• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario 3D World - Or, why it's vastly superior over Galaxy 2 in every way

leroidys

Definitely agree OP. I hate how powerups are just level gimmicks in galaxy, as you pointed out. At least in sunshine you could beat the levels with various FLUDD attachments, in galaxy it's just straight up NO YOU MUST USE SPRING MARIO TO SUCCEED every single time. The other mario games are much better at giving you space and tools to just play around and develop your own play style, while Galaxy 1 and 2 especially just force you onto a track.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
3D World brought back Charging Chuck.

That has to count for something, right?

Mael

Definitely agree OP. I hate how powerups are just level gimmicks in galaxy, as you pointed out. At least in sunshine you could beat the levels with various FLUDD attachments, in galaxy it's just straight up NO YOU MUST USE SPRING MARIO TO SUCCEED every single time. The other mario games are much better at giving you space and tools to just play around and develop your own play style, while Galaxy 1 and 2 especially just force you onto a track.

Actually there's a few places where the spring isn't mandatory, it just make things way easier.
Sunshine isn't that different, every time you are required to use a specific attachement, it's there not far and you can't really do the challenges without them.
But yeah 3DL/3DW are better in that regard BECAUSE at least you can keep the powerups and use it elsewhere.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow, this is one of the best opening posts Ive read on gaf ever. I think I agree on almost all the points, and definitely agree that 3D World is not only better, but very much better than Galaxy 2. In comparison to Galaxy 1 I think the comparison is harder, simply because the games are more different, but between Galaxy 2 and 3D World, there is just no competition imo. Great write-up!

Griss

A rarity on GAF: a really well-reasoned OP that I happen to disagree almost entirely with.

I certainly do agree with the opening paragraph, though - that Nintendo are moving 3D Mario towards the 2D Mario game design and level design paradigm and that Galaxy 2 was part of it. But in reality it started with Galaxy 1, where each star is a level with a defined beginning and end-point and little room to explore.

I'll go through my issues with 3D World later, I'm cooking lunch.

leroidys

Actually there's a few places where the spring isn't mandatory, it just make things way easier.
Sunshine isn't that different, every time you are required to use a specific attachement, it's there not far and you can't really do the challenges without them.
But yeah 3DL/3DW are better in that regard BECAUSE at least you can keep the powerups and use it elsewhere.

I dunno, there's lots of parts where the obvious intent is for you to use the rocket nozzle but you can make it with utilizing all of Marion different acrobatics in the environment, or where you're supposed to use the hover nozzle but can make it by expertly using the rocket.

The argument about which top-class Mario game is better rages on. =P

Galaxy 2 still remains as my favorite 3D Mario, but 3D World still sits as my 3rd fav after Galaxy 1. Though I'd really much rather enjoy than pick-and-choose.

I agree 3D World eloquently merged 2D and 3D better than the others. I do ultimately prefer 3D World's more unrestricted use of items, and its more free-roaming World Map. It's 8-way movement and run button wasn't an issue, but it's not what I'd prefer.

However, no Mario title has filled me with much whimsical platforming bliss like the Galaxies, particularly 2. I don't know, it felt more fluid to me. There emphasis on gravity, the surreal and "out-there", and there soundtracks (both are on equal terms, IMO) put it above the others, though I do think the jazz emphasis fits Mario better. Even though Galaxy 1's majesty was lovely, the sequel's whole shtick of being weirder and more playful in its concepts and worlds made it a more fun experience.

Maggots

Banned
3D Land sucked, dude. Well maybe not suck. But it wasn't great and 3D World shits all over it in every way.

I said except for cats!... :b

honestly ... and this is just my opinion... I liked 3D land better for level design and gameplay... and music. I 100% completed 3d land... 3D world... I stopped playing for one reason or another... (Got bored with it i guess... ) I didn't much like the camera in 3D world either... I thought it was better executed in Land. I did enjoy the cat powerup, and the cherries... but yeah.

I loved both games but objectively... I think 3D land is a better game.

But...
Galaxy 2 destroys 3D World.

This

SuperJay

In the Mario adventure games (64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1&2) I feel like Im immersed in a 3D space with full control of Mario and any mistakes are my own mistakes.

In the Mario 2D/3D Hybrid games (3DLand and 3DWorld) I feel like I'm pushing a little tinkertoy around a diorama with restricted controls, an obnoxious run mechanic, and a fixed angle camera system that I'm not allowed to adjust to get the necessary depth cues for proper 3D platforming.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
they're pretty similar in quality, to me, but gonna say I enjoyed Galaxy/2's complete craziness more

Top Bottom