• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body

Chatin

How long is Voyage? I assumed each skin had a set length, but I played for well over an hour the other night and was still half a dozen skins (at least) away from finishing Voyage.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How long is Voyage? I assumed each skin had a set length, but I played for well over an hour the other night and was still half a dozen skins (at least) away from finishing Voyage.

Relatedly, I'm kind of shocked I don't know this, but Wario how does skin progression work in Lumines? Is it triggered by score roughly or just a set time? I could swear the lengths of each skin are variable but I've never actually bothered to figure it out too busy makin' chains.

Just press the PS button and put it to sleep. Make sure you don't accidentally close the game by peeling the live area or opening the browser

Or simply pause and put to sleep

Or just hit the power button (puts the vita to sleep).

One thing I did notice just now is a message in the top left corner stating "No new content found". So there's more than likely going to be new skins coming. Can't wait.

Relatedly, I'm kind of shocked I don't know this, but Wario how does skin progression work in Lumines? Is it triggered by score roughly or just a set time? I could swear the lengths of each skin are variable but I've never actually bothered to figure it out too busy makin' chains.

It's based on blocks cleared. The only game that wasn't was Lumines 2 and it's shitty music videos that had to play out completely before moving on.

Mdk7

I'm having troubles with the World Block... Simply, i can't get to upload my results.
Do you have to do something in order to send your squares?

branny

I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm in love with this game (thankfully, since I basically bought a Vita for it). Reaching Lights in the first Lumines was much more memorable and emotional, but Electronic Symphony's skin quality is wayyyyy stronger throughout (and that's saying a lot considering that, until now, the skins in the original have remained the best in the series when judged as a whole). In fact, Voyage is so pleasantly similar to the original's progression/flow that I swear even the visuals for some skins are reminiscent of how and when they'd appear. So happy. I can't wait to spend more time with this.

I was having Vita problems all day yesterday so I unfortunately only got to play through Voyage once before going to bed. It took around 70-ish minutes to clear the first lap, I think. I guess it's different depending on how well you're doing, but it felt about right in terms of length.

edit:
Anyone else have trouble installing the game? It keeps locking up my system

Edit: fixed by repairing database in recovery mode
This was one of the problems I had!

TripOpt55

I got a bit more than 1,100,000 in today's run :D First time over 1 million on this game. I haven't tried anything other than Voyage, but man I am loving this game.

Amir0x

Banned
I got a bit more than 1,100,000 in today's run :D First time over 1 million on this game. I haven't tried anything other than Voyage, but man I am loving this game.

I remember the 999.999 Lumines 1 score... the achievement felt good man. This game is amazing, 9.8/10. Best game of the year so far imo, back to a good track list too.

turnbuckle

Psn: Turnbuckle47

I've never been able to get good at this game. I like it a lot and have it on psp, 360, and ps3 too but it hasn't "clicked" for me yet. I can play for a long time but don't know any strategies to get a good score or anything :(

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Does voyage start with the same skin every time? I want to start with a different song or skin or something.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just had my longest run yet - 25K points - fuck yeah! For some reason one of my previous runs was more than that, despite the fact that I only lasted half as long. Are there any helpful Lumines guides out there? I appreciate the difficulty curve but I feel like I'm not quite grasping any of the techniques required for decent scores.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I remember the 999.999 Lumines 1 score... the achievement felt good man. This game is amazing, 9.8/10. Best game of the year so far imo, back to a good track list too.

yeah it's too bad there's no trophy for 1m in this game. it's a nice milestone. minor complaint but the game should have a bunch more trophies for people of all levels to shoot for. this set falls well sort of the lumines live one

zoku88

Huh, I just got a trophy for clearing all of the skins in Lumines. But the only thing I've done since last night is load the game and click the smiley icon on the start screen...

Pretty sure I didn't actually get through all of the skins. Don't you usually need to get like 1 million points or something (at least, in the original Lumines, the final song appeared after that many points, I think.)

Amir0x

Banned
yeah it's too bad there's no trophy for 1m in this game. it's a nice milestone. minor complaint but the game should have a bunch more trophies for people of all levels to shoot for. this set falls well sort of the lumines live one

I actually hate trophies and achievements of all sorts in any game so it's not something that bothers me. I just like the score going on the leaderboard and the smile I get when I surpass my friends and then they go "f uuuu" and get back at me and we have friendly competitions :D

The one that was hard for me to get was the get to 250,000 points on one single skin rotation, which took me a fair amount of tries. I wasn't gunning for it and just got it during natural play, but when I got it I realized how many times I had done a single skin rotation and never got it.

Another complaint I have is that it doesn't appear to show my high score on screen for 10-song Edit mode. I loved trying to best my time in that mode on the 360.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I actually hate trophies and achievements of all sorts in any game so it's not something that bothers me. I just like the score going on the leaderboard and the smile I get when I surpass my friends and then they go "f uuuu" and get back at me and we have friendly competitions :D

The one that was hard for me to get was the get to 250,000 points on one single skin rotation, which took me a fair amount of tries

Yeah friend leaderboards are most important of all by far. This is what was so unfortunate about Supernova.

But Live sets out a really good approach that gives people of different skill levels good goals to shoot for in the main and timed modes. You can kind of progress through several levels of skillhood and use them as milestones just like 1m is an important milestone.

Another complaint I have is that it doesn't appear to show my high score on screen for 10-song Edit mode. I loved trying to best my time in that mode on the 360.

The high scores are not handled well in this game. I don't know if it's a server issue or what. It takes forever to load them, they don't even update immediately (not sure how long it takes but it's not instant), and for timed they use score instead of blocks.

Game still gets an A from me, just minor niggles.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
(AstroLad, maybe you can answer this) Ok, what am I missing here? I got a vita, got Lumines. It's great, but it's hardly revolutionary, or even much different than every other Lumines. Honest question, why does everyone love this game so much? There seems to be a huge lack of modes/content, and at its core, the game is just a really fun puzzle game, but nothing more.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic - I honestly want to be in love with this as much as everyone else is. Someone hold my hand and get me there. =/

And side question: is there a way to start on a different skin/song in voyage mode? I don't like having to start with the same skin and song over and over. It'd be nice if it were random or something.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

depends on your skill level - each skin progresses based on the % completed (i.e. number of blocks removed) so you might be on some skins for a longer time than others. So... about 1 hr 45? Something like that?

I sat and played through Voyage last night. Jonnyram had given me a kick up the arse to get better at the game (i like the game, i just suck at it - i'm pretty good at puzzle games, but Lumines i have a weird mental block on certain levels)

Anyways, managed to complete Voyage by the skin of my teeth lol. Pretty poor score of around 420k. Some of the skins are brilliant, and the soundtrack is easily the best of any game ever released.

Honest question, why does everyone love this game so much?

it's more an experience than a game, it's extremely subtle in what it does. For each game, the "voyage" mode is akin to a DJ set. With each skin, the pacing changes, the block mix up changes, the speed of the delete changes and you end up being sucked into an "experience" rather than a game. With each game that experience feels markedly different to people who play them.

As i mentioned before - i form weird "mental blocks" on levels. I hated the previous skin "Just" because i would go into a cold fright panic because i royally botched up my first try on it and that was forever the 'hump' skin where i'd either fail or severely screw up my block patterns.

also - i don't want to sound like a broken record but the sound track for -this- Lumines is absolutely incredible. Especially for people who have a certain taste. I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the music in Lumines 2 - but for this? It just hits so many high spots.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
it's more an experience than a game, it's extremely subtle in what it does. For each game, the "voyage" mode is akin to a DJ set. With each skin, the pacing changes, the block mix up changes, the speed of the delete changes and you end up being sucked into an "experience" rather than a game. With each game that experience feels markedly different to people who play them.

As i mentioned before - i form weird "mental blocks" on levels. I hated the previous skin "Just" because i would go into a cold fright panic because i royally botched up my first try on it and that was forever the 'hump' skin where i'd either fail or severely screw up my block patterns.

also - i don't want to sound like a broken record but the sound track for -this- Lumines is absolutely incredible. Especially for people who have a certain taste. I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the music in Lumines 2 - but for this? It just hits so many high spots.
This pretty much nails most of it for me. The complaints could really be leveled at almost any action puzzler, and yet so many of them are brilliant going all the way back to Tetris. Here's what I love about Lumines:
-I love action puzzlers.
-The music & skins are amazing and create a great distinct tone to each level, as expressed by DCharlie.
-The game scaled really well to all skill levels. If you're a beginning or intermediate player, just hunting down new skins is a great goal. Once you've graduated to being more of a pro, friend leaderboards and new high scores become the focal point. The score part is old-school for sure but it's just an integral part of Lumines.
-While the game lasts 60m+ in the main mode, there isn't a dull moment because of the scoring system and chains, which give you incentives to push as hard as possible nonstop. A lot of the excitement comes from trying to squeeze in as many blocks before the timeline hits, and trying to keep your chains going.

D: so i was playing Voyage earlier. idk how but when i woke my vita back up everything was closed and my suspended game was gone D:.

Played the demo for this and was completely blown away. Might have to pick this up very soon. And here I thought Wipeout 2048 would suffice for a while.

Also, does anyone know how far the demo lets you go? I can get to the 2nd skin, but can only manage 14k points or so before failing.

Not sure if the trophies are messed up or not, but I did a lap-and-a-half in Voyage and never got the trophy for making it through every skin.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Not sure if the trophies are messed up or not, but I did a lap-and-a-half in Voyage and never got the trophy for making it through every skin.

are all the skins in Voyage ?

or do the skins in Master/timed mode also count?

Do you have 43/43 in your stats?

It's weird - Ridge doesn't pop up my trophies at all, but i get them. Very strange.

branny

After playing more of Electronic Symphony, I think it's the most successful Lumines yet, mostly because of the quality of the skins and the revamped visual feedback. It feels like fully-realized Lumines. And the game works so well with the Vita's OLED screen and clicky d-pad. It's a bit early, but I'm beginning to think this is up there with Super Mario World as one of my favorite launch titles of all time.

(AstroLad, maybe you can answer this) Ok, what am I missing here? I got a vita, got Lumines. It's great, but it's hardly revolutionary, or even much different than every other Lumines. Honest question, why does everyone love this game so much? There seems to be a huge lack of modes/content, and at its core, the game is just a really fun puzzle game, but nothing more.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic - I honestly want to be in love with this as much as everyone else is. Someone hold my hand and get me there. =/

And side question: is there a way to start on a different skin/song in voyage mode? I don't like having to start with the same skin and song over and over. It'd be nice if it were random or something.
In my eyes, the original Lumines set out to tell a story about struggle, with the recurring theme of light breaking free, by closely weaving every component of the game together. It sounds cheesy, but that's what I've always thought. It's a series where the audiovisual feedback you receive from every action is just as important as the puzzles themselves. The better you play, the better the feedback. Most skins actually sound better when you are demolishing them. The longer you keep going, the deeper it sucks you into its world of sight and sound. There's something mesmerizing about the entire process. "Just one more." It's all a very cohesive experience, but, unlike other games that flaunt unique "experiences," this is one actually brought about by a fundamentally sound and endlessly enjoyable game.

The puzzle element itself is genuinely good--it's simple, flexible, and addicting. Each block is designed to be of use to some pattern or configuration--there is no downtime (unlike some other puzzlers with dud blocks). Nothing feels like a waste. This contributes to keeping you engaged. Theoretically, you can clear each piece flawlessly. But different skins that govern timeline clearing speed and block falling physics foil that, demanding you to stay on your feet and creating a seamless dynamism not found in many other puzzle games. Some series lean more toward preparation and combos while others emphasize player dexterity and reaction speed; Lumines is cradled somewhere right in the middle. It is definitely an action-oriented puzzle game, so you probably have to like the genre at least a little bit.

Unlike Rez, which I feel is a boring shooter mechanically, I find Lumines to be utterly engaging as a puzzler. Now, the devil's in the details. Up until this game, the original Lumines was the only one I approved of. The others were largely hodgepodge abominations that lacked the proper feel, pacing, and polish of the first game. I never would have thought I'd have such a visceral, emotional reaction out of an arcade-style puzzle game, but I still get choked up hearing Lights. It's kind of like how some survival-horror games wear you out emotionally, leaving you exposed and vulnerable. That skin was the coup de gras for me, the capstone of the Lumines experience, the payoff for struggling to get there the very first time. After Shinin' tactfully introduced everyone to the game, Lights was the perfect way to finish things off.

I don't know how to explain why it's good or why it's still good after you hit those initial landmarks. It really does seem like there are people who either "get it" or have trouble understanding what the big deal is. It was immediate for me, so I didn't need to be converted or anything. I guess a lot of it depends on how much you enjoy the music... If you're playing with the system's speakers or crappy headphones, it might lose some of the magic.

I love that you're asking in earnest, wanting us to help you understand. I just don't think it's possible for someone else to guide you through the process. My advice would be to keep playing. Hopefully, it'll click for you. :)

Also, Voyage is carefully paced, so you won't be able to change the skin order. You can use the playlist editor to customize things to your liking, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am completely in love with this game, though I've played a little bit of it so far. The skins are so fantastic, and the music selection is great. It's been a great experience so far. The visual presentation of many of the skins are just <3.

I expressed love for the D-pad in the Vita OT for its use in Rayman Origins, but it works very well in Lumines because it's so clicky and precise.

It's so much better than Lumines 2. I didn't play Supernova, so I'm not sure how that one was like.

are all the skins in Voyage ?

or do the skins in Master/timed mode also count?

Do you have 43/43 in your stats?

It's weird - Ridge doesn't pop up my trophies at all, but i get them. Very strange.

If I'm not mistaken there's a trophy for unlocking all skins+avatars, and a different trophy for making it through a full lap of Voyage. I did that but it didn't give me the trophy. I have all the skins in the game unlocked from doing Voyage and by simply leveling up. Not sure what's going on.

The trophy states: Clear all Skins in Voyage Mode.
To me that means clear a full lap. Maybe I'm wrong in my assumption.

Dacvak

After playing more of Electronic Symphony, I think it's the most successful Lumines yet, mostly because of the quality of the skins and the revamped visual feedback. It feels like fully-realized Lumines. And the game works so well with the Vita's OLED screen and clicky d-pad. It's a bit early, but I'm beginning to think this is up there with Super Mario World as one of my favorite launch titles of all time.

In my eyes, the original Lumines set out to tell a story about struggle, with the recurring theme of light breaking free, by closely weaving every component of the game together. It sounds cheesy, but that's what I've always thought. It's a series where the audiovisual feedback you receive from every action is just as important as the puzzles themselves. The better you play, the better the feedback. Most skins actually sound better when you are demolishing them. The longer you keep going, the deeper it sucks you into its world of sight and sound. There's something mesmerizing about the entire process. "Just one more." It's all a very cohesive experience, but, unlike other games that flaunt unique "experiences," this is one actually brought about by a fundamentally sound and endlessly enjoyable game.

The puzzle element itself is genuinely good--it's simple, flexible, and addicting. Each block is designed to be of use to some pattern or configuration--there is no downtime (unlike some other puzzlers with dud blocks). Nothing feels like a waste. This contributes to keeping you engaged. Theoretically, you can clear each piece flawlessly. But different skins that govern timeline clearing speed and block falling physics foil that, demanding you to stay on your feet and creating a seamless dynamism not found in many other puzzle games. Some series lean more toward preparation and combos while others emphasize player dexterity and reaction speed; Lumines is cradled somewhere right in the middle. It is definitely an action-oriented puzzle game, so you probably have to like the genre at least a little bit.

Unlike Rez, which I feel is a boring shooter mechanically, I find Lumines to be utterly engaging as a puzzler. Now, the devil's in the details. Up until this game, the original Lumines was the only one I approved of. The others were largely hodgepodge abominations that lacked the proper feel, pacing, and polish of the first game. I never would have thought I'd have such a visceral, emotional reaction out of an arcade-style puzzle game, but I still get choked up hearing Lights. It's kind of like how some survival-horror games wear you out emotionally, leaving you exposed and vulnerable. That skin was the coup de gras for me, the capstone of the Lumines experience, the payoff for struggling to get there the very first time. After Shinin' tactfully introduced everyone to the game, Lights was the perfect way to finish things off.

I don't know how to explain why it's good or why it's still good after you hit those initial landmarks. It really does seem like there are people who either "get it" or have trouble understanding what the big deal is. It was immediate for me, so I didn't need to be converted or anything. I guess a lot of it depends on how much you enjoy the music... If you're playing with the system's speakers or crappy headphones, it might lose some of the magic.

I love that you're asking in earnest, wanting us to help you understand. I just don't think it's possible for someone else to guide you through the process. My advice would be to keep playing. Hopefully, it'll click for you. :)

Also, Voyage is carefully paced, so you won't be able to change the skin order. You can use the playlist editor to customize things to your liking, though.

This was insanely informative and exactly what I was looking for. I still think I'm in the category that enjoys it but doesn't quite get it yet, but I'm hoping I hit the point of A/V orgasm that most people in this thread have.

I guess its simplicity and lack of an insane amount of content work for and against the game, depending on the person. Either way, I'm gonna keep giving it a shot.

Vandiger

I am completely in love with this game, though I've played a little bit of it so far. The skins are so fantastic, and the music selection is great. It's been a great experience so far. The visual presentation of many of the skins are just <3.

I expressed love for the D-pad in the Vita OT for its use in Rayman Origins, but it works very well in Lumines because it's so clicky and precise.

It's so much better than Lumines 2. I didn't play Supernova, so I'm not sure how that one was like.

I've played all of them, this one is the best so far. I just miss the mondo grosso tracks.

For f*ck sake why can't you simply restart the 30 second mode without having to sit through two long loads? I love the game, but that's some piss-poor design right there.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, it's such a rush when the skin changes while you're in the zone, but it causes me to panic sometimes. This game is hypnotic. I didn't blink for like 10 minutes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow, it's such a rush when the skin changes while you're in the zone, but it causes me to panic sometimes. This game is hypnotic. I didn't blink for like 10 minutes.

Yeah this game causes crazy redeye. Like after a game of Voyage you look completely wrecked.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
For f*ck sake why can't you simply restart the 30 second mode without having to sit through two long loads? I love the game, but that's some piss-poor design right there.

Funny enough, it's been like that for every Lumines and they still don't get it. Just kill yourself if you want to retry

TripOpt55

Not that I care that much about trophies, but they don't seem to unlock right. I did the Voyage one yesterday and it unlocked when I went to play today before even starting a game. And I did 30 blocks in 30 seconds in stopwatch or whatever and it didn't unlock. Maybe it will when I go back. Kind of weird.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah this game causes crazy redeye. Like after a game of Voyage you look completely wrecked.

At least now I have an excuse ;).

Anyways, I almost quadrupled my previous high score in the Voyage I just finished. I think I finally "get" how to not suck at this game. It was glorious, but I don't think my brain can take any more of this tonight.

i don't like the shuffle block or rear touchpad rubbing one bit, and i prefer the original 2D graphics, but this is still really great. the most consistent and well-thought out soundtrack of the series, which goes a long way.

i don't like the shuffle block or rear touchpad rubbing one bit, and i prefer the original 2D graphics, but this is still really great. the most consistent and well-thought out soundtrack of the series, which goes a long way.

I think the shuffle block offsets how much easier the block that links like-colored blocks has made the game. I preferred it the other way where you had to make a block with it before it would link. I do love how balanced the game is now, though. I just need/want more skins. I'm used to having 90-100.

As for the trophies, mine are now unlocking in Lumines only after I stop playing and then come back to the game. Got my Voyage trophy and the trophy for 25 blocks linked when I turned the game on a little while ago. World block is still glitched as shit. I checked on the block and it said we(the world) cleared it and I contributed 3000ish blocks, it then leveled me up from 6 to 48. I'm pretty sure that's not what they had in mind.

pantsmith

A couple gripes:

- What is up with the songs ending as early as they do? The transitions between them are abrupt, and I feel like they progress alongside your current percentage clear, which, if true, is a terrible decision.

- The Voyage playlist is awesome, but it would have been nice to have some of the traditional Lumines-sounding tracks (like the unlockable Q-created skins, for instance) to help spread things out, since every track feels so tightly produced. The original Lumines is still the best balance between "event" tracks (Shinin, Shake Ya Body, etc) and its less saturated soundscapes (Working in the Hole, Big El Paso, etc). A little negative space would do the playlist some good.

- As a super fan of Lumines (not a trophy whore), no platinum trophy is lame. Apparently a different trophy list exists, we just didn't get it, for whatever reason. Heres hoping it gets patched in one day.

Otherwise I'm extremely impressed with the game. Loving several of the tracks in particular, like Windowlicker, Pacific 707, and Apollo Throwdown, which all look great, and are greatly complemented by the "Lumines" treatment. I'm hoping we either get some song packs as DLC (more licensed tracks? yes please!) or, even better, the game does well enough to warrant an Electronic Symphony 2.

tzare

i loooooooooooved the demo, i suck at this game but i almost forgot how many hours i spent on both Lumines 1 and 2 on PSP. Music just fits, and i loved the sparkling disco cubes form the demo :)

Got through voyage with 900000 points yesterday and died the first skin immediately afterward... It seemed to go on forever, very impressed with how many skins there were. Took about 1 hour. I don't think we should expect dlc from older lumines versions in this one because the old ones were all 2D and this is all 3D? I do agree it is a shame there aren't more trophies. I was also miffed there is no quick restart in time trial / stopwatch, but suicide does give you retry so that's an ok workaround. Final minor compaint is that I thought the sampling frequency of the music could have been better and friend score integration should be more prominent. In general I am finding the menu design a bit sub-par, not quite up to something like Lumines 2 on PSP.

That said, I still love it and think the new 3D blocks look great!

Top Bottom