• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlander - Season 2 - Saturdays on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what makes it so hard to watch, well for me at least. It's that there is the weight of emotion behind it that makes me way more uncomfortable with the scenes than in other shows. They don't over use it, but that does not diminish the strength with which they brandish it. I can see why it'd make others uncomfortable.

I am glad they're going back to Scotland now. I did like the stuff in France but Jamie always seemed so out of place all dressed up and doing courtly stuff. I'll definitely miss Claire in some of those crazy dresses, as well as her friend Louise and Master Raymond.

They don't overuse it? Hmm... Let's see, just off the top of my head. Black Jack Randall tries to rape Claire when she arrives in the past. He also attempts to rape her when she's captured in the castle at the S1 mid-season finale. Dougal attempts to rape her in S1. Randall then does rape Jaime, repeatedly, over the course of a couple of episodes. I suppose one could argue it was consensual, as Jaime agreed to it if Claire was freed, but I'd not want to argue it in a court of law. I think it was rape.

Then Mary Hawkins is raped on the streets of Paris and Claire would have been raped if she wasn't recognized as La Dame Blanche. Regardless, the King then three pump chumps Claire in what again could be argued as consensual sex that wasn't exactly welcoming.

Randall then rapes Fergus (or attempts to).

And this is in 17 episodes and I'm not entirely sure I've remembered all of them. I'd say they're overusing rape and particularly overusing it as it relates to Claire. I mean, really, at least four different encounters where rape has been attempted on Claire.

xenist

History has been pretty rapey. Remember, even in today's world which is statistically the safest it's ever been, one in three women (if I remember correctly) has been assaulted.

sammex

They don't overuse it? Hmm... Let's see, just off the top of my head. Black Jack Randall tries to rape Claire when she arrives in the past. He also attempts to rape her when she's captured in the castle at the S1 mid-season finale. Dougal attempts to rape her in S1. Randall then does rape Jaime, repeatedly, over the course of a couple of episodes. I suppose one could argue it was consensual, as Jaime agreed to it if Claire was freed, but I'd not want to argue it in a court of law. I think it was rape.

Then Mary Hawkins is raped on the streets of Paris and Claire would have been raped if she wasn't recognized as La Dame Blanche. Regardless, the King then three pump chumps Claire in what again could be argued as consensual sex that wasn't exactly welcoming.

Randall then rapes Fergus (or attempts to).

And this is in 17 episodes and I'm not entirely sure I've remembered all of them. I'd say they're overusing rape and particularly overusing it as it relates to Claire. I mean, really, at least four different encounters where rape has been attempted on Claire.

I'd forgotten loads of those. Looking at it like that, you're right, that is a lot.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

The Fox's Lair

Claire and Jamie seek to elicit support from his manipulative grandfather, who may have his own interests at heart, while a visiting Colum MacKenzie has other plans.

So what do we have left, two episodes? Gotta admit I'm sort of lukewarm on this season. I don't feel like they accomplished much in France (by way of what they intended), and now the new plan in Scotland is a complete heel turn on what they were trying to do in France (right?).

I think I enjoyed this show a lot more in S1 when it was Claire's discovery of being transported through time, and her personal struggles with how to handle it, where and when to make suggestions that didn't make her sound like a raving lunatic or a witch. Which she obviously didn't pull off completely.

I dunno... this season doesn't have the same level of character intimacy. Perhaps it's not being familiar with the Jacobite Rebellion. I've read up on it to get some idea of what she's afraid of... and yet I struggle to care, I guess.

Edit: In short, when there's no Black Jack Randall as purely evil foil, then things tend to drift into boredom for me. I spend a lot of time browsing GAF during these episodes.

jett

D-Member
How is this going to last another season? Will Claire travel back in time or something?

So what do we have left, two episodes? Gotta admit I'm sort of lukewarm on this season. I don't feel like they accomplished much in France (by way of what they intended), and now the new plan in Scotland is a complete heel turn on what they were trying to do in France (right?).

I think I enjoyed this show a lot more in S1 when it was Claire's discovery of being transported through time, and her personal struggles with how to handle it, where and when to make suggestions that didn't make her sound like a raving lunatic or a witch. Which she obviously didn't pull off completely.

I dunno... this season doesn't have the same level of character intimacy. Perhaps it's not being familiar with the Jacobite Rebellion. I've read up on it to get some idea of what she's afraid of... and yet I struggle to care, I guess.

Edit: In short, when there's no Black Jack Randall as purely evil foil, then things tend to drift into boredom for me. I spend a lot of time browsing GAF during these episodes.

Agreed. S2 has been mostly a bore to me. Whatever it was that I liked about S1, I'm not finding it here unfortunately.

hythloday

So what do we have left, two episodes?

This season is 13 episodes so luckily we have more time to wrap things up.

Black Jack is one of the best villains out there.

How is this going to last another season? Will Claire travel back in time or something?

Remember this is a show based on a book series. They can and do change plenty of stuff, but right now the Outlander world consists of 8 novels with a ninth in progress, a bunch of novellas and a spin-off series, so there's plenty of source material for them to pull from. Do I think they'll cover all of that in the show? Personally, no. I kinda hope not. There's scores of rabid Outlander fans who want to see every single scene translated, but you can have too much of a good thing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Season 3 will be based on Diana Gabaldon’s third of eight books in the Outlander series, Voyager, while Season 4 will be based on the fourth book in the series, Drums of Autumn.

In a statement, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said, “Outlander is like nothing seen before on television. From its depiction of a truly powerful female lead character, to the devastating decimation of the Highlander way of life, to what is a rarely seen genuine and timeless love story, it is a show that not only transports the viewer, but inspires the passion and admiration of its fans. On this 25th anniversary of the publication of the first book in the U.S., we are thrilled and honored to be able to continue the story that began with author Diana Gabaldon, and is brought to life by the incredibly talented Ronald D. Moore. There are no better storytellers for Outlander than this team, both in front and behind the camera.”

Huzzah!

hythloday

Damn right. I was getting worried!

I finally saw the most recent episode. Diana Gabaldon had described it as "jumping the shark" so I was a bit worried going in, and I see what she meant (they're really playing up the whole witch/wise woman/La Dame Blanche angle). It was okay though.

What I really like is the new Intro. The song is back to what it should be and they've added more tidbits to preview the rest of the season.

hythloday

Sorry to double post, but Episode 9 is out early! I've got Starz through Amazon, but I guess anyone with the Starz Play app can see it.

Je Suis Prest

Claire and Jamie reunite with the Lallybroch and MacKenzie men as they train. Jamie's power struggle and Claire's personal battle weigh upon them, but new information comes when an Englishman pays a visit to their camp.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I finally saw the most recent episode. Diana Gabaldon had described it as "jumping the shark" so I was a bit worried going in, and I see what she meant (they're really playing up the whole witch/wise woman/La Dame Blanche angle). It was okay though.

Hm. Link?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sorry to double post, but Episode 9 is out early! I've got Starz through Amazon, but I guess anyone with the Starz Play app can see it.

*checks app*

Yep, I see it up. I'm diving in! Also, if you don't use the Starz play app, it is up on their website as well.

hythloday

Hm. Link?

Just saw it mentioned here which then links to a post on a Compuserv forum she posts on. (She's chatty with her fans, which is cool - aside from the Compuserv forum she is on her Facebook and Twitter a lot, and I don't think it's just assistants posting for her). I think the article made it seem like a bigger deal than it was.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just saw it mentioned here which then links to a post on a Compuserv forum she posts on. (She's chatty with her fans, which is cool - aside from the Compuserv forum she is on her Facebook and Twitter a lot, and I don't think it's just assistants posting for her). I think the article made it seem like a bigger deal than it was.

Hm, it doesn't sound like she's too upset about it. I do agree that they went a little overboard with the whole witch stuff, though I haven't read the book so I didn't know that it wasn't in the book.

hythloday

Hm, it doesn't sound like she's too upset about it. I do agree that they went a little overboard with the whole witch stuff, though I haven't read the book so I didn't know that it wasn't in the book.

Yeah I actually am not sure if she was referring to the witchy stuff or (book)
Laoghaire being there.
. Personally I thought the episode was fine.

hythloday

Well, I legit loved everything about that episode. The Gaelic songs during training scenes, Claire's flashbacks to WW2, and the bit with the English teenager they caught. It was all really well done.

Three cheers for Drill Sergeant Murtagh.

Edit: added spoiler tags. Since the episode was officially released early and not just leaked, I hadn't even thought about holding off in my haste to gush after seeing it. I'll remove them after it airs tonight. Sorry!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Je Suis Prest

When Claire and Jamie are reunited with the Lallybroch and MacKenzie men who are in training, his power struggle and her personal battle prove a burden. But an Englishman's visit to the camp provides updated news.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I needed a trigger warning for the training scene with the bagpipes. I've been woken up too many times by the sound of bagpipes on campus. I instinctively started walking to quieter part of the house as soon as that scene started lol

Those scenes with Claire and the American soldiers were well done. I was apprehensive when they started the flashbacks but it worked out in the end.

hythloday

I'm really looking forward to next week after reading that, specifically this part:

Next episode is titled, "Prestonpans." The episode encompasses the Battle of Prestonpans. We're going to take Jamie and his troops and integrate them within the bigger Highland army. Prince Charlie returns and the first half is all these people trying to jockey for a position with him. Jamie is the one person who doesn’t have to since he already has the Prince's ear. And through knowledge of Claire, he knows they're going to win this battle, so he's a little more relaxed than you would normally see a person going into a battle. So what we need to show in "Prestonpans" is how they win this battle. We stay true to the actual battle, it was about eight minutes long total and we pretty much almost show it in real time.

I've finally been catching up on this season. Overall I think I liked the first season a little better, but this one surely also has its highs. Especially the latest episode was very good. And damn that song during the credits. Does anyone know if it's based on an actual Scottish song like the title song or if it's a McCreary original?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Not sure what's up with this show, but the random bout of PTSD seemed out of place.

In the book, this section for Claire is very internal. She's thinking a lot. And she had the backstory of being a WWII nurse which we saw in the very first episode of Outlander. As we were breaking this episode, we thought that it wouldn't be going off book so to speak if we were just to tell part of that story, when in fact we know this all happened. These lines of dialogue are in the books, just from different parts. I wanted to incorporate all these little exchanges and moments from all the different books into a script somehow, and so I did it with these flashbacks.

via Ron Moore

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Prestonpans

Jamie uses Claire's knowledge of the future to lead the Jacobite army into battle against the British, while Claire tends to the wounded, a harsh reminder of the cost of war.

Grizzlyjin

Just got done watching it on the Starz app. I'll make sure to keep the the spoiler tags on until it airs

Slow to start, but a good episode. It was nice to have a glimpse into the strategic minds being the rebellion. Some of the scenes in the first half ended abruptly, like the one where Claire was getting the triage area ready. As always, this show did not hold back at all. The attack was quick and brutal. I felt really bad for some of the British soldiers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought that episode was quite tense even though we knew from the very beginning that it was going to turn out well for them.

A bunch of really good character moments in that one, too. RIP Angus :(

hythloday

Take a drink every time Prince Charlie says "MARK ME"

If I was Claire I'd want to whip out a Sharpie (they had those in 1745, right?) and put a little smudge on his nose whenever he said that. Boop!

Angus' death was really sad, and I wasn't even crazy about his character at the beginning of the show. (I love Rupert, but Angus took a while to grow on me). Rupert waking up and making his way over despite the pain was heartbreaking. :(

Always sounds like "mock me" which is fitting.

Any GoT viewer do a double take when Tobias Menezes compliments a Jamie on his good looks?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Vengeance Is Mine

Jacobite leaders decide to halt the march on London and send Claire and the Highlanders up north, where a troop of redcoats is making trouble for the Scots.

Grizzlyjin

Well, those last 5 minutes escalated quickly. I'm hoping the final line of the episode ("I think we'd better go") was supposed to be funny, because I found it absolutely hilarious. It felt like a scene of out of Quentin Tarantino movie.

Relieved that Jamie and Claire being separated wasn't stretched out too long. We've gotten so much of that before and know it will happen again, it would have been annoying to have it go beyond this episode.

And Mary is part of the squad now! I love it. All the best people from France are getting added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom