• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm hired acting coach for Han Solo star's performance

People here are making their cases as to why a Han Solo movie shouldn't exist, but I'm still scratching my head as to why Boba Fett is still trying to be made a thing around here.

Boba-fucking-Fett.

Well at least he's kind of a blank slate. You can pretty much do whatever you want with him. That's much harder with Han Solo.

Meowster

People here are making their cases as to why a Han Solo movie shouldn't exist, but I'm still scratching my head as to why Boba Fett is still trying to be made a thing around here.

Boba-fucking-Fett.
he should be left in the belly of the Sarlacc Pit where the rest of the jokers belong

A Kasdan directed film likely wouldn't have been greenlit in the first place though.

Exactly.

So building a Kasdan-centric project where he is writer and producer, and likely always was the backup ghost director just in case, yet hiring two fairly established directors with their own style seems like a contradictory choice and a recipe for conflict.

Surfinn

Boba-fucking-Fett.
I think there would be a better argument had he not been treated like a clown in ROTJ

Vectorman

Banned
Man is old, I would be surprised if he knew how to use his DVD player without assistance.

This makes the idea that Kathleen Kennedy disliked the idea of Lord and Miller being the directors from the getgo or early on, but because Kasdan wanted them, she went along with it, being the professional that she is. But when Kasdan and the crew finally started whining to Momma Kennedy, she didn't hesitate when L&M resisted.

NEO0MJ

I think there would be a better argument had he not been treated like a clown in ROTJ

Perfect chance for a retcon. By the end of the series show him celebrating post-Solo delivery, high and drunk as fuck. That would explain his lackluster performance in ROTJ.

vordhosbn

Banned
Are you talking about Alden? He's one of the more promising young actors in the game right now. He didn't just fall off the Central Casting truck yesterday.

I don't even know what the Prometheus comment means either cause Logan Marshall Green is a spectacular actor too. Not sure who else in the cast you're referring to.

promising because variety told you so? rofl rofl and how can i take the prometheus bit seriously...guys a complete joke of an actor.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I still don't understand why Boba Fett is so popular among the fans. He's such a minor character.

I don't think Fett is anymore, really. That's more like a 90s thing that's just kept echoing around. It seems like a disconnect between the execs and the fandom.

At this point Fett's about as popular as Dash Rendar

kswiston

I still don't understand why Boba Fett is so popular among the fans. He's such a minor character.

He was a bounty hunter and had one of the cooler/distinct costumes and ships in the original trilogy. Most of us were little kids when we saw those films, so that was enough for him to be bad ass (regardless of what he actually did on screen). The expanded universe stuff took that interest and ran with it.

Vectorman

Banned
Lawrence Kasdan spotted at Heathrow airport: https://mobile.twitter.com/MakingStarWars/status/878758330256248834
My man looks pissed.

DDH6CwLUQAEUcfO.jpg:large

'I've seen shit that you young ones would never understand. Now excuse me while I try to save my child.' --- Kasdan

Man I would so love a in-depth documentary about this film than the damn film itself at this point.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
promising because variety told you so? rofl rofl and how can i take the prometheus bit seriously...guys a complete joke of an actor.

Uh no, because I've seen both actors in multiple projects...You're saying Logan Marshall Green is a joke of an actor? Based off that pseudo intellectual garbage Prometheus? He was sublime in The Invitation and Quarry so...nah. Calling you out on that one. No actor could've saved that mess.

Expand your watching beyond matinee throwaway nonsense and you might be surprised by what some of these actors are capable of when given good material.

TyrantII

There's been good sting of luck giving mega production to directors that proved their mettle in TV and smaller productions; but I did kinda scratch my head on this choice when they announced it.

Comedy is a very different beast than dramatic films. FFS Adam Sandler pumps out hugely profitable comedies like he's a pregnant rabbit, and only does so because they're dirt cheap to produce and easy to slap together.

Does anyone know a single person who is excited for a young Han Solo movie? I certainly don't. This was a terrible idea from the start

Pizza

Could even explain the difference in appearance.

Having lando and Han talking over each other and correcting one another would have made really good scenes where totally different things happen in the same scenario

Damn making it a frame story is too good of an idea for this earth

jett

D-Member
DDH6CwLUQAEUcfO.jpg:large

'I've seen shit that you young ones would never understand. Now excuse me while I try to save my child.' --- Kasdan

Man I would so love a in-depth documentary about this film than the damn film itself at this point.

I like how every time Kasdan's screenplay is mentioned in these reports, his son's involvement follows immediately. Just the slightest hint of nepotism.

Although you probably mean the movie itself. :p

firelogic

Obi-Wan is my favourite SW character and I would have zero interest in a spin-off. He's gotten to be in multiple films, TV shows and comics he's far more overexposed than Han Solo. Gimme new characters moving the story along, not "this is how Old Ben learned the krayt dragon call: the motion picture".

Sorry if I'm being a grumpy old man but I'm irked as heck

Same here. I'd rather they actually explored new characters and worlds within the Star Wars universe for the side movies. I don't see a point (beyond the obvious of making guaranteed money) by sticking with the tried and true characters even in the side projects. Explore a little and they may hit paydirt with something new that they can milk for the next 20 years.

There are some things in there that I was wondering about.

Some insiders say that while the talent of Lord and Miller is undeniable, nothing in their background prepared them for a movie of this size and scope. These sources say they relied too heavily on the improvisational style that served them so well in live-action comedy and animation but does not work on a set with hundreds of crewmembers waiting for direction.

“You have to make decisions much earlier than what they’re used to,” one of these sources say. “I don’t know if it’s because there were two of them but they were not decisive.” Production department heads began to complain. While the pair appeared to listen when told of festering problems, this person says their approach did not change.

But Lord and Miller were not prepared to have Kasdan become a shadow director. With an impasse reached, Kennedy finally pulled the trigger. The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause.

I said goddamn.

Z3M0G

I assume their hope was to have one Star Wars Universe movie release per year? This must be royally fucking their financial plans... Will they push out Episode 9 a full year if this gets delayed a year?

Edit: Wait, Ron Howard is the new director?

Tobor

Change it back.

Let's not pretend Star Wars is more than it is. The entire premise was a modern revival of the 1930's serials like Flash Gordon. Lucas only made Star Wars because he couldn't get the rights to Flash Gordon.

And what were those 1930's serials? They were tv shows before tv.

"How will Flash get out of this one, folks? Come to the theater next week and find out!"

Running Star Wars like Marvel(as a giant blockbuster serial) isn't only good business sense. It's respecting what Lucas was aiming for in the first place.

Let's not pretend Star Wars is more than it is. The entire premise was a modern revival of the 1930's serials like Flash Gordon. Lucas only made Star Wars because he couldn't get the rights to Flash Gordon.

"How will Flash get out of this one, folks? Come to the theater next week and find out!"

Running Star Wars like Marvel(as a giant blockbuster serial) isn't only good business sense. It's respecting what Lucas was aiming for in the first place.

This is good.

12 cameras sounds like an absolute nightmare to keep track of on set, honestly. There's giving yourself enough options to play around in the editing room, and having so many you're only distracting yourself from the fundamentals of the scenes in editing.

No one runs 12 cameras at a time on a set. Ridley Scott or Tony Scott ever ran something like 3 or 4 and they are known for running too many cameras.

What it means is setups is 12. A setup is every time the camera is moved and a new shot is setup. A big movie should idle at around 30. A lot of setups in a day is 70 which guys like Robert Rodriguez challenge themselves to do.

SpaceWolf

Banned

At least with the Star Wars cinematic universe, they actually allow for references to their television characters in the movies.

Meanwhile we've got the Marvel TV characters staggering outside the quarters of Marvel Studios, begging for dimes.

Top Bottom