• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: EarthBound — Warm, weird, wonderful… and full of so much love! <3

Neiteio

Magicant stays with you in a weird way. After having played the original Mother, where Magicant is a location that you can get back to anytime you want from a rather early point in the game (and it's a good place to go since you can heal and pick up items there), it's even weirder. It feels so very alien and yet so very comforting at the same time. They somehow made surreal seem cozy (as opposed to Moonside, which is cool, but I wouldn't want to stay there for a long time), and that's a hell of an accomplishment.
For some reason, the visual in Magicant that sticks with me the most is the lake with the island containing the Mani Mani Statue. Even with the Kraken nearby, the lake feels oddly lonely -- almost haunting in its desolation. At the same time there's a soothing sense of tranquility in the placid waters sheltered by a ring of rock... It's hard to describe, like many of the feelings evoked by this game.

Fandangox

And now I'm looking at the Tumblr for Project PK Flash. I don't see any indications of another video being made, but I dig the production frames they share. Here are two of my favorites:

tumblr_static_blog_tihqecn.png

tumblr_ncoo8adgqx1se7ohbdn.png

This is pretty good art

StereoVsn

That was an amazing OP. You also convinced me to buy the game despite my strong dislike of Nintendo's eShop and Acciunt system, so job well done. Oh, and subbed.

Crayolan

Sorry to triple-post, but I still feel like talking about this series!

I was trying to scratch the itch left by EarthBound and did an image search for enemies in Mother 3, when I came across this amazing specimen — The Natural Killer Cyborg:

3087526246_225b23a5827wpat.jpg

This... design... is... AMAZING. A pincer-clawed spider-pig brainiac!

AHH, this makes me want to play Mother 3 BADLY. But I have no idea how one goes about doing that in English. And more to the point, it's entirely possible Nintendo may announce and release a localized version this June.

But man, that design pegs my meter. It's whacky, it's creepy, it's cool. It's EarthBound!

Any other standout enemy designs in Mother 3? I don't mind seeing them early. :)

latest

m_09.gif

Ragnamith

I've tried to play this on and off for the past two years. I picked it up a few weeks ago but am completely stuck in Fourside after going through the desert.

Pokey is in one of the office buildings that I can enter, but once I speak to him his guards throw me out and tell me to never come back.

Furthermore there's a theatre performance from the runaway five that I can watch over and over.

I've backtracked a little by exploring the desert as well but I can only find a hole/cave with a sleeping monkey who's blocking a path and won't move.

I've also completely lost track of what's going on with the story at this point.

All of this makes me want to start over completely, but I remember I got beat up hard at some part of the game (around mr Saturn village) so I decided to train and get a lot of levels before continuing and don't want to throw that away.

Anybody got any tips for this point of the game? Figured people in this thread might know where or why I'm stuck.

Neiteio

I've tried to play this on and off for the past two years. I picked it up a few weeks ago but am completely stuck in Fourside after going through the desert.

Pokey is in one of the office buildings that I can enter, but once I speak to him his guards throw me out and tell me to never come back.

Furthermore there's a theatre performance from the runaway five that I can watch over and over.

I've backtracked a little by exploring the desert as well but I can only find a hole/cave with a sleeping monkey who's blocking a path and won't move.

I've also completely lost track of what's going on with the story at this point.

All of this makes me want to start over completely, but I remember I got beat up hard at some part of the game (around mr Saturn village) so I decided to train and get a lot of levels before continuing and don't want to throw that away.

Anybody got any tips for this point of the game? Figured people in this thread might know where or why I'm stuck.
If I recall correctly, the Runaway Five are once again indebted to a theater manager, and you once again need to pay off their debt. After talking to everyone at the theater, you need to go back to the desert and visit the gold prospector. The gold mines will now be open, and you can go inside to defeat five mole monsters. Once they're gone, one of the miners will give you a diamond when you cross the bridge back to Fourside. You can use this diamond to pay off the debt of the Runaway Five and set them free. At that point, the department store should open, IIRC.

If you're ever unclear about what to do next, you can also talk to the hint man. In Fourside, he's in the courtyard behind the hotel.

Neiteio

Also, Ragnamith, you should keep this bookmarked: http://earthbound.nintendo.com/playersguide/

It's the official player's guide that came bundled with the game back in the '90s. Nintendo uploaded it for new players to use. If you click on the left to go to Chapters, then click Strategy, you can choose Fourside and find out what to do.

Also, I'm not sure, but the down arrow at the bottom might skip two pages at a time, so use the up and down arrows on the right side of the screen.

Here's the page where you're currently stuck: http://earthbound.nintendo.com/playersguide/#/65

Makonero

This thread got me thinking earlier this morning about what a great, faithful animated tv show based on Earthbound would look like. I can imagine the first season being dedicated to the first four cities and gathering the first three characters. There's so much material that I think you'd have at least three seasons before defeating Giygas...and then the next season is a flashback to Earthbound Beginnings where we learn the origin of the alien invader and his relationship to Earth.

And then we flash forward into Mother 3.

What a great cartoon that would be.

Neiteio

This thread got me thinking earlier this morning about what a great, faithful animated tv show based on Earthbound would look like. I can imagine the first season being dedicated to the first four cities and gathering the first three characters. There's so much material that I think you'd have at least three seasons before defeating Giygas...and then the next season is a flashback to Earthbound Beginnings where we learn the origin of the alien invader and his relationship to Earth.

And then we flash forward into Mother 3.

What a great cartoon that would be.
Man, after the animated Pollyanna video (must-see!) &#8212; and yesterday's AMAZING Star Fox video (also must-see!) &#8212; I would be totally down for an EarthBound animated series, provided the quality was there (which I would imagine would involve Itoi in a consultation role).

But what style of animation do you think it would use? Something cel-shaded like Star Fox: The Battle Begins? Ghibli-style hand-drawn animation with CGI enhancements? Maybe even clay animation similar to the figures they use in promo art?

Makonero

Man, after the animated Pollyanna video (must-see!) &#8212; and yesterday's AMAZING Star Fox video (also must-see!) &#8212; I would be totally down for an EarthBound animated series, provided the quality was there (which I would imagine would involve Itoi in a consultation role).

But what style of animation do you think it would use? Something cel-shaded like Star Fox: The Battle Begins? Ghibli-style hand-drawn animation with CGI enhancements? Maybe even clay animation similar to the figures they use in promo art?

Claymation would be so expensive! I wouldn't mind any of those, but in my head it is a Saturday Morning cartoon from my youth, bright colors, fluidly animated. Battles with PSI could be awesome since the games give no real indication what battles look like (the level of abstraction is so good!). Maybe a CGI cartoon modeled after the clay figures would be good, as long as the CGI was good (think Green Lantern Animated Series).

Also, this should be the theme song (although updated maybe?).

Neiteio

Claymation would be so expensive! I wouldn't mind any of those, but in my head it is a Saturday Morning cartoon from my youth, bright colors, fluidly animated. Battles with PSI could be awesome since the games give no real indication what battles look like (the level of abstraction is so good!). Maybe a CGI cartoon modeled after the clay figures would be good, as long as the CGI was good (think Green Lantern Animated Series).

Also, this should be the theme song (although updated maybe?).
What would you think about a cartoon that uses the style in the animated Pollyanna video? Not the Flash tech (I imagine it was Flash), but the character designs, environmental design, etc. I think it did an excellent job capturing the spirit of the in-game imagery.

Makonero

What would you think about a cartoon that uses the style in the animated Pollyanna video? Not the Flash tech (I imagine it was Flash), but the character designs, environmental design, etc. I think it did an excellent job capturing the spirit of the in-game imagery.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I'd be thrilled with anything Earthbound related at this point. I have a distinct feeling Nintendo won't pursue anything with the brand because Itoi's not interested, but I would love a cartoon, or a specific presence in their theme park endeavors, or more acknowledgements of the characters than just in Smash Bros. Why not have Ness in the next Mario Kart? Or one of 9-Volt's games in Warioware be Earthbound related? But Nintendo has seemingly no interest. The amiibos are as far as I expect them to go. Glad I got both Ness and Lucas!

Tomita

Finished the game last night... This game man. Now I can finally enjoy most of the fan stuff I've had to avoid all this time cause of spoilers...Though still have to avoid Mother 3 spoilers... M3:
My fucking friend already told me his sister dies in the game! Thanks friend!!!!

This game is so hopeful, but the part where they're turned into robots made me feel so much dispair. Like, it's a video game, the boss is totally beatable. And since the game is so hopeful, there's no way the ending will be bleak. Yet, it was like our bodies were totally ruined, and all that's left is our souls in these crappy hunks of metal... and it's like "This is it? This is all we have against Giygas?" It felt so hopeless. Like we would try, but in our pathetic state Giygas would surely defeat us anyway. There was no way we could win like this. I was so full of dread as I approached the ending. And yet the battle wasn't so bad. Like, don't get me wrong, everyone but Ness died like five billion times, but I managed to resurrect them all every time. (Again, it's just a video game; everyone but Paula--or maybe Ness too--could have stayed dead and it wouldn't matter. But it's like "No, damnit, my friends can't die now!" Also I always had shit luck when using Ness' PSI to resurrect people and left it to Poo to do it, but somehow Ness almost always succeeded in bringing his friends back in that battle...) Truth be told, I knew I had to get Paula to pray to beat the game, but even then... I dunno, everything just felt so bleak but then I finally beat the boss!! And the part where Paula prayed to you was a nice touch. How it goes from barely saying your name, then your full name... Then part of you is like "lol this is just a video game it's not like it's self aware and can read my mind..." and then the game goes back to barely saying your name, and you're like "Shit no game stop NESS AND HIS FRIENDS HAVE GOTTA WIN" and then it shows your full name again... Earthbound is totally conscious you guys.

From only playing Mother 2 Pokey still seems like a dick though...? Skipped your guys' other arguments before because I didn't want spoilers, and now I'm like...should I go back and read what you guys said or are there Mother 3 spoilers in there? After getting the spoiler I said above I don't want to know literally anything else about Mother 3, so I'm sure you understand my trepidation. ): I mean, sure, his parents sucked. He was sorta screwed from the start. But this game, as said, is always about hope. There's a lot of questionable people throughout the game, but there's always something redeemable about them. Like Jeff's Dad or some of the criminals... There might be bad people, sure, but they aren't all bad. But everything about Pokey throughout the game seems to paint him as rotten to the core. Maybe someone could help him somehow, but he can't seem to help himself. I dunno, I can feel pity for him, but I don't think the game has anything nice to say about him.
His poop has scarred part of the desert, like come on! lol

I also have two questions about the very end... Was there a way for Paula to come back to my house? When I talked to my Mom, it seemed like when I did the photo thing with her Paula would come back, but she didn't, and Paula would only tell me to go back to my family when I talked to her. Also, I read somewhere that I was supposed to buy the seaside house for a bonus at the end...What was the bonus? Was I supposed to go inside with Paula? I think I returned her home before I did. I read the magazine thing, which was so weird and random... Was there some deep meaning behind that, or just more random Earthbound humor? Don't get the point of that house beyond that weird journal thing.

It's still so hard to call the characters by their official names. Like, for other games I have no problem doing this if I use nicknames! But I used Harry/Paula/John/Ringo and, like, Poo is 100% Ringo to me. That's what I named him!! Earthbound's got me in the feels. Also, John is already too much like his dad. Doesn't call poor Tony back at all. Poor Tony. ):

When the game at the end said "I'll miss you..." ;___; And that was totally Itoi's voice, wasn't it? Ugh I so hope Nintendo's E3 surprise is official Mother 3 translation and I can play it on my New 3DS... I don't want to hope, I don't want disappointment, but ugh!

Makonero

Finished the game last night... This game man. Now I can finally enjoy most of the fan stuff I've had to avoid all this time cause of spoilers...Though still have to avoid Mother 3 spoilers... M3:
My fucking friend already told me his sister dies in the game! Thanks friend!!!!

Lucas has no sister. You are safe, friend.

Makonero

Maybe the friend played it in Japanese and got confused. I first played it with a translated script on GameFAQs - not particularly recommended.

I played a bit of it on my GBA when I bought it in Japan, but the fan translation was a much better experience overall. But at least Nintendo got my money, so I don't feel guilty.

Tomita

Lucas has no sister. You are safe, friend.

Holy shit, that's great. My friend only "knew" that from their brother, so lol.

I just wanted to go into Mother 3 completely blind. I know the feel is a bit different from Earthbound/Mother 2, so I wanted to go in really open minded. And if Nintendo really doesn't have an E3 surprise I'll start it on an emulator this summer. Wanna play as Lucas in something not named Smash Bros!

Neiteio

This game is so hopeful, but the part where they're turned into robots made me feel so much dispair. Like, it's a video game, the boss is totally beatable. And since the game is so hopeful, there's no way the ending will be bleak. Yet, it was like our bodies were totally ruined, and all that's left is our souls in these crappy hunks of metal... and it's like "This is it? This is all we have against Giygas?" It felt so hopeless. Like we would try, but in our pathetic state Giygas would surely defeat us anyway. There was no way we could win like this. I was so full of dread as I approached the ending. And yet the battle wasn't so bad. Like, don't get me wrong, everyone but Ness died like five billion times, but I managed to resurrect them all every time. (Again, it's just a video game; everyone but Paula--or maybe Ness too--could have stayed dead and it wouldn't matter. But it's like "No, damnit, my friends can't die now!" Also I always had shit luck when using Ness' PSI to resurrect people and left it to Poo to do it, but somehow Ness almost always succeeded in bringing his friends back in that battle...) Truth be told, I knew I had to get Paula to pray to beat the game, but even then... I dunno, everything just felt so bleak but then I finally beat the boss!! And the part where Paula prayed to you was a nice touch. How it goes from barely saying your name, then your full name... Then part of you is like "lol this is just a video game it's not like it's self aware and can read my mind..." and then the game goes back to barely saying your name, and you're like "Shit no game stop NESS AND HIS FRIENDS HAVE GOTTA WIN" and then it shows your full name again... Earthbound is totally conscious you guys.

From only playing Mother 2 Pokey still seems like a dick though...? Skipped your guys' other arguments before because I didn't want spoilers, and now I'm like...should I go back and read what you guys said or are there Mother 3 spoilers in there? After getting the spoiler I said above I don't want to know literally anything else about Mother 3, so I'm sure you understand my trepidation. ): I mean, sure, his parents sucked. He was sorta screwed from the start. But this game, as said, is always about hope. There's a lot of questionable people throughout the game, but there's always something redeemable about them. Like Jeff's Dad or some of the criminals... There might be bad people, sure, but they aren't all bad. But everything about Pokey throughout the game seems to paint him as rotten to the core. Maybe someone could help him somehow, but he can't seem to help himself. I dunno, I can feel pity for him, but I don't think the game has anything nice to say about him.
His poop has scarred part of the desert, like come on! lol

I also have two questions about the very end... Was there a way for Paula to come back to my house? When I talked to my Mom, it seemed like when I did the photo thing with her Paula would come back, but she didn't, and Paula would only tell me to go back to my family when I talked to her. Also, I read somewhere that I was supposed to buy the seaside house for a bonus at the end...What was the bonus? Was I supposed to go inside with Paula? I think I returned her home before I did. I read the magazine thing, which was so weird and random... Was there some deep meaning behind that, or just more random Earthbound humor? Don't get the point of that house beyond that weird journal thing.

It's still so hard to call the characters by their official names. Like, for other games I have no problem doing this if I use nicknames! But I used Harry/Paula/John/Ringo and, like, Poo is 100% Ringo to me. That's what I named him!! Earthbound's got me in the feels. Also, John is already too much like his dad. Doesn't call poor Tony back at all. Poor Tony. ):

When the game at the end said "I'll miss you..." ;___; And that was totally Itoi's voice, wasn't it? Ugh I so hope Nintendo's E3 surprise is official Mother 3 translation and I can play it on my New 3DS... I don't want to hope, I don't want disappointment, but ugh!
Awesome writeup! It's neat reading someone else's take on the game after just completing it for the first time myself. :)

Now you have me curious if anything different happens if you go back to the seaside cottage after beating the game. I went back and talked to every NPC, but I'm not sure if I checked back in there.

Regarding Pokey, it'd be nice if he has redeeming qualities in Mother 3, but I don't think it's a spoiler to say it doesn't really sound that way. But who knows. I haven't played it myself and I've barely looked into its story. I'll just share a spoiler-free impression: It seems rather dark. Here's hoping it ends optimistically, but the little I know about Mother 3 makes it sound like a bleak game. But I imagine it must have real heart to touch people the way it has.

I'm so curious to play it myself! And at this point, it seems like it's being localized. Numerous reputable journalists (Eurogamer, etc) and reliable rumormongers (Emily Rogers) have testified to this. I imagine it'll be an E3 surprise, but probably only for the WiiU at this point, as per the rumors. Makes sense, I suppose, since WiiU already has GBA emulation going, although I'd personally prefer to play it on my N3DS.

Dimmle

Mother 3 is noticeably more bleak in some respects but ultimately shares the optimism and candid tenor of its precursors. That's not even touching on the subject of the ending.

As a whole it's distinguished from the games that came before it by being a more directed experience, sharper in wit, and saturated with pathos for its characters.

Neiteio

Mother 3 is noticeably more bleak in some respects but ultimately shares the optimism and candid tenor of its precursors. That's not even touching on the subject of the ending.

As a whole it's distinguished from the games that came before it by being a more directed experience, sharper in wit, and saturated with pathos for its characters.
I don't know if there's a spoiler-free way to address this, but I hope Mother 3 has a happy ending where I feel the characters ended up in a good place. The ending of EarthBound is super-satisfying because you imagine Ness returning to his family, leading a normal childhood, falling in love with Paula, etc. They even let you take a "victory lap" of the world during the post-game and revisit places that used to be crawling with enemies but that are now at peace. I love that, and it really makes it feel like the journey was worth it.

Dimmle

I don't know if there's a spoiler-free way to address this, but I hope Mother 3 has a happy ending where I feel the characters ended up in a good place. The ending of EarthBound is super-satisfying because you imagine Ness returning to his family, leading a normal childhood, falling in love with Paula, etc. They even let you take a "victory lap" of the world during the post-game and revisit places that used to be crawling with enemies but that are now at peace. I love that, and it really makes it feel like the journey was worth it.

I'm very interested in hearing your response to the ending, then! That's all I'll say about that.

BTW, the tagline for the game was "strange, funny, and heartrending."

Neiteio

I'm very interested in hearing your response to the ending, then! That's all I'll say about that.

BTW, the tagline for the game was "strange, funny, and heartrending."
Hmm, this fills me with apprehension about whether Mother 3 has a happy ending... :-/

On a side note, when is Mother 3 set in relation to Mother 2? I imagine Mother 1 is another timeline/continuity entirely, correct? I say this because it seems like a prototype to Mother 2 and seems to share many of the same beats, while I've heard Mother 3 actually makes direct references to Mother 2.

Who else played this the week it came out ?

Honestly, I thought the game was pretty "meh" back then.
I mean, we're talking about an jrpg than came out post FF IV, VI and some other gems.

It was a good game, but I didn't go bonkers for it.

Makonero

Hmm, this fills me with apprehension about whether Mother 3 has a happy ending... :-/

On a side note, when is Mother 3 set in relation to Mother 2? I imagine Mother 1 is another timeline/continuity entirely, correct? I say this because it seems like a prototype to Mother 2 and seems to share many of the same beats, while I've heard Mother 3 actually makes direct references to Mother 2.

An ending is what you make of it! That's all I'll say.

I believe the morning sun
Always gonna shine again, and,
I believe a pot of gold
Waits at every rainbow's end, oh
I believe in roses kissed with dew,
Why shouldn't I believe the same in you?

Mother 3 is definitely a direct sequel. But with new characters and locations. Can't say too much on it.

And it has the best ending I've ever seen in a video game

Fandangox

Is set on a mostly undefined timeframe after Mother 2, anything else would be spoilers.

Dimmle

Don't worry about it! I don't want to mislead you.

There is a continuity but saying any more would be too much. Just rest assured that there are direct homages to Mother 2 in the game, some superficial and some with major implications.

Makonero

As for Earthbound Beginnings' continuity... the Japanese subititle for Mother 2 is Giygas Strikes Back, so it is technically a direct sequel. But Giygas is the only recurring character.

L Thammy

Neiteio, I think that if you keep asking Mother 3 questions, you're going to find yourself in spoilertown. A big part of the game is seeing where it goes from its simple premise; a family living in a village in a set of fairy tale islands. Maybe you honestly consider getting a ROM, or an import copy and a flash cart. You can always buy the official translation if and when it comes out, even if you played the fan translation first.

Who else played this the week it came out ?

Honestly, I thought the game was pretty "meh" back then.
I mean, we're talking about an jrpg than came out post FF IV, VI and some other gems.

It was a good game, but I didn't go bonkers for it.

The first time I played it, I didn't have the patience for it. But I played it again later and changed my mind completely.

Neiteio

Neiteio, I think that if you keep asking Mother 3 questions, you're going to find yourself in spoilertown. A big part of the game is seeing where it goes from its simple premise; a family living in a village in a set of fairy tale islands. Maybe you honestly consider getting a ROM, or an import copy and a flash cart. You can always buy the official translation if and when it comes out, even if you played the fan translation first.
I know the general consensus on the fan translation is it's quality, but man, the lore in a game always feel so much more real when it's official. Like I'm already trying to not get attached to the name "NK Cyborg" just because Nintendo of America might localize it differently. So I'm kind of reluctant to play the fan translation in advance for that reason. Although this would certainly be easier if we have even more evidence that a Western release is in the pipeline. It certainly sounds that way, but it's tough!

Dimmle

Yeah, I love any venue that exists to discuss Mother 3 but if we're going to get into it... then the spoiler gloves have to come off.

Re: possible localization changes, it's going to be super hard to stop saying Kumatora or Hinawa. I'm sure they're both getting name changes.

Makonero

Yeah, I love any venue that exists to discuss Mother 3 but if we're going to get into it... then the spoiler gloves have to come off.

Re: possible localization changes, it's going to be super hard to stop saying Kumatora or Hinawa. I'm sure they're both getting name changes.

There is a character whose name was changed for the translation that's pitch perfect and I'll be upset if they don't use it.

Spoilers (?):
Fassad

L Thammy

EDIT: What Makonero said.

Neiteio

I hope the fan base has the humility to let Nintendo come up with similar ideas for the localization without immediately accusing them of "stealing" ideas. I mean, I'm sure there are some puns, etc, that Nintendo would've honest-to-goodness come up with on their own, regardless of whether there's a fan translation out there.

Speaking of which, did they call the pig/flower hybrid "Pigtunia?" That'd be perfect.

Neiteio

They might do it specifically to avoid being anything like the fan translation. Which would make me sad.
Yeah, see, this is what has me worried.

I'm a journalist by trade, covering a variety of topics, and sometimes when I have access to a lot of documents, I find myself painstakingly rewording things that are already articulated fine as is, simply because I don't want to unwittingly plagiarize something.

The point is, it would suck if by sheer chance the fan translation already picked the perfect name for something, and Nintendo felt obligated to use a lesser name simply to avoid appearing like they're copying.

I just hope they use the words they truly feel are best for the game.

Dimmle

Yeah, see, this is what has me worried.

I'm a journalist by trade, covering a variety of topics, and sometimes when I have access to a lot of documents, I find myself painstakingly rewording things that are already articulated fine as is, simply because I don't want to unwittingly plagiarize something.

The point is, it would suck if by sheer chance the fan translation already picked the perfect name for something, and Nintendo felt obligated to use a lesser name simply to avoid appearing like they're copying.

I just hope they use the words they truly feel are best for the game.

the bad news here is it's an extremely good fan translation and a lot of the names are definitely perfect

EDIT: and the answer to your other question is "Parental Kangashark"

wmlk

I want to play EarthBound and Mother 3. Should I play Mother/EarthBound Beginnings? It just doesn't look anywhere as whimsical or interesting to me.

Dimmle

I want to play EarthBound and Mother 3. Should I play Mother/EarthBound Beginnings? It just doesn't look anywhere as whimsical or interesting to me.

Start with Earthbound, continue to Mother 3, and play Mother 1 if you feel you desperately need more of the series. You might be more willing to forgive its shortcomings if you let it serve as an epilogue. Mother 1 has a pervasive, lonesome, eerie mood all its own.

Makonero

Play the games in whatever order you like! They're largely standalone and each has different qualities that may appeal to you.

Mother/EBB: Creepiest, oldest, definitely most difficult and old school of the three. Charming in its own way, but definitely a dark tone to it. The best music in the series (because it started it all). Story is very basic and characterization is pretty much nil.
Mother 2/EB: A classic, no more random battles, whimsical characters and an old-school battle system. Very simple story, almost episodic in nature.
Mother 3: A more focused story, a more nuanced battle system, and a much more adult tone. If Earthbound is nostalgia-based, Mother 3 is the real world encroaching on that nostalgia. The most artistic of the games, I'd say, and the one with the clearest and most meaningful message.

l

Mother/EBB: Creepiest, oldest, definitely most difficult and old school of the three. Charming in its own way, but definitely a dark tone to it. The best music in the series (because it started it all). Story is very basic and characterization is pretty much nil.
Mother 2/EB: A classic, no more random battles, whimsical characters and an old-school battle system. Very simple story, almost episodic in nature.
Mother 3: A more focused story, a more nuanced battle system, and a much more adult tone. If Earthbound is nostalgia-based, Mother 3 is the real world encroaching on that nostalgia. The most artistic of the games, I'd say, and the one with the clearest and most meaningful message.

You and I are on the same page regarding our analysis of the franchise.

Top Bottom