• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth |OT| - Aloha, is it me you're looking for?

Can't believe what happens once you get Dondoko to 3 stars... this game is absolutely 🍌🍌🍌. This might be my favourite mini-game ever (like I said before, that's an understatement, it's an actual *game*) in a JRPG or otherwise, so damn good.

Edit: anyone else catch a Golden Shark spear fishing? It's worth a whopping 70,000, wonder how much that increases once you get it to 5 🌟

Last edited:

PanzerCute

The song that plays during the dating app game is so chill
Damn I completely forgot about that hilarious minigame. That is what happens when a game is packed of great content.

37 hours in, and the game keeps on delivering, I am so addicted to the job system, all jobs are so cool!

• Love
Reactions: Isa

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Couldnt you trigger special conversations at restaurants in Like a Dragon?

I can't seem to trigger them on Infinite Wealth, despite doing the correct combo food that has the speech bubble next to it, no conversation pops up.

Last edited:

SCB3

I can't seem to trigger them on Infinite Wealth, despite doing the correct combo food that has the speech bubble next to it, no conversation pops up.
I can't speak for the resturants but the Revolver Bar defo allows you to as I've just seen the pop up for doing that for friendships

PanzerCute

I triggered one for now, I just completed a combo of food. It won't happen every time you make a combo, tho, maybe its one special conversation per restaurant?

Thief1987

I'm 5 hours in, chapter 3, and I still watching cutscenes and play short scripted sections. When this damn game will actually starts, it's become ridiculous even by the series standards?

Last edited:

Sephimoth

Just got this on XBox for £20, AMA.

Then I read that you really need to finish Like A Dragon to appreciate the story so went back to that :messenger_beaming:

• Strength

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Hiding difficulties behind a paywall is disgusting. Shame on you, Sega. The crazy rich members of the forum who can afford to pay an extra $5-10 will defend you again, but you should know that what you're doing is very very wrong.

PanzerCute

Hiding difficulties behind a paywall is disgusting. Shame on you, Sega. The crazy rich members of the forum who can afford to pay an extra $5-10 will defend you again, but you should know that what you're doing is very very wrong.
I agree the day one dlc is a scummy move but it does not contain any difficulty setting, just NG+ (which I guess is harder) and some other stuff.

These games are already huge and I never played NG+ in this serie as a result, but yes it was definitely a terrible move from Sega.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
12h in and still on chapter 3. Side stories and mini games pop-up and I just end up doing them.

Most of them are classic Yakuza non-sense, which is amazing as usual.

Bike mini-game is crazy fun.

About the main reveal in chapter 3:

I was 99% sure Kiryu was somehow dying, but I gotta be honest, that's not the way I expected him to get cancer. Seemed quite random to be honest.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Found someone with brains hotter than their bodies.
LikeADragon8_2024_02_04_12_56_32_864.png

Is Chitose's random wandering VA just her going all " 💝Ichibaaaaaahhhhn💗" or is it some other Japanese word?
LikeADragon8_2024_02_01_09_50_49_600.png

LikeADragon8_2024_02_01_09_50_29_351.png

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I agree the day one dlc is a scummy move but it does not contain any difficulty setting, just NG+ (which I guess is harder) and some other stuff.

These games are already huge and I never played NG+ in this serie as a result, but yes it was definitely a terrible move from Sega.
Includes:
- New Game+ (Normal, Hard, Legend)

I wouldn't say it's enitrely true, because 3 difficulty levels are tied to NG+. The only common thing is that no one gets to pick their difficulty for the first playthrough, assuming I read that right.

PanzerCute

Includes:
- New Game+ (Normal, Hard, Legend)

I wouldn't say it's enitrely true, because 3 difficulty levels are tied to NG+. The only common thing is that no one gets to pick their difficulty for the first playthrough, assuming I read that right.
There was not this detail on the DLC page on the french store, my bad.

But yeah, no difficulty setting for the first playthrough, I would have been pissed if it was behind a paywall (and I'm a bit disappointed that we don't have a hard mode from the get go)

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Was reading the lyrics for Hands, Kiryu's karaoke song, and since back then they've been hinting us...

1dELJMc.png

Last edited:

Isa

Its crazy the amount of content in this game, plus the quality of the writing. So many laugh out loud moments had my girl and I laughing hard. Still in Chapter 5 doing side content, roughly 28 hrs in. The combat in this is amazing, Sega gets it man. Its so fast paced with a lot of variety in options. Nearing the end of the Sujimon stuff I think.

SCB3

So onto Chapter 3 now and I was for sure they'd learnt from Lost Judgement's tone but nope

I have no issue with the Humor parts in these games but I love it when they're kept separate from the main story which is going for something more serious, Lad and Lost Judgement did this really well but this one not as much, its fine and not a big deal but the tonal shifts can sorta knock you out of the immersion a bit

On the plus side, Hawaii is gorgeous! I've never been but like Yakuza did with Japan, its making me wanna go and say Aloha to everyone, aside from the Barracudas of course, they are some scary fuckers compared to the Clans in Japan

SCB3

So onto Chapter 3 now and I was for sure they'd learnt from Lost Judgement's tone but nope

I have no issue with the Humor parts in these games but I love it when they're kept separate from the main story which is going for something more serious, Lad and Lost Judgement did this really well but this one not as much, its fine and not a big deal but the tonal shifts can sorta knock you out of the immersion a bit

On the plus side, Hawaii is gorgeous! I've never been but like Yakuza did with Japan, its making me wanna go and say Aloha to everyone, aside from the Barracudas of course, they are some scary fuckers compared to the Clans in Japan
To illustrate my point here, take Chapter 4 as a perfect example of incongruency (some spoilers for chapter 3 here)

You have Kiryu tell you all about his Cancer and how he got it (which is kind of a copout, but thats another story) and this devastating news and this now renewed focus on getting this stuff done as he doesn't have long.

The very next missions are to find the garage to upgrade your gear and then a long story of the Sujimon game within a game, all silly stuff, that is side stuff but you are forced to play the first parts, its such a tonal shift it actively hurts the story its trying to tell

Now do not get me wrong, I actually do love the side stuff, the Sujimon game is really good and the Escape Room side mission was really fun, but it needs to just be left as side stuff and not foreced upon the play who may just want a serious story, there is room for both, it just needs that separation a bit more

xrnzaaas

Workshop isn't silly stuff imo, it's a useful short introduction to crafting. I will agree with Sujimon and especially with Dondoko later in the game. They shouldn't be a part of the main story and Dondoko shouldn't take this long before players are allowed to resume the main quest.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
The Sujimon side stuff is really good. They even joke with gacha via the spinning balls near the Sujishop counter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In terms of content its a game worth the money for sure, even though they locked ng+.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Just reached 4 stars at Dodonko Island, such an addictive and fleshed-out side activity. I am terrible at this and I cant stop laughing when I see my island and my house (I just accumulated stuff in it with absolutely no logic, it is ridiculous)

I understand what you mean but I also like this new tone: it's pure Sega batshit insanity.
And I think this is also one of the reason they changed the name of the series.

Last edited:

SCB3

Just reached 4 stars at Dodonko Island, such an addictive and fleshed-out side activity. I am terrible at this and I cant stop laughing when I see my island and my house (I just accumulated stuff in it with absolutely no logic, it is ridiculous)

I understand what you mean but I also like this new tone: it's pure Sega batshit insanity.
And I think this is also one of the reason they changed the name of the series.
Oh yea don't get me wrong, I don't hold it against it at all

They changed the name due to the connotations of having a negative name like "Yakuza" on the game title, and to be fair after 7, the Yakuza is no longer existing in game

PanzerCute

The Sujimon sub plot actually has the toughest content in the game so far. The 2nd trainer (queen) is kicking my ass.
She kicked my ass too, I had to completely change my Sujimons and spend some money on it. I am almost at rank gold now and I am "afraid" the next boss is gonna be even harder.

Mossybrew

The 20 foot tall clowns the first time you hit up the Labyrinth, fuckin lmao. This game always finds a way to make me laugh.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, he says that may not have been the reason but it's quite the suspect activity. And it (not the potential cause) was known from the trailers, yes...

Weird some (unrelated to the above) story beats happen a bit differently in the demo (to me some seemed better, probably because I played it first).
2024_02_04_03_30_42.jpg

Last edited:

SCB3

Okay....I am glad someone else found this was weird and a really kind of lame way to introduce the plot point.
I thought I had missed something in one of the other games.
Its especially weird when he explains how as well, can't be a normal way, always a reason lol

Anyway into Chapter 4/5 and the story is good and the tonal shifts are fine so far but the story is

Batshit insane and no long grounded at all, how and why is there a super secret underground shopping mall, as if this would never be noticed at all, I get a warehouse but this is pushing my believability a bit here

On the plus side:

More of this fine woman, is she based on a real model? Cause if not, well done RGG modellers, well fucking done!

SCB3

So I'm partway through Chapter 5 now, is it just me who feels like Kiryu really feels a bit of place here, I get why he's here (he always wanted to go to Hawaii and for player familiarity I suppose) but after Gaiden it felt like his story was mostly wrapped up and if they wanted to go all in on Ichiban being the main protagonist then this would've been the perfect place to start

Just started playing and the game is perfect so far. I just got to the part where:

Kiryu revealed his cancer diagnosis to Ichiban and Takizawa in the hotel room during one of the earlier chapters. This scene was especially sad because instead of being able to tell the people that he knew and cared about the most (Haruka, Majima, Daigo, etc) he was revealing it to two people he barely knew.

He only met Ichiban a couple of times beforehand, and he just met Takizawa. It gave me the impression that the only reason why Kiryu told them was because he wanted someone, anyone, to know what was happening to him, and these two people who he barely knew, were currently the closest people to him right now.

Sad stuff, I'm not ready for what's to come.

SCB3

Wait a second, I have a question about the Japanese Language setting, are the characters that speak English also being doing by the Japanese VAs?

I just met Bryce and he is clearly American but speaking in English in a strange accent, almost like it was a Japanese VA doing the English voice as well

EDIT: Holy shit it is! I just went and checked a YT video of this scene on the English Dub and he has a completely different voice, what the fuck is this shit? Was it that hard to just use the actual English dub for those parts?

Proof:
JP Dub:

English:

Same Scene

Last edited:
Wait a second, I have a question about the Japanese Language setting, are the characters that speak English also being doing by the Japanese VAs?

I just met Bryce and he is clearly American but speaking in English in a strange accent, almost like it was a Japanese VA doing the English voice as well

EDIT: Holy shit it is! I just went and checked a YT video of this scene on the English Dub and he has a completely different voice, what the fuck is this shit? Was it that hard to just use the actual English dub for those parts?
Yeah, in Japanese dub English speaking characters still speak English, but it is obvious they are voiced over by Japanese folks lol.

SCB3

Yeah, in Japanese dub English speaking characters still speak English, but it is obvious they are voiced over by Japanese folks lol.
Why though? It screams laziness tbh, this was my kinda fear when they set this in Hawaii, you cannot do both Languages convicingly if you stick to one set of VA

Edit: oh my godd I cannot stop laughing at how bad this is, the next scene is even worse! I may have to switch it to English and put up with Yong Yea at this point

Last edited:

SCB3

So I was waiting for this part as the last game had it, a time and pace breaker, wtf is this Island shit, it screeches the pace of the game to a halt

guys wtf

I loaded up the game, and all my saves are like 2 days old. All the progress I made from the last few days is gone. It's as if my data had been corrupted or something and the ps5 had to get old saves from the cloud, but I never got notified or saw anything like that happening. dammit

Finally got my resort up to 5 stars, was completely hooked and this feels like the end of a journey within a journey, so damn good. Having said that it's nice to get back to focusing on the story, some very cool things are happening with the central narrative, can't wait to see what happens next!

Dammit...I wanna play but I've just been moping since all my save data mysteriously reverted back 2 days in the past...

I've never had something like this happen without some kind of crash or something to explain why.

Man what a frikkin bummer. Better suck it up and jump back in I guess. 1st world problems, I know

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dammit...I wanna play but I've just been moping since all my save data mysteriously reverted back 2 days in the past...

I've never had something like this happen without some kind of crash or something to explain why.

Man what a frikkin bummer. Better suck it up and jump back in I guess. 1st world problems, I know
I hear ya, I had this happen to my Hogwarts Legacy save file last year - and even though I really enjoyed the game I just never went back to it after losing about 15 hours on my save (steam cloud save issue).

On PlayStation I've had this happen a few times too - where the software got updated while my console was in rest mode, and for some reason the update wiped out my save file, so it reverted to the last time I had cleanly closed the software (and it had uploaded to the cloud).

On PlayStation I've had this happen a few times too - where the software got updated while my console was in rest mode, and for some reason the update wiped out my save file, so it reverted to the last time I had cleanly closed the software (and it had uploaded to the cloud).
Then that might be what happened to me. I didn't use rest mode too much in the past but I've begun using it frequently lately

SCB3

Finally off this damned Island in Chapter 5,

ok I'll admit this mode has some potential and I can see the fun, but placing a close to 2-3 hour mandatory quest in the middle of a pivotal story plot is fucking horrendous for the games pace and makes me never wanna go back and get my Resort rating up at all

This is the exact same issue I had with the first LaD and the Business building game, forcing me to play a complete side mode for hours instead of the main story just pisses me off more than anything and makes me hate it

Top Bottom