• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London GAF you ok , it's really sunny the last few days..

slit

I'm not in the UK but the sun was shining down on me all day today. I FUCKING HATE IT! Couldn't wait to get back into the AC.

pswii60

To any one not from the UK please understand:

This is the UK's dirty little weather secret. Sometimes for a few weeks maybe a month. The weather goes batshit and gets hot and sunny 30C+ in some parts but humid as hell oh and for some reason the breeze stops. (Even at night)

Technically we are meant to have so so weather, were kinda famous for our rainy island . So no one thinks it's hot enough or viable to warrant air conditioning in all places (some supermarkets have it, some modern offices do). Our houses and transport are designed to keep us warm. Not much call to install aircon So when it heats up it all works against us.
Honestly try the Tube wander around underground midday enjoy the humid sweaty horrible atmosphere.
Other countries with more consistently warmer weather would have air con all over the place. The UK's attitude is meh it will rain soon.
Yeah we've had a month of this every year in recent years.

But one day of rain in a couple of weeks time and typically British, everyone will be saying "it's always raining". Contrary to popular belief it doesn't always rain in the UK and April-June in particular we have a drier period with some bouts of very nice weather indeed. But because it then gets cloudy and rainy in the July-August summer break, that's all anyone remembers each year.

We should move the 6 week school Summer break to May-June.

Brannon

yZBB1lp.jpg

Barely any installation required, easily moved or stored, pretty sure it's cheap and yeah... they're good in a pinch. Throw that crisp, cold air all around you.

Plus you don't have to leave it stuck in a window (THOSE get stolen unless they're properly secured)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Gotta take the kids to school in a bit.
Right now there is no humidity and it is beautiful outside feels really crisp.
Met weather app tells me it is 15 degrees outside and will be 29.
I have to mow the lawn later. Woo hoo.
I'll just keep a water bottle in the freezer to have afterwards

jonno394

It's 19 degrees here (Birmingham) already with 80% humidity, feels as bad as it did during the night still. Where are you?

DBT85

Sounds like a job to get done very early or very very late.

Glad I got all of ours done last week!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Definitely thinking about putting some AC on the house for next year. Life's too short not to have AC, as one of my American colleagues puts it.

yZBB1lp.jpg

Barely any installation required, easily moved or stored, pretty sure it's cheap and yeah... they're good in a pinch. Throw that crisp, cold air all around you.

Plus you don't have to leave it stuck in a window (THOSE get stolen unless they're properly secured)

These are shit unless you have windows that slide open. Most people with modern windows hinge open and these are then next to useless. Unless you're willing to bore a hole through your wall, in which case you might as well get proper units.

Bleepey

I know those who are used to 35c+ are wondering why we are complaining. But sunshine is not really indigenous to these shores.

I lived in Germany for a year. I don't think I ever saw the sun. We went to London for a week and it rained 2 days and was overcast the rest of the week.

AngryMoth

Just got home from thailand and expecting to feel hotter today than I did over there based what everyone is saying....fuck!

I know those who are used to 35c+ are wondering why we are complaining. But sunshine is not really indigenous to these shores.

Cambridge was hot this weekend and today looks to hit 31. Fortunately, the office has AC.

As I'm from Australia, I'm kinda used to this sort of heat (and for much longer periods than mini heatwaves like here), but the fact houses don't have insect meshes on windows sucks.i have more large spiders in my house here than I would see in subbtropical Brisbane. If I ever buy a house here, it's getting at least one room with AC.

bosseye

Supposed to hit 31 in Brizzle today. My office has no cooling of any sort, it routinely gets up to 28-30 degrees in there on cooler days, today I see it hitting 35 degrees of sweaty, humid, vile smelling office horror.

spuckthew

Just woke up. Thermostat in my apartment says it's 29C. Kill me.

I love sunny weather because it makes everything look nice, but 25C+ and high humidity can take a hike. The worst thing is having to work when it's like this...so utterly depressing, especially when forced to wear a suit. I'm gonna go into work sans tie and see how long it takes for someone to care enough to tell me.

Media

Cambridge was hot this weekend and today looks to hit 31. Fortunately, the office has AC.

As I'm from Australia, I'm kinda used to this sort of heat (and for much longer periods than mini heatwaves like here), but the fact houses don't have insect meshes on windows sucks.i have more large spiders in my house here than I would see in subbtropical Brisbane. If I ever buy a house here, it's getting at least one room with AC.

This is something I don't get. I understand not having ac because it doesn't get hot, but not having screens? Does the UK not have flies, or are Windows just never opened?

This is something I don't get. I understand not having ac because it doesn't get hot, but not having screens? Does the UK not have flies, or are Windows just never opened?

They get flies, I opened my back door yesterday to get some fresh air and my house filled with insects within seconds.

One thing about no AC at home is not having the arguments with women over using the AC at home. "If we leave the windows open there might be a 5 minute period out of 24 hours where there is a breeze, gack, just swallowed a fly..."

Lucreto

The same reason we don't use AC, it never gets hot enough to warrant opening a window. Leaving a window open would let the rain in.

I think I opened my bedroom window for the first time since last October.

Getting ready for work. Scared to use the tube, scared to ride my bike. What to do. Fuck.

Wear a t-shirt and change when you get in. It's what I am doing. If I had remembered I would have frozen a bottle of water and carry it around like a kid with a stuffed bear.

Temascos

Neo Member
This heat is murder in the most annoying way possible. I love sunshine around the sort of 23 degrees mark (Friday is meant to be cooler so that's another reason to look forward to the end of the week) but when its 30+ I want to go swimming in a nice cool ocean.

Problem is, I live and work in London, not by the coast.

And I have a cold as well so that makes the experience even more pleasant!

At least when its colder you can move around and feel like you're not melting.

It's meant to hit 33 degrees today, I went in M&S by my local train station this morning before work and the aircon was bliss, I nearly asked if they had wifi and a crate to sit on.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's meant to hit 33 degrees today, I went in M&S by my local train station this morning before work and the aircon was bliss, I nearly asked if they had wifi and a crate to sit on.

Someone's doing well.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
got my bottle of water to freeze later.

Looking forward to having the patio doors open today.

Not so much taking my boy swimming as the swimming baths are really humid and hot at all times for a spectators.

Trojan X

Banned
..And it's glorious.
Except when taking the tube. Then it's like a sodding oven. Had to rush to get my train at victoria was hot and sweaty thought I was going to faint. Took some water.

Having a nice cool shower when I get home.

How is london GAF coping with this warm weather ?

I am off tomorrow so going to relax at home in Dartford (it's in the M25 area so it should count as greater london lol)

As per usual it's the humidity that does me in not the heat.

Bakerloo & Central Line. Avoid at all cost. Been that way for over 20 years and other than a fan blowing hot air around, nothing has changed.

Carry water, Londoners.

Media

Thanks for all the replies about screens, learned a lot.

Currently sitting on a fully screened in deck lol.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Metro is doing the usual heat wave hotter than Spain type headline.
Glasto at the weekend. Meant to rain then

I'm rushing into work so I can sit in an AC cooled room all day.

God, this heat is insufferable. And it's going to be close to be 30 all week? Fucking bullshit.

azyless

Not in London but we get somewhat similar temperatures year-round here in Brittany. 32 degrees yesterday and it's gonna be the same today, it's hell.
Thankfully I live near the ocean so we get a bit more wind and I can go swim at the beach (though the water temperature is not warming nearly as fast as the air is lol).

J4g3r

It was 29°C in our bedroom last night at around midnight, was fuggin' agony.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the warm weather over the weekend - It's just when the sun sets and we're in a British home that is designed to keep the heat in where it gets annoying.

Tempted to just say fugg it and get an AC unit, for the bedroom at least. Even though we'll only use it for a couple of weeks in the year.

holygeesus

Banned

I've been to countries all around the world with hotter temperatures but here it is just a 'different' kind of heat. Not good.

Plasma

Banned
I've got to go to work soon and the train line I use just announced that most of their 8 carriage trains have been reduced to 4 carriages, that's going to be fun in this heat ...

Top Bottom