• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm hired acting coach for Han Solo star's performance

Surfinn

Let's not pretend Star Wars is more than it is. The entire premise was a modern revival of the 1930's serials like Flash Gordon. Lucas only made Star Wars because he couldn't get the rights to Flash Gordon.

And what were those 1930's serials? They were tv shows before tv.

"How will Flash get out of this one, folks? Come to the theater next week and find out!"

Running Star Wars like Marvel(as a giant blockbuster serial) isn't only good business sense. It's respecting what Lucas was aiming for in the first place.
Just cuz it started that way doesn't mean it shouldn't strive to be more. Rian Johnson has already confirmed that TLJ is going to be deeper than that original vision.

Who cares what George wanted in the 70s. Look what he did with SW in the 90s/00s.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
A Bobba Fett movie would be awesome but Disney is too chicken to make it a Kuffs/Dead Pool-like brzaking the 4th wall comedy where we never see his face that opens with a freeze frame disc scratch of Bubba falling into the Sarlac and saying "Yep, that's me, you're probably wondering how I got here.".

It's the only way to make it work.

Fuck if you don't want to get SW's fans whining forever just end the movie with a twist that the narrator turned out to have been telling his own story all along, a Bubba fan who went in the sarlac and got his suit to carry on his legacy.

Kinyou

A Bobba Fett movie would be awesome but Disney is too chicken to make it a Kuffs/Dead Pool-like brzaking the 4th wall comedy where we never see his face that opens with a freeze frame disc scratch of Bubba falling into the Sarlac and saying "Yep, that's me, you're probably wondering how I got here.".

Fuck if you don't want to get SW's fans whining forever just end the movie with a twist that the narrator turned out to have been telling his own story all along, a Bubba fan who went in the sarlac and got his suit to carry on his legacy.
Sounds like robot chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn_J425eo3Q

SpaceWolf

Banned
If Lucasfilm actually announces a Bobba Fett spin-off for 2020, I think I'll die a little inside.

A cool character design doesn't automatically make for an interesting character. Jango reminded us of that.

Who cares what George wanted in the 70s. Look what he did with SW in the 90s/00s.

You're basically pointing out exactly why people should care more about what he wanted in the 70s though.

It can be "more" than just a serial by being a very, very good serial. You can do things within that serial framework that elevate it. You don't have to fundamentally change the formula.

It doesn't have to be post ROTJ. That gives them ample room for creative freedom.

I really don't think anyone gives a shit about Boba Fett. I think people in charge of picking movies think fans still give a shit about Boba Fett. But the fans themselves got over his useless ass awhile ago.

Kid Boba basically wrecked the only thing about Old Boba that anyone liked - despite the fact Kid Boba was handled decently in Clone Wars.

It really does feel like a leftover from the "edgy" '90s when the fandom was like 98% shitty teenage boys of the kind who really appreciated Shadows of the Empire for its story and loved the part where Prince Lizard Roofie perved on Leia in a bathtub.

aliengmr

Does anyone know a single person who is excited for a young Han Solo movie? I certainly don't. This was a terrible idea from the start

I am.

Anything outside 7, 8, and 9 is a bonus as I see it. Plus young Han Solo is far more interesting than some old guy sitting in a fucking desert.

The film doesn't need to change my life, just entertain me for 2 hours. If it's terrible, then it's terrible and I'll wait for the boring Obi-Wan movie. Nothing has been lost.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I really don't think anyone gives a shit about Boba Fett. I think people in charge of picking movies think fans still give a shit about Boba Fett. But the fans themselves got over his useless ass awhile ago.

Kid Boba basically wrecked the only thing about Old Boba that anyone liked - despite the fact Kid Boba was handled decently in Clone Wars.

It really does feel like a leftover from the "edgy" '90s when the fandom was like 98% shitty teenage boys of the kind who really appreciated Shadows of the Empire for its story and loved the part where Prince Lizard Roofie perved on Leia in a bathtub.

I think that's a very fair assessment. Reminds me of how that Star Wars 1313 video-game was going to be eventually unveiled as a Boba Fett game.

How would a Boba Fett spin-off even work, anyway? Wouldn't he have to be played by Temuera Morrison on account of being a clone? It would be such a headache to pull off.

Surfinn

You're basically pointing out exactly why people should care more about what he wanted in the 70s though.

It can be "more" than just a serial by being a very, very good serial. You can do things within that serial framework that elevate it. You don't have to fundamentally change the formula.

I was referring to the films simply being shallow serials. RJ stated that he's going in deep with the characters we were introduced to in EP7 and that we'll actually get to know them. We're talking about components that don't only amount to "HOW'S SHE GUNNA GET OUT OF THIS ONE?" And unless I'm mistaken, even the original SW was the result of a team effort and was quite different from what George would have done had he made every creative decision on his own.

I think it will be difficult to view EP8 and categorize it as an adventure serial, in the traditional sense.

Let's not pretend Star Wars is more than it is. The entire premise was a modern revival of the 1930's serials like Flash Gordon. Lucas only made Star Wars because he couldn't get the rights to Flash Gordon.

And what were those 1930's serials? They were tv shows before tv.

"How will Flash get out of this one, folks? Come to the theater next week and find out!"

Running Star Wars like Marvel(as a giant blockbuster serial) isn't only good business sense. It's respecting what Lucas was aiming for in the first place.
giphy.gif

Surfinn

I am.

Anything outside 7, 8, and 9 is a bonus as I see it. Plus young Han Solo is far more interesting than some old guy sitting in a fucking desert.

The film doesn't need to change my life, just entertain me for 2 hours. If it's terrible, then it's terrible and I'll wait for the boring Obi-Wan movie. Nothing has been lost.
But he didn't just sit in a desert for two decades

TheXbox

Does anyone know a single person who is excited for a young Han Solo movie? I certainly don't. This was a terrible idea from the start
I was. It's supposed to be a great script, and I thought Lord and Miller as co-directors was an inspired choice. Donald Glover's involvement sealed the deal for me; I really thought this was the Star Wars movie that was going to surprise people.

Turns out Lawrence Kasdan is a prima donna and Lord and Miller can't handle a tentpole picture. Oh well.

jelly

I thought Boba Fett was dull, he had a cool voice and the sound as he follows the Falcon in ESB but other than that he sucks. The prequel change didn't do anything to change my views. I guess an ever so slightly not the worse scene in Attack of the Clones in the rain but that wasn't even him, well kinda, boy clone is really him. I guess you can place him in any situation pretty much which is probably why they want to do a Boba Fett film but are we suppose to like him? Watch the guy who carbonited your fav Han Solo going around the galaxy getting bounties.

I was referring to the films simply being shallow serials.

Yeah, but nobody said the serials had to be shallow. Just that they were serials, and making movies in keeping with that legacy is closer in line to what Lucas was intending in the first place, and that it's not really some sort of step-down or dilution of Star Wars' core elements or whatever.

Even in the earliest biographies of the man, it was noted that Star Wars stood tall over pop-culture, but was built like an inverted pyramid: The mythological strength and importance placed upon it seemed very outsized considering its origins and execution.

It's always been a series that has had way more depth placed upon its shoulders than it was ever built to carry. Which is why when Lucas returned to it, it became this ungainly, weird thing that was off-putting and strangely written, and only started to regain resonance/storytelling strength when it literally became a television series.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Amazing!

Yes it would be amazing.

The morale of the story would end up being that the hero realizes he shouldn't try to be someone else, he can just be himself. At the end he'd throw the suit back in the Sarlac. It's a metaphor of how Disney shouldn't try to revive dead Star Wars characters and just do something new.

Then, post credit, the Sarlac would spit the suit back out, and another desperate Bobba Fett fan comes along and puts the helmet on, and that's a metaphor for how stupid it is to think Disney won't continue to milk the fuck out of Bobba Fett anyway.

Replace Christian Slater with someone dressed as Bobba Fett here, imagine it's in the Star Wars universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpJdlygQRgk

Seriously, Dead Pool/Kuffs Bobba Fett just writes itself.

You Fett nerds need to stop trying to make Bobba relevant. Any 'cool' factor he had died when he jobbed hardcore against a blind Han Solo, who hit him by accident.

It shouldn't have ever been made but whatever. Watch it or not, at this point I'll likely watch. Unless it really ends up like a marvel movie. Which rogue one was on a lot of ways

I think Boba is STILL a pretty blank slate, despite knowing what his origin is. He was a kid, he got raised by bounty hunters after his father died at the hands of Jedi. We got to see him being a dickweed a bit in TCW. That's it.

That doesn't tell us anything about him as an adult in the Imperial era. He's just a badass who does dirty deeds for a buck and works with other shadies. He could be anything. He's such a blank slate that if they make a movie of him, they could do whatever they want. It could be post RotJ, pre RotJ, whatever. If they wanted to make it post RotJ, it's the easiest retcon ever (two minutes after the rebels leave, Boba shoots his way out of Sarlaac's mouth with his jet pack and pistol).

Temuera Morrison's voiceover work was great in Moana. Keep his helmet on most of the movie. When he takes it off, give him a scarred grizzled face and a grey beard. Make it a totally Fistful of Dollars kind of thing. It's fine. They could make a good Boba Fett movie if they tried.

Surfinn

Yeah, but nobody said the serials had to be shallow. Just that they were serials, and making movies in keeping with that legacy is closer in line to what Lucas was intending in the first place, and that it's not really some sort of step-down or dilution of Star Wars' core elements or whatever.

Even in the earliest biographies of the man, it was noted that Star Wars stood tall over pop-culture, but was built like an inverted pyramid: The mythological strength and importance placed upon it seemed very outsized considering its origins and execution.

It's always been a series that has had way more depth placed upon its shoulders than it was ever built to carry. Which is why when Lucas returned to it, it became this ungainly, weird thing that was off-putting and strangely written, and only started to regain resonance/storytelling strength when it literally became a television series.
Ok, this makes sense. Maybe I misunderstood the original post then. But I will say that the films failed because they were poorly executed, not because they were films. That's on George Lucas. They had potential to be good and even great.

Sephzilla

At Star Wars Celebration this year they showed off a deleted scene from Clone Wars that was about how Boba Fett got the blaster mark on his helmet. I think the reason this deleted scene got shown off was because the scene involved Boba Fett. So nah, I think people still care about Boba Fett.

At Star Wars Celebration this year they showed off a deleted scene from Clone Wars that was about how Boba Fett got the blaster mark on his helmet. I think the reason this deleted scene got shown off was because the scene involved Boba Fett. So nah, I think people still care about Boba Fett.

Star Wars fans at a Star Wars convention liked a deleted scene from a Star Wars show that explained how a Star Wars character's costume got a mark on it.

Yeah, all that tells me is that Star Wars fans at Star Wars conventions are easily entertained by shit.

That's a phenomena that can be seen during any panel when any guest mentions anything even semi-recognizable and the whole show stops for 5 seconds so the crowd can applaud rapturously in self-congratulation at having recognized a reference.

"OH SHIT HE SAID MON MOTHMA"
*applause break*

You can see why bearing witness to an animatic of a dent being made might thrill the shit out of said attendees.

Sephzilla

Star Wars fans at a Star Wars convention liked a deleted scene from a Star Wars show that explained how a Star Wars character's costume got a mark on it.

Yeah, all that tells me is that Star Wars fans at Star Wars conventions are easily entertained by shit.

That's a phenomena that can be seen during any panel when any guest mentions anything even semi-recognizable and the whole show stops for 5 seconds so the crowd can applaud rapturously in self-congratulation at having recognized a reference.

*applause break*

You can see why bearing witness to an animatic of a dent being made might thrill the shit out of said attendees.

pHYWJKQ.gif

SpaceWolf

Banned

Haha, fantastic.

*applause break*

Careful, Bobby. That observation sounds almost RedLetterMedia-esque.

The closer in the timeline to the Prequels one of these new films is, the worse it will be.

Rogue One was set 30 minutes before ANY, so It's almost as good as ANH.

"Dude, look. People at a convention for Star Wars liked a Star Wars thing they saw at a Star Wars panel. Point proven, amirite?"

No. I don't think a large number of people really give any sort of fuck about Boba Fett. He's an empty suit and all that superficial '90s-era edge that made him "cool" for the largely male fandom back in the day is dead now.

You think maybe people cheered because the animatic ended with someone SHOOTING HIM IN THE HEAD?

Hell, in the story from the OP, you notice how "employees applauding the new director" is framed as the proletariat unchained thanking the benevolent overlords for bestowing upon them a kind leader, as opposed to say, the kind of polite applauding you do when a new sales rep is introduced at your monthly office meeting?

Pointing at a con crowd looking at a deleted scene as proof the larger audience wants to watch a whole movie (especially one patterned off fuckin' KUFFS, of all the goddamned things) based on the character doesn't make much sense to me.

It wasn't even that big a panel, and the news that came from that footage's screening wasn't that big a news, and that's inside the fandom circle.

People were like 15x more excited about the idea that the Temuera Morrison clone was going to be turned into the Santa Claus guy from Return of the Jedi.

Careful, Bobby. That observation sounds almost RedLetterMedia-esque.

It definitely seems like an apt description of their hardcore fanbase, sure.

"OH SHIT, THEY POSTED A 20 MINUTE VIDEO OF NOTHING AGAIN"
"Comedy geniuses"
"And we're geniuses for recognizing how genius their genius is"
"This calls for a gif!"
"Why stop at 1?"
"Why indeed"
*15 gifs endlessly quoted, like a butt pooping into a butt, back and forth, forever*
"very cool"
"very cool"

Vectorman

Banned
I have no idea why Disney doesn't just try a reimagining of the 1st KOTOR game's story. That's like easy money right there. Or hell, I make a tv show. There has to be be some expanded universe stuff that makes them go, 'That's not a bad idea.'

Fury451

Banned
This is bizarre, Alden Ehrenreich has been pretty great and everything I've seen him in. Maybe this is like a coach to help him hit the Ford mannerisms better something?

Not really sure what to think of this, but the whole project in general seemed irrelevant even before all these changes.

Sephzilla

sure I'm not

for example: I didn't try to prove how much people give a shit about Boba Fett's useless ass by mentioning the reception to a deleted scene shown at one of the lesser panels at a fan convention.

I'm not the one trying to prove Fett's irrelevant by citing my own internal world as an example

A movie about a few nameless characters from the opening crawl of A New Hope made a cool billion. Pretty sure if you threw a Fett movie out there suddenly the Fett fans would come out of the woodwork again

You are arguing against your own point. The characters of Rogue One are nameless/throw away on purpose. The selling point of Rogue One was that its about stealing the plans to the Death Star. Everyone knows about the Death Star. It's the entire plot of A New Hope.

Sephzilla

You are arguing against your own point. The selling point of Rogue One was that its about stealing the plans to the Death Star. Everyone knows about the Death Star. It's the entire plot of A New Hope.

good point, actually.

But arguing that Fett isn't still relevant to some degree is really stupid. The dude was a recurring character as recently as 2013 thanks to Clone Wars and that Star Wars 1313 game was supposed to be about him too.

JB1981

"Kennedy discussed her belief that within major franchises, it is possible to “take artistic license and creative risks.” She added, “If all you're doing is playing it safe — trying to make the same movie over and over again — that's when the audiences say, 'Oh, this is just a moneymaking machine.’ But if it's genuinely in service to the art form, then the franchise concept is being used in a way that's exciting."

Yea ok. Gif

Top Bottom