• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long may she REIGN – Season 2 |OT| The Pawn Is Now The Queen – Thursdays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

qZ6pWja.jpg

Set in 1557 France, the highly fictionalized series follows the life of Mary, Queen of Scots, at French court while she awaits her marriage to the future Francis II of France, whom she has been engaged to since they were six. At court, Mary has to contend with the changing politics and power plays, as well as her burgeoning feelings for Francis and the romantic attentions from Francis' bastard half-brother, Bash. Francis' mother, Catherine de' Medici, is secretly trying to prevent the marriage following Nostradamus's confidential prediction that the marriage will lead to Francis' death. The series also follows the affairs of Mary's Scottish handmaidens Kenna, Aylee, Lola and Greer, who are searching for husbands of their own at court.

Cast
9tZG8Bk.png

Adelaide Kane as Mary, Queen of Scots

Dv0lnVc.png

Megan Follows as Anne of Green Gables Catherine de' Medici

yAlr50a.png

Toby Regbo as King Francis II

o89QZDt.png

Torrance Coombs as Sebastian (Bash)

OPOAu6j.png

Caitlin Stasey (Kenna), Anna Popplewell (Lola), Celina Sinden (Greer)

Also joining the regular cast in season 2 is Jonathan Keltz (Leith Bayard) and Sean Teale, who is playing
Conde, Prince of the Blood

What happened in season 1 again? (in no particular order)
  • Henry went insane
  • Francis tried to break it off with Mary and left, followed by ...
  • Lola pregnant with Francis' baby
  • Shotgun Swordpoint wedding! Bash and Kenna 4eva
  • Clarissa explains it all dies is not dead
  • Catherine gets locked the dungeon, still schemes
  • Mary proves she can scheme with the best of them
  • A couple of Mary and Catherine teamups
  • Olivia shows up, disappears, shows up again, gets paired with Nostradamus, gets sent away or something
  • BLOOD WOODS AND PAGANS COME TO DRAIN YOU OF YOUR BLOOD
  • Francis comes back to Mary, they get maried
  • Henry gets himself killed, but not before pissing off the entire European continent
  • Catherine poisons your gold
  • Nobody cares, Kenna
  • Leith is awesome, why can't you see that Greer?!

Thanks to Ivy for the Season 1 thread.

REIGN season 2 premieres on Thursday 2 October, 2014 on The CW at 9/8c.

anaron

Lovely OP, Sober!

Even with my Canadian privilege I managed to miss our day earlier premiere so I'll be watching it tonight.

maeh2k

Still haven't decided if I'm going to finish season 1. Watched maybe half of it, but at some point I stopped wanting to watch the new episodes.

Pretty solid premiere. Felt for Kenna. She was like the stripper or party girl who was finally getting her act together but left her anchor child in the car too long. Sad that Sara Winter's character has gone kaput. Still felt that dynamic could've been explored. Mary learning to be queen is great. That shot at the end really was something.

Leeness

Lol Leith.

Also, sassy Nosty is best Nosty. That "wait, you're actually going to let me die? Well FUCK YOU AND YOUR DUMB SON IS GONNA DIE" was wonderful.

Leeness

Hahahahahaha Catherine busting in on Mary and Francis in bed, gushing about Mary being pregnant.

EAT THIS CHOCOLATE YOU'RE FEEDING THE FUTURE KING.

Edit: Mary :((((((((

Edit: Greer fucking getting it with Castleroy hell yeah lol

Really great episode. I hope Kenna and Bash's relationship is featured more because I like it. Feel bad for Mary. Knew it was too good to be true.

Leeness

Yassssss the opening theme is back!

Kenna with the smut journal, lmao.

Oh my goooood the worst possible person heard Francis.

Holy shit Francis, low fucking blow.

Leeness

I wish Francis would just tell Mary :/

Edit: So few posters in here :( And I don't want to double post.

But is this what is going to do Francis in? I think it may. I guess it's much more dramatic than death by ear infection lol

Also, Ratsky, I hope you come back :(

Joni

Francis can be pretty dumb, yeah. I hope he either tells Mary and gets her help (because she's obviously the smartest person ever) or he takes his secret to the grave. He shouldn't have much longer to live.
I wonder how long they're expecting to run the show without Francis.

Joni

That was a hard moment but executed so beautifully with the Catherine dialog. I hope this starts the countryside revolt, Francis and Mary striking back at full force. I want to see her crueler side.

Sober

Whoa, so that was a thing. I didn't hear about the story being leaked.

Here's the AV Club review/recap about it.

EW's interview with the showrunner

The comments re: this episode are rather ... something else. Something to take into mind, it's a pretty charged subject.

Here's one comment I found on AV Club that should probably be repeated for the moment, anyway:

I have been quite surprised about the response this story has received since news of it first leaked a few months ago. There's been a lot of anger on social media sites, with the show's writers being accused of using rape as a plot device. And yet, even now, we can't really say for sure that that is what they are doing. It all depends on their handling of the story beyond this episode. I think Laurie McCarthy should have avoided talking about the genesis of the story, or at the very least chosen her words more carefully, because the process of breaking stories in the writers' room is often very detached and clinical, which can give people the wrong impression about how seriously an issue like this is being taken and whether the story is being told for the right reasons.

I know that some people are upset that Mary was forced to cover up the fact that she had been raped and momentarily pretend that it never happened, but I felt the show made it very clear that this reflects the time period as well as Mary's position as queen. On a TV show, there are always going to be elements that are in no way a comment on real life.

The show's Facebook page has comments from survivors who have recognised that the show is attempting to do something important and powerful. American TV is littered with crime procedurals where victims have mere cameos and so it is rare that people get even a glimpse of the long term impact rape has on a survivor's life. Reign has the opportunity to rectify this, I hope they take it and do it justice.

Basically, wait for the follow-through on this one. It's kinda mean to say this episode was just set-up, but it was. It all really depends on how they treat it in the coming season.

Leeness

Everyone going all out in this episode. These wacky royals.

Francis going all out tyrant.
Mary going nuts.
Catherine going crazy (with special appearance by Crazy Henry! :D)
And not actually a royal, but Conde going all in too.
Mary could take him as a sexy lover, I'd be happy with that.

I love this show.

The writers handled the subject with such care and resolve for broadcast television. Adelaide Kane continues to deliver jaw dropping performances. Claude has been a decent addition, but she does not look like she could be Catherine's offspring. Hopefully she survives this poison with a little love from her brother because AI want to see her devilish side. Just an all around great show nobody is watching.

Leeness

I'm hyped that Crazy King Henry is pretty much back on the show.

"Not everything is about your ass, Kenna".

Mary noooo :(

Bash noooo

Conde noooo

Mary strong! What a queen.

Leeness

Catherine is going super cray...

Or maybe she's getting better.

Greer :(

Kenna and Bash. :(

Everything going to shit nooooo

Oh shit, Catherine going to town on Diane!

Was surprised to see Claude has become a series regular. She's beautiful, but they didn't even try to cast her to any resemblance to Catherine...

Leeness

So. I feel like they're setting Louis up to be the male lead eventually? So that when Francis bites it, they have an established guy to take the lead.

Maybe. Or maybe Francis will never die.

Joni

So. I feel like they're setting Louis up to be the male lead eventually? So that when Francis bites it, they have an established guy to take the lead.

Maybe. Or maybe Francis will never die.

He would be a fine replacement if Francis dies at the end of the season. If they keep him around longer, it might get dragged out too much.

Joni

I just want Mary and Conde to be happy. Stupid Antoine.
Greer sticking up for her girls, even in front of her asshole ex-boyfriend. Luckily jerk with heart of gold
Oh Francis.
Dumb Kenna. Another king, another Bash lost.

Leeness

I just want Mary and Conde to be happy. Stupid Antoine.
Greer sticking up for her girls, even in front of her asshole ex-boyfriend. Luckily jerk with heart of gold
Oh Francis.
Dumb Kenna. Another king, another Bash lost.

I want Mary and Conde to be happy too, but now he's selling her out :(

Antoine is super skeevy, he grosses me out. And I'm sad that he has seemingly broken up power couple Bash and Kenna. I hope they figure things out. :(

Also, PVR summary for next episode says "Francis gets sick".

It begins????

phaze

First I've heard of this show. Is it any good ? XVI-XVII century France is one of my favourite periods so I might check it out.

Joni

First I've heard of this show. Is it any good ? XVI-XVII century France is one of my favourite periods so I might check it out.
It starts as some slow love triangle, but afterwards it becomes Game of Thrones lite with the political plays.

Leeness

Ummmmmmmmmmm Bash! :'(

Francis on his way out... Good night sweet prince/king.

Everyone having sex while Francis dies lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom