• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

LordK

I'm getting closer to getting screenshots without the HUD (and hopefully getting the screenshot before its scaled so could use the internal scaling while screenshotting the full image). Here is a shot without the HUD:

1AfUtDT.jpg

I might be able to fix the DOF resolution too now that I have an idea about what I'm doing.

BONKERS

It will be awesome if true (especially framepacing issue fix)

Don't get your hopes up.

There are far too many problems for them to actually care :/

I would however be very happy if they did fix,

FXIII:
Bring the videos up to the same quality as LR,
fix FMV stuttering,
Choose which language FMVs to download when you choose to download the game so you aren't wasting a fuck ton of space.
Fix the 1440p bug
Fix the enemy info display disappearing beyond 720p
Fix the insane frame pacer
Volume sliders.

XIII-2:
Fix the rain bug,
Fix teh absurd frame pacer
Bring the video quality up to LR
Volume sliders.
Fix broken surround sound.

LR:
Fix the stuttering
Remove the insane DRM
Fix the resolution support.

I can dream in a world where Square Enix actually CARES. But it doesn't exist. And it won't happen.
Volume sliders.

Apparently shadows aren't as good as the console version. I can only wish someone will eventually mod the shadows in from the PS3 version or something

Falk

that puzzling face
Both right and wrong. From what I recall (and there are a lot of screenshots in the previous two OTs to back this up - if it hasn't been patched/changed) shadow edges are pixel-count-based and don't take resolution into account, so downsampling from 4k for example will give you shadows that are much sharper, which is very noticable (and distracting) on limbs, etc.

Those coefficients should be easily moddable, if they aren't already.

Parsnip

Both right and wrong. From what I recall (and there are a lot of screenshots in the previous two OTs to back this up - if it hasn't been patched/changed) shadow edges are pixel-count-based and don't take resolution into account, so downsampling from 4k for example will give you shadows that are twice as sharp, which is very noticable (and distracting) on limbs, etc.

Those coefficients should be easily moddable, if they aren't already.

Huh.
I started FF13 the other day and I thought the shadow on characters looked odd but couldn't quite put my finger on why exactly. I guess that could explain it?

TheTux

Nice to see that they are going to update the game but honestly I'd rather have them patch the previous two games.

Got every achievement and platinumed the trilogy on PC. I must say LR is not that fun after the first run, I mean Hard mode is a great idea but it's a bit unbalanced (too easy vs normal monsters/bosses, too hard on
Bhunivelze +
).

LordK

Well I was finally able to accomplish the things I wanted. I'll finally play the game after I finish Fallout 4.

Now I have it where you can:

1. Take screenshots without the HUD (though you still see the HUD when playing the game).

2. Because of #1, screenshots will be taken of the render resolution. So for example, you can set the resolution to 8K and have the game do full screen scaling to your 1080p monitor. Your screenshots will be the 8K res and not scaled.

I can actually take screenshots without the screen filter applied too.

If I ever get this to a usable state for someone that's not me, I'd be happy to release it. Right now I'm still messing around with changing the code to do things I want it to do.

TheTux

Well I was finally able to accomplish the things I wanted. I'll finally play the game after I finish Fallout 4.

Now I have it where you can:

1. Take screenshots without the HUD (though you still see the HUD when playing the game).

2. Because of #1, screenshots will be taken of the render resolution. So for example, you can set the resolution to 8K and have the game do full screen scaling to your 1080p monitor. Your screenshots will be the 8K res and not scaled.

I can actually take screenshots without the screen filter applied too.

If I ever get this to a usable state for someone that's not me, I'd be happy to release it. Right now I'm still messing around with changing the code to do things I want it to do.

Good job!

LordK

I haven't had time to really take a stab at the DOF. But I'm going to take a break now. My tool is mostly working with just recognizing what key/buttons are pushed to take screenshots. Here are the small differences (in the intro fight) between filter and filterless. The filtered version has AA applied to it.

Here is a filterless hudless map screen too:

Finally cutscene screenshotting with/without filter:

I'm getting closer to getting screenshots without the HUD (and hopefully getting the screenshot before its scaled so could use the internal scaling while screenshotting the full image). Here is a shot without the HUD:

1AfUtDT.jpg

I might be able to fix the DOF resolution too now that I have an idea about what I'm doing.

This game is beautiful, wow.

Falk

that puzzling face
Most of the combat 'arenas' (for lack of better term) look really good since they're literally self-contained areas. It's mainly the large sprawling open world parts that took a (really heavy) hit in the polycount and texture res dept.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Okay, bought and started, but....
Does this stop being about walk&talk anytime soon, or i should keep expecting minimal combat?

Also, will the Cloud\Yuna outfits make the early game too easy?

Okay, bought and started, but....
Does this stop being about walk&talk anytime soon, or i should keep expecting minimal combat?

Also, will the Cloud\Yuna outfits make the early game too easy?

Luxerion is the most uneven when it comes to that. You wont get into alot of constant fights until the later parts of the main quest.

supposedly they do make the game easier for a bit.

ss_lemonade

I specifically installed goddess returns to test if the 13 and 13-2 problem with xbone controller was there, and good news, controller works great.

Just started playing the game and I think I still have xbox one controller issues with it. Right trigger doesn't seem to work in menus that need it (auto ability summary or deleting schemas for example) and it seems to activate the overclock ability instead of libra during battles? Running using the R trigger works fine though.

I also see odd, diagonal tearing showing up. It becomes more visible when moving the camera around.

Parsnip

Just started playing the game and I think I still have xbox one controller issues with it. Right trigger doesn't seem to work in menus that need it (auto ability summary or deleting schemas for example) and it seems to activate the overclock ability instead of libra during battles? Running using the R trigger works fine though.

I only tested to see if the save menu related bug from before still there, couldn't say anything about anything else.
Keeping in mind that one of the "fixes" for the previous games' problem was to install a different driver that fixed those two games but broke pretty much everything else, did you by any chance do that recently?

killatopak

gonna have to buy this since I didn't have to chance to play it when it was released. I only played XIII and XIII-2. I should finish the saga.

ss_lemonade

I only tested to see if the save menu related bug from before still there, couldn't say anything about anything else.
Keeping in mind that one of the "fixes" for the previous games' problem was to install a different driver that fixed those two games but broke pretty much everything else, did you by any chance do that recently?
Wait, that might be it. I don't think I have the correct, default drivers now after testinh different possibilities with the previous games. Anyway, just rssorted to using my dualshock 3 as a 360 controller. That seems to provide the most compatibility for me

I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this game. I'm not too keen on the combat system, however it's really scratching my Dead Rising itch like number 3 couldn't. Just wish that I feel like I could play through it without a guide; some kind of quest markers on the map would have gone a long way to make the challenge be about time management rather than running around the same maps constantly over and over in hopes of finding quest.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Wow, this is much better than i thought. I'm going to get embarassingly lost in tweaking up the schemata.
I really find the Stagger mechanic genius.

Okay so I bought the game.

First thing I noticed is how I am very much stressed out towards the time limit thingy.

You can basically chronostasis endlessly if you really want to.

Ascheroth

Okay so I bought the game.

First thing I noticed is how I am very much stressed out towards the time limit thingy.

The time-limit really is a non issue. I've finished all main quests and nearly all available side quests and canvas of prayer stuff on day 7, I'm currently on day 8.
And I'm thinking now it might have been a better idea to take more time, since I've realised drops are getting better the later the day, but I've already exterminated a dozen species at this point...
Oh well.

Vex_

Banned
no , why ?

I see... Do you prefer it off or on? I'm trying to decide if I want to play with it off or on?

I assume you favor it being off. I think your screenshots look superb.

It just looks weird with CC on for some reason? Like, washed out?

L.O.R.D

I see... Do you prefer it off or on? I'm trying to decide if I want to play with it off or on?

I assume you favor it being off. I think your screenshots look superb.

It just looks weird with CC on for some reason? Like, washed out?
well , i don't care that much
i am playing on my laptop, didn't edit any configuration or enhancements

my laptop specs isn't that great too
i7 3630mq 2.4ghz
GTX 660m 2GB
8GB ram

HeelPower

I feel like this game's textures took a hit because it was rushed on last gen consoles(not because it was technically impossible or whatever)
If SE does a remaster(which they might) cleaning up the game would be real nice.

At least now we know a 60 FPS version of the game is possible if they ever do a remaster.

killatopak

For some reason I can't make the Miqote dress garb appear even though I talked to 4 chocos already and got 4 fireworks. Hope says I got it but it's not in the garb menu.

L.O.R.D

maybe a noob question , but where is the stagger pointer or indicator ? i can't find it
in XIII-2 i was placed above every monster or in the right corner.
now i am just attacking till he staggered without knowing.

maybe a noob question , but where is the stagger pointer or indicator ? i can't find it
in XIII-2 i was placed above every monster or in the right corner.
now i am just attacking till he staggered without knowing.

stagger indicator shows as like a waveform over the creatures head. The closer they are to stagger the more erractic the waveform gets. But you can also see an enemys stagger conditions by pretting RT (if youve staggered them once previously). Unlike XIII you can insta stagger some enemies jsut by meeting the criteria attack them as theyre charging an attack, etc)

Question tho, im getting sick to death of luxerion. Been here 6 hours, got whupped by the boss so im doing side missions, but can i just hop on the train somewhere else to do side missions? Or will i wind up getting overpowered? I want to enjoy this game because Lightning but honestly so far its laid out and explained fucking piss poorly. 6 or 7 hours in and ive barely any idea what i should be doing

L.O.R.D

i am n the dunes ruins , and my god
that place is maze
i think i am gonna stuck there for some times.
also ,
robots have soul ?

Top Bottom