• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Donkey Kong Country 1-3 and Donkey Kong Country Returns

Also, this is my favourite level in the game:
Treacherous_Track_5.png

It's so damn good.

I think this is probably the level I found the hardest. It's utterly brilliant though, and never unfair. I played it co-op and we just kept at it until we made it through. There's a section towards the end that is just so, so intense.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I actually found Factory and even most of Volcano pretty easy compared to Cliff. I lost the most lives on regular levels in Cliff, hands down.

JoeInky

I actually found Factory and even most of Volcano pretty easy compared to Cliff. I lost the most lives on regular levels in Cliff, hands down.

Cliff has some of my favourite levels in the game (thugly took quite a while to beat in mirror mode), but factory is still my favourite, I love it's version of the world map theme so much and the levels are great, it's just missing a minecart level iirc.

jb1234

World 1's temple level isn't really that hard, I just went on it with no recollection of what the level was like and breezed through it on my first try. It's a great level, though, a nice introduction to the temple levels imo.

I find that maddening. I played through that level in 2011 and then again in 2012 and both times, I died at least a dozen times, maybe two dozen. It didn't get any easier, I just got older!

I find that maddening. I played through that level in 2011 and then again in 2012 and both times, I died at least a dozen times, maybe two dozen. It didn't get any easier, I just got older!
I'm with him in that it's one of the easier temples, then again there's a bit of correlation here, if you have trouble with minecarts it appears you probably have trouble with quick reaction platforming stages such as that one and a few cliff stages.

JoeInky

Hah, yeah I've got a lot better at platformers since I started making my own.

Having to playtest levels to make sure you can do them on the hardest difficulty without getting hit makes you pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7mmQdn4gq0

So what is the verdict on the Tikis anyway? Do people like them or did the absence of Kremlings leave a sour taste?

I actually really like them, I think they're pretty unique and the main grunts are quite cool (especially the fire ones). The final boss lacks a lot of character though, if it turned out that it was K. Rool inside it controlling it or something it would have been a lot cooler imo.

Though the fact that there isn't even a reference to the Kremling Krew in the game is pretty disappointing.

Ranger X

It would be too good if David Wise scored a hypothetical sequel. The music in DKCR was easily the most(or only) disappointing aspect of the game. Poorly sounding covers and lame original music. No more of that japanese audio team, please.

Ice Cave Chant is my favorite piece of music from the original, I was completely blown away by it when I played DKC1. Man the music in that game is so fantastic, you can't say a single bad thing about it.

*Bro fist*

That was also my wow moment in DCK1 and what truly made me remember the game. That unique level and tune was simply memorable.

ghibli99

The Tikis are cool, but I preferred the Kremlings. :)

Just finished the second key temple (Tumblin' Temple). I died quite a number of times during its first half, but flew through the second half on my first try. That doesn't mean it was any less exhilarating, though! I don't think I blinked once during any of my runs. LOL

So good. On with the Ruins!

JoeInky

The Tikis are cool, but I preferred the Kremlings. :)

Just finished the second key temple (Tumblin' Temple). I died quite a number of times during its first half, but flew through the second half on my first try. That doesn't mean it was any less exhilarating, though! I don't think I blinked once during any of my runs. LOL

So good. On with the Ruins!

Yeah, I miss hearing the kremlings little yelp when you jump on them.

You've got some pretty great levels ahead of you, DKCR is one of those games I'd love to forget so I can experience some of the levels for the first time again.

Like the one where
you're being chased by a load of spiders in the forest world.

jb1234

I also miss the honk that the Kremlings make as they're disposed of. The Tikis aren't terribly memorable but they're fun enough to jump on. ;)

Just breezed through temple 4 to get the puzzle pieces. It's definitely one of the easier ones (not that I minded). ;)

Also, just went through temple 7. I was expecting this one to be tougher. I made it through before the pig popped up to let me know that I suck and ask if I need to be babied through the level.

I just keep editing this post! ;) Anyway, after a rage-inducing final boss (took me 50 lives to beat him) and a somewhat equally rage-inducing fruity temple, I have unlocked mirror mode! Time to take a break. ;)

ghibli99

I got my copy of DKC3 for the GBA, and messed with it just a little bit. Still suffering from SNES DKC burnout after my recent marathon, but it was cool to already see some of the differences between the versions. The music is obviously the biggest change, but it's neat to see the new challenge(s) in Funky's Rentals and some other tweaks here and there. Save anywhere is nice. Levels seem identical, but this game looks quite good on the SP+ screen. Probably won't play through it in its entirety anytime soon, but it is nice to have it now.

JoeInky

I also miss the honk that the Kremlings make as they're disposed of. The Tikis aren't terribly memorable but they're fun enough to jump on. ;)

Yeah I have nothing against the Tiki's, they'd be a really cool enemy in any game that doesn't already have quite a good staple enemy (But retro seemed to go the whole hog and not use any old enemy designs, we have those awesome frogs and parrots, so why no zingers or neckys or the other animal enemies?).

I just keep editing this post! ;) Anyway, after a rage-inducing final boss (took me 50 lives to beat him) and a somewhat equally rage-inducing fruity temple, I have unlocked mirror mode! Time to take a break. ;)

That fruity temple gave me a lot of trouble in mirror mode (damn those exploding cherries).
Make sure you come back to beat the game in mirror mode, aswell, it's a really satisfying experience.

I actually really miss underwater levels in this game, the concept art of DK swimming around with prehistoric fish and fighting a giant eel boss that's wrapped around a lighthouse look really cool. As does the minecart level set around amber with giant insects.

ghibli99

Just finished 3-3 (Ruins: Mast Blast) in DKCR. Fun, fun, fun! Definitely giving me DKC2 vibes with the pirate theme, and the puzzle piece locations also feel more oldschool in how you have to reach them. I continue to really love this game. :)

This is quickly climbing the charts, and could possibly be my favorite platformer this generation. That's saying a lot since it shares company with SMG2, SM3DL, and Rayman Origins. SMG2 is my Game of the Generation so far. Could it be topped, or at least equaled? Seems rather likely at this point!

Just finished 3-3 (Ruins: Mast Blast) in DKCR. Fun, fun, fun! Definitely giving me DKC2 vibes with the pirate theme, and the puzzle piece locations also feel more oldschool in how you have to reach them. I continue to really love this game. :)

This is quickly climbing the charts, and could possibly be my favorite platformer this generation. That's saying a lot since it shares company with SMG2, SM3DL, and Rayman Origins. SMG2 is my Game of the Generation so far. Could it be topped, or at least equaled? Seems rather likely at this point!

DKCR and SMG2 are my favourite games from this gen, i'm not sure which game I like more, deep down I think DK has the edge for me but I tend to say SMG2 for whatever reason. Damn it's a tough decision, I think it's because I view SMG2 as the best 3D Mario and best Mario game but for DKCR I still prefer DKC2 by an edge for the soundtrack and setting.

jb1234

I dunno. SMG2 (and 1) is hard to beat. I ended up loving DCKR (after trading it in and then buying it back thanks to comments on this thread. Thanks, guys!) but those Mario Galaxys were sustained bliss.

ghibli99

DKCR and SMG2 are my favourite games from this gen, i'm not sure which game I like more, deep down I think DK has the edge for me but I tend to say SMG2 for whatever reason. Damn it's a tough decision, I think it's because I view SMG2 as the best 3D Mario and best Mario game but for DKCR I still prefer DKC2 by an edge for the soundtrack and setting.
Good reasoning. When I think back on my SMG2 playthrough from last year, it really was such a perfect experience for me. It allowed my wife to play along and help me without it requiring any actual platforming on her part. I appreciated not having to worry about collecting star bits and just focus on exploring and getting through the levels. The music in SMG1 was better IMO, though (even though SMG2's was no slouch!). The Luigi stars were great, and made his playthrough way better than SMG1's rehash. I wish they'd done something similar to that in SM3DL.

KevinCow

Banned

And you haven't even gotten to Cliffs and Factory yet, the best worlds in my opinion.

JoeInky

And you haven't even gotten to Cliffs and Factory yet, the best worlds in my opinion.

I was co-op'ing forest with my cousin today (who can't grasp running and jumping yet - frustrating) and I think the level design in there is pretty damn good, definitely up there with factory imo.

It's Cave for Ghibli next, though. That's probably one of the more boring worlds - apart from that one level with the bats.

jb1234

I'd say as a whole, Ruins was the least interesting world for me. I'm also surprised they didn't have any swimming levels (or for that matter, a snow world). Maybe for the sequel?

Khal_B

DCK2 is my favourite in the series as well. Amazing experience. Listening to Stickerbush Symphony now as I type this. Those were some good times.

ghibli99

Finished up Ruins tonight. The Key Temple (Shifty Smashers) was definitely the easiest of the first 3. Didn't even die and easily got all of the puzzle pieces. I really like the Rambi stages in this game. He controls really well, and the destruction he causes is so satisfying to watch. The animators did an exceptional job making everything have *weight* when they crumble and fall. Just a joy to look at.

Cave is up next!

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I recently replayed DKCR on my friend's Wii in order to get my memory of the title back due to my Wii's tragic death. I beat the game in a single sitting, playing it all night. I couldn't believe how much better at the game I was the second time through.

Pure bliss (minus a few pretty lame bosses).

ArynCrinn

Banned
From the first opening score to the last level DKC 2 was my absolute favorite in the series. But DKCR was not too far behind, and if Retro had gotten the music, atmosphere, enemy variety, default controls and in some ways charm up to the same standard as the level design, physics and pacing it would have surpassed DKC 2. Retro just made a lot more mistakes with the overall package than Rare did.

ghibli99

Completed the 4th Key Temple (Jagged Jewels) and the Cave world in general... haven't played 4-B yet, though. I really liked the mine cart stages, which I couldn't stand in the SNES games, but the rocket barrel levels just kinda suck, mainly because of the controls that demand you be accurate and quick... neither of which the rocket barrel is. You end up having to rely more on memorization than you do actual skill.

The silver lining here is that I feel pretty good when replaying the stage to pick up stray puzzle pieces later and fly through them without dying... then I think, "How did I have so much trouble with this again?" I still lost around 40-50 lives over both of those rocket barrel stages. :p And these get harder? Oh man...

They certainly are, the Forest is pretty damn good as well, I grew to slightly prefer the cliffs over it on the second run. Factory is the top tier though.

I'd say as a whole, Ruins was the least interesting world for me. I'm also surprised they didn't have any swimming levels (or for that matter, a snow world). Maybe for the sequel?
Yeah, the ruins aren't bad but it lacks stages that have that extra punch, the most inventive stage (Mast Blast) is basically a beach stage, itty bitty biters focuses on enemies and isn't that fun. The Rambi stage is pretty good though. Weakest temple stage as well.

Completed the 4th Key Temple (Jagged Jewels) and the Cave world in general... haven't played 4-B yet, though. I really liked the mine cart stages, which I couldn't stand in the SNES games, but the rocket barrel levels just kinda suck, mainly because of the controls that demand you be accurate and quick... neither of which the rocket barrel is. You end up having to rely more on memorization than you do actual skill.

The silver lining here is that I feel pretty good when replaying the stage to pick up stray puzzle pieces later and fly through them without dying... then I think, "How did I have so much trouble with this again?" I still lost around 40-50 lives over both of those rocket barrel stages. :p And these get harder? Oh man...

If you did the bat stage (crowded cavern) then they don't get any harder, mine carts are great fun in this game, i'm not a big fan of them in the older games either (Rollercoasters being the exception) but here they are managed much better, Bombs Away is great at the end when you get stuck in the rail loop.

Fox Mulder

I recently replayed DKCR on my friend's Wii in order to get my memory of the title back due to my Wii's tragic death. I beat the game in a single sitting, playing it all night. I couldn't believe how much better at the game I was the second time through.

Pure bliss (minus a few pretty lame bosses).

I kind of want to rescue a dusty wii from one of my family members just to play some of the games I missed out on, especially DKCR. I never gave the console a chance with blind hatred for waggle controls, but Nintendo makes some of the best games ever.

ghibli99

If you did the bat stage (crowded cavern) then they don't get any harder, mine carts are great fun in this game, i'm not a big fan of them in the older games either (Rollercoasters being the exception) but here they are managed much better, Bombs Away is great at the end when you get stuck in the rail loop.
Good to know about the rocket barrel stages. I was pretty surprised that this world was entirely made up of "rides", except for the Key Temple (thankfully).

Yeah, Bombs Away was great! Of course, I jumped too early at the end and plummeted to my death. LOL The mine cart stages in DKCR are so much more playable because you have more time to react by seeing further in front of you. It was almost like you needed superhuman timing in the SNES games, but that "twitch factor" was pretty fun at times, too.

jb1234

Yeah, I wouldn't say the rocket barrel stages get harder as much as they remain at about the same difficulty. On the other hand, the mine cart stages DO get harder. I lost many, many lives at the one in World 8.

Ricky_R

I don't understand why, but of all the Nintendo games I've played since the NES, the SNES DKC games are the ones that fill me with nostalgia the most. Sadly, I never played the third one nor the Wii version.

I don't own the Wii, but DKCR is the only game that made me wish I had one.

ghibli99

I finished off 4-B last night. Died several times due to dumb mistakes. Oddly enough, it was when I got impatient and just tried a roll jump all the way over (and saw that it worked) that I beat it with no problems.

3 stages into Forest (Flutter Flyaway), and these levels are fun. I *love* the weightiness of the swinging chunks of wood, and just swinging on vines feels perfect. There were a couple puzzle pieces that eluded me. Guide came in handy, and I still sacrificed a number of lives getting to them and then making it to the end.

So, one small critique I have: The bonus rooms. I miss how well these were themed in DKC2&3, with different goals (collect 15 bananas, stomp all the enemies, find the coin, etc.), whereas here, it seems like you just have to collect all the items before your time is up. Adding to this is the fact that there only seems to be 5 or so different variations, so they start to feel a bit repetitive. On the flipside, this increases the success rate of getting the puzzle pieces since you get used to doing these, so there's very little "try again" scenarios with them.

Yeah, I wouldn't say the rocket barrel stages get harder as much as they remain at about the same difficulty. On the other hand, the mine cart stages DO get harder. I lost many, many lives at the one in World 8.
Cool... thanks for letting me know. :)

jb1234

Yeah, I was disappointed in the bonus rooms too. I also felt little need to bother with them because they're connected to the puzzle pieces, which I equally felt little reason to hunt after. The rewards weren't interesting enough to me.

There's a couple of K levels that I am missing one jigsaw piece on, and I've been trying to find them for months, on and off when I can be bothered. Where the HELL have they hidden them?

I don't want any help by the way. This is a fight I need to finish myself.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yeah, I was disappointed in the bonus rooms too. I also felt little need to bother with them because they're connected to the puzzle pieces, which I equally felt little reason to hunt after. The rewards weren't interesting enough to me.

Apart from a few bosses, I thought the bonus rooms were the weakest part of the gameplay. This is something that shouldn't have carried over to Returns so literally. I would have preferred a lot of really creative platforming based challenges compared to simply collect banana's in a time limit for a puzzle piece. Maybe some of these rooms could serve as very difficult or fun shortcuts through levels instead.

jb1234

Apart from a few bosses, I thought the bonus rooms were the weakest part of the gameplay. This is something that shouldn't have carried over to Returns so literally. I would have preferred a lot of really creative platforming based challenges compared to simply collect banana's in a time limit for a puzzle piece. Maybe some of these rooms could serve as very difficult or fun shortcuts through levels instead.

Yeah, that could have been interesting. I remember there's an early level where you jump into a barrel and have to traverse through a section off in the background. At first, I thought it was a bonus level and was excited but the big end barrel pretty much killed that theory. ;)

The bonus rooms were more interesting in the first three games because they were more diverse and especially because you had to hunt them all down to "!" the level.

I liked them. My issue was that they repeated the same ones so often.

Two things I'd like to see improved for a sequel: bonus rooms and bosses. For sure.

ghibli99

Didn't have much time to play tonight, but I just finished 5-4 (Tippin' Totems), and was pretty happy with myself when I assumed that
collecting all the bananas above the hippos would give me a puzzle piece
, and sure enough, there it was. Love stuff like that in this game! :)

PokéKong

I'm still working on picking up Kong letters I skipped on my first playthrough, and working through the temples along the way, and after making good progress got stuck on nabbing that O in 8-4, Smokey Peak. I can't seem to pull of some tricky hopping maneuver while on the Ramby without just smashing everything that lets me reach the letter.

Now I agree that it was one of the game's weaknesses that it recycled so much of the old music without really any creative interpretation, but I disagree with most that the original music was even worse than the rest of the soundtrack. If anything, the game would have benefited greatly by using 100% new music even by the same sound team, I keep coming across great memorable tracks that stand out, though they are too few and far between. Ones like Tidal Terror, Rocket Barrel, Furious Fire, and of course Music Madness.

jb1234

There's a few okay original pieces. I HATE that one that plays constantly in the volcano world, with the heavy tapping percussion.

There's a few okay original pieces. I HATE that one that plays constantly in the volcano world, with the heavy tapping percussion.

Oh hell no!

On a completely unrelated note to the above I wish more bosses were like Mangoruby with more of a platforming element to the proceedings, I felt that boss was easily the best by along shot of a mostly bad bunch.

ghibli99

Muncher Marathon (5-8) is pissing me off. I could use an extra checkpoint in this SOB. Gives me the heebie-jeebies just looking at it, too. I think they did *too* good of a job with that animation. LOL

ghibli99

Muncher Marathon actually became quite easy once I just let myself play through the stage a couple times without getting everything, just so that I could learn the rhythms. Once I had that down, getting the letters and puzzle pieces on subsequent runs was much easier.

5-K, though (Blast 'n' Bounce) robbed me of about 40 lives trying to get everything. That was pretty rough... I feel like I could do it in my sleep now that it's over. Not sure if that's a good thing. :p

Mangoruby Run (5-B)? Awesome.

ghibli99

Up through 6-3 now. These Cliff stages have been a lot of fun, and I was happy to see another mine cart stage in 6-2 (Prehistoric Path). The ending gimmick was similar to an earlier mine cart stage, but with some new twists that really kept me on my toes. Died more than I care to admit during its first half, so I'm grateful for checkpoints.

I can't help but say once again how high-quality this game is. The variety and level design continue to impress!

ghibli99

I can tell 6-K (Perilous Passage) is going to be rough... my patience with forced-scrolling insta-death levels can get the better of me. Need to take breaks every few lives lost. :p

Edit 1: OMG, sooo close. [puts head down on desk and starts weeping] At least extra lives come pretty easy in this level due to all the bananas, so I've not dipped below 95.

Edit 2: SUCCESS! All 5 pieces, too. Wow, heart is racing. LOL

jwhit28

I've replayed 1-3 over the last week. I like how each game really sticks to its theme.

DKC did a great job of feeling different from Mario and Sonic and really building a world around a character best known for standing at the top of construction sites and throwing barrels.

DKC2 has an atmosphere that is still tough for games to match. The platforming and worlds are more varied than in DKC.

I thought DKC3 relied too much on gimmick levels. I found my self hoping for a level where I can just go from start to finish without a timer, animal buddies, switches or special barrels. The way the over world worked was great though. I always thought it was amazing that it could compete for customers against Crash Bandicoot and Super Mario 64.

I don't understand why, but of all the Nintendo games I've played since the NES, the SNES DKC games are the ones that fill me with nostalgia the most. Sadly, I never played the third one nor the Wii version.

I don't own the Wii, but DKCR is the only game that made me wish I had one.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is the only game I have for my Wii. I downloaded the 3 SNES game on the Wii shop. I don't regret spending 200$ just to play those 4 games!

Top Bottom