• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: EarthBound — Warm, weird, wonderful… and full of so much love! <3

Neiteio

Play the games in whatever order you like! They're largely standalone and each has different qualities that may appeal to you.

Mother/EBB: Creepiest, oldest, definitely most difficult and old school of the three. Charming in its own way, but definitely a dark tone to it. The best music in the series (because it started it all). Story is very basic and characterization is pretty much nil.
Mother 2/EB: A classic, no more random battles, whimsical characters and an old-school battle system. Very simple story, almost episodic in nature.
Mother 3: A more focused story, a more nuanced battle system, and a much more adult tone. If Earthbound is nostalgia-based, Mother 3 is the real world encroaching on that nostalgia. The most artistic of the games, I'd say, and the one with the clearest and most meaningful message.
I've only seen bits and pieces of Mother 1 and Mother 3, but this all sounds great. What a series!

Makonero said:
Oh yeah, absolutely. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I'd be thrilled with anything Earthbound related at this point. I have a distinct feeling Nintendo won't pursue anything with the brand because Itoi's not interested, but I would love a cartoon, or a specific presence in their theme park endeavors, or more acknowledgements of the characters than just in Smash Bros. Why not have Ness in the next Mario Kart? Or one of 9-Volt's games in Warioware be Earthbound related? But Nintendo has seemingly no interest. The amiibos are as far as I expect them to go. Glad I got both Ness and Lucas!
We also got Mr. Saturn and Master Belch in Super Mario Maker, each with their own (very well-done) event courses!

The Master Belch sprite is pretty much the best thing rendered in 2D in recent history.

Neiteio

So I asked this earlier but I didn't get much of a response:

What do you think the English title would be for Mother 3?

Maybe "EarthBound 2" is the most dramatic, making it clear this is something new, notable and important.

Also, a question about EarthBound Beginnings: Did they alter the title screen to include the word "Beginnings?"

We also got Mr. Saturn and Master Belch in Super Mario Maker, each with their own (very well-done) event courses!

The Master Belch sprite is pretty much the best thing rendered in 2D in recent history.

Seeing Master Belch hopping around still blows my mind even now. Love Mr. Saturn's "up" command too.

Maybe "EarthBound 2" is the most dramatic, making it clear this is something new, notable and important.

I can't even imagine. "EarthBound Beginnings" was already weird enough but my deeper connection with Mother 3 prevents any ideas surfacing without a visible shudder. And that's not even getting into the inevitable character renaming!

Also, a question about EarthBound Beginnings: Did they alter the title screen to include the word "Beginnings?"

No, it's still just "EarthBound".

Dimmle

Personally, I'm pulling for "Earthbound Endings" to match the subtitle they appended to Mother 1 and to capture the finality of the game in the series. I don't care for "Earthbound 2" so much because it ties the game to Earthbound too overtly despite Mother 3 being a wholly distinct beast.

It's a bad precedent to begin with, though. Earthbound Beginnings is a bad name.

Neiteio

I actually think EarthBound Beginnings sounds great, but then again I don't have any prior preconceived notions of what it should've been named!

EarthBound Endings would have similar alliteration and finality, so that is a neat idea. It's true that "2" might set up the expectation of further installments.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm very interested in hearing your response to the ending, then! That's all I'll say about that.

BTW, the tagline for the game was "strange, funny, and heartrending."
I though the tag line was "No Crying Until the end?"

Personally, I'm pulling for "Earthbound Endings" to match the subtitle they appended to Mother 1 and to capture the finality of the game in the series. I don't care for "Earthbound 2" so much because it ties the game to Earthbound too overtly despite Mother 3 being a wholly distinct beast.

It's a bad precedent to begin with, though. Earthbound Beginnings is a bad name.

See, there's one that that already has me quaking in my boots.

I think I'm screwed no matter what they name it, lol

That's the first Mother.

Dimmle

I actually think EarthBound Beginnings sounds great, but then again I don't have any prior preconceived notions of what it should've been named!

EarthBound Endings would have similar alliteration and finality, so that is a neat idea. It's true that "2" might set up the expectation of further installments.

See, it's probably a perfectly fine name in that case. I just can't wipe away all those years of "Earthbound Zero" and "Mother 3." And yeah, the series is a trilogy so ending it with a "2" would feel strange (but not in a funny or heartrending way).

See, there's one that that already has me quaking in my boots.

I think I'm screwed no matter what they name it, lol

That's the first Mother.

What was the tagline for Mother 2, anyway? And don't say "This Game Stinks." :(

Tomita

"For grown-ups, children and young women."

Itoi felt women were drifting from games so he hoped Mother 2 would bring them back into the fold.

That's both nice and sad. Maybe that also explains the woman staring in Mother 3's ads.

I don't mind the title Earthbound Beginnings from the perspective of a Western market who never (legally) got the game. I love Mother 1, but it looks rather prehistoric compared to Earthbound/Mother 2--there are already people who say Mother 2's graphics look primitive. The gameplay of Mother 1 also did not age well. To the West, Mother 1 is honestly "Earthbound Beginnings." It's like "Hey, remember that cult game from the 90s called Earthbound? There was a game before it! It's basically a prequel!" You could also see it as a prequel to Giygas.

I understand seeing it as just Mother 1 / Earthbound 0 and preferring those, don't get me wrong. But I can also see NoA frowning at the idea of using "0" to subtitle a game, or using Mother 1 / Earthbound 1 and creating confusion instead. Nintendo is sorta screwed with Mother 1 & 3 either way, lol. I can't help but default to Earthbound for Mother 2. Earthbound is just a great word. Hard to avoid!

One of my favorite moments from Mother 1 has to be when Ninten and Ana had that little dance. Was waiting for a moment like that in Mother 2 for Ness and Paula, but it never came. ): Or I missed it, welp.

After playing the second game I really would love to replay Mother 1 to compare the two!! The atmosphere was definitely "creepy", but I loved it for that. (Does Mother 3 ever get that way at any part? Or is that spoilery?) I also looooooved Magicant and the little backstory with your family and how Giygas was portrayed and how you met Lloyd... Teddy was just lame though. Poo >>>>>> Teddy.

Really, Nintendo, you got no reason to keep a NES game off the 3DS eshop. Throw us a bone.

Neiteio

I still get chills thinking about the bit in EarthBound where you follow the suspicious woman into the hotel in Threed and... well, you know.

Dimmle

I still get chills thinking about the bit in EarthBound where you follow the suspicious woman into the hotel in Threed and... well, you know.

Yeah, that part is particularly unsettling. The lack of music, if I'm remembering correctly, drives it home. Threed is an amazing section of the game, really. The newspaper updates are my personal favorite bit.

antitrop

That's the first Mother.
Ya, I posted the link to that Mother 1 commercial a few pages back

Your mention of Eight Melodies reminds me of the amazing japanese TV commercial for Mother 1.

"No crying until the ending."

"Guaranteed masterpiece."

"MOTHER, the newest Famicom game from Shigesato Itoi, is at last complete."

That's a hell of a way to sell a game.

9LdWnwu.png

jnWake

I last played through this game in 2013 after I bought my Wii U. Instead of sharing my love of it through words I'll post some of the Miiverse pics I took of it back then:

I find it funny that he says the meteorite is different than usual. Does Onett get many meteorite crashes? The lore is deep.

The first time I played through the game, this section was the one that convinced me that Earthbound was special. From the wording of the text box to the simple absurdity of a pencil statue blocking your way, it's awesome. The fact that you need an eraser to clear this part makes it even better.

Just highlighting this one because Neiteio mentioned it in the OP. Oh, also, I won there.

I actually took quite a bit more and added silly messages to them in Miiverse but I don't want to put too many here!

I see there's also been a lot of discussion about Mother 3. Without getting too spoilery, it has a different tone than Earthbound, being a bit more grounded and serious. However, it's still very whimsy and quirky. The soundtrack is absolutely wonderful. The ending, which was also discussed earlier, is incredible. I can't really go deep into my feelings for it since I don't want to spoil but it's amazing.

If I have one complaint about the Mother series, it is that the games offer little (no?) optional content in terms of side quests.

That said, there is tons of of small little easter eggs and text hidden thorough.

Earthbound has one optional side quest that I can remember. It's both hilarious and completely inconsequential.

Finding and returning the lost contact

noquarter

Wow, that is a great write up in the OP.

I'm returning to the party. Originally played the game when it first came out and immediately fell in love with it. Since that was my friends copy, when Best Buy had the game for $20 I picked up my own copy and played it again. Still liked everything about it. Let my brother play it and think it is the only JRPG he ever finished. The game is full of life, which is pretty impressive for when it was made.

The N3DS version is really faithful to the original, don't think there is anything different including the slowdown if there are too many enemies on the screen or nearby.

Think the thing I liked most about the game was that it made Ness a kid. He still has to call his Dad to see about money (you don't have to, the money is in the atm either way) and you report to him to save. Everytime he asks if you would like to take a break, a really clever way for Nintendo to fit in the don't play too long mentality while making it actually work to the story. If you don't call him and play for long stretches he can call you and ask if you want to take a break. I like that Ness will get homesick on his journey. It doesn't keep you from being able to get far, but during battle he will think of his family and not perform an action that turn. You just call your Mom and she encourages him to continue on. Just makes the characters feel like real people, even with all of the limitations back then. I also think this actually was a good way to make the player feel a part of the game if they put in their name, especially if you are only like 13 or 14 like I was when I played originally.

Also really like that each character in your party is known before they join. You learn about Paula by the folks in Twoson and Poo and Jeff you actually have to take to meet Ness, learning about them before they join. The cast isn't big, and Ness is the main character, but everyone else is still given a background and has a story.

Really glad you enjoyed the game and am happy Nintendo has brought it out again for people to play. N3DS is my preferred way to play the game now, and will probably end up playing it pretty often, especially since it is the only JRPG I've ever played through all the way more than once, going on my fifth play through. And yes, the stretch from Twoson to Happy Happy Village is really the hardest part to get though, only place that I fell you really do have to grind.

Oh, and I like that the games logic is followed pretty strictly, for instance if you keep the Franklin Badge on you after defeating Mr. Carpainter, Paula's lightning PSI power never hits anybody.

L Thammy

Earthbound has one optional side quest that I can remember. It's both hilarious and completely inconsequential.

Finding and returning the lost contact

Another one that I didn't know about for the longest time; there's a guy in one of the hospitals who left something in another hospital in another town. You have to search the drawer, which makes it one of two times in the entire game that there's something in a drawer. All you get out of it is a Magic Truffle. The funny thing is, the object you get is simply called the Insignificant Item. If you try to use it, the narrator just tells you that whatever it did was so insignificant that it's not even worth explaining (or something like that, I forget exactly).

It's not a quest per se, but there are also two one-pixel sesame seeds hidden in the Dusty Dunes Desert, and you can relay messages between them.

Neiteio

Oh, and I like that the games logic is followed pretty strictly, for instance if you keep the Franklin Badge on you after defeating Mr. Carpainter, Paula's lightning PSI power never hits anybody.
Wait, is this true?? I never removed the Franklin Badge from Ness, and it did seem like Paula never hit anyone with PK Thunder... although I think she hit every now and then.

Another one that I didn't know about for the longest time; there's a guy in one of the hospitals who left something in another hospital in another town. You have to search the drawer, which makes it one of two times in the entire game that there's something in a drawer. All you get out of it is a Magic Truffle. The funny thing is, the object you get is simply called the Insignificant Item. If you try to use it, the narrator just tells you that whatever it did was so insignificant that it's not even worth explaining (or something like that, I forget exactly).
I'm guessing the other item hidden in a drawer is the journal about the demon child in the three-walled house, right?

My favorite Miiverse shot that I took.

WVW69igR4zgun26Boc

lord of da hippies
THIS HIPPY

I posted this same screen on Miiverse asking if there's a way to get up there.

What's he doing up there?!

New theory: It's like the man in the black suit from Red Dead Redemption. It's God!

Fandangox

There's also the house at the coast, not a "Side-quest" but people make a challenge of buying it before ever visiting Twoson for the first time.

Neiteio

Honestly, I like the fact the game doesn't really have sidequests. I like the fact it's a JRPG that maintains its focus over a dense but digestible 30+ hours instead of the uneven filler-filled 200+ hours you see in other JRPGs. I like the singular effect EarthBound creates, both in the journey and the destination, the buildup and the ending it sticks so perfectly.

Crayolan

If Mother 3 has to be localized with Earthbound in the title for marketing reasons, I feel like "Earthbound: Mother (3)" would be the best name because the Mother title is much more crucial to the story in M3 than in Earthbound.

Earthbound Endings is what I expect they'll go with, but I don't think that works too well since Mother 3 doesn't really feel like a "conclusion" to Earthbound, it's its own story.

Hazmat

Wait, is this true?? I never removed the Franklin Badge from Ness, and it did seem like Paula never hit anyone with PK Thunder... although I think she hit every now and then.

It's not true. The Franklin badge deflects thunder attacks off of whoever holds it, but it doesn't affect Paula's casting of it. It's just kind of a crummy, unreliable attack.

If Mother 3 has to be localized with Earthbound in the title for marketing reasons, I feel like "Earthbound: Mother (3)" would be the best name because the Mother title is much more crucial to the story in M3 than in Earthbound.

Earthbound Endings is what I expect they'll go with, but I don't think that works too well since Mother 3 doesn't really feel like a "conclusion" to Earthbound, it's its own story.

To me, while Mother 3 is definitely it's own VERY satisfying story, it very much did feel like the end of the franchise.

Particularly the throwbacks in Chapter 8, as well as the credits.

Neiteio

It's not true. The Franklin badge deflects thunder attacks off of whoever holds it, but it doesn't affect Paula's casting of it. It's just kind of a crummy, unreliable attack.
Speaking of unreliable attacks, the thing that made Magicant go much more smoothly was realizing the Casey Bat has shit accuracy. When I switched to the Magicant Bat, it made a world of difference.

Actually, that's something I'd like to point out to new players: If your weapon isn't hitting consistently, it probably has poor accuracy. Might be stronger than another weapon, but it'll hit less often!

Mother 1 to me is the most organic mother game of the bunch. They've released a guide book of sorts in Japan with details on the different towns and real life pictures of places in America that inspired their designs. It feels like Mother 1's world is more realistic (save Magicant) than in other Mother games.

The original famicom only ending is also pretty damn dark.

Neiteio

Mother 1 to me is the most organic mother game of the bunch. They've released a guide book of sorts in Japan with details on the different towns and real life pictures of places in America that inspired their designs. It feels like Mother 1's world is more realistic (save Magicant) than in other Mother games.

The original famicom only ending is also pretty damn dark.
Famicon-only ending? Did they change the ending for Beginnings?

Speaking of Mother 1, I love this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebu38NZ7q0U

Neiteio

And now I'm thinking of mechanics, and I realized there is one move I still don't quite understand: Poo's Mirror.

Like, uh... What's the right way to use it?

Speaking of Mother 1, I love this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebu38NZ7q0U

Yup. The NES localization added a few things. That ending was one of them. They also changed the tunnel out of magicant around (for the worst IMHO). And added the run button.

I think it also added the map... I'm not 100% on that one.

And now I'm thinking of mechanics, and I realized there is one move I still don't quite understand: Poo's Mirror.

Like, uh... What's the right way to use it?

I've been playing this game for 21 (wtf....?) years. I've never figured that out.

Fandangox

Poo's Mirror is pretty useless.

Also Thunder has more accuracy the more enemies are. So its a move you use when there's 3-5 enemies instead of one.

The original ending was in the famicom version, which was changed for the unreleased NES localization. The GBA port retained the altered ending.

I seem to be remembering the ending wrong though, it seems that the game just ends after the final fight. I was certain that it was heavily implied that some characters were never seen again after the defeat of the final boss.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

L Thammy

My understanding of the Mother -> EarthBound Beginnings ending changes is that the latter just added some additional scenes, which do brighten things up a little. But the original ending just cut off with Ninten turning towards the screen. I might be wrong too though, it's been a while.

EDIT: I think Hecatonchires Custom said the exact same thing I said, but my brain didn't register it as being the same thing for some reason.

jnWake

I really like seeing your screens and reading your commentary. Post more! :)

Actually I noticed I don't have that many more... But I'll share them anyway!

People say Porky is mean, but your mom takes completely unwarranted shots at him right at the beggining of the game!

This brings me to another very particular thing about the game: your relation with your family. Games very rarely touch on this subject but Earthbound goes deep with it. Being too long away from home makes Ness miss his mother so you have to call her. It's a bit strange that only Ness misses his home but I guess that, to some extent, he's suppossed to be the avatar character. You also have your dad, who's represented by a phone during the whole game... Even in the credits! Actually, when I first saw phone dad in the credits I felt a bit sad. Even tough my father has been with me my whole life, I can relate with Ness a bit since my dad worked far from home when I was a teenager so the phone was a big part of our relationship back then. Funny how a silly game like this one can touch personal subjects sometimes...

Another instance of the game being self aware! Not long after this the cops will want to kick your butt... It's actually a pretty hard boss battle for newcomers.

A classic moment... Jeff and the Sky Runner is one of my favourite parts of the game. From Jeff's gay friend to riding Tessie, it has a lot of memorable moments and music.

Jeff's dad is also kind of a dick. He does help you though...

This is actually one of the last screenshots I took. I never could figure out what triggered that message haha. There's clearly no one on the street!

For some reason I didn't take many screenshots after this. Ah well, whenever I replay it again I'm sure I will.

Neiteio

Looking up Poo's Mirror ability on Mother wikis, it allegedly works only on certain enemies (although it doesn't say which) and it has a very low success rate. When it works, you have access to that enemy's moves. It's a move of last resort, allowing you to use an enemy's PSI moves even when you're out of PP.

My favorite is fallin in love

but what sold me on it was a more orchestrated version version that I first heard when someone made a tribute thing on youtube called 20 years of mother or something to that effect that no longer exists This is the remade version
Yeah, the "remade version" you mention is on the official vocal track, which I've been listening to pretty much nonstop. :)

jnWake

Holy shit, that last one

I seriously don't know if I can hold out for a localization announcement at E3

EDIT: I'm peeking at screens of Mother 3 on Google Images. It looks like there's a bestiary for the enemies this time?

There is some sort of Bestiary in the game. It's pretty cool IIRC.

Batty Twist is not really that good of a theme, but its definitely the one I will remember the most, the first time playing this and when I first heard it I laughed out loud thinking "wow they really did it lol"

These are the stuff though

I have always wondered if Etude for Ghosts is an original song or based on classical music. It's so good either way.

Top Bottom