• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just played through my second "Voyage".
Got a new high score of 587,882.
Took about 80 minutes..
That puts me at #58 on the scoreboard ^_^
Game is so addictive.

612,851 on Voyage #52! My eyes are bleeding and my fingers hurt from just two rounds of Voyage. Thank goodness I have Hot Shots to break things up.

Friend leaderboards are working for me now too. Nice...it begins.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm sitting at #4 on the Voyage leaderboard. I'm #1 for the day too. I know it won't last, but it is fun seeing it. My best Voyage run so far is 1,611,035.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm sitting at #4 on the Voyage leaderboard. I'm #1 for the day too. I know it won't last, but it is fun seeing it. My best Voyage run so far is 1,611,035.

Awesome. It's gonna take some time for me to get used to the system. My thumb kept hitting the stick. There are also some new blocks that were doing things that confused me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You're doing better than I am. Highest I've gotten is 66K lol

It's a nice game because you can just chill out and play and get better every time and then start to do things you thought were impossible. Just ignore the overall leaderboards and also it helps to be competing with someone around your skill level through the leaderboards GeoWars-style.

It's a nice game because you can just chill out and play and get better every time and then start to do things you thought were impossible. Just ignore the overall leaderboards and also it helps to be competing with someone around your skill level through the leaderboards GeoWars-style.

Yeah, I've noticed I'm slowly getting better. Each time through I my score gets a bit higher.

Nert

We're never going to get a Lumines game where we can play our own music, are we? We'd never have to upgrade.

Outside of the fun of being exposed to different musicians, I'd still want more Lumines games on future systems because I'm a graphics whore and I want to see what kind of skins they can come up with.

We're never going to get a Lumines game where we can play our own music, are we? We'd never have to upgrade.

This makes no sense. The sound effects are pre-planned to match the music tracks. The only difference in this game is that for some reason they didn't bother to match the sound of hitting the back touchpad to the individual skins. The effect they used sounds bad and out-of-place. Shame on them for that oversight.

Duffyside

Banned
Ok, there is no way the platinum is hidden in the trophy list. Unless they deliberately hide the trophies on the Vita instead of having "hidden trophy."

There really never was any doubt once the trophy list was released. Games don't just have platinums; they have to have a certain amount of points accumulated from the other trophies as well, and Lumines doesn't have anywhere near that amount of other trophies. In fact, it has the same amount of downloadable games that don't have platinums.

I'm frankly shocked that it's even allowed for a full retail release to not have a platinum. What the fuck, Sony? Shit like this really makes me question whether they really have everything together. Just... how?

Captain Pants

How is everyone getting such amazing scores? I've yet to break 100k! =(

A lot of it comes down to practice. Eventually you get to where you can see your upcoming blocks in your peripheral vision and you have a plan to use them before they come up. Keeping the score multiplier going is key. Try to make sure you are deleting 4 or more blocks each time the bar passes through the screen. That'll make your score shoot up like crazy.

dumb question, sorry if it was answered earlier in the thread -

is it possible to save your state in the game and come back later? I don't mean to keep it running as a multitasking thing, I mean can I save my game, play some Wipeout, then come back to my saved Lumines game? I remember my games on the PSP version would sometimes go for hours. Or maybe my wife wants to play a marathon game while I'm in the middle of Rayman.

thanks!

edit: if not, it should.

Duffyside

Banned
I'm frankly shocked that it's even allowed for a full retail release to not have a platinum. What the fuck, Sony? Shit like this really makes me question whether they really have everything together. Just... how?

To answer your question; because they don't have everything together. They've been poorly managed since probably 2005. Hopefully Kaz being the new CEO will make a difference, but I'm not optimistic.

How is everyone getting such amazing scores? I've yet to break 100k! =(

An easy way is to just keep erasing one color entirely before the line passes each time. Doing so nets you 1000 points each time. Get lucky and remove both colors and you get 10k. Once you get a grip on how the different combo of blocks interact, then you can start laying down groups of each color so that you can quickly link a bunch of the same color together for a big bonus as the line passes over it. Any grouping over 3 nets you a bonus.

Captain Pants

I'm really hooked on the 60 second stopwatch challenge. My best so far is 91. I know that I broke 120 in the first Lumines, I just need to practice.

I'm really quite awful at this game, but I am loving it to pieces. The soundtrack is really good, and each time I play Voyage mode I get a little bit further. I hope the soundtrack will be available for purchase at some point. :)

UFRA

OMG

I just got a high score on Voyage of 266,000 something. And then I accidentally hit "retry" instead of "quit" and it didn't fucking record the score or my XP earned. It was just over an hour long session in Voyage and I would have unlocked tons of skins...

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

RoylAsult

add me :) RoylAsult

my high score is 80k but i ended on purpose. I never got over 100k in any other lumines game this one is so amazing that i know im going to break that soon :)

Alchemy

I'm not seeing many 999,999 scores being posted, did they nerf things since the first Lumines? I remember being able to play basically forever on the first one.

Hit ~450k on an 85 minute game of Voyage. Not enough for the real leaderboards, but I made it on the daily one which feels pretty nice. And now I can't actually see anything.

Alchemy

Not sure. I bought it but cant play it until my Wifi unit arrives Wednesday.

Blargh... I really can't wait for this. I ended up getting Uncharted first (picked up my preorder yesterday) but I think I'm going to grab Lumines from Target on Sunday and play that first, and apparently forever.

Cannot wait.

Blargh... I really can't wait for this. I ended up getting Uncharted first (picked up my preorder yesterday) but I think I'm going to grab Lumines from Target on Sunday and play that first, and apparently forever.

Cannot wait.

Just a reminder in case you didnt know, but you can download a demo of it from PSN(SEN) right now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The leaderboards for the timed modes use score instead of blocks. w/e but stupid imo

Also it's Lumines and it's amazing and all that but the load times are obnoxious at times. Dunno if it's specific to the PSN version but sometimes I have to wait like 10 seconds for the damn leaderboards to load.

Nert

The leaderboards for the timed modes use score instead of blocks. w/e but stupid imo

Also it's Lumines and it's amazing and all that but the load times are obnoxious at times. Dunno if it's specific to the PSN version but sometimes I have to wait like 10 seconds for the damn leaderboards to load.

I remember a couple of reviews mentioning the long load times in this game. UMvC3, another Vita game that I'm looking forward to, also seems to have long load times. Throw in the more egregious example of Wipeout, and I'm a little concerned about how Vita handles loading in general. Hopefully, this problem will diminish once the system is past its launch period.

Alchemy

Just a reminder in case you didnt know, but you can download a demo of it from PSN(SEN) right now.

I don't have my Vita yet, it is likely I will get Lumines before my Vita :/.

I just reinstalled the Steam version of Lumines and did a challenge run. I only have 326,766. I have shamed myself and my family.

Captain Pants

It is too bad that the game doesn't have a platinum. I just finished getting all of the trophies and really wish there were more. Oh well. It is still great.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gah... just five more days until I can play...
The copy on my desk (it's on my Super Nintendo) is just begging to be played. :(

It is too bad that the game doesn't have a platinum. I just finished getting all of the trophies and really wish there were more. Oh well. It is still great.
Oh, so there isn't a platinum at all for this game? Aw. Seems like some retail Vita games have a plat and others don't. Maybe this was originally supposed to be DD only?

Top Bottom