• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madonna's MDNA |OT| Her exquisite oyster display and reductive garnishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it does kind of make sense though

if those are the songs madge thinks are good no wonder MDNA was so bad

it does kind of make sense though

if those are the songs madge thinks are good no wonder MDNA was so bad

Yep. As much as I like a big part of her discography, I have also posted before in this thread how I'm starting to wonder how good of an artist she is now.

The woman is probably the pop artist in the industry with the biggest freedom to manage her career herself without orders from her label. She choses producers, she choses what goes on the album and what is left off, she choses the set list for her tours.

So you gotta wonder what Madonna considers "good music" nowadays, if we end up with Hard Candy and MDNA.

However: apart from COAD and Ray Of Light, all of her albums have been a mix of good music surrounded by mediocre to horrible songs. So perhaps I'm jumping the gun based on her 2 latest albums.

However: apart from COAD and Ray Of Light, all of her albums have been a mix of good music surrounded by mediocre to horrible songs. So perhaps I'm jumping the gun based on her 2 latest albums.

You can't possibly be shading Madonna, True Blue, Like a Prayer and Erotica.

sphinx

the piano man
I gott say, when I listened to Ray of Light, I thought Madonna had just entered that stated of absolute grace that just a couple fo artists reach in their careers, kinda like when the beatles where releasing their album "Revolver" , took a turn and stopped doing commercial music to deliver complete works of art, even if a bit experimental.

When Music came out I was like," OMG, this will be like absolute true gold in the pop world" and it was merely o.k...then American Life came, ouch..

I still like her but would have loved if she had been reinventing the wheel with every record, I guess that was too much to ask.

You can't possibly be shading Madonna, True Blue, Like a Prayer and Erotica.

Okay, I admit, I'm not sure if I want to stand by that statement.

It's just that I'm generally not a fan of poppy 80s songs. Madonna's repertoire before the 90s doesn't get any play time from me. But that doesn't mean the songs are bad. As pop albums, stuff like True Blue and Like a Prayer are probably top notch. It's just that they're mostly not my thing. A quick look through their track list doesn't really show any real stinkers like Madonna's recent albums have. When it comes to Erotica, it probably also is an album void of real stinkers. I appreciate the "sex film music" concept of the album, but apart from a few songs, the majority of it is a bit boring to me.

But long story short, I'm not willing to say that those albums have horrible songs on them. It's just that the majority of them aren't my genre.

With MDNA and Hard Candy though, I can't help but feel that some songs are objectively* horrendous, no matter how much you deny that, Phono. :p

*I'm well aware that's impossible.

Even if I don't really care for GGW, I still love the video for it.

Madonna dancing along with those guys in high heels is fierce as fuck.

15r3P.gif

Koodo

Banned
The video made me like the song.

And I typically wouldn't find the model type in the video particularly attractive, but shit was hot.

15r3P.gif

Updated rumoured setlist

1. Act of Contrition
2. Girl Gone Wild (contains elements of “Material Girl“)
3. Revolver
4. Gang Bang
5. Papa Don't Preach (New Edit)

6. Video Interlude (contains elements of “Gang Bang“ and “Bang Bang“ by Nancy Sinatra)
7. Hung Up (Martin Solveig Remix)
8. I Don't Give a... (Rock Version with alternative ending)
9. Best Friend (contains elements of “Heartbeat“)
10. Express Yourself (contains elements of “She's not me“)

11. Give Me All Your Luvin' (contains elements of the Just Blaze Remix)
12. Turn up the Radio
13. Open Your Heart (contains elements of “Sagarra Jo“ by Kalakan)
14. Masterpiece (Kid Capri Remix)

15. Video Interlude (contains elements of “Nobody Knows Me“)
16. Justify My Love (William Orbit Remix)
17. Some Girls
18. Deeper and Deeper (contains elements of “I'm a Sinner“)
19. Secret
20. Love Spent (Acoustic Version)

21. Interlude (contains elements of “Celebration“, “Holiday“, “Girl Gone Wild“ and “Satisfaction“ by Benny Benassi)
22. Nothing Really Matters (New Edit)
23. Music (contains elements of “Party Rock Anthem“ and “I'm Sexy and I Know it“ by LMFAO)
24. Gambler (Rock Version)
25. Everybody (contains elements of “Hello“ by Martin Solveig feat. Dragonette)
26. I'm Addicted

27. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix)

10. Express Yourself (contains elements of “She's not me“)
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif

another one YAY

I. TRANSGRESSION

0. Act of Contrition (Video Introduction)
1. Girl Gone Wild (contains elements from “Material Girl”)
2. Revolver
3. Gang Bang (contains elements from “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen and “Bang Bang” by Nancy Sinatra)
4. Papa Don’t Preach (Edited Version with changed lyrics)

II. ELECTRIC ROCK-A-LOO

5. Nobody Knows Me (Video Interlude)
6. I Don’t Give A (Rock Version)
7. Hung Up
8. Best Friend (contains elements from “Heartbeat”)
9. Nothing Really Matters

III. EXSTACITY

10. Bedtime Story (contains elements from “Drowned World” and “Beautiful Stranger”)(Video Interlude)
11. Impressive Instant
12. I’m Addicted
13. Justify My Love (2012 William Orbit Remix, contains elements from “I Want You”)
14. Physical Attraction

IV. BASQUE

15. Intro/Masterpiece
16. Love Spent
17. Open Your Heart (contains elements of “Sagarra Jo“ by Kalakan)
18. Deeper and Deeper
19. Take a Bow
20. Falling Free

V. WOODSTOCK

21. Some Girls (contains elements from “She’s Not Me”) (Video Interlude)
22. Express Yourself (contains elements from “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga)
23. Give Me All Your Luvin’ (Just Blaze Remix)
24. Turn Up the Radio
25. I’m a Sinner (contains elements from “Gambler”)
Encore:
26. Everybody (contains elements from “Hello” by Martin Solveig)
27. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix)

At this point I'm ready to make my own set-list. What idiots make up this fake stuff. 27 songs? Why not 40?

I am agnostic, Madonna is by no means proof of god.

Madonna is proof god is a woman, duh!

Madonna Daybreak (UK) interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sW1SXtW4jE&feature=player_embedded#!

Interviewer is dreadfully annoying.

I like this one better than the US one. At least the guy injects some emotion into his questions. And *gasp* they actually talk about her album. They even *gasp* play some of her new music. Beside they actually give her an intro worthy of her Madgesty. Boy is a total sister lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
William Orbit is threatening to leak something.

Reading between the lines, and what he said after the first singles, it's safe to say him and Madonna didn't see eye to eye on this album.

My local paper is written by retards.

Nicki Minaj horrified by Madonna kiss

Nicki Minaj was horrified when Madonna kissed her during their Super Bowl half-time performance.

The 'Starships' rapper joined the 53-year-old singer on stage at the event in February and while the pair locked lips, Nicki, 29, insists she had didn't plan it.

During an appearance on 'The Graham Norton Show', she said: "You can't really call it making out. She kissed me but I didn't kiss her back. I wasn't expecting it and I was shocked like everyone else. I was shaking and thinking, 'Is this really happening, why is she doing this?'

"It was the strangest thing ... she had very soft lips."

Meanwhile, Nicki claims a voice in her head told her to delete her twitter account earlier this week after she got angry about her music being leaked online but Nicki has pleaded for her fans to stand by her.

She explained: "A voice in my head told me to delete my twitter and that's what I did. I had 11 million followers and I hope they will wait for me. I miss my Barbz, please wait for me."
Super Bowl? Horrified? Sigh....

ecurbj

I might have to pick up her new album and see what all the fuss is about. She is a legend for sure but I have never listened to her music before. Same with Lady GaGa.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It all depends: do you like more current-ish club/dance stuff? '80s pop? Smooth and sexy? She has a distinct arc of styles.

'83 - '86 is the fun, carefree pop that I'm partial to. This is the Madonna I fell in love with and continue to listen to religiously.
Like a Prayer in '89 toes the line between that and her transition into a more mature ~artist~ that spans up to '98 -- Ray of Light is probably best saved for last because it's arguably the most compelling, intelligent and genuinely great thing she released.
The '00s are mess, in my opinion. Some people liked Music; I'm so-so on it. American Life is awful (but not as bland and cliche as MDNA!). The rest involve Madonna pretty much deciding she's not interested in anything other than club hitz.

soco

It all depends: do you like more current-ish club/dance stuff? '80s pop? Smooth and sexy? She has a distinct arc of styles.

'83 - '86 is the fun, carