• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

Falk

that puzzling face
For some reason I can't make the Miqote dress garb appear even though I talked to 4 chocos already and got 4 fireworks. Hope says I got it but it's not in the garb menu.

Is this for the festival? I thought it was the wedding dress thingo.

killatopak

Is this for the festival? I thought it was the wedding dress thingo.

it's this dress. It's basically available since day 1 according to the guides at least.

latest

Adaren

Question tho, im getting sick to death of luxerion. Been here 6 hours, got whupped by the boss so im doing side missions, but can i just hop on the train somewhere else to do side missions? Or will i wind up getting overpowered? I want to enjoy this game because Lightning but honestly so far its laid out and explained fucking piss poorly. 6 or 7 hours in and ive barely any idea what i should be doing

Hit up another area. Over leveling is pretty much impossible in Lightning Returns for a few different reasons, and it's very much possible to do two areas in tandem (the game even encourages it with some of the time locks and on the second day).

killatopak

i finally managed to get the miqote dress by loading an earlier save. What basically happened was that the game skipped some chocogirl dialogue and skipped giving me the dress.

HeelPower

Thanks. Steam making it easy to take shots is very helpful. One button. Done. Post it online later, whatever.

Here's some more:

Sadly I can't take off the HUD while on the field like the Outerworld System did.(unless I use mods of course)

Your screenshots were better than SE's marketing shots for LR.lol

The moogle area is nice looking.

Lightning's FF13 outfit still reigns supreme.Even from the side it has a distinct look.

sanhora

24th December 2015 Game Update

Square Enix said:
24th December 2015 Game Update

Hi everyone and thank you for playing LIGHTNING RETURNS FINAL FANTASYXIII!

On the 24th of December 2015 we issued a game update, the details of which are below:

Changes to game content:

1. The following display resolution settings have been added:
「3840 x 2160」「3200 x 1800」「2880 x 1620」「2560 x 1440」
「2400 x 1350」「2160 x 1215」

Caution: Please note that if a resolution setting is selected that is not supported by your display, the game will automatically run at the maximum resolution available within your PC environment.

Caution: Depending on the resolution settings selected, the game may suffer considerable drops in processing speed or cease to boot properly. It is recommended that you play using resolution settings suitable for your PC’s specifications.

2. Support for booting the game in an offline environment:
As LIGHTNING RETURNS FINAL FANTASY XIII is a software title that supports SteamCloud, it previously required an online environment for play. We have listened to your feedback, however, and added in the ability to boot the game in an offline environment as well.

We hope you continue to enjoy LIGHTNING RETURNS FINAL FANTASY XIII and wish you a very happy holiday.

Ascheroth

That's nice.
But it still baffles me how they seem to be unable to just query the OS for supported resolutions. I mean, the engine is apparently fine with rendering at whatever resolution you want, so it just seems incredibly shortsighted to me to limit it to an arbitrary set of them.

Adding those new resolutions manually and adding code to check if the monitor actually supports it and then changing to the maximum supported resolution seems like a lot of unnessecary work...

BONKERS

That's nice.
But it still baffles me how they seem to be unable to just query the OS for supported resolutions. I mean, the engine is apparently fine with rendering at whatever resolution you want, so it just seems incredibly shortsighted to me to limit it to an arbitrary set of them.

Adding those new resolutions manually and adding code to check if the monitor actually supports it and then changing to the maximum supported resolution seems like a lot of unnessecary work...

SE is run by Monkeys that's why.

Now if only they'd patch in higher than 1080p resolutions and a true full screen mode for Type-0 if they aren't going to be not dumb and support arbitrary resolutions.

Durante

No down sampling supported I think :/
I very highly doubt that. If you e.g. use DSR and set your desktop resolution to 4k before launching the game it would be very hard to detect that you're not on a 4k monitor. And even if they do, whatever they use to detect it could easily be intercepted by e.g. GeDoSaTo.

I'll start playing the game soon so I'll report back.

TheTux

I very highly doubt that. If you e.g. use DSR and set your desktop resolution to 4k before launching the game it would be very hard to detect that you're not on a 4k monitor. And even if they do, whatever they use to detect it could easily be intercepted by e.g. GeDoSaTo.

Will GeDoSaTo be able to disable the HUD like in the previous two games?

Thanks in advance

TheTux

How the hell do we change resolution? And if I try to launch it without Steam Cloud on, it still gives the same "requires Steam Cloud" message.

You can change the resolution from the bar on the top of the window.

Just checked and I'm still forced to have Steam Cloud on too, not that I care but just wanted to report that it's not fixed yet.

I was wrong it seems. Downsampling seems to be supported. But yeah; with DSR/VSR, you could still set up your desktop resolution to the one you want; althought not the best way to enjoy your games.

Alvarez

Banned
... First thing I noticed is how I am very much stressed out towards the time limit thingy.

Don't be stressed about the time limit. Even players who are taking their time and doing every single quest will end up with a lot of extra time. In fact, I did a run where I never used Chronostasis and I still had too many days left at the end of the game.

New players typically don't realize three game-changing things:

1) You have a lot more time than the game says you do. Just by playing the game, you gain more time--so completionists are actually rewarded, not punished.

2) It's actually to your benefit to NOT use Chronostasis, as you gain access to more quests and better items/upgrades only if you allow the days to lapse. If you abuse Chronostasis, you may end up imbalancing the game for yourself (in a way that will make the game more difficult).

3) Even if you somehow do run out of time (pretty confident this has never happened to anyone), doing so will allow you to do New Game+. You won't lose any character progress.

Oh, and another tip I have for new players is to check out all the different zones early. LR is not a "clear one zone and move on to the next" game. The game is non-linear--you're meant to pick and choose what you want to do. If you're bored of an area or you've hit a wall, move on. There are important game-changing items and abilities that are only available from specific zones, so you'll be making the game difficult for yourself if you stick in one zone for too long.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not sure if I agree with 2). The major bosses all get a stat boost past a certain number of days.

Yeah, you get potentially stronger as the days go by, but so do the enemies.

Agreed that a best practice is to go out exploring though. Even Luxerion alone sorta shoos you away by gating events to a specific time.

Woohoo! Just saw the new patch, glad this came out right as I'm wrapping up XIII-2!

Edit:
Anyone know if this has the 2560x1440 bug that XIII and XIII-2 had?

artsi

They say it in a silly way, actually it just downsamples to the desktop resolution or window size if you have scaling enabled from the settings. Like it did before the patch too.

I'm using that to play in 4K, I don't notice much any difference to DSR to bother switching desktop resolutions. Just set scaling to standard instead of advanced which screws up the IQ.

BONKERS

In the pre patch state. Anything higher than my native broke the weird windowed mode vsync they have going on in Windows 7 and reduced the framerate to sub 30 with tons of tearing.

Even though displayed at native res and using that same higher than native setup through the game with scaling or without scaling had zero issue.

Durante

Did they fix the stutters with the latest patch?

980gtx + i54690 BTW.
I've only played with the patched version, but basically there are predictable loading stutters (like in many games), and some framepacing issues in cutscenes, but performance is very consistent outside of that. It's certainly not (seemingly) random like with the other 2 parts of the trilogy.

Someone worked on a no HUD patch for like a week and now on Christmas you come and deliver in 5 minutes hahha.

Merry Christmas and thanks once again!
Well, I had access to GeDoSaTo, which is a pretty good tool for such things ;)

Doubt it. these XIII games are a crapshoot and it doesn't really matter what your specs are. The recommended fixes don't seem to work for everyone.
I don't think it's fair to put LR in the same category as the other games, performance-wise. Outside of loading stutters the performance is very consistent. And it makes sense, unlike 13 and 13-2's.

I's also obvious from how the game interacts with the graphics API that it was ported very differently (and, I guess it's fair to say, better) than its predecessors.

ss_lemonade

The latest update still has the diagonal tearing issue I get. Basically destroys image quality and is probably the worst type of tearing I've ever seen.

Also is it just me or does 3840x2160 not look as good as other games downsampled from that resolution?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My bro gifted me a dual shock 4 so I can finally play this

Fucking way overdue

LordK

Well, I had access to GeDoSaTo, which is a pretty good tool for such things ;)

I was able to learn from bits and pieces from your code for my own stuff. This was the first time I've ever injected my own code into another process' address space and it's pretty sweet. I can't stop messing with the DX calls to try and do weird things now.

Thanks for putting your code up on github. :)

I don't think it's fair to put LR in the same category as the other games, performance-wise. Outside of loading stutters the performance is very consistent. And it makes sense, unlike 13 and 13-2's.

I's also obvious from how the game interacts with the graphics API that it was ported very differently (and, I guess it's fair to say, better) than its predecessors.

what ever they did, it's given me an opposite result in this game-- solid in battle, stuttery in the field. But hey, I'll take that.

Anteater

L.O.R.D

after days of search , finally found POLYDOG

Thanks. Steam making it easy to take shots is very helpful. One button. Done. Post it online later, whatever.

Here's some more:

Sadly I can't take off the HUD while on the field like the Outerworld System did.(unless I use mods of course)
where did you find the moogle ? not the dress, the Moogle it self.

L.O.R.D

At night in the Wildlands the Moogle village opens up. You'll even find some moogles outside the village

thanks , found it
but , what i do when i am there ?
i can't find anyone to talk to , should i wear the moogle dress ?

edit: found it , but now i am searching for the lost moogles

Top Bottom