• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP FFVIII: The Aesthetic Fore-bearer to FFXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm somewhat of a latecomer to the FF Fandom. I played FFX around the time it came out, but truth be told I never completely beat it (I'm stuck on Jecht's Final Aeon on the PS3/PSV version and only up to Kilika in the PS4 one). Other FF met a similar fate; I made it to the final dungeons of FFXII, XIII, and IX only to peter out, and with VI I only made it as far as the World of Ruin.In fact, the first and so far only FF I've beaten is FFVII, which I started and completed in about a two week frenzy of excitement immediately following its remake's announcement last June. Despite my lack of nostalgia (I was only 5 when it came out originally), I was really impressed with the game, primarily its strong characterizations (Materia junctioning was pretty neat too)

It's with that background I've begun playing FFVIII.

Wallpaper_Squall_01_1920x1080.jpg

I actually have played bits of FFVIII before over the years, as well as FFVII, through emulation, before finally purchasing both within recent years for the PSVita. My introduction to FFVIII was rather inauspicious, through Spoony's lengthy teardown of the game. But as I read up on it, mainly through wiki and through friends who've played it, it always sounded fascinating to me, even if the plot goes pear-shaped down the line. Most of that is due to...

SETTING
galbadia_intelligence_directorate_world_factbook_by_ms_06f-d5u4x2v.png

(Fanmade map: http://ms-06f.deviantart.com/art/Galbadia-Intelligence-Directorate-World-Factbook-352948855 ; some deviations from canon)

This may be a bit pedantic, but one of the weakest elements (to me) of FFVII was its worldbuilding. Midgar, off course, is this fantastically realized Dieselpunk setting, but ass soon as you leave it the first village you encounter is Kalm, a quaint pastoral mining town. And this is true for most of the world map; once you leave Midgar or Junon (and perhaps Costa del Sol), all the villages you run into are small and pre-industrial. There's really no need for such massive exploitation of Mako because so much of the world are small farming or mining towns that wouldn't have been out of place in an earlier Final Fantasy.

And obviously there's a reason for this; this was the first 3D FF after all. There's a 'throw everything against the wall and see what sticks' mentality, especially in creating 3D models. There is obviously an undeniable charm of fighting an evil robot house, but the end result is a rather haphazard setting

vinzer-deling.jpg

Now, I'm not going to claim that FFVIII has the most grounded setting, but there's a certain relatability, to both its geopolitics and society, that makes it the most 'realistic' of FFs (up until XV at least). There's something familiar about a military dictatorship (which ostensibly styles itself as a Republic) oppressing its neighbors while locked in a cold war with an foriegn power it treats as an existential threat. Child soldiers are still a somewhat silly concept (more on that in Characters), and the ultimate reason for why SeeD exists is dumb, but the factions as first appear make sense within the world the game has crafted. There's a much greater sense of cohesion here.

But even more impressive is how it tries to create a society that is familiar to ours. Certain aesthetics on things like buildings and vehicles veer towards the weird and overdesigned, but how people are presented living their lives and just, well, being people, goes a long way toward making FFVIII feel like a fully realized world.

CHARACTERS

2EAAg.jpg

Unfortunately, this is an area where FFVIII clearly lags behind VII. Whereas VII more than makes up for its haphazard setting with compelling characters, VIII in contrast centers around characters who feel comparatively less colorful and flat, at least so far. I understand what they are going with in Squall, especially contrasting his apathy and precociousness with Seifer's romanticism. But apathy is a poor substitute for Cloud's boastfulness, and create's a barrier that keeps the player for really feeling for him, even as he displays questions about what he's actually fighting/living for.

wNAzaiy.jpg

The rest of the cast so far has felt similarly undercooked. Quistis seems to be the Team Mom, a proto-Lulu of sorts in terms of a relatively young woman being placed into a position of authority. But where as Lulu's pressures are handled pretty subtly, Quistis's anxieties border on incompetence. At the point I am just at in the game, Quistis mid-mission decides to abandon her post to go apologize to Rinoa; which is flagrantly petty and unprofessional. Rinoa herself obviously seems to be a proto-Yuna (with maybe a little Tifa perhaps?), though I haven't gotten a good feel for her yet to be completely honest. Zell and Selphie have yet to rise above being an irritating spaz and klutz, respectively, and I find it doubtful that they ever will.

The point overall is there's a certain flatness so far to how the characters feel, especially in regards to FFVII. I think at least some of that has to do with...

WRITING

I heard that, following complaints about FFVII 'liberal' translation, FFVIII was the first FF where the localizers had access to the plot and characters while the game was in development. I don't know if this is true or not, but there is a definite difference in the tone of much of the dialogue. Not to oversell it, but there is definitely a more restrained feel to a lot of it. Not to say there still aren't plenty of silly moments, but overall there is less of a comic vibe to the proceedings.

Unfortunately, the lack of color does not come with a corresponding increasing in depth, or at least enough to compensate. There feels like there's overreach going on; that the creators want a more serious, grounded (can't really comment on the time shenanigans yet) narrative but don't know exactly how to go about it. There is a sense of a lot of ambition here that they are falling a bit short of, which is a shame, but obviously each game created is a learning process. I think it stands out to me though because it encapsulates a lot of my anxieties about FFXV; will Tabata and his fellow creative directors have the narrative and character writing chops to realize the realistic setting they're trying to create? That's an open question as far as I'm concerned.

And... finally...

DRAWINGGAMEPLAY

latest

It's alright. I mean, that's how I felt about FFVII as well. Drawing is a little tedious, but the flipside people don't often talk about is that it eliminates the need for level grinding. I think it's a less elegant system than Materia Junctioning, but it's an interesting system it's own right. I'd be interested in feedback into how best manage my GF and Magic, as it's somewhat overwhelming. But the actual combat is completely acceptable, if slightly thoughtless. Compared to the long slog of grinding I'm facing down to complete Persona 3 though, the snappiness of encounters and short length of dungeons is rather appealing to me. So again, it strikes me as just fine, if unexceptional.

CONCLUSION

ncmemories_by_naughtyboy83-d4htye9.jpg

All in all, I'm somewhat less impressed by VIII than VII or IX. It lacks the strong characters that made those two games so memorable. But the setting, and snappy clip the narrative is going at combined with relatively minimal grinding, has kept me engaged with the game in a way that I feel compelled to keep playing, even if I know on some level the plot payoffs will probably be somewhat underwhelming. I still hold out hope that there might be more depth to the characters than generally acknowledged, but the hokey nature of some of the plot twists later on that I've been aware of dampen my confidence. Still, I've enjoyed the ride well enough so far, so I hope to beat it before XV releases, so I might compare it with this early stab at 'Fantasy based on Reality'.

The best FF.
Where the character customization is insane and limit breaks are raining from the sky.

Lionheart and lvl 100 disc 1 baby

Also drawing non required.

Also best card game in the series.

Beth Cyra

A good write up OP.

The one element I strongly disagree with is Squall.

Given the overall character arc I feel if they presented him any more lively it wouldn't have made sense and his apathy/overall rude nature really jives with his
Abandonment issues that has crippled him as a person
but that's just me.

Glad you didn't hate it at the very least and I'm with you on the world building.

BibiMaghoo

Probably my second favorite FF. I totally understand why so many people hate it, but think it relatively minor in issues personally. Drawing was a strange way to gather magic because it could be so abused and encourage grinding, but really it was left to the player if they did this or not. I preferred the cast and setting to later games.

The best FF.
Where the character customization is insane and limit breaks are raining from the sky.

Too bad any character can be anything, making customization a matter of which models and random text prompts you want to look at once you're allowed to choose a party. GFs get old quick and the benefits of the junction system mean the magic system is completely useless in comparison.

Limit breaks only happen when a character is low in health and you only changed weapons a few times with a great deal of effort.

Card game is GOAT. Also has most of the comfiest parts of the entire series.

One of my absolute favorite games! I don't care that the systems can be gamed. Beautiful story with beautiful music and art direction.

saher

Banned
I only finished this game once, everytime i try to play it now i remember magic drawing and i i'll be like " nope ..." .

Fun fact : In FFXV you can also draw magic from locations just like in FFVIII .

A good write up OP.

The one element I strongly disagree with is Squall.

Given the overall character arc I feel if they presented him any more lively it wouldn't have made sense and his apathy/overall rude nature really jives with his
Abandonment issues that has crippled him as a person
but that's just me.

Glad you didn't hate it at the very least and I'm with you on the world building.

I mean, I didn't want to imply that I hate Squall. If anything I'm on the fence about him; there are certainly elements of him that are interesting, his morally gray outlook on the world for one. But I think his anti-socialness makes him difficult so far in the game to really form a meaningful connection with him. Maybe that'll change at some point, but it's just how I've viewed him so far.

dickroach

I replayed FF7, 8, and 9 in the past few months on Steam, and I think FF8 holds up the best. I think FF7 has the best characters/story, and is probably the most memorable. but if I had to play just one of those three it'd be 8.

also, fuck the Steam achievements. beat the game at base level AND level 100. kill 10000 enemies. reach level 100 with your chocobo. ew.

theofficefan99

I only finished this game once, everytime i try to play it now i remember magic drawing and i i'll be like " nope ..." .

Drawing is annoying but you can make it less annoying (IIRC some summons can improve your drawing ability), plus you can do Triple Triad instead IIRC, and honestly the drawing is worth it when you junction whatever magic you just drew to a stat and that stat skyrockets.

Blobbers

3 step program to having a fun FF8 playthrough

1. get the card mods
2. play the shit out of triple triad
3. annihilate l.i.t.e.r.a.l.l.y everything with low health irvine,

Fun fact : In FFXV you can also draw magic from the locations just like in FFVIII .

Magic Drawing really isn't that bad. You get between 1 and 9 spells each draw; so you only have to draw on average 20 times to fill up a junction slot. It's no more tedious than level grinding imo.

I love FF8 and I love how FF15 seems to be taking alot of cues from it. Too bad the battle system pretty much ruined that game for me, hopefully that doesn't happen again with FF15.

Stuart444

The best FF.

First post is best post here.

Seriously, my favourite FF <3.

Can't say I agree with everything in the op but overall it's a nice write up. Glad you enjoyed it enough though.

Beth Cyra

I mean, I didn't want to imply that I hate Squall. If anything I'm on the fence about him; there are certainly elements of him that are interesting, his morally gray outlook on the world for one. But I think his anti-socialness makes him difficult so far in the game to really form a meaningful connection with him. Maybe that'll change at some point, but it's just how I've viewed him so far.
It's a fair point to be sure.

For many the make or break on really liking Squall comes mid disk two when you get his back story and how much you believe/accept his emotional response to it all.

Hard to talk about mid play through. I hope you post some more just to hear your thoughts as you advance through the story line.

Any consensus tips on Drawing and Junctioning? I intend to mostly critical path it like I did with FFVII, though I have gotten some optional GFs like Diablos and Brothers.

My understanding is also to grind as little as possible (beyond drawing spells) because enemies scale up with you.

Stuart444

Any consensus tips on Drawing and Junctioning? I intend to mostly critical path it like I did with FFVII, though I have gotten some optional GFs like Diablos and Brothers.

Did you not draw Siren from the boss in Dollet?

I do think you can draw GFs you miss near the end of the game (I think in the final dungeon maybe?) so you do get second chances with optional GFs I believe.

Beth Cyra

If you want to break the game and make it easy?

Learn No Encounterrors from Diablo. Stops you from leveling.

Learn Card Refine from QueZ and play some Triple and refine some high strength magic like Quake/Metter.

Kill Squall.

Res Squall with a Phoenix down. Then press circle with Ifirt Junctioned for Strength % and unload relentlessly with Renzokuken and coast till final credits.

butman

The best 3D modeled FF by far.

I ve waited 80 years for a new FF with VIII aesthetics. XV can't come soon enough.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
FVIII is the GOAT card game, but i really question the wisdom of bundling it with a mediocre RPG.

UrbanRats

IX is better in almost every way in my opinion, but this just has too much nostalgic pull over me.
And i like the modern setting more than the medieval one.

One of the few JRPGs that i played and enjoyed in my life, actually.

HeeHo

I wish I would've given this game a better shot when it first came out. Coming off of VI and VII, I don't really know what I expected...

I guess its major downfall to me at the time was that it wasn't FFVII-2.

However, what really killed my experience with this game was that I had just gotten a Gameshark for my PS1 and I was going code crazy. I pretty much played through all of VIII and FFT using cheat codes. I redeemed myself with FFT later but I have never actually given this a legit playthrough,

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Easily the best FF to date, just by the intro alone I knew it was gonna be special and by the end of it I vowed to buy every FF.
Sadly Square didn't deliver another like it.

Randomizer

FFVIII is the forebear of FFX and FFXIII too, aesthetically and otherwise. I always saw it as the start of the decline of the series and the first were certain keys members of the FF team had too much influence.

Thankfully we still had other teams back then, working on the classics FFIX and FFXII. I had been really hoping that there was a second team working on FFXVI with Ito at the helm. But it's been so long now I feel that it is very unlikely. :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I disagree with your dismissal of FFVII's world building, though I think that's a reasonable opinion and indeed, VIII could be seen as a more cohesive whole by contrast.

The idea of FFVII is that it's this classic jRPG world, that's only recently been introduced to corporate military-industrialism. The world is mostly made up of traditional villages that would look right at home in Final Fantasy I-V, but modernism has recently come crashing down on top of it. A melancholy sadness pervades these traditional settings, and you get the sense that they are not long for this world.

So thematically, based on what FFVII is (the mid point between classic fantasy jRPG and modern/future jRPG), it's an appropriate milieu. If the whole world had been industrialized, the contrast between old and new wouldn't be made clear.

Despite this digression, I do agree with your main point. The world of VIII seems cohesive. I liked how it had remnants of decayed civilizations (Dollet) with depreciated technologies (satellite). And even further back, remnants of still more ancient societies in the form of decayed temples. I really felt the world implied a realistic timeline.

Also OP, I would have waited to complete the game before writing this up. Only then will you get the full understanding of every character. I think you jumped the gun here passing judgement.

Terrorblot

FFVIII would have been the best Final Fantasy if it didn't have that dumb level scaling and it's plot hadn't fallen apart in the third act. It deserves it's criticism but I really think it's a bit of a diamond in the rough. The aesthetic really gelled with me and hell, I'll say it, I liked Squall.

FFVIII is the best game in the series that sets out to tell a tale with nuance and difficult to answer questions but remembers it also has to be a video game and kind of just gives up on this after the second disc.

It's still my favorite in the series and an extremely formative game for me.

Synless

Easily one of my favorite Final Fantasy games. I put countless hours into this as well as playthroughs.

artsi

It's the best FF for me.

You might have known it already, but regarding the title, XV has the same art director as VIII (Yusuke Naora) :p
Of course Nomura also worked with both games.

My most played FF game when I was younger but I have never managed to fully replay it in 15 years.

Maybe I should give the steam version a go before FF15.

Aters

I didn't know people hate FFVIII before I became a member of GAF. It's not as good as VII or IX IMO, but I think it's a highly enjoyable game. Had a lot of fun with it.

If someone asked me which game's world you would like to live in... my answer would be FFVIII.

The world and the setting plus the music, such a perfect atmospheric compensation.

It might not be my favorite FF game... not even the 2nd favorite, but it's definitely hold the warmest spot in my gamer heart :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
FFVIII is the forebear of FFX and FFXIII too, aesthetically and otherwise. I always saw it as the start of the decline of the series and the first were certain keys members of the FF team had too much influence.

Thankfully we still had other teams back then, working on the classics FFIX and FFXII. I had been really hoping that there was a second team working on FFXVI with Ito at the helm. But it's been so long now I feel that it is very unlikely. :(
It's weird as both of those I never finished, I'd say IX was the last of it kind and the start of the decline and X brought it back to only go down again with XII and since then it's been down hill.
Its not that they was bad they just wasn't VII and VIII or X even though X had it problems.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I loved the grounded nature of the character design. They're wearing clothes that are more or less realistic. Squall's belts are maybe a bit much, but who's to say it couldn't be a fashion trend in a fantasy land. Zell struck me as a bit outlandish, but if he's a teenage punk in a fantasy world...? It's not so crazy.

By contrast, I really didn't take to FFX's character design a few years later. Lulu's belt skirt seemed impossible. And I don't see how Tidus' asymmetrical pants would appeal as either a sports uniform or casual wear.

I disagree with your dismissal of FFVII's world building, though I think that's a reasonable opinion and indeed, VIII could be seen as a more cohesive whole by contrast.

The idea of FFVII is that it's this classic jRPG world, that's only recently been introduced to corporate military-industrialism. The world is mostly made up of traditional villages that would look right at home in Final Fantasy I-V, but modernism has recently come crashing down on top of it. A melancholy sadness pervades these traditional settings, and you get the sense that they are not long for this world

So thematically, based on what FFVII is (the mid point between classic fantasy jRPG and modern/future jRPG), it's an appropriate milieu. If the whole world had been industrialized, the contrast between old and new wouldn't be made clear.

The only problem is Shinra has been around for a loooong time, at least decades by the start of the game; long enough for Vincent to have been entombed for thirty years and for the villages that were once the Midgar sectors names to be forgotten. Mako power has been around for a while, yet so much of the world is underdeveloped. And it's in a very generic fantasy way that FF games kind of hadn't been for some time; VI for example had a very strong early Industrial revolution overtones to everything.

I mean I'm not gonna crucify FFVII for it, I just don't think nearly as much thought went into the overall scope of FFVII's world as went into FFVIII's (or IX and X's, for that matter).

Also OP, I would have waited to complete the game before writing this up. Only then will you get the full understanding of every character. I think you jumped the gun here passing judgement.

A lot of people post LTTP as they start out. I'll be posting thoughts here as I play through the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom