• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario 3D World - Or, why it's vastly superior over Galaxy 2 in every way

WARNING: LONG-ASS POST

Prior to playing both games, I thought Galaxy 2 and 3D World were completely different beasts. However, after having played both more or less back-to-back (only a few weeks in between both) this year, I've come to the conclusion that 3D World's concepts and execution are not only incredibly similar if not identical to Galaxy 2's, but they're also simply far better in 3D World.

First I want to take a moment to talk about why I'm talking about Galaxy 2 only and not 1. Galaxy 2 changed the formula of Galaxy 1 considerably, opting for more "straight up platforming" than Galaxy 1 did. In essence, I think this is part of Nintendo's gradual transition from the Mario 64 style of 3D platforming to what ended up being Mario 3D World's, which is basically "2D Mario but in 3D". You see, Mario 64 started very different from the typical 2D Mario formula because making a game in 3D was that much different. Mario Sunshine introduced the concept of very linear levels with platforms floating on an empty abstract world where the objective was to get to the goal via mastering Mario's acrobatic movement. Mario Galaxy made its game very much around these abstract levels, but it still retained much of the "classic" 3D Mario tropes. It included an elaborate stage select hub not far removed from Peach's Castle or Delfino Plaza (although very much simplified), players had a very wide variety of Galaxies to choose from at any time, the Galaxies themselves were "bigger" in that many of them had many stars to them and involved revisiting older areas to get to the new stars, there was a considerable story element to it (continuing the trend that started with Mario Sunshine), and Mario's movement was still very very similar to the 3D Mario scheme.

Galaxy 2 in my opinion was the first real transition to move into the "2D Mario but in 3D" space, a move that was finalized in Mario 3D Land, but perfected in 3D World. Galaxy 2 removed the stage select hub, made its stage select screen reminiscent of more "classic 2D" menus, and the vast majority of stages were one-offs that were far more linear in nature. Very noticeably they moved away from the Galaxy 1 stage concept, where Mario jumps between many planetoids in a vast space, to what we got in Galaxy 2, where all the platforms were arranged from Point A to Point B and then you move on to the next Galaxy. (I'm not including the Green Star challenges in this discussion, since they're more or less "side content". Levels were not designed from the ground-up around these green stars)

So why is Mario 3D World so superior to Galaxy 2 in my perspective? There's several major reasons:

World Design

Playing through Mario 3D World made the flaws of Galaxy 2 more apparent. First off, and most importantly, is the fact that the world design felt far more polished, and the designers felt a lot more sure of themselves as to what they wanted the game to be. 3D World felt like Nintendo's deliberate move to transition Mario into "2D Mario but in 3D", whereas Galaxy 2 felt more wishy-washy. There were very pointed moves in this direction, not the least of which was the inclusion of visual elements that used to be found exclusively in the 2D games, such as using the flagpole at the end of a stage, slot machine bonus rounds, Toad houses, etc. The level design felt far more deliberate to imitate the 2D design by relying a lot more on the use of speed and momentum and maneuvering through tricky obstacles instead of the much slower handwave-y design of Mario Galaxy 2. Enemies, for instance, were kind of "paintbrushed" into the levels in both Galaxy games, whereas many enemies in 3D World were designed specifically to blend into the levels as obstacles.

640px-Rosalina_SM3DW.png

Let's take the Octoombas in both Galaxy 2 and Mario 3D world and compare how they were used. In Galaxy 2 they wander aimlessly horizontally and shoot a single rock in Mario's direction, and can be easily dispatched with a star bit or a jump on the head. In Mario 3D World they're featured in the Super Galaxy level where they're completely static, meaning each time they were placed they were put there deliberately by the devs. Their projectiles aren't curved, but rather straight, and you can jump on top of them to get rid of them. Multiple Octoombas are placed in deliberate locations in Super Galaxy's rotating platforms so that they're not just a random enemy to be dispatched, they're clear and deliberate moves to limit the player's mobility. They're even used to prevent the player from getting one of the stars, since the Octoombas can destroy the brick block that makes getting that star possible if the player simply skips over them. They're also placed in front of the player facing backward, meaning the player is forced to jump to avoid the projectiles, which puts them at much higher risk of falling over than they otherwise would when the platforms rotate. Finally, they can only be dispatched via ground pound, which halts the player's movement that is very important in this particular level. This right here is a vital difference in how enemies are used. In Galaxy 2 they're simple mooks that are little more than level filler. In Mario 3D World they're brilliant obstacles that blend extremely well into the level design itself. This is just one example, there are many many more across all the levels and all the enemies.

Movement

Movement in Mario 3D World was altered heavily from Galaxy 2, in such a way that makes many of the levels in 3DW even possible to complete. First off is the use of a run button and the concept of momentum, which causes the player to go faster if they dash in a particular direction for a short amount of time. This in addition to the 8-directional movement as opposed to 360-degree movement seen in all Mario games until 3D Land makes the game's movement precise. Play 20 minutes of 3D World and 20 minutes of Mario Galaxy 2 back to back to really see this. The Galaxy series' movement is far floatier, slower, and less "acrobatic" (for the lack of a better word). Level designers can now easily throw in small and narrow obstacles next to wide and fast-moving rotating logs or platforms, or the infamous rotating Ice Cube from World 8 without batting an eye. They can throw in a lone boost block that requires the player to jump in a 90 degree angle toward a different direction because this new movement allows the player to turn on a dime. They can put rolling spike logs into see-saw platforms because they know the player can alter his/jump trajectory far more reliably than they ever could with Galaxy 2. This translates into far more inventive, elaborate, and just downright fun levels in 3D World. Sure the move count was smaller in number, but the movement itself was vastly improved and allowed for much better levels that went beyond simple floating platforms moving around like they were in Galaxy 2.

Power-Ups

Because the movement is far more precise this time around, power-ups were included to actually be useful across levels beyond being simple level gimmicks. Nintendo was far more confident to make projectile-based power-ups permanent since Mario & co. can actually aim fireballs and boomerangs in the desired direction far faster and more reliably. They also introduced the Cat Powerup, which allows wall climbing and attack-floating in such a way that it vastly improves the player's movement options. I can't tell you how many times I barely saved my skin from falling out of the stage with a few well-timed jumps and some quick wall climbing. These kinds of "barely-made-it" saves put some really good "spice" into the gameplay and is very reminiscent of 2D Mario. On the other hand, these kinds of "saves" are very rare, if not impossible" in the Galaxy games simply because the movement was that unsophisticated. Many of the power-ups in Galaxy 2 were simple in nature and very limited. Fire Mario was under a strict time limit (and very annoying music might I add), Boo Mario was extremely slow and only used in very few level gimmicks, Cloud Mario's movement advanage was also severely limited based on how powerful it was, and the less said about Spring Mario the better.

In short, 3D World's power-ups were so well designed you could complete all levels with them, and in nearly all cases they afforded the player multiple advantages in their own ways, whether it's easier dispatching of enemies (which, remember, they're far more significant to the level design in 3DW than in Galaxy 2, so that's important) or more creative use of movement. At the same time, Nintendo didn't rely on them so much that they made levels impossible to complete without them (at least the vast majority of the time), whereas if you have a Boo Mario powerup in Galaxy 2 the entire level segment was designed around Boo Mario, there's no variation in how you complete those levels. Giving players that choice and providing a different level completion experience based on what power-up they have or don't have makes the gameplay that much richer in 3DW.

"Story"

Mario Sunshine started an odd trend in giving a plotline to mainline Mario games. It was filled with cutscenes, dialog, and even (unfortunately godawful) voice acting. Mario Galaxy did tone it down, but there was a clear story line, including a lengthy backstory of their new character Rosalina. Galaxy 2 kind of got rid of the story, but in my opinion, and especially so after playing 3DW, this was half-assed. Galaxy 2, despite having a minimalistic story, was still stupidly verbose for no reason. Many friendly characters you came across during levels still stopped you dead in your tracks to talk some inane chatter to you. You still had to stop and read "THANK YOU!" or "OMG PLS HELP" whenever you came across a luma or Captain Toad. Lubba still told you some pointless thing whenever you beat nearly every non-green star in the game. "OMG NEW CHARACTER IN THE SHIP!!" "OMG WE'RE THAT MUCH CLOSER TO SAVING YOUR 'LOVED ONE'!!" "OMG LET ME TAKE YOU TO THE MUSHROOM ROOM BECAUSE YOU ENCOUNTERED A NEW MUSHROOM AND LET ME SAY POINTLESS SHIT" "OMG YOU GOT TO A NEW WORLD LET ME REITERATE HOW MUCH CLOSER YOU ARE TO SAVING YOUR 'LOVED ONE'!!!!" Too many interruptions and too much dialog that went absolutely nowhere.

Mario 3D World is a giant breath of fresh air in that regard. The game isn't "no story while still talking for no reason", the game is outright silent. The few "cutscenes" are of characters pantomiming quick little expressions while the game speeds along to the next level. There's no stupid chatter from Lubba or some other lame sidekick when you beat any level. Even Captain Toad who appears in random stages has no dialog, just a neat little animation or two as you figure out what to do to save him. Not only is it faster and more to the point, it's also more charming. It's more charming seeing Bowser with his smug-ass face capturing fairies in a pantomime rather than hearing his 10,000th generic declaration that he'll "crush Mario!!!" It speeds up the game, gives it more charm, and cuts needless filler. I still did like the story in Galaxy 1, but that's because they actually wrote a story. In Galaxy 2 they made the deliberate effort to NOT have a story, but at the same time they still interrupted you with inane dialog. Mario 3D World's treatment of a minimalist story is objectively better than Galaxy 2's.

World Map

This one is relatively minor, but I think it's yet another very obvious reason why 3DW does what Galaxy 2 tried to do much better. Galaxy 2, as I mentioned before, tried to have a "classic" world map, but it was very bare bones and uninspired in my opinion. Despite having a world map, it was strictly moving from left to right. It simply had icons floating on an empty space with a background thrown in the back. 3DW's world map, on the other hand, had full 3D geometry complete with coin boxes you could hit, peppered with little toad and stamp houses, slot machine houses that popped up every now and then, it even housed a few secrets with invisible warp pipes, etc. It provided a lot more of a visual treat and made traversing the worlds more fun than simply picking floating icons from a menu. Just looking at a screenshot of the two you and you see how much more inspired and elaborate the World maps are. I think it's important because these maps are truly the "glue" that holds both games together.

---

So, in conclusion, I think Galaxy 2 was a necessary step for Nintendo to transition 3D Mario back into the formulas they developed for 2D Mario, but at the same time I think the fact that it was a sequel to Galaxy 1 gave it a lot of unnecessary baggage, some really bland and imprecise movement that severely limited how fun traversing the levels could be, made it far less skill-based and more gimmick-based, and provided players with ultimately less options to complete levels. Mario 3D World I think is the better game of the two because it took what Galaxy 2 wanted to be and actually perfecting that formula instead of half-assing the transition.

Wow, that was long. I doubt anyone will read it but there you go! Thoughts?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Good OP that should spawn some interesting discussion.

I disagree in some respects. I thought the simplicity of the Galaxy map was better and the powerups in Galaxy allowed for unique, individual play. Every time you got a powerup it felt special.

I'll just say this: regardless of how precisely the enemy or platform placement was in 3D World, it just didn't seem as fun. I had a smile on my face throughout the entirety of Galaxy 1 and 2. By the end of 3D World, I was bored out of my mind. it just felt uninspired or lifeless in a way that Galaxy 1 and 2 didn't.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Nice. Always love a good 3D World is better than Galaxt post. 3D World is always what I've wanted 3D Mario to be. 2D Mario in 3D with pure focused level design and gameplay. Galaxy has more spectacle. 3D World is the better platformer.

They're just different kinds of platformers, but in the standard of genre-defining 3D Marios, 3DWorld just felt underwhelming compared to the grandiose, show stopping nature of the 3D Marios before it. It has stop-gap game written all over it, albeit an extremely polished one.

WillyFive

I agree Mario 3D World did a better job of going for the "2D Mario in 3D" idea than Galaxy 2 did, which felt more like a watered down version of Galaxy 1 instead.

FryHole

As a fan of 3D World over the Galaxies and as a fan of absurdly wordy, over long yet ultimately coherent OPs, I say bravo. You are not wrong in either the generalities or the particulars.

Floridian

To me Galaxy 2 is the best 3D mario platformer & most polished but 3D world has tons more replayability thanks to seamless power ups & multiple characters supporting it along with actual multiplayer. Both fun games overall.

Timeaisis

I agree with most every point you made. I've re-played all three games (Galaxy 1, 2 and 3DW) in the last year, and still am convinced 3DW is the best of the three.

Very good post, OP. I agree. I do think that Galaxy 1's style still very much has a place, and I would put it above 3D World even though I loved it. For me it goes Galaxy 1 > 3D World > Galaxy 2.

Very good points though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if I completely agree that it's better than Galaxy 2 - I'd need to replay it - but for the most part I do agree with your points in favor of 3D World.

Movement might be the only exception, it's the one thing I feel 64 and Sunshine did better than Galaxy/2/3D World. I miss the variety of acrobatic moves Mario had at his disposal. I suppose the "digital" movement with 8 directions and a run button might be debatable though.

I cut straight to the controls portion of your post, still reading the rest, but I strongly disagree that the run button and 8-way control in 3D World is something to be lauded. Not only does it diminish the importance of the analog stick, a staple of 3D Mario games, but 2-tiered nature of the run button (where Mario sprints after a certain time after the button is held) offers less precision and leads to unnecessary hits and deaths.

Good OP that should spawn some interesting discussion.

I disagree in some respects. I thought the simplicity of the Galaxy map was better and the powerups in Galaxy allowed for unique, individual play. Every time you got a powerup it felt special.

I'll just say this: regardless of how precisely the enemy or platform placement was in 3D World, it just didn't seem as fun. I had a smile on my face throughout the entirety of Galaxy 1 and 2. By the end of 3D World, I was bored out of my mind. it just felt uninspired or lifeless in a way that Galaxy 1 and 2 didn't.

Galaxy 1 definitely has 3D World beat in terms of grandiose, show-stopping presentation. I wish I could've made some kind of comparison in that regard but I'm running low on time and the OP is long enough as it is :/

I do agree that the Galaxy power-ups feel more "special", but ultimately to me they feel less like power-ups and more like level gimmicks. They typically don't afford the player faster or more skillful mobility. They, in fact, typically make Mario slower or more limited in his movement in some way. In 3DW they definitely feel like power-up items that can be used to the player's advantage in many different ways in any one level.

I think ultimately it comes down to preference, whether you like them as special transformations or more along the lines of power-ups from the classic 2D Marios.

I cut straight to the controls portion of your post, still reading the rest, but I strongly disagree that the run button and 8-way control in 3D World is something to be lauded. Not only does it diminish the importance of the analog stick, a staple of 3D Mario games, but 2-tiered nature of the run button (where Mario sprints after a certain time after the button is held) offers less precision and leads to unnecessary hits and deaths.

Trust me, I very much objected to the 8-directional movement for the same reason you do (i.e., "why are we going backwards and ignoring the analog part of analog sticks?!") as well as the run button, but after I played through the game I realized that the precision both of these offer is integral to the inventiveness of the obstacles in the game. With a little bit of practice I was zipping by levels with Toad with far more precision, acrobatics, and speed than I ever did with wither Galaxy game. The simple fact that the player can turn on a dime as opposed to the annoying long curvy corners Mario's movement in Galaxy 1/2 has is one of the biggest reasons why I felt 3DW's movement ends up that much better in execution.

I have been replaying 3D World recently and it's tons of fun but I still believe that it's kind of a game that EAD Tokyo could make in their sleep.

Most of the ideas are ones they have done before and while the execution is basically flawless and there's tons of technique and polish in the gameplay, it just doesn't have that gamechanging hook that the Galaxy games had.

The Galaxy games felt "weird" for the series which is where EAD Tokyo is at their best, the kookiness.

However, 4 player simultaneous was clearly a focus for 3D World and they created a fantastic game around that idea and it didn't suffer much in singleplayer.

3D World is a culmination of their past cool ideas and it's a very well-made game but I'd give the nod to Galaxy for the gimmick which lent itself to more creative design and while 3D World's bosses are fun and fine, the Galaxy games trump it in that regard as well and fairly easily.

I'll still be standing in Galaxy 2's corner but there's some good points in the OP, actually the "story" one is very valid in that Galaxy 2 feels like it's interrupting far more than it should considering it has bugger all to actually say.
I still find 3D World to fall into this odd gap between the likes of say Galaxy 2 and NSMBU where it has bits of both but none of the true strengths from either. In the end I'll take the

Personally I like how most other 3D Mario games can use their powerups as an integral part of stage design and that Mario himself is interesting enough with his base athletic abilites to be fun to control in general, while 3D World has that classic power up style that lends variety as to how you can choose to approach a level it the loss of say a catsuit really stings with the loss of those extra tricks, it's touch going back to a more limited 3D Mario (or should I say Toad because when the heck am I ever using Mario?).

I do think that despite Galaxy 2 stepping into the 2D obstacle course style of design as the bridge towards what 3D Land and World would become I find it edges them out on the level design front by still having the greater freedom of expansive 3D structure which actually seems to arguably come from being strictly single player while the multiplayer of 3D World fun as it is takes some casualties with it like box corridor water stages.

Oh and Spring Mario is great dammit, if you're going to diss a galaxy 2 power up then the boo, bee or rock suits are better choices.

xandaca

I respect your opinion and the thought you've put into it, but the controls in 3D World are not precise, they're limited. The 8-directional movement is horrible and makes it that bit more needlessly difficult to line up exact jumps, even moreso with the camera causing perspective issues. For me the game has its merits, particularly in terms of variety, but the controls are far and away the worst of any 3D Mario game - and frankly, many non-Mario platformers - and the '2D Mario translated in 3D' thing makes it feel flavourless to me. The run button is nothing but a frustration in a 3D Mario game and the gimping of the long jump and camera control (already one of the Galaxy games' weak points) emblematic of a game which too often created obstacles by limiting the player rather than challenging them fairly. Despite all that complaining, I genuinely don't dislike it - Sunshine and the Lost Levels are the only Mario games I'd actually call bad - but was IMO a huge step backwards from the Galaxies, and playing 2 recently only reaffirmed that opinion.

Gsnap

I definitely agree about the powerups. The powerups in galaxy 1 and 2 are far too limited, or not even fun to use half the time. They allow for zero variation in approach. You must light this one thing on fire to progress. You must go through this exact wall with Boo Mario. Thinking about it this way, the Galaxy games are essentially the corridor shooters of Mario games.

Since powerups aren't required in 3D World, they allow for more variation and more fun overall.

I think this is very well laid out and I really need to replay both games before I respond, as I like them both and would need to brush up to give specifics, however; I will say that the ice skating in the galaxy games was tons of fun and I wish 3D world had done something more substantial with it.

Maggots

Banned
de308b98bf505bcf5417430e6498c350.jpg

BUT MARIO GALAXY 2 WAS THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME...

and 3D land is way better than 3D world in every way... except cats

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
3D World wasn't even as good as 3D Land. No one is fun to control in 3D World, and there aren't many acrobatic moves that you can do without full synchronization with your multiplayer partners. It's fun to just hop and bop around in the Galaxy games, but 3D World's movement is too limited.

fernoca

Agree. Granted, I loved the Galaxy games, but 3D World was the perfect Mario game, to me. Perfect mix of 2D and 3D, direct to the point and challenging enough.

Very good post, OP. I agree. I do think that Galaxy 1's style still very much has a place, and I would put it above 3D World even though I loved it. For me it goes Galaxy 1 > 3D World > Galaxy 2.

Very good points though.

I think Galaxy 1 still has a foot firmly planted in the older 3D Mario style of Mario 64 and Sunshine enough to differentiate itself. That and the newness of the gravity mechanics and tremendously explosive presentation really set it apart from 3DW as its own thing. To me after playing Galaxy 2 and 3DW back to back I just felt like Galaxy 2 was just 3DW version 0.5. It just feels like it tried to do what 3DW did but worse. I know it's kind of not fair to make that statement since SMG2 came first, but I guess the lengthy OP is just a way of saying I found that SMG2 didn't age well now that 3DW is around, whereas SMG1 is different enough that it does age better.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa....

... whoa.

Well I realized how wrong the title is when people started pointing out the presentation of the Galaxy games. :( SMG2's presentation and grandiose score I think are better than 3DW's so 3DW is IMO technically not better in every way, just nearly every way :p

EhoaVash

Controlling Mario in 3d world sucked ass. He was the weakest character in that game. If I didn't unlock rosalina, no way would I've been able to beat the special worlds.

Hate how low your jumps are in that game.

Vanille

Eh, Galaxy 2's world map wins due to the vastly superior music. And I found the surreal starscapes to be much more of a "visual treat" than 3D World's tired settings. Both pale in comparison to a proper 3D hub world, though.

And yeah, what everyone else said about the controls. Controlling Mario in 3D World feels clunky and regressive. I have a hard time understanding how you can prefer that over Galaxy's buttery smoothness.

MrBadger

I prefer Galaxy 2, but I had great fun with 3D World and I think the platforming is better in it.

Less? I think being able to control how fast you move with a button rather than the amount you tilt the analogue stick offers more precision.

Business

Very nice OP. I too think 3DWorld is the better game and I think you make good points on movement, story and map. Multiplayer is the final slam dunk for me.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I can't agree with this in any way.

I'm not even sure 3D World is better.

Better level design, more playable characters, more creative gameplay, it looks better, it has way better poweups, it's more challenging and the post game content was way better since you got new worlds instead of remixed ones. It shits all over 3D Land in every way.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Less? I think being able to control how fast you move with a button rather than the amount you tilt the analogue stick offers more precision.

Absolutley. I really don't get how people can find controlling Mario easier in the Galaxy games. There's definitely less precision in Galaxy and it just feels tighter in general in 3D World.

Wasp

I agree with OP.

Well actually I still haven't played Galaxy 2 despite owning it. But I have played Galaxy 1.

My biggest problem with Galaxy 1 is there's basically no collectibles. It's a platform game with no collectables. What the fuck were Nintendo thinking? I spent at least 40 hours on SM3DW but I was pretty much done with Galaxy after only 8 short hours (because fuck most of the Prankster Comet challenges).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Better level design, more playable characters, more creative gameplay, it looks better, it has way better poweups, it's more challenging and the post game content was way better since you got new worlds instead of remixed ones. It shits all over 3D Land in every way.

As somebody who 100%'d both games, literally the only thing I feel 3D Land did better was the final Bowser battle. 3D World's was kind of a let down in comparison.

Eh, Galaxy 2's world map wins due to the vastly superior music. And I found the surreal starscapes to be much more of a "visual treat" than 3D World's tired settings. Both pale in comparison to a proper 3D hub world, though.

And yeah, what everyone else said about the controls. Controlling Mario in 3D World feels clunky and regressive. I have a hard time understanding how you can prefer that over Galaxy's buttery smoothness.

Well, to reiterate:

Faster top movement, addition of momentum rather than running at the same speed all the time, turning hard angles on a dime (seriously, am I the only one who noticed this??), and basically "straight means straight". If I point in the right direction in 3DW I won't eventually fall off the stage because the corridor was 45 degrees and my movement is 48 degrees. This happened way too often in Galaxy 2 for my liking, which led to me constantly having to make "micro-corrections" on my movement all the time. Precise 8 directional movement also made projectile throwing far easier and actually viable. I can't tell you how many times I managed to miss my targets with Fire Mario in Galaxy 2 because my angle was juuuuust the slightest bit off.

I flat out even forgot the long jump was in the game for a good chunk of my playtime in 3DW. Most of the time I didn't even need it except when I needed that extra push to hit the tops of flagpoles. It's not anywhere near as useful as it was in the Galaxy games. Maybe if I had used long jumps far more in the Galaxy games I would've found the nerf more bothersome in 3DW? I dunno.

Zach

Nice OP. I've played a little bit of both and they're both fun. I'll defer to my 13-year-old who has played them both extensively, though: he agrees with you, OP. :D

No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, No.

Plus, while it's certainly novel and well-done, the last Bowser fight is easily better in 3D Land.

I can't speak for you but I suspect many favor 3D World because it's on a more powerful console and looks better.

FSLink

Banned

I think the 3D implementation was well done in 3D Land and I definitely missed it in 3D World. That's about the only thing I'd put above 3D World for.

MrBadger

Well, to reiterate:

Faster top movement, addition of momentum rather than running at the same speed all the time, turning hard angles on a dime (seriously, am I the only one who noticed this??), and basically "straight means straight". If I point in the right direction in 3DW I won't eventually fall off the stage because the corridor was 45 degrees and my movement is 48 degrees. This happened way too often in Galaxy 2 for my liking, which led to me constantly having to make "micro-corrections" on my movement all the time. Precise 8 directional movement also made projectile throwing far easier and actually viable. I can't tell you how many times I managed to miss my targets with Fire Mario in Galaxy 2 because my angle was juuuuust the slightest bit off.

I flat out even forgot the long jump was in the game for a good chunk of my playtime in 3DW. Most of the time I didn't even need it except when I needed that extra push to hit the tops of flagpoles.

Good post. Explains why I prefer the 3D World movement perfectly. On paper, 8 directional movement would seem less precise than full analogue movement, but in practice, it works much better by eliminating the angles you don't intend and never need to run in.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I agree with OP.

Well actually I still haven't played Galaxy 2 despite owning it. But I have played Galaxy 1.

My biggest problem with Galaxy 1 is there's basically no collectibles. It's a platform game with no collectables. What the fuck were Nintendo thinking? I spent at least 40 hours on SM3DW but I was pretty much done with Galaxy after only 8 short hours (because fuck most of the Prankster Comet challenges).

Well I definitely disagree with this. A platformer doesn't need to have collectibles. In fact in many platformers I've played they can detract from the experience. Adding random collectibles just for the sake of it is always a bad idea and Galaxy is fine without them. And by that token I think we can all agree the worst levels in Galaxy 1 were the purple coin challenges in wide open spaces?

Skilletor

No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, No.

Plus, while it's certainly novel and well-done, the last Bowser fight is easily better in 3D Land.

I can't speak for you but I suspect many favor 3D World because it's on a more powerful console and looks better.

I prefer it because it controls better (imo). I fucking HATE analog controls in platformers.

Also, awesome post, OP and I agree with you 100%.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think the 3D implementation was well done in 3D Land and I definitely missed it in 3D World. That's about the only thing I'd put above 3D World for.

I was waiting for this post. I HATED the 3D in 3D Land. It's distracting and doesn't do jack shit to help me know distances. I already can judge distances. I have eyes and I've been using them in platformers forever. The 3D effect is nothing but distracting, caused me to miss certain jumps and that's not even mentioning the fact that the effect goes out of whack with a light movement of the system or my head. Only when I turned the 3D off did I start to enjoy the game.

Skilletor

To me, they control similarly but I could see that.

No Mario games control poorly, they just have their little nuances here and there.

Well, that Game Boy Mario controls a little wonky.

3DLand isn't 8 directional. Which, as EatinOlives pointed out, is annoying when I want to run straight. Other people might have mastered the skill of holding an analog stick completely straight without moving for a period of time, but I haven't (and don't want to, and it is annoying as hell to me in a game that demands precision.

Top Bottom