• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Good thing I tried the demo first. I can't stand the pseudo 3d effect, it really ruins the gameplay for me.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Show a pic of your trophies screen and tweet it to mielke :)

That sounds like more effort than I can muster since I don't have a twitter account. Here's a pic in case you want to harass him:

ait39.jpg

JEKKI

nooooooooo~!!!!

I jus started playing this game and jus reached the point where I have to take a break coz my hands are killin me!!!!

this is a good opportunity to test out the pspita's sleep mode!! lol

JEKKI

nooooooooo~!!!!

I freakin died man!! I thought I could pull off an all clear on my first try but I didnt!!

;_;

498K. basura I say!!

Ken

I passed the first 3 "skins" (?) and only had about 40k points. Are there any tips or strategies for maximizing point gain? This is my first Lumines game so I'm kind of playing it like Tetris (as in just trying to survive).

I'm worried about filling your power gauge via backtouch drumming. Seems like it would be really annoying or does it factor into playing the game at all?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
First play/run was 62:39. ~800k. 5 trophies. Yeah I was real surprised at that small trophy list.

Yeah it's such a perfect game for trophies too. Lumines Live had a really good setup. Every time trial had an easy and a harder trophy and there were several other ones that were good. Considering the gradual progression of skill in the game, trophies can be a great way to give new players incentives to get better and better.

Sometimes I don't get Q at all, but at least this has friend leaderboards unlike Supernova. (Though some are janky -- points for the time trials instead of blocks? Bleh.)

Famassu

So.. I've got this and Vita coming, I just wanted to ask for some tips for the game. I've only played the Lumines that's available through PSN, but as it is my mother is probably a better Lumines player than I am. >_>; Just never could quite grasp what I should do to get to the really big scores...

Mzo

So.. I've got this and Vita coming, I just wanted to ask for some tips for the game. I've only played the Lumines that's available through PSN, but as it is my mother is probably a better Lumines player than I am. >_>; Just never could quite grasp what I should do to get to the really big scores...
Watch somebody really good play, like Mr. Hexic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQt5OhlAZE

That helped my brain understand how the game worked more than any explanations given.

The new game has a new block type that might fuck with the usual way I play Lumines, though. Gonna have to play and see this Weds!

UFRA

As with most games that have awesome music, like 70% of these songs are very special and aren't easily accessible for purchase.

I managed to buy 6 of my fav songs from the game at least though. Made a "Lumines" play list for my phone lol. :D

Electronic Symphony indeed, definitely the best music ever in any Lumines game I played.

Also, got a new high score of 446,000. Only was 4 skins away from looping back to the start on Voyage.

Edit: If you don't already know, tap the back touch pad rapidly to recharge your avatar's special power. That's the key to higher scores faster.

Chorazin

This game you guys, this game. I was never a big Lumines fan before now, but I really needed a puzzle game and after hearing about the music, I figured I'd give this a shot. I'm so glad I did, this is amazing!

Jonnyram

Is there a list of the order of the skins in Voyage?
I suspect my 480k attempt took me pretty close to the end, but not sure.
Best Lumines of all time, for sure.

Add me if you want another person to compare scores to. I'd classify myself as an average-to-good Lumines player. Not amazing, but also not terrible.

PSN: Bahooki

Jonnyram

Just cleared my first run. Currently have about 680k but the board's a bit messy so I might not last much longer.

IIRC, the last few are:
• "Always Loved A Film" - Underworld
• "Wolfgang's 5th Symphony" - Wolfgang Gartner
• "Out Of The Blue" - System F
• "Gouryella" - Gouryella

Greektown

Neo Member
Add me up

SEN/PSN: Greektown

I got 811 thousand in around an hour. I still have one more skin to unlock though. so rattling

RoylAsult

i need help, i just scored 360k ish in an hour which is my best score by 200k lol. But the thing is i didnt get the trophy for clearing 10 skins in voyage... is there something i am missing? i am almost positive i did way more then 10, i reached the stage with the drawn rocket ships (2 more past that i think)

also how many skins are there in voyage? was i close to finishing it?

