• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 5 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
- TV Guide: Weekend TV Review: Mad Men and The Good Wife
That's Mad Men in a woozy nutshell: intoxicating, sophisticated, demanding, uncompromising and always seductively satisfying. Even after a stupefying 17-month absence that somehow hasn't dampened our ardor for this one-of-a-kind series.

- Chicago Sun Times: After Draper delay, ‘Mad Men’ returns
That’s not to say the premiere is devoid of angst, disappointment and drama. It’s just buoyed by an unusually high amount of humor, which might be Weiner’s way of rewarding the show’s nearly 4 million viewers for sticking around the past 17 months.

Yea that's him. I didn't know if there was some news at the time about he wanted out or they couldn't do a deal or something.

I thought he was a likable character.

That's something I always liked about Mad Men. When a characters time is up, they just fade away. No huge explanation or character death needed.

- Pretty cool set of illustrations put together for a production staff calendar

UKJ2M.png

Rewatched the pilot tonight with a few people that have never seen Mad Men before. They enjoyed it. I forgot that Alan Taylor directed the gorgeous pilot. Everyone looks so young compared to now.

Dyna Moe is pretty awesome.
First I've seen , and it is indeed pretty rad. Our own Bertram Cooper should use this for his avatar. :D

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So if I don't have cable, what ways do I have to watch this upcoming episode? Does anyone know if it will be on Vudu? I'm kinda limited to services available on Xbox 360 or PS3, which isn't much...

So if I don't have cable, what ways do I have to watch this upcoming episode? Does anyone know if it will be on Vudu? I'm kinda limited to services available on Xbox 360 or PS3, which isn't much...
iTunes might work, though I don't know if that's available to you.
The pass is up for season 5 on iTunes. I've got it ordered already. Seems like it will be 1080p. There's a free 4 minute recap of season 4 right now. Most shows are up the day after air, except for premium networks like HBO which aren't available until the home disc release date. This is for the US store, I'm not sure if the same internationally.

She's been doing stuff for the show almost from the very beginning. I love her work.
Cool. I might dig through her flickr feed this weekend and see what else she's done.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the response - doesn't look like I can access iTunes on my consoles though, but it does look like Season 5 will be available on Zune (Xbox 360). Now I just need to make sure it's 1080p and I'm all set! :)

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Almost done with season 4 up to the episode with Pryce and his father. Find it funny how Don's daughter gets so much screen time on this while his son gets crap. Most likely for the fact they keep changing the kid though.

Acrylamid

What I love about Mad Men the most is the massive amount of details put into every aspect of the show.
You can rewatch every episode, watch the commentary tracks and read reviews and message boards and still find new stuff.

For example, the psychological debate whether the person or the situation is the more important factor for human behavior has been presented by two metaphors that use the same picture but express oppositional conclusions -

Bert Cooper: A man is whatever room he is in. (1-12)*

Don Draper: When a man walks into a room, he brings his whole life with him. (4-08)

* (allegedly a Japanese saying... but all google results seem to be tied to Mad Men)

What's the message that the writer(s) want(s) to convey here?
I don't think they want to "answer" the debate, so I guess it's a comment about the characters.
Presumably about Don, because he heard Bert's conclusion and a few years later said the exact opposite. But Bert said it to help Don, to disburden him! Maybe the fact that Don believes the opposite should have reminded us that he still feels the guilt about his past, "his whole life" from being a whore child to desert his country to let his brother kill himself to have Betty divorce him.
On the other hand, Don used his comment in his diary in "The Summer Man", after the turning point of "The Suitcase" in what seemed to be the start of a new, more hopeful, more optimistic Don Draper. He starts anew but at the same time he reminds himself of his past. Maybe Don is finally learning to integrate his past and his present.
In season two, he told Peggy "It will shock you how much this never happened" and thus said to her that lying about and running from his past is a viable option. (2-05)
In "Tomorrowland", he told his children that Dick is his "nickname sometimes", although it would have been easy to make up a lie (4-13).
He told Faye that he's "tired of running." (4-10) and three episode later he settled down and proposed to Megan.

So, does this all fit together? Maybe Bert's philosophy was Don's as well for a long time: just play the role "the room" dictates to you, there is no past, there are no consequences ("I live like there's no tomorrow because there isn't one", 1-01).
Then he saw the consequences coming. Betty divorcing him (because of his behavior). Allison leaving the office (because of his behavior). Anna dying without Don talking to her for a last time (because he didn't call in time).
And there was Peggy. In "The Suitcase", he saw how he hurt her, but at the same time he felt a bond of friendship between them, that's been based on years of support he showed her (between all the abuse).
He realized the consequences his bad, as well as his good deeds have on others and ultimately himself. And then he tried to start anew, although this time he would not disclaim his past.

So... I guess there might be a real development, a real growth in Don's personality, although it will take a long time (7 seasons...). And it doesn't take the easy route and who knows what the marriage (?!) to Megan will bring with it.
Still, I have the hope - for Don as a character and for Mad Men as a show - that we will see growth. Although I love The Sopranos, getting beaten to death with the mantra "people don't change" isn't the message I want to see in every TV drama. "People can change but it takes a long time and many set-backs will happen" isn't a clichéd happy ending, it's a route that can be very satisfying and I think it's the one Mad Men will ultimately take.
There are 39 episodes left, let's the where the first two will take us tonight.

Season premiere tonight:
A Little Kiss

Pete and Roger butt heads, and Joan clashes with a houseguest.

Please note that it's a 2-hr season premiere tonight starting at 9. Next week Mad Men will be back to the usual schedule of 1-hr episodes airing at 10.

They better have 1 hr of that 2hr premiere dedicated to a recap - I don't remember anything that happened anymore.
Do your homework before tonight. ;)

- Slate.com takes a crack at Mad Men in 7 Minutes

Four seasons in seven minutes.

- Jace Lacob @ The Daily Beast: Before Season 5, Let's Remember Season 4
Who remembers what happened 17 months ago? No one! Jace Lacob re-watched Season 4 of Mad Men to remind you where we left Don Draper, Peggy Olson, Joan, and the rest of the characters.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Holy fucking shit. Mad Men today. First time in 17 months what world is this.

I really can't stand Glen kid is fucking creepy looking.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Season 4 ending is such a curve ball I can't stand it. Other then that season 4 is a awesome season. Five more hours till season 5.

Koodo

Banned
The AMC here is being heavenly and showing this at 7PM MST.

Will be watching at the same time as the East Coast.
g6DIz.gif

Excited for tonight, it took a while for me to get into the show but once season 3 hit I was hooked and everything has been amazing TV since then.

DoomGyver

I usually just buy the blurays and marathon the season but I'd rather not wait this time around. Does amc offer a stream of some sort?

That Slate video skipped a lot of stuff and has one fairly large error, (Peggy's sister is not raising her baby) plus some smaller ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom