• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: EarthBound — Warm, weird, wonderful… and full of so much love! <3

Hazmat

Speaking of unreliable attacks, the thing that made Magicant go much more smoothly was realizing the Casey Bat has shit accuracy. When I switched to the Magicant Bat, it made a world of difference.

Actually, that's something I'd like to point out to new players: If your weapon isn't hitting consistently, it probably has poor accuracy. Might be stronger than another weapon, but it'll hit less often!

Haha, I was wondering why your write up described Magicant as being difficult. Personally, I don't even really use any of the slingshots because their poor accuracy bums me out.

Neiteio

Haha, I was wondering why your write up described Magicant as being difficult. Personally, I don't even really use any of the slingshots because their poor accuracy bums me out.
Not a slingshot — I was using a bat. The main challenge was the Loaded Dice and the Care Free Bombs they kept summoning. They chewed through my Flying Men like nothing!

Dimmle

So happy to hear there's a bestiary! Model/sprite viewers with flavor text are the best.

Question: How do rhythm attacks work in a turn-based game??

After you initiate a basic attack (like the regular Attack command in Earthbound or any other classic JRPG), you have the option to continue tapping A to the tempo of the enemy's musical track to do tremendous amounts of bonus damage. It can make many battles much easier if you're nailing the rhythm bonuses. There are also very clever boss battles with music that toys with the player by slowing down, speeding up, halting, or completely changing. It's a very clever and completely optional mechanic. All enemies have unique musical tracks or variations that you can practice in the bestiary.

Hazmat

Not a slingshot — I was using a bat. The main challenge was the Loaded Dice and the Care Free Bombs they kept summoning. They chewed through my Flying Men like nothing!

Oh, I know. The Casey Bat has exceptionally bad accuracy (it's named after the poem Casey at the Bat, which is about a powerful hitter striking out). I just meant that while everyone agrees that the Casey Bat is trash, I don't even like the slingshots because they miss more than regular bats.

Man Loaded Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!

What made matters worse is I couldn't run away from them most of the time, so they'd summon a CFB on the turn I tried to run and It'd just go downhill from there

PBalfredo

What made matters worse is I couldn't run away from them most of the time, so they'd summon a CFB on the turn I tried to run and It'd just go downhill from there

Speaking of irritating enemies...

Which was worse trio to run into in their respective levels?

Final Starman, Nuclear Reactor Robot and Ghost of Starman

or

Musica, Mystical Record and Scalding Coffee Cup?

Neiteio

I can't stop thinking about EarthBound.

I was trying to describe to a non-gamer friend how this game made me feel, and...

and...

GAH

FEELINGS

Yep. Loaded Dice are the Anor Londo archers of EarthBound, if you ask me.

PBalfredo

Some of my favorite EarthBound moments are just the odd bits of dialog you find here and there. It makes it really satisfying to explore every nook and cranny to experience just how thoroughly kooky this world is.

mL5BDP0.jpg

Good. You wouldn't want to accidentally kidnap someone. That would be embarrassing.

ERNsdIb.jpg

0PKCBNe.jpg

The text pausing for a beat between "There is a Bomb inside!" and "[Ness] takes it." really sells it.

Also, some unique dialog if Paula is KO'ed when you return her to Twoson.
Y5BGWvJ.jpg

Tomita

Another instance of the game being self aware! Not long after this the cops will want to kick your butt... It's actually a pretty hard boss battle for newcomers.

The cop part almost got me, cause I was low on health and figured oh, I'm just in town, I can heal whenever... NOPE. But I beat it at one try anyway.

This is actually one of the last screenshots I took. I never could figure out what triggered that message haha. There's clearly no one on the street!

That's because the game thinks you're trying to read the sign / call the bus. However, you must read the sign from behind to get the bus, otherwise the game will scold you like so.

or

Records and Coffee cups! Man that department store was so tough. Paula had the badge too! And I was so impatient to finish so I could save Paula!! Hard times.

I tried to google the Mother 1 pdf (s?) but the links I found are all dead. ): Had no idea there were multiple guide books for this! I wish Mother 1 had a guide book like Earthbound, but I know that one was pretty unique (with the newspaper clippings and it feeling like a travel guide).

Speaking of unreliable attacks, the thing that made Magicant go much more smoothly was realizing the Casey Bat has shit accuracy. When I switched to the Magicant Bat, it made a world of difference.

Actually, that's something I'd like to point out to new players: If your weapon isn't hitting consistently, it probably has poor accuracy. Might be stronger than another weapon, but it'll hit less often!

Someone already mentioned the poem Casey at the Bat, but Disney made a cartoon short of it as well back in 1946. It's pretty good. Basically, that item of yours was doomed. :)

I love the writing in this game.

or

Have to go with Musica, Mystical, and Scalding.

By the time I ran into FS, NRR, and GoS I loaded up on Multi Bottle Rockets so they became a non issue.

With the former I didn't have nearly as much money and you only have Ness and Jeff, so it was much more difficult imo.

Yep. Loaded Dice are the Anor Londo archers of EarthBound, if you ask me.

Anor Londo archers interestingly never gave me an issue. I could be misremembering but I would slowly approach with my shield and took them down one by one.

Neiteio

Anor Londo archers interestingly never gave me an issue. I could be misremembering but I would slowly approach with my shield and took them down one by one.
(They didn't give me trouble either &#8212; I just ran past the one archer and shielded against the other with my back against the wall, until it knocked itself off its perch. But I still referenced it because of DAT INFAMY.)

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the hippy is there and whether I can reach him

In fact, I'm suspicious of that whole area between the tunnels. It's just... there!

It's just a weird quirk with the enemies that happens occasionally. You may have noticed an unreachable Mad Duck in Saturn Valley, too.

Some of my favorite EarthBound moments are just the odd bits of dialog you find here and there. It makes it really satisfying to explore every nook and cranny to experience just how thoroughly kooky this world is.

mL5BDP0.jpg

Good. You wouldn't want to accidentally kidnap someone. That would be embarrassing.

ERNsdIb.jpg

0PKCBNe.jpg

The text pausing for a beat between "There is a Bomb inside!" and "[Ness] takes it." really sells it.

Also, some unique dialog if Paula is KO'ed when you return her to Twoson.
Y5BGWvJ.jpg

That Mr. T line is one of my favorites, lol. And I never knew that about Paula.

zlCfzRMZ1bcyOCtPmI

This is actually one of the last screenshots I took. I never could figure out what triggered that message haha. There's clearly no one on the street!

For some reason I didn't take many screenshots after this. Ah well, whenever I replay it again I'm sure I will.

It's because you were standing too close to the road to summon the bus. You need to read bus signs while standing where the sign separates you from the road.

Dimmle

Thanks, Neiteio. Now I'm stuck thinking about Mother. It's amazing the kind of galvanizing effect this series can have on certain people.

Neiteio

He could always play Earthbound Beginnings to scratch that itch. :p
I actually looked up a longplay of Mother 1 on YouTube, one with no commentary, just to get a feel for the game. And it's pretty neat. Game opens with an unsettling description of an incident in the early 1900s where a man and his wife disappeared, and then a couple years later the man came back but not the wife, and the man began working on something in private. Then it fast-forwards to the '80s/'90s, and like Mother 2, you start in the hero's bedroom. Only this time, the lamps come to life in your house and start attacking your family!

Your dad on the phone speculates it was a poltergeist (and does so very matter-of-factly). You can talk to you sister repeatedly to stock up on orange juice, and then go outside to retrieve a key from the collar on the dog in the front yard. You use this key to open the basement door. The basement is pitch black and has several chests containing useful gear, but you're attacked by mice!

...and that's all I saw of Mother 1. It definitely has an intriguing vibe to it. I'm thinking I'll download it this weekend. I won't expect it to be as "fun" or as "smooth" as Mother 2, but I'll take it as a "rough draft" of storytelling and gameplay that was later evolved and refined in the sequel. I'm already curious about the man and his wife mentioned in the beginning, and indeed the atmosphere and music seems great in Mother 1.

But what I -really- want is Mother 3.

CggoXdlUIAAT3GH.jpg

Makonero

I actually looked up a longplay of Mother 1 on YouTube, one with no commentary, just to get a feel for the game. And it's pretty neat. Game opens with an unsettling description of an incident in the early 1900s where a man and his wife disappeared, and then a couple years later the man came back but not the wife, and the man began working on something in private. Then it fast-forwards to the '80s/'90s, and like Mother 2, you start in the hero's bedroom. Only this time, the lamps come to life in your house and start attacking your family!

Your dad on the phone speculates it was a poltergeist (and does so very matter-of-factly). You can talk to you sister repeatedly to stock up on orange juice, and then go outside to retrieve a key from the collar on the dog in the front yard. You use this key to open the basement door. The basement is pitch black and has several chests containing useful gear, but you're attacked by mice!

...and that's all I saw of Mother 1. It definitely has an intriguing vibe to it. I'm thinking I'll download it this weekend. I won't expect it to be as "fun" or as "smooth" as Mother 2, but I'll take it as a "rough draft" of storytelling and gameplay that was later evolved and refined in the sequel. I'm already curious about the man and his wife mentioned in the beginning, and indeed the atmosphere and music seems great in Mother 1.

But what I -really- want is Mother 3.

CggoXdlUIAAT3GH.jpg

If you do play Earthbound Beginnings, please make liberal use of the Starmen.net Walkthrough. Getting stuck in EBB is really easy since the world is huge and lot of the time nothing is communicated about your next stop. With the high level of random encounters, I would have gone insane without a guide. The guide even provides level suggestions so you know when you should grind (there were maybe two or three spots in the game where I grinded significantly, but otherwise it felt pretty natural).

And Mother 3 will hopefully be announced and released soon! But if we don't hear about it at or before E3, then all bets are off.

jnWake

Only one I haven't played through is Mother 1, though I own it so it's on my backlog.

I have, however, listened to its soundtrack and it's damn good. Some highlights:

Title Theme - You can definitely feel the influence over Undertale here!
Magicant - Peaceful and dreamy! There's a wonderful remix of this song in Sm4sh.
Factory - This one returns in Earthbound but they removed the peaceful part in the middle for some reason. I prefer this version over the SNES one.
Snowman - A classic. Probably my favourite Mother series tune.

There's more of course, you can listen to the playlist!

And don't get me started on the music of Earthbound and Mother 3...

Neiteio

Since I am a crazy person, and I don't feel like interviewing people right now, I quickly wrote up ideas for an EarthBound attraction at a Nintendo Land theme park.

This is not meant to be realistic, but is based on a scenario where Nintendo decides to treat Mother/EarthBound like Disney would treat their classic movie IPs. We don't expect sequels to, say, Cinderella, but Disney continues to promote it as part of their identity. In this ideal scenario, Nintendo would do the same for Mother/EarthBound, regardless of "relevance" in the West.

I actually have a whole document full of ideas for my dream version of Nintendo Land. Maybe I'll detail the rest in a separate thread. But for now:

In the southeast of star-shaped Nintendo Land, on the shores of a manmade lake, is World of EarthBound. It's similar to World Showcase at Disney World, which has mini versions of 11 different nations lined up in a row. On the opposite shore of the lake is the town of Animal Crossing.

In World of EarthBound, you have towns along the waterfront and smaller sub-areas behind them. There are photo opportunities, costumed actors and animatronics, stage productions and live entertainment, places to eat and drink, gift shops, and perhaps simulator and dark ride attractions.

Locations include:

- Downtown Onett, featuring the drugstore, burger joint, bakery, pizzeria, and arcade, with appearances by Mayor Pirkle, Captain Strong, Frank Fly, the Sharks, Frankystein Mark II, and more. This is a place to eat and shop while surrounded by characters. The arcade could be a functional arcade, as well.

--> Behind Downtown Onett are the Suburbs, featuring the homes of Ness, Pokey and Lier, the crash site of the meteorite, police roadblocks (that you can comically walk around while a cop actor tells you to stop), and an appearance by Buzz Buzz. Lots of photo ops here.

- Next to Downtown Onett is Twoson, with the marketplace of Burglin Park overseen by Everdred, the nearby homes of Apple Kid and Orange Kid, and the Polestar Daycare. Polestar functions as an actual daycare, and the marketplace features abundant merchandise to buy from vendors acting in character (i.e. New Age Retro Hippy, etc).

--> Behind Twoson is the sleepy hamlet of Happy-Happy Village, painted blue by the cultists led by Mr. Carpainter. Lots of environmental storytelling here, including Paula (an actress) in her cell at the mountain cabin, giving the Franklin Badge to guests. Also a great opportunity to pose for a pic with the Mani Mani Statue, and a blue cow!

- Next to Twoson is Threed, featuring the circus tent and many costumed actors playing the role of numerous ghouls. If you've ever been to Cedar Point during Halloweekends, this would be something similar. Environmental storytelling would have the townsfolk fleeing from the zombies and plotting how to stop them. I wonder if there could be a simulator ride of sorts inside the tent?

--> Behind Threed is the village of Saturn Valley, with the Phase Distorter and small houses with tall ladders. An animatronic Master Belch emerges from Grapefruit Falls to antagonize the Mr. Saturns, which are radio-controlled and can interact with guests.

- Next to Threed is Fourside, with faux spires (including the Monotoli Building &#8212; think how Toontown handled its cityscape) around the Topolla Theater, where guests can catch a live performance by the Runaway Five, featuring Venus. An animatronic Mad Taxi can growl at guests and expel exhaust at them!

--> Behind Fourside is the illusory world of Moonside &#8212; essentially a series of black-light rooms and corridors meant to feel like an expansive city, with holograms and other tricks depicting enemies like Abstract Art, Dali's Clock, etc. Essentially a funhouse.

- Next to Fourside are the Nowhere Islands from Mother 3 &#8212; complete with the farm of Lucas and Claus, the sunflower fields, and the nearby valley with the gentle dinos. This would be followed by several other areas from Mother 3... but my ability to describe them is limited by my lack of knowledge from the game! I'm sure there are more memorable areas beyond the one area I've seen, though. ;-)

Other notes: Animatronics of Tessie and the Kraken would occasionally rise from the waters. Maybe Dungeon Man and the Flying Men could appear somewhere. Drones of the Skyrunner and Pokey's helicopter would sometimes fly across the sky, as well. Nice lil' Easter eggs for observant guests to spot and photograph!

Or perhaps the Kraken could be part of an underground ride that also includes the pyramid of Scaraba and the jungles of Deep Darkness before meeting the natives of Tenda Village and eluding dinosaurs in the Lost Underworld. Maybe go all the way and have a grand finale against Giygas in the Cave of the Past!

I thought about working in Winters and/or Dusty Dunes, eschewing sub-areas and simply making them twice as deep. But I tried to draw the line somewhere, lol.

Neiteio

Haha, I think it would be fun for the actor, finding creative ways to screw with guests and relocating their roadblock to do so. The actors at these parks tend to have a blast even with the most "bit" of roles! :)

Not to mention many of them could rotate through roles. Obstructing traffic as an Onett cop in the morning, and then sloshing blue paint on houses in Happy-Happy Village by noon!

Neiteio

If you do play Earthbound Beginnings, please make liberal use of the Starmen.net Walkthrough. Getting stuck in EBB is really easy since the world is huge and lot of the time nothing is communicated about your next stop. With the high level of random encounters, I would have gone insane without a guide. The guide even provides level suggestions so you know when you should grind (there were maybe two or three spots in the game where I grinded significantly, but otherwise it felt pretty natural).

And Mother 3 will hopefully be announced and released soon! But if we don't hear about it at or before E3, then all bets are off.
Random encounters, eh?

*PTSD flashbacks to Zubats at Mount Moon*

Not sure if I can deal!

L Thammy

I think Neiteio's going to resort to stuffing himself with garbage can burgers and peanut cheese bars to stave off his Mother 3 craving. He's going to turn himself into Master Belch.

NolbertoS

Good read. I'm actually close to the final boss, but since Zelda,Metroid and Donkey Kong 2 came out, just been playing those games mostly :(. Wanna finish Mother 2

noquarter

Wait, is this true?? I never removed the Franklin Badge from Ness, and it did seem like Paula never hit anyone with PK Thunder... although I think she hit every now and then.

It's not true. The Franklin badge deflects thunder attacks off of whoever holds it, but it doesn't affect Paula's casting of it. It's just kind of a crummy, unreliable attack.
Well, sorry about that, been something that thought for like 20 years now, want to say my friend told me that when we were going through the game the first time and I just took it as fact. Guess I'll get it back from Escargo Express.

Also just thought about it and I guess it isn't the JRPG I've beat the most, played through Parasite Eve probably 15 times now. Just don't think of it the same since it is so short.

leroidys

Has anyone else read the trilogy that inspired the main plotline of Mother 3? I have, and it's dark AF. Like not even the darkest moments of the Mother trilogy come close.

I thought they were really good, and I'm kind of a literature snob FWIW. Didn't seem to bolster my understanding of the Mother series much necessarily though.

Joyful

Has anyone else read the trilogy that inspired the main plotline of Mother 3? I have, and it's dark AF. Like not even the darkest moments of the Mother trilogy come close.

I thought they were really good, and I'm kind of a literature snob FWIW. Didn't seem to bolster my understanding of the Mother series much necessarily though.

they are excellent. mother 3 uses the name lucas and claus and i think the fact they are twins are about where the simularity ends. if anyone wants some depressing books to read i highly recommend
yesterday is also a good book if you can find a copy although its shorter

Krammy

Whoops, coming back to this thread so many times got me to start another Earthbound run. The whole start of the game in Onett with the sharks is so good. Easily one of my favourite sections along with Threed and The Cave of the Past.

eIUgx0n.gif

egrv6id.gif
akoA6tk.gif

yS55p02.gif
fXI5VKm.gif

PBalfredo

fme6KAE.jpg

"Oh floor lamp, this world is so unpredictable, but at least I know you'll never betray me"

I should really finish EarthBound Beginnings someday. The furthest I've ever gotten is Duncan's Factory. I got it on my Wii U, but I'm still deep in 1 out of 3 campaigns in Fire Emblem Fates, which I'm committed to 100%-ing.

Beginnings is probably one of the better NES RPGs, but it's still an NES RPG in every sense of the term. Be prepared to grind and hit sudden difficulty spikes. But it still has that Mother weirdness and memorable music. Probably the best incarnation of Magicant too.

Protip: Always keep asthma medicine on hand for Ninten, especially when he's solo, or certain types of enemies can shut him down completely.

Awakened

One of these days I want to replay Mother using DragonDePlatino's Mother: 25th Anniversary Edition hack. The redone graphics look great:

2211screenshot4uzjk7.png

And it's got a bunch of difficulty adjustments to make it more fun. The first time I played Mother was with Tomato's translation of the GBA version. The easy ring added in that made things much more palatable for me.

Not

Banned
Great, so I should've waited an extra week until the Neiteio thread to finish Earthbound apparently. 6 pages...

Neiteio

Great, so I should've waited an extra week until the Neiteio thread to finish Earthbound apparently. 6 pages...
Not sure how to interpret this. Are you lamenting how long this thread is? If so, how would going an extra week have made it easier to catch up on your reading??

L Thammy

I realized something today. If you think about it, there's a little Master Belch in everyone, just waiting to come out.

Is it weird that I cross the use the crosswalks when I play EarthBound? I mean, after you try out Ness' psychic car-stopping powers a few times.

Krammy

Decided to boot up Earthbound 0 real quick and grab Pippi just to illustrate how crazy she is.

plxYLYs.gif
F3DeCbW.gif

With half the EXP, she's the same level as Ninten and outclasses him in every way that counts for the early game.

Neiteio

Who is Pippi? I thought the party members were Ninten, Ana, Lloyd and Teddy?

And L Thammy, you're creepin' me out with this "inner Master Belch" talk!

*farts* *burps*

L Thammy

Who is Pippi? I thought the party members were Ninten, Ana, Lloyd and Teddy?

And L Thammy, you're creepin' me out with this "inner Master Belch" talk!

*farts* *burps*

Pippi is basically Pippi Longstocking. Fittingly, she's ridiculously strong.
Actually, I think she has the same stat growths as Teddy.

EDIT:
Wait, that's not the question you're asking. It's a temporary party member from very early in the game.

Because of this thread I decided to try the game again on my 3DS and I was doing okay but I'm at the fight with the 5 cops to get to Twoson and I'm getting fucking wrecked. I beat Titanic Ant with little difficulty but by the time I get to the 3rd cop I can't heal and don't have enough HP to do anything. Should I just go grind or what?

L Thammy

Because of this thread I decided to try the game again on my 3DS and I was doing okay but I'm at the fight with the 5 cops to get to Twoson and I'm getting fucking wrecked. I beat Titanic Ant with little difficulty but by the time I get to the 3rd cop I can't heal and don't have enough HP to do anything. Should I just go grind or what?

If you haven't already, load up on burgers. I assume you have PSI Lifeup as well.

Krammy

Did you get the Mr. Baseball Cap from the hidden treehouse in Onett? It raises your defence pretty significantly and is better than the hat you can buy at the store.

Neiteio

Grinding shouldn't be necessary. Stock up on food from the drugstore and make sure you're using the best equipment!

Top Bottom