Troidal

For anyone who have played the very first Lumines, how much of the original songs (excluding licensed music like Mondo Grosso/Eri Nobuchika) are in the Vita one? The music and the skins in that one still mesmerizes me more than the rest of the Lumines that came after to be honest. But from what I've been reading, it seems like it's a return to form? How is it?

I just ordered this game on Amazon because of the B2G1. I was going to pass on it (at least initially) because of the lack of Platinum trophy I didn't want to buy it at $40.

I loaded up Lumines on my PSP just now and I was surprised to see I had a High Score of 999,999. I don't even remember doing that! Does this game cap out at 999,999 too?

Jonnyram

For anyone who have played the very first Lumines, how much of the original songs (excluding licensed music like Mondo Grosso/Eri Nobuchika) are in the Vita one? The music and the skins in that one still mesmerizes me more than the rest of the Lumines that came after to be honest. But from what I've been reading, it seems like it's a return to form? How is it?
I don't think any of the old school skins are still in, but the new soundtrack is fricking amazing. Seriously.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If there's one launch game I'm hoping will get updated/DLC'd, it's this one.

It's only a mode or two and a classic skin pack away from perfection.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If there's one launch game I'm hoping will get updated/DLC'd, it's this one.

It's only a mode or two and a classic skin pack away from perfection.

Yeah me too. Most of the Live DLC packs were a ton of fun and actually really entertaining.

newsguy

I hit about 440k on my first run. This is the ultimate game for the gym. I sat on the exercise bike for 45 minutes and the music and concentration made me forget what I was doing. I actually stayed 5 minutes more cause I didn't want to stop.

I've got my second Voyage round up and running. I've got a 650k game sitting at home on the cradle waiting for me to finish when I get home tonight. First round was about 805k.

Will someone sell me on why this game is worth 39.99? I want to believe.

Did you not read the thread title? It's Lumines

Honestly though. If $39.99 is too much then maybe you should wait. Those who will pay $39.99 for it don't need convincing. You could try and get it as part of the B2G1 deal on Amazon though.

Nert

Will someone sell me on why this game is worth 39.99? I want to believe.

The original Lumines was the only game that I had with my PSP for most of that system's lifespan, and I likely put hundreds of hours into it. Beyond being an amazing puzzle game, the shifting backgrounds and songs prevented repeated playthroughs from feeling repetitive. The music is excellent, but I also had fun playing the game with the volume dialed down while listening to podcasts. By nearly all accounts, Electronic Symphony is a better looking Lumines with a more cohesive soundtrack and solid leaderboard support.

It all depends on whether or not you see this game as a decent value proposition, I guess. If you don't see yourself playing through Voyage mode time and time again, you could always wait for a price drop. You should also make sure to try out the demo and watch some footage of the game before making a decision.

Just downloaded this.I have a question: It doesn't appear to have that mode where you play against the CPU like in the original Lumines. I forgot what it was called, but it was split screen, you versus the computer.Is this mode available in the Vita lumines?

Just downloaded this.I have a question: It doesn't appear to have that mode where you play against the CPU like in the original Lumines. I forgot what it was called, but it was split screen, you first the computer.Is this mode available in the Vita lumines?

Nope, they removed a bunch of modes that people for the most part found to be useless.

I've got my second Voyage round up and running. I've got a 650k game sitting at home on the cradle waiting for me to finish when I get home tonight. First round was about 805k.

Did you not read the thread title? It's Lumines

Honestly though. If $39.99 is too much then maybe you should wait. Those who will pay $39.99 for it don't need convincing. You could try and get it as part of the B2G1 deal on Amazon though.

It's weird this doesn't have a puzzle mode, considering the $15 ($10?) XBLA and PSN versions do. That kinda hurts the value proposition.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's weird this doesn't have a puzzle mode, considering the $15 ($10?) XBLA and PSN versions do. That kinda hurts the value proposition.

I take your point, but those modes were horrible. :p Even dig-down mode on PS3 was pretty wacked. Better to encourage people to play Good Lumines and have more skins! :D

Depends really. I found those modes to be ridiculously awful. The only reason I bought the vs. DLC for the 360 version was to get more skins for edit mode. Puzzle mode, vs, dig-down are all just crap to me, to be honest. The devs put a lot of thought into the design of the core game, but they've been pretty bad at coming up with other modes of play that are fun or engaging.

Top Bottom