• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old Logitech wheels [with FFB] are now playable on PS4 via homebrew PC app

bombshell

For people with Windows PC's I can recommend installing Ubuntu 14.04 alongside Windows, so that you can boot into both.

On Windows with my DFGT wheel I had random disconnects, probably some driver issue.

Now on Ubuntu, where no drivers are needed, I have played two 2+ hour sessions with no disconnections.

Ogawa-san

Man, the new Raspberry PI Zero would've been perfect to build a mini box with all 3 components... Too bad it only has 2 USB ports and one's used for power.

I wonder if you can use a splitter to get around that. Leave one port for power and split the other for the adapter in/cable out to PS4.

Man, the new Raspberry PI Zero would've been perfect to build a mini box with all 3 components... Too bad it only has 2 USB ports and one's used for power.

I wonder if you can use a splitter to get around that. Leave one port for power and split the other for the adapter in/cable out to PS4.

Any chance you could use the GPIO instead? I mean, it seems like you already have to create a custom cable to make this work, maybe using the GPIO pins could simplify it and free up a USB port.

Shaneus

Wait, so the Pi build of GIMX is stable now? And it works on less than the Pi 2?

Is there a reason you can't just use a USB hub?

Any chance you could use the GPIO instead? I mean, it seems like you already have to create a custom cable to make this work, maybe using the GPIO pins could simplify it and free up a USB port.
A bit of googling indicates that would be a poor solution at best.

Somebody tested their Fanatec wheel:

Hello, and thanks for this great software and mod.

I have got the Logitech g25 working great in Driveclub using the Arduino Leonardo and the CP2102. Really simple and after changing the config to fill out all the buttons, it seems to work a treat. Also had to swap the RX and TX pins.

One thing that intrigued me was I have a Fanatec GT3 RS V2 with Clubsport Pedals (V1 I think). This wheel has a PS3 mode you can put it into for use on the PS3. This mode emulates a G25 and when plugged into windows with PS3 mode on, Logitech profiler sees it as a G25.

So I did the same setup as the g25, used the same config and the Fanatec wheel works great in Driveclub, all the buttons seem to work and the pedals do. I don't have a H-shifter so I am unable to test that, but even better than having the G25 working is having the Fanatec working as I prefer this wheel.

I believe that the Fanatec GT2 wheel, and the CSR wheel have this PS3 mode, so I assume they should work too.

Just thought I would give you my findings, great work, keep it up Matlo

Adding the cost of a hub, you'd end up spending about the same you would getting a RPI B+ that comes with all the ports you need. Plus it'd add to the box's size.
Ah. Well, one port goes to the wheel and the other to the PS4, which are both plugged in to the wall, right? Any chance either or both of those will provide enough juice to power the Zero? Seems like it wouldn't draw much.

Maybe that's how it's supposed to work? Leeching power off of the USB bus? Seems odd to "waste" an entire USB port just for power. Why not have a DC plug instead? =/

KHlover

Banned
Ah. Well, one port goes to the wheel and the other to the PS4, which are both plugged in to the wall, right? Any chance either or both of those will provide enough juice to power the Zero? Seems like it wouldn't draw much.

Maybe that's how it's supposed to work? Leeching power off of the USB bus? Seems odd to "waste" an entire USB port just for power. Why not have a DC plug instead? =/
DC plug would add cost, I imagine. With USB you have the same plug for all regions, for power plugs you'd need to make modifications per region and have smaller production runs as a result, which would drive up cost.

DC plug would add cost, I imagine. With USB you have the same plug for all regions, for power plugs you'd need to make modifications per region and have smaller production runs as a result, which would drive up cost.
Oh, do they not use connectors like this all over the world?

DC_Connector.jpg
The user would need to provide their own power adaptor, just as they now provide their own USB cord and power cube (I assume). Seems like that connector would be cheaper than a USB connector, and if the only provided functionality is power, then what's the point of the fancy USB connection?

So, we're sure it can't draw enough power from the PS4's USB bus? Seems like as long as it's connected to a powered device it should be able to do its thing, just like an external HDD or SSD would.

n0razi

damn son, this is game changer for me since I havent touched drive club in a while and have DFGT in my closet

just gonna wait for some cheap 3rd party chinese adapter now

Ogawa-san

So, we're sure it can't draw enough power from the PS4's USB bus? Seems like as long as it's connected to a powered device it should be able to do its thing, just like an external HDD or SSD would.
Charging a DS4 draws more power than a RPI B+, and a Zero requires even less. So you could stuff all you need for the adapter (RPI, Teensy and the converter thing) in a tiny box that sits next to PS4 and is powered by one of its USB ports.

RPI Zero would be ideal since it's cheaper and smaller, but you need two free USB ports to make this work - controller in, out to PS4. So you're one short to keep it powered up.

Well, I did a little more research and it looks like the second USB port is indeed power-only. I guess they just figured USB power adaptors were more common than DC these days. /shrug Apparently you can actually power the Zero over the data port, but it's not recommended because it's really easy to over- or under-power the Zero like that.

So yeah, it looks like you'd need a hub or something.

Philly40

Thanks man, just ordered the parts and what I meant by no soldering was on the Teensy clone board for the pins but I see there's no need to, will actually get a mini case with screws to enclose it, what are the measurements of the whole thing assembled if it's no bother

I just measured the arduino board, it's about 40mm long, 20mm wide, and 15mm high - you'll need to allow another 15-20mm in height for plugging in the connector cables.

The CP2102 adapter is about 50mm long, 20mm wide and 10mm high,
but allow an extra 15-20mm on length for the connectors.

Ogawa-san

My teensy finally arrived and I got everything working, couldn't play much yet but it seems to be working fine. Driveclub with a G27, horray! Now off to put Gimx on a RPI instead and put everything in a nice little box instead of wild wires crossing my desk.

What I'm even happier about is that it can be used to make my old 360 MadCatz TE fight stick and SF4 fightpad work on PS4. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the same teensy firmware as the wheel (apparently you can't play Guilty Gear with a G29's dpad) so it's not as simple as unplugging one to use the other, but still.

wowzors

Finally made the adapter and set up the pi, works really well set up ssh to run the terminal and run gimx via terminal commands instead of gui to save resources. Haven't noticed any problems yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So it looks like the guy who wrote the GIMX thing isn't going to make it work with TitanOne/CronusMax... so I guess has anyone just started selling assembled adapters?

I just want to give someone money for a working product...

terrible

Banned
How much better is a G27 with this setup compared to a T150? I'm wondering because I can likely get a G27 and everything needed to get this running for the same price as a T150. I suppose it's unlikely that anyone in here has actually tried both but it's worth a shot asking anyway.

Plug and Play solution coming with C.H.I.P?

Matlo

I received my C.H.I.P.s!

The C.H.I.P. project was launched on Kickstarter in May 2015.
This tiny Linux board has two interesting features:

- it is very cheap ($9 + shipping)
- it has a USB HOST port and a USB OTG port

The USB OTG port can be programmed to behave as a USB device, which means it can replace the DIY USB adapter!

There is an image file posted on the GIMX boards that I used with a raspberry pie 2 that works well and is an auto start plug and play solution. When you power up the rasperry pieit auto boots and runs GIMX to the preset config for your wheel. Its waaay better than using a PC and I find it more stable than windows 7 which I was using before.

Shaneus

I've literally never heard of that before. Is that mentioned on the official forums? If it runs off fuck-all power (ie. enough that it can get from USB) then maybe it *is* true PnP!

There is an image file posted on the GIMX boards that I used with a raspberry pie 2 that works well and is an auto start plug and play solution. When you power up the rasperry pieit auto boots and runs GIMX to the preset config for your wheel. Its waaay better than using a PC and I find it more stable than windows 7 which I was using before.
Ooer, I'll need to track that down and give it a go. Is there much else needed in the way of hubs etc?

I assume you still need to power it as well, of course.

Shaneus

I do not need any hubs becuase the raspberry pie 2 Im usung has 4 usb ports. yeah you do need to plug that into a power source though.
Sweet, that sounds perfect then! You still need that serial connector thingy though, I assume?

Edit: Was it this thread that had the image you're talking about? Looks like it might be too much effort for me initially, my Linux is pretty poor :/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Nice find, that'd be awesome.
In other news, my stuff got delivered last week, it took only 3 months to get here. lol
I still haven't built the thing so I'll get back in here soon since the components seem different than what I had gotten last time

Sweet, that sounds perfect then! You still need that serial connector thingy though, I assume?

Edit: Was it this thread that had the image you're talking about? Looks like it might be too much effort for me initially, my Linux is pretty poor :/

Nope it was this thread. You need the DIY USB adapter or similar functioning device.

So the setup is like this for me:

raspberry pie 2 with a power source set up with the raspian image then the following plugged into it:
logitech wheel, dualshock 4, diy usb adapter

then

diy usb adapter mini usb side also plugged into ps4 via usb.

The image file already has the auto boot and everything so when you power up the raspberry pie it boots gimx and everything and you get the wheel spin test and its good to go.

After loading the image to the memory card for the pie I had to change the auto boot file to the xml file for the GT wheel specific config which is what I use (its set to the G27 wheel by default) but thats about it. the autorun file is shown on post 2 of the thread.

ddikxela

Nice find, that'd be awesome.
In other news, my stuff got delivered last week, it took only 3 months to get here. lol
I still haven't built the thing so I'll get back in here soon since the components seem different than what I had gotten last time

I'm glad I didn't wait for my USB to serial converter to arrive. I bought 1 locally after my teensy turned up..... About 5 months ago.

..,.... I wonder where my 2 dollar converter ended up going??

stryke

Thanks for the bump. I have completely forgotten I've already got the parts to set this up.

At least I've got plenty of time until GT sport

brainpann

DOes anyone here have any experience with using the Driving Force GT with gimx? I'm using the windows version and cant seem to get my pedals to be recognized.

cortega1

Neo Member

If you check out the second post of this link http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1675&p=9496&sid=0fb7d849189054e6885c7bde1145b89f Rudi, the poster, shows pictures of how he connected his RPi B using just a teensy ++ like the one you have linked. He is making another post that gives a more detailed breakdown. He is in the middle of translating it to English, so I don't want to post a link to it until he gives me the thumbs up. He is using an older RPi B, like I am, but the pinouts are the same as the RPi 2, so there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

In the videos in the link I'm using an older RPi B model powered by the PS4 using only 1 of its usb ports that boots using the same automated image that @brooklyniteOne mentioned a few posts ago. I'm looking into getting a RPi 2 or 3, to see if its possible to do the same with either. I'm assuming that I will need to use a hub that can tap into the other usb port for power, but I'll post my findings once I finally get my hands on either model.

cortega1

Neo Member
I was never able to get my contraption to work. I'll need to resume my efforts before GT: Sport comes out.

What are you using in your setup? To be more specific, what are you using for your DIY adapter? (teensy 2.0, teensy 2.0 ++, or arduino), and where you planning on using a PC, or linux machine?

I am using a teensy 2.0 for my DIY adapter, and have used a couple of different PC's, and currently a Raspberry Pi to run GIMX. I followed a combination of http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_USB_adapter_for_dummies and http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_USB_adapter to setup my DIY adapter.

cortega1

Neo Member
usb cable into an old iphone usb wall plug I had laying around.

Have you ever tried to power your RPi via a usb port on your PS4? According to the "Power" section of https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/, at max stress demands of the RPi 2 the PS4's usb port should handle it, but that's not taking into account the added draw from the DS4 controller whiles its plugged into the RPi. Even if its fully charged, its going to draw something due to the LED light and whatever else its doing during GIMX gameplay. I want to get a hold of an RPi 2 and/or 3 to see if they will work from the power or a PS4 usb port. RPi 2 seems like it could work, but the 3 is questionable. If you ever try it out, please let me know the results.

If you check out the second post of this link http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1675&p=9496&sid=0fb7d849189054e6885c7bde1145b89f Rudi, the poster, shows pictures of how he connected his RPi B using just a teensy ++ like the one you have linked. He is making another post that gives a more detailed breakdown. He is in the middle of translating it to English, so I don't want to post a link to it until he gives me the thumbs up. He is using an older RPi B, like I am, but the pinouts are the same as the RPi 2, so there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

In the videos in the link I'm using an older RPi B model powered by the PS4 using only 1 of its usb ports that boots using the same automated image that @brooklyniteOne mentioned a few posts ago. I'm looking into getting a RPi 2 or 3, to see if its possible to do the same with either. I'm assuming that I will need to use a hub that can tap into the other usb port for power, but I'll post my findings once I finally get my hands on either model.

Thank you very much; I had seen the thread you linked, but I was under a bit of confusion regarding what to use as a DIY usb adapter.

Ordered that teensy board today, let's see what I can do!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I forgot about this, but I guess no one ever bothered making a box and selling this to people who don't want to make their own?

Have you ever tried to power your RPi via a usb port on your PS4? According to the "Power" section of https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/, at max stress demands of the RPi 2 the PS4's usb port should handle it, but that's not taking into account the added draw from the DS4 controller whiles its plugged into the RPi. Even if its fully charged, its going to draw something due to the LED light and whatever else its doing during GIMX gameplay. I want to get a hold of an RPi 2 and/or 3 to see if they will work from the power or a PS4 usb port. RPi 2 seems like it could work, but the 3 is questionable. If you ever try it out, please let me know the results.

doubt ill be trying that anytime soon. I found it really easy to just plug the pie in where I plug in the wheel for power.

Top Bottom