead" theory.

Man, I wish I had a website when I came up with the Squall is dead theory back in like 2001. Among my friends on the AOL Final Fantasy message boards I made a popular quote that went something like "Perhaps Squall really did die at the end of disc 1 and discs 2-4 are his trip through hell." Though my version was more joking about how awful discs 2-4 are compared to the first.

Lain

Only watched half of that video, but it excited me some more. Actually, it excited me more than reading the liveblog did. I couldn't give a fuck about the facebook stuff, but the world stuff is pretty interesting.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Whatever guys. Complaining now won't make Square stop making the game. And I don't get the hate. They are changing everything, making a lot of new things.

Oh well, Lightning shall continue her reign. Such an outstanding character.

Let me join you on this hype train. Day 1!

Shinta

Banned
Supposedly ...

* Luxurion is the largest city in a FF ever, and you can enter every building.
* Customization options for Lightning will be more than any character for a FF title ever.

wut ...

LuuKyK

Supposedly ...

* Luxurion is the largest city in a FF ever, and you can enter every building.
* Customization options for Lightning will be more than any FF title ever.

wut ...

Yeah they said on the video more than 20 costumes. Holy Shit.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Again, Square Enix knows how to surprise and to make an impact. The concept of this game surpasses everything I was expecting, it is such an interesting take on the world and characters of Final Fantasy that, if well realized, could represent a turning point to the whole series.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Sounds more MMO than Skyrim. I doubt Square Enix would let you go absolutely anywhere you want, and those islands will be segmented to be made accessible according to story beats.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Again, Square Enix knows how to surprise and to make an impact. The concept of this game surpasses everything I was expecting, it is such an interesting take on the world and characters of Final Fantasy that, if well realized, could represent a turning point to the whole series.

Seriously how long are people going to shit on them for some mistakes they made with a single game. Square Enix is really delivering on these other FFXIII games.

SOLDIER

....and Fang wakes up and goes to an anime con, cosplaying from Madoka Magica.

Yes, I keep talking about Fang since she was MY favorite character

Having broken her spear, she forgoes her original idea to go as Kyouko and cosplays as Sayaka instead.

Which isn't a knock, because Sayaka was the best character by far

Jeels

Seriously how long are people going to shit on them for some mistakes they made with a single game. Square Enix is really delivering on these other FFXIII games.

Lots of people weren't particularly fond of XIII-2 either. You act like it was universally praised. It has a lower metacritic than XIII.

I wonder what that castle in the distance is? Looking at that concept art for the world, you can see deserts, forests, ocean seaside, a mountain range blocked by clouds. Very LoZ. Legend of Lightning.

Uthred

new sidequels to a critically panned game

FFXIII was not "critically panned", just because the more vocal complainers on the net refuse to let it drop doesnt mean the critics disliked it - its 83 on metacritic would suggest that the majority of critics liked it - just like the majority of critics liked FFXIII-2.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of people weren't particularly fond of XIII-2 either. You act like it was universally praised. It has a lower metacritic than XIII.

i guess i just felt that XIII-2 was from overflow hate from XIII-1, just like we are seeing here for number 3. Its just opinions so I'll never know the motivations behind them for sure. Its just the feeling i get from seeing how people seem to absolutely love to hate on the game.

Wow, a Final Fantasy game made during this generation, with an interesting lore background and a unique gameplay ideas that sound neat on paper. This hasn't happened before, and I'm deeply curious to see the results of such an unprecedented move.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I... I actually agree with you. I wasn't expecting this at all. If they pull this off, they can end the entire Lightning 'saga' with a bang. But I kind of worry that after the critical and commercial reception of FFXIII and XIII-2, people will turn a blind eye towards this game. That said, I'm still a bit skeptical though.

canvee

I wish. But Ivalice is, for all intents and purposes, dead. If we're "lucky" we'll get another embarrassingly kiddy FFTA game at some point, even though those don't take place in the 'real' Ivalice.

Hey I like those kiddy FFTA games! :p But yeah, I know what you mean when you say the 'real' Ivalice is dead

Exentryk

Saw this interesting post from a Gamefaq user saying Toriyama is plagiarising his Fanfic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/619315-final-fantasy-xiii-2/63922337

As some of you know, I am one of the authors of FINAL FANTASY XIII: LEGACY OF LINDZEI and XENOLITH, two fan sequels to FINAL FANTASY XIII. Information can be found here: http://lindzei.dreamwidth.org/

Today, LIGHTNING RETURNS was announced: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/01/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-announced

According to this article, LIGHTNING RETURNS shares an extremely unusual amount of similarities with LEGACY OF LINDZEI and XENOLITH:

LIGHTNING RETURNS is "set in a world called Novus Partus". In LEGACY OF LINDZEI, the name of the planet is called "Novus".

"According to Square-Enix, the world will end after 13 days, and a massive clock will count down constantly in the corner of the screen to indicate this looming deadline." In XENOLITH, it is established the world will end in a 16 years, and a clock counts down constantly throughout the story.

Most unusual, and perhaps telling, is the following image, a map of Novus Partus: http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/08/lr-novus-partus.jpg

Now look at this. This is a map of LEGACY OF LINDZEI'S Novus, established in 2010 shortly after the release of FINAL FANTASY XIII: http://i.imgur.com/ewqZH.jpg

I will spare you the details (all of them can be found at the LEGACY OF LINDZEI website linked above), but every single part of the Novus Partus map is a correct cardinal representation of the cities/locations listed in Novus: Castle Orbis to the south; the desert to its north; the body of water that separates it from Tenebrae; and Argo and Ezra, side by side, to the east. Even the sky in the Novus Partus image depicts Gran Pulse, as was established in LEGACY OF LINDZEI.

TL;DR: There is a REALLY good chance that Square-Enix copied multiple ideas from my FF13 fanfiction.

Myriadis

If I would use games to describe it, it sounds like a mix of Majoras Mask and BoF:Dragon Quarter (as I think that you have to reset the game to continue)?

I like it that the world seems to be even more open. And given that I really like FFXIII-2 so far (fifth chapter atm), I am pretty optimistic. Lightning as the main character is good enough. At least a lot better than a game with Tidus as the lone character (shudders).

I wonder what that castle in the distance is? Looking at that concept art for the world, you can see deserts, forests, ocean seaside, a mountain range blocked by clouds. Very LoZ. Legend of Lightning.

This, combined with the Majora's Mask time limit, make me wonder if some of the game designers aren't big Zelda fans. I'd hope for puzzles, but after XIII-2... yeah, no.

Top Bottom