• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech responds about PS4 wheel support - Sony demands advanced security

schwupp

i´ve been reading up on this whole dongle mess.
did i get it correct that i can use any pc wheel / controller connected to a pc via a cronusmax on a ps4 via a tool like MaxAim DI?

i couldnt find any info on input lag - did anyone actually try this here?

Shaneus

I'd be interested in getting the TX or T500 working on a 360 if it was possible.
Oh god, I didn't even consider that adapter could be worthwhile in using a G27 on the 360. I would be so in on playing PGR4 (and 3, and FM4) with it. Maybe even 2 as well on the OG Xbox, but I don't think that ever had any kind of FFB whatsoever.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
i´ve been reading up on this whole dongle mess.
did i get it correct that i can use any pc wheel / controller connected to a pc via a cronusmax on a ps4 via a tool like MaxAim DI?

That is correct. And according to Picklock, there is no input lag. The only thing missing is *proper and true* force feedback support, but they have hinted that this will be included in the upcoming version 2.0 of ChronusMax. *IF* they succeed, then I suspect it is going to be a real game changer, and will actually help sell a lot more Xbones and PS4s.

What they've already accomplished with MaxAim DI is simply incredible. That really opens the doors for all kinds of possibilities. It essentially allows you the freedom you already have with your PC controller options, and brings that over to the console space:

Have an old defunct Logitech or Microsoft steering wheel that was made 20 years ago that works only on PC? No problem.....if it works on PC then it'll work on the PS4/XBone.

Have a set of industrial pedals that are designed to work only on PC? No problem, they'll work on the console via MaxAim DI.

Want to adjust steering sensitivity of your Logitech wheel beyond what the console game allows within the game? No problem....make the adjustments in the Logitech PC profiler and you're good to go via MaxAim DI.

Want to remap your shifter buttons all around to something totally different? MaxAim DI allows this and then some.

It really is amazing and I'm very excited to see that's in store for the new version.

I am saving up for Berney's wheel and *if* can get one sometime next year, and find out that it will fully work with a PS4 and Xbox One via the new CM 2.0, I'd probably be willing to go as far actually buying both new gen consoles and actually gasp.....return to console racing.

But those are big ifs so we'll see ;)

Oh god, I didn't even consider that adapter could be worthwhile in using a G27 on the 360. I would be so in on playing PGR4 (and 3, and FM4) with it. Maybe even 2 as well on the OG Xbox, but I don't think that ever had any kind of FFB whatsoever.

That's right. And FYI the OG Xbox actually *does* support FFB. OutRun 2006 and RalliSport Challenge does. I had one of the very first Fanatec wheels from 2003 and used to play them with it, FFB and all.

Shaneus

That's right. And FYI the OG Xbox actually *does* support FFB. OutRun 2006 and RalliSport Challenge does. I had one of the very first Fanatec wheels from 2003 and used to play them with it, FFB and all.
Holy shit. I'd love to play Outrun C2C w/ the strength of G27 FFB. Definitive version.

schwupp

That is correct. And according to Picklock, there is no input lag. The only thing missing is *proper and true* force feedback support, but they have hinted that this will be included in the upcoming version 2.0 of ChronusMax.

guess i´ll give it a try :) - but after reading some more with the titan one not cronusmax since the dev switched companies.

DirtyLarry

Titan One seems to be same kind of device as Cronusmax...
So can anyone with some experience with one of these things possibly chime in?
Specifically, I am wondering if I purchase this device right now if it means I can use my Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel from the 360 on my One and my Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel on either the PS4 or One (my pockets were not deep enough for the G27 sorry). $60 to use both those wheels is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

GoaThief

So can anyone with some experience with one of these things possibly chime in?
Specifically, I am wondering if I purchase this device right now if it means I can use my Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel from the 360 on my One and my Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel on either the PS4 or One (my pockets were not deep enough for the G27 sorry). $60 to use both those wheels is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.
Exactly the same boat as you.

Anyone know?

I would seriously hold off on buying one of those adapters if you are serious about using a wheel. A user on the FM forums gave his impressions.

I used a CronusMAX for a while with a g27 and the XBox One. It's not a straightforward process and it's not worth it. The process and results will be the same no matter what wheel you use, g27, fanatec, etc...

You have to hook a regular xbox one controller to the end of the cronusmax, plug the cronusmax into the console, then run a cable from the side of a cronusmax to a PC, then plug the wheel into the PC. you run an application on the PC which translates the input from the wheel into the signals an xbox 360 game pad would send, then that gets sent to the cronusmax which translates those signals into what an xbox one controller would send.

If you look at how that works you can see that the xbox one and Forza 5 will see a gamepad controller as the device controlling the game, not a wheel. The force feedback signals on a controller are different than on a wheel because they are different control schemes, so while there is force feedback, it's controller force feedback causing the wheel to vibrate in interesting but unrealistic ways. running over rumble strips on the left side of the track will cause the wheel to vibrate, but on the right side it does not. losing grip causes the wheel to vibrate which is not the same signal it would be sending if it could recognize that it was a wheel. So while it is sending feedback it's not useful feedback.

You have to have the wheel at 180 degrees of rotation and even then it's not completely linear because remember it's just emulating thumbstick movement which is not linear.

It's an interesting exercise but it's not really all that great. I wanted to have one wheel for all platforms (I play a lot of FM5 and GT6, still play a bit of FM4 as well, and really like Asetto Corsa on the PC) but this just isn't the solution to that.

Shaneus

I would seriously hold off on buying one of those adapters if you are serious about using a wheel. A user on the FM forums gave his impressions.
I wonder if it'll be much (if any) different with the rumoured v2.0?

Edit: Could that be an outdated impression and maybe the interface has improved? I figured maybe it would require usage of the dongle *and* a plugged-in controller, but a PC as well? There's no way latency would be low enough for it to be usable, never mind the convoluted setup.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I imagine the gamepad emulation would have to remain? That could kill the usability completely deoending on how the game handles controller steering. Won't most games have some kind of non linear curve? I suppose the PC software could compensate but it sounds messy.

thanks. I wouldn't be buying this thing until the new version came around(if I ever would), but it's still good to know what I might be dealing with.

Nhutty

Would love for these adaptors to work and work well, but I am wary about future SONY firmwares rendering these adaptors useless.

I'll hold onto my G27 and if PS4 won't support it going forward then I guess I'll have to do all my racing on the PC

Mascot

Don't Sony and MS realise that I'd buy their fucking consoles if my Fanatec worked with them?

Short-sighted twatwaffle companies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I used a CronusMAX for a while with a g27 and the XBox One. It's not a straightforward process and it's not worth it. The process and results will be the same no matter what wheel you use, g27, fanatec, etc...

You have to hook a regular xbox one controller to the end of the cronusmax, plug the cronusmax into the console, then run a cable from the side of a cronusmax to a PC, then plug the wheel into the PC. you run an application on the PC which translates the input from the wheel into the signals an xbox 360 game pad would send, then that gets sent to the cronusmax which translates those signals into what an xbox one controller would send.

If you look at how that works you can see that the xbox one and Forza 5 will see a gamepad controller as the device controlling the game, not a wheel. The force feedback signals on a controller are different than on a wheel because they are different control schemes, so while there is force feedback, it's controller force feedback causing the wheel to vibrate in interesting but unrealistic ways. running over rumble strips on the left side of the track will cause the wheel to vibrate, but on the right side it does not. losing grip causes the wheel to vibrate which is not the same signal it would be sending if it could recognize that it was a wheel. So while it is sending feedback it's not useful feedback.

You have to have the wheel at 180 degrees of rotation and even then it's not completely linear because remember it's just emulating thumbstick movement which is not linear.

It's an interesting exercise but it's not really all that great. I wanted to have one wheel for all platforms (I play a lot of FM5 and GT6, still play a bit of FM4 as well, and really like Asetto Corsa on the PC) but this just isn't the solution to that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is the reason why I indicated in one of my previous posts to hold off for now on buying the ChronusMax. Wait until version 2.0 comes out. I do not work for the company so I have absolutely NO idea whether or not they will be able to pull off what they're trying to do. But *IF* they succeed in changing the CM adapter so that the consoles think it is an actual supported FFB Steering wheel, then that will indeed be a huge game changer!!!! It will essentially make everything that guy from the FM Forum said completely irrelevant with regards to the way your wheel feels.

It's basic logic and common sense really....if your Xbone or PS4 thinks the Chronus is a wheel, it will "talk" to it in the proper language, giving it full compatibility and thus they will play nice together. However, as long as the console thinks you're using a gamepad with two analog sticks, then of course you're going to get strange behavior from your wheel and it ends up feeling like shit, as with the current ChronusMax.

So yeah, not recommended for the current version, but wait until 2.0 comes out and let's see if they can pull it off. If they pull it off for 2.0, and all indications from what I've read seems to be that they will, then I cannot stress enough how much of a game changer it will be. You will get TRUE force feedback with your wheel!

This is the reason why I indicated in one of my previous posts to hold off for now on buying the ChronusMax. Wait until version 2.0 comes out. I do not work for the company so I have absolutely NO idea whether or not they will be able to pull off what they're trying to do. But *IF* they succeed in changing the CM adapter so that the consoles think it is an actual supported FFB Steering wheel, then that will indeed be a huge game changer!!!! It will essentially make everything that guy from the FM Forum said completely irrelevant with regards to the way your wheel feels.

It's basic logic and common sense really....if your Xbone or PS4 thinks the Chronus is a wheel, it will "talk" to it in the proper language, giving it full compatibility and thus they will play nice together. However, as long as the console thinks you're using a gamepad with two analog sticks, then of course you're going to get strange behavior from your wheel and it ends up feeling like shit, as with the current ChronusMax.

So yeah, not recommended for the current version, but wait until 2.0 comes out and let's see if they can pull it off. If they pull it off for 2.0, and all indications from what I've read seems to be that they will, then I cannot stress enough how much of a game changer it will be. You will get TRUE force feedback with your wheel!

Obviously if V2 gets it working its a game changer. But I would still wait for impressions from long time posters, who don't have a questionable post history.

isamu

Obviously if V2 gets it working its a game changer. But I would still wait for impressions from long time posters, who don't have a questionable post history.

Of course, absolutely.

Mascot

I can imagine them resolving the communication issues but not eliminating the input lag. Hope it doesn't end up being a deal-breaker.

I'm guessing a few milliseconds of input lag with a wheel/pedal set-up isn't quite so important (or noticeable) as it is for a twitch shooter, but it would be a crying shame if it fucked the whole project.

isamu

I can imagine them resolving the communication issues but not eliminating the input lag. Hope it doesn't end up being a deal-breaker.

I'm guessing a few milliseconds of input lag with a wheel/pedal set-up isn't quite so important (or noticeable) as it is for a twitch shooter, but it would be a crying shame if it fucked the whole project.

Hi Mascot, I probably missed it, but can you point to where someone said there was any input lag? I don't recall seeing anyone mention it anywhere. In fact PickLock said there is no input lag whatsoever using CM

GoaThief

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll hold off for now.

Mouse and keyboard input was a little tempting extra too, but I guess it would be a bit odd too.

Mascot

Hi Mascot, I probably missed it, but can you point to where someone said there was any input lag? I don't recall seeing anyone mention it anywhere. In fact PickLock said there is no input lag whatsoever using CM

Sorry, it was pure speculation from me based on the additional hardware links in the chain of communication and the necessary translating of data. There has to be some lag introduced, doesn't there? Basic laws of physics and stuff?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just don't understand how they are suddenly going to be sending information to the console that the console interprets as wheel data, if the only thing you have plugged in for authentication is a controller. Seems like a fundamental hurdle to me

Don't know if it's comparable but I had an adapter for mouse and keyboards on the 360 (bought it to use my arcade stick before the MadCatz were released) and the input lag was terrible. Sold that shit the same week.

A wheel might not have shown input lag up so much compared to the precision needed on a fighter. Maybe a reviewer with the means to test it thoroughly will take a look should they take off.

Jilt

Hi All,

I walked into one of Hollands biggest electronics stores and saw the Logitech G27 prices at 209 euro's. That is the lowest I have ever seen this.
I have seen this twice before, once was with the DFGT being overstocked and they needed it to be sold quickly, there was a 50 euro discount. The other time was with the G25 being replaced with the G27.

So which one is going on here?

I understand Logitech went out of the console gaming business, but do they have something up there sleeve?

Or am I being a tad bit too optimistic 8D

Hi All,

I walked into one of Hollands biggest electronics stores and saw the Logitech G27 prices at 209 euro's. That is the lowest I have ever seen this.
I have seen this twice before, once was with the DFGT being overstocked and they needed it to be sold quickly, there was a 50 euro discount. The other time was with the G25 being replaced with the G27.

So which one is going on here?

I understand Logitech went out of the console gaming business, but do they have something up there sleeve?

Or am I being a tad bit too optimistic 8D

There was a rumor last year about them making a wheel to replace the G27 but it kind of dried up a few months after. It could still happen, but if it does you might not here anything until GT7 is announced. Project Cars and DC aren't big enough franchises to move wheels like a new GT would.

DieH@rd

Banned
One thing is for sure, GT7 will not have T300 as official wheel. That is a nice wheel, but it does not have manual shifter and clutch, and Kazunori will most likely not support wheels like that.

I can see T500 again being official GT wheel, but hopefully by then Thrustmaster or Logitech will release something new.

le-seb

One thing is for sure, GT7 will not have T300 as official wheel. That is a nice wheel, but it does not have manual shifter and clutch, and Kazunori will most likely not support wheels like that.

I can see T500 again being official GT wheel, but hopefully by then Thrustmaster or Logitech will release something new.
Two thoughts:
1. The T300RS has a manual shifter (TH8RS, same as with the T500RS, or even the newer TH8A)
2. Driving competitively using the clutch pedal in GT is almost impossible, so I'm not sure a clutch pedal is that critical to Kaz

Jilt

There was a rumor last year about them making a wheel to replace the G27 but it kind of dried up a few months after. It could still happen, but if it does you might not here anything until GT7 is announced. Project Cars and DC aren't big enough franchises to move wheels like a new GT would.

I Agree with this. Plus it seems that Thrustmaster is close with SMS for Project Cars, so Logitech won't have any grounds to stand on.
As rumoured in http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141746512&postcount=7878 it is quite possible that a new steering wheel is coming to GT7. Might it be Logitech though?!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Logitech DFGT is an official GT wheel and it only has a sequential shifter and no clutch

hesido

That is correct. And according to Picklock, there is no input lag. The only thing missing is *proper and true* force feedback support, but they have hinted that this will be included in the upcoming version 2.0 of ChronusMax. *IF* they succeed, then I suspect it is going to be a real game changer, and will actually help sell a lot more Xbones and PS4s.

What they've already accomplished with MaxAim DI is simply incredible. That really opens the doors for all kinds of possibilities. It essentially allows you the freedom you already have with your PC controller options, and brings that over to the console space:

Have an old defunct Logitech or Microsoft steering wheel that was made 20 years ago that works only on PC? No problem.....if it works on PC then it'll work on the PS4/XBone.

Have a set of industrial pedals that are designed to work only on PC? No problem, they'll work on the console via MaxAim DI.

Want to adjust steering sensitivity of your Logitech wheel beyond what the console game allows within the game? No problem....make the adjustments in the Logitech PC profiler and you're good to go via MaxAim DI.

Want to remap your shifter buttons all around to something totally different? MaxAim DI allows this and then some.

It really is amazing and I'm very excited to see that's in store for the new version.

I am saving up for Berney's wheel and *if* can get one sometime next year, and find out that it will fully work with a PS4 and Xbox One via the new CM 2.0, I'd probably be willing to go as far actually buying both new gen consoles and actually gasp.....return to console racing.

But those are big ifs so we'll see ;)

This is awesome sauce... My logitech wheel has a problem with brakes, registering %1-2 brake even when not pressed. As GT didn't have a deadzone setting for wheels, this caused great problems (it is said to be a hardware issue, but should have been easily worked around through software, which GT doesn't allow.) But I need that realistic force feedback. Like when you are turning your wheel when the car is stationary, the wheel goes back slightly just like a real car. When your tires lose contact with the surface, the wheel suddenly loosens. Those are superb.

Two thoughts:
1. The T300RS has a manual shifter (TH8RS, same as with the T500RS, or even the newer TH8A)
2. Driving competitively using the clutch pedal in GT is almost impossible, so I'm not sure a clutch pedal is that critical to Kaz

The T3pa pedals also exist with a clutch. I have them and they are really good, not as good as my clubsport pedals but leagues better than the stock pedal set.

Big problem however is that thrustmaster is under producing their accessories to meet the demand. I was lucky to grab the pedals in August but have not been able to find the shifter anywhere. Now both items are out of stock at every online retailer.

It might be a U.S. issue though since I have heard of people ordering them directly from the Thrustmaster store, something that doesn't exist in the U.S.. I check Amazon daily!

isamu

This is awesome sauce... My logitech wheel has a problem with brakes, registering %1-2 brake even when not pressed. As GT didn't have a deadzone setting for wheels, this caused great problems (it is said to be a hardware issue, but should have been easily worked around through software, which GT doesn't allow.) But I need that realistic force feedback. Like when you are turning your wheel when the car is stationary, the wheel goes back slightly just like a real car. When your tires lose contact with the surface, the wheel suddenly loosens. Those are superb.

Hi hesido. I understand that you're enthusiastic about what I wrote in that post, but please keep in mind I am now supporting the TitanOne, and I recommend you do the same. Take everything I wrote in that post and apply to the TitanOne. Jefferson is the originator and original designer of this whole concept. Please read this thread to see what he has planned for FFB wheel support on ALL consoles across ALL wheels. ChronusMax will never bring out their so called "CM v2.0" with true and proper FFB wheel support.

http://www.consoletuner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=199&start=10

IISANDERII

Sony demands advanced security
hMd7JQb.gif

Shaneus

Hi hesido. I understand that you're enthusiastic about what I wrote in that post, but please keep in mind I am now supporting the TitanOne, and I recommend you do the same. Take everything I wrote in that post and apply to the TitanOne. Jefferson is the originator and original designer of this whole concept. Please read this thread to see what he has planned for FFB wheel support on ALL consoles across ALL wheels. ChronusMax will never bring out their so called "CM v2.0" with true and proper FFB wheel support.

http://www.consoletuner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=199&start=10
So is it likely at all that anything could provide real FFB to legacy devices like the G27?

I'll try and read that thread when I can... but to clarify, does TitanOne overcome the issue the original CM (allegedly) had with not having enough "memory" to provide FFB that the CM2.0 was supposed to fix?

Metfanant

Titan One seems to be same kind of device as Cronusmax...

it has my attention...waiting for someone to buy one of these things and see what they have to say though....$60-$70 wouldnt be too bad so i can play FM6 with my t500 on the Xbone...i really just cant justify the cost of another wheel (already have the t500 and a DFGT)...

the cost of one wheel to work with both is just way more than im interested in (even if someone gave me a great price for my t500)

Top Bottom