• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semoreh

The Bit.Trip from what I read is a worse version of the Wii compilation they did years ago so I'll be passing on that but I'm in for Runner 2 on Vita.

Really ? I thought it was exactly the same :x

So, in conclusion, these are all the newly announced games, correct?

Pang Adventures (PS4)
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae (PS4)
Astebreed (PS4)
Drive! Drive! Drive (PS4)
Tharsis Limited Edition (PS4)

The Bit.Trip Limited Edition (PS4/PSVita)
Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien Limited Edition (PS4/PSVita) (2 cover variants)

Pang Adventures : Why not...
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae : looks cheap af. Good reviews on steam, low reviews elsewhere. Not sure...
Astebreed : Yes !
Drive!x3 : very obscure. Meh.
Tharsis : quite obscure, but I'll have to check it out.

Bit.Trip : why not. I already have the Wii physical version though.
Runner 2 : Yes !

Conclusion : 2 games I'm looking forward. A lot of meh.

Sylwest

I think I'm in for just Runner 2 and maybe Astebreed. I guess that means my wallet is relatively safe. For now. Are there more games coming in March and April?

I'm in for Runner 2 on Vita and Astebreed. It's been a while since I bought anything from LRG, glad to change that soon though. Is safe to assume that Runner 2 will be $20 and Astebreed will be $30?

Really ? I thought it was exactly the same
The review I read said that the new challenges they added in the Wii compilation aren't present in the PS4/Vita version.

Ventara

Eh, not really digging these announcements, except Astebreed. Will pick up the two Bit Trip games for Vita along with Astebreed, and maybe Tharsis or Mitsurugi if they end up going on sale with the Vita games. Or if we can combine orders again.

Edit: So Bit Trip is basically just the 3DS version? I recently picked that up so I might just return it.

hawk2025

My only wish was that Bit Trip 2 was updated with a platinum, but other than that this is a crazy good set of announcements.

I want them all!

Tapejara

Got my Swapper and Curses N' Chaos today!

Thoughts on the new games:

Choice Provisions stuff: yay!

Playism stuff: Astebreed is nice. I played a bit of Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae on PC and thought it was meh, so I'll be skipping that one.

Hopefully with Playism games coming it means Prismatic Solid is on the table.

The Bit.Trip from what I read is a worse version of the Wii compilation they did years ago so I'll be passing on that but I'm in for Runner 2 on Vita.

The PS4 version is pretty decent, but two of the games (Bit.trip Beat and Bit.trip Flux) control poorly due to the lack of precise motion controls. Both games have you control a paddle on the left side of the screen to deflect incoming projectiles, which controls really well with a mouse (and I would presume well with Wii Motion Plus as well). Unfortunately on PS4 the game relies on gyro controls which is a huge step down from playing with something 1:1 like a mouse, making the trickier sections in both games quite frustrating. I don't think the game supports Move, but that would do a lot to alleviate my issues with the port. The Vita version fared a bit better in regards to gyro controls, but it still didn't feel "right".

Pang Adventures : Why not...
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae : looks cheap af. Good reviews on steam, low reviews elsewhere. Not sure...
Astebreed : Yes !
Drive!x3 : very obscure. Meh.
Tharsis : quite obscure, but I'll have to check it out.

Bit.Trip : why not. I already have the Wii physical version though.
Runner 2 : Yes !

Conclusion : 2 games I'm looking forward. A lot of meh.

Also not sure what to think about Mitsurugi. Could prove to be very repetitive. I've looked at gameplay videos of Drive! Drive! Drive! and Tharsis briefly. The former is very stylish, but doesn't look all that interesting on the gameplay front. Tharsis looks like it could be fun.

I've never played Astebreed, and not sure what to think of that "melee" shoot 'em up subgenre. Want to pick up Radirgy some day, so I might as well give this one a try.

Jimm

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae is fun, but it's a like 2-3 hour long game. It's essentially 3 different combat arenas and you fight waves of like 3 enemy types over and over and over.
You can replay for high scores and combos, but it HONESTLY feels like an unfinished game or something that was done for a tech demo.

I'm still going to buy it to support LRG and games like this, and I am one of the few people that enjoyed it but I enjoy the technical aspect. Most of the Steam reviews are literally just "10/10 I saw panties" because the game has been <$5 multiple times.
This is my impressions from the PC version I don't know if the PS4 version differs. I honestly doubt it.

So after consideration, I think I might buy Runner 2 after all. No interest in Bit.Trip though. And I might buy Drive Drive Drive, but I'd rather had it on Vita.

I had a revelation about that last night. A while ago Doug said some devs were considering Vita ports if LRG could promise them x amount of physical copies sold as a guarantee. I know he was talking about Tribute Games with Mercenary Kings, but maybe he can use that persuasion to get the dev of DDD to get the Vita version up and running.

It was in his plans when he announced the game, so I'm sure he could be convinced...

Semoreh

The review I read said that the new challenges they added in the Wii compilation aren't present in the PS4/Vita version.

The PS4 version is pretty decent, but two of the games (Bit.trip Beat and Bit.trip Flux) control poorly due to the lack of precise motion controls. Both games have you control a paddle on the left side of the screen to deflect incoming projectiles, which controls really well with a mouse (and I would presume well with Wii Motion Plus as well). Unfortunately on PS4 the game relies on gyro controls which is a huge step down from playing with something 1:1 like a mouse, making the trickier sections in both games quite frustrating. I don't think the game supports Move, but that would do a lot to alleviate my issues with the port. The Vita version fared a bit better in regards to gyro controls, but it still didn't feel "right".

'K, I'm keeping my Bit.Trip Complete Wii and I'm not double dipping then ^^

Weevilone

Eh, not really digging these announcements, except Astebreed. Will pick up the two Bit Trip games for Vita along with Astebreed, and maybe Tharsis or Mitsurugi if they end up going on sale with the Vita games. Or if we can combine orders again.

Edit: So Bit Trip is basically just the 3DS version? I recently picked that up so I might just return it.

Agreed, this is mostly a glut of stuff I don't want. I feel like we're starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Agreed, this is mostly a glut of stuff I don't want. I feel like we're starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Are you kidding me? We're not releasing "My Name Is Mayo" here - everything we announced today has reviewed well. Pang is a modern update on a popular Japanese series, Astebreed is an incredibly well-reviewed SHMUP, Runner2 + BIT.TRIP are indie classics. Douglas and I really enjoyed Drive!Drive!Drive!, Tharsis, and Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae - they're solid games!

Our goal from the start wasn't just to preserve games with prominence or Metacritic scores > 80. Obscure games deserve preservation too. You can legitimately say we're scraping the bottom of the barrel when we release "Life of Black Tiger". We're nowhere near that yet.

Are you kidding me? We're not releasing "My Name Is Mayo" here - everything we announced today has reviewed well. Pang is a modern update on a popular Japanese series, Astebreed is an incredibly well-reviewed SHMUP, Runner2 + BIT.TRIP are indie classics. Douglas and I really enjoyed Drive!Drive!Drive!, Tharsis, and Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae - they're solid games!

Our goal from the start wasn't just to preserve games with prominence or Metacritic scores > 80. Obscure games deserve preservation too. You can legitimately say we're scraping the bottom of the barrel when we release "Life of Black Tiger". We're nowhere near that yet.

Opinions and such on a forum, don't take them too seriously or you'll burn out/build resentment. We appreciate the things you people are doing and I am personally happy for every game that gets a physical release, even ones I may not play, since there is definitely other people that would want them. But again that doesn't mean that everyone is going to enjoy/desire every game you put out and being a general gaming forum where there are people that will unironically call even "Metacritic scores > 80" games hot garbage you can't expect only positive reactions.

Hm, so the Vita ports of Runner 1 & 2 aren't any good? These were high up on my list but are there any better physical versions available?

Apparently the Vita port of Runner 2 is good. People were just saying that The Bit Trip isn't the best version.

Calm down! Plenty of people are happy with it and I'm sure when you sell out, no-one will care that some people were a bit disappointed.

And besides, I'm here pushing for you to try and get Gordon to finish porting Drive Drive Drive to Vita so clearly there's people out there happy about that one! :p

Weevilone

Didn't mean to ruin breakfast. Things have been pretty good so far and you hit a number of titles that really needed a physical release, but the last batch isn't exciting to me. Honestly doesn't always matter if things review well. Some things aren't interesting to the point it's worth checking reviews, if that makes sense. I mean there are games that review well, but people don't even bother downloading when they're "free" PS+ titles.

Anyways, just my opinion. Some will agree, some won't. I'm sure people will buy them to keep collections whole either way. I do think the value proposition gets sketchy when we're paying $25+ for titles that were practically free on Steam. The pricing model generally works, but then certain titles just crater on PC at times.

Anyways you guys are going to need thicker skin. There is going to be a bell curve of responses to a lot of releases, just how it is. Not every game will be Dariusburst.

Tapejara

Choice Provisions actually tried to do this. Sony didn't allow it. :(

Assuming they wanted to update the original trophy list with a platinum, yeah, I don't think will let you do that lol. They only let you add trophies to DLC lists (I'm not a dev, just a guy who's followed trophies/trophy lists for a long time now). I'd be really surprised if they had planned to count the LRG version as a new SKU with a platinum - similar to what EAS did for Soldner-X 2 - and Sony had denied that.

In any case, I'm still buying. Runner 2 is an amazing game and I'm glad you guys were able to sign it.

Hoping for Mutant Football League and SmuggleCraft. Quite frequently I am work when these go live and it leaves me in the dust. The recent collaboration with Thunder Lotus on Sundered meant I could get in without having to worry about it.

Are you kidding me? We're not releasing "My Name Is Mayo" here - everything we announced today has reviewed well.

You can legitimately say we're scraping the bottom of the barrel when we release "Life of Black Tiger". We're nowhere near that yet.

Our goal from the start wasn't just to preserve games with prominence or Metacritic scores > 80. Obscure games deserve preservation too.

Dat contradiction. ;-)

He's saying that not all obscure games are garbage, like "Life of Black Tiger". Just because a game is obscure does not make it bad. Many are fantastic games that should be preserved.

Hobbun

Sorry Josh, but have to agree with some of the others. This latest batch just doesn't interest me all that much, and I've been a supporter, for all but a couple, since Saturday Morning RPG.

Astebreed does look like fun, so will definitely be going for that.

id buy my name is mayo physical as a joke.

edit: im not seeing a big problem if they announce stuff i dont need to buy? more money to spend on other stuff?

Drain You

Nbe74TR.jpg

Finally, thank God.

I couldn't agree more. Hopefully its packaged nicely.

I read the PS4 Silver Case will have some extra content. I'm assuming this won't be on the PC version shipping out soon? I can't remember when I read about the content.

I've never played Astebreed, and not sure what to think of that "melee" shoot 'em up subgenre. Want to pick up Radirgy some day, so I might as well give this one a try.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a stretch to take it as a serious shoot em' up with regard to scoring and technical difficulty. That doesn't mean it isn't any fun. It's a beautiful looking game and it plays well. The PS4 release includes some additional features and improved textures that make it the definitive version.

There is a PC demo if you want to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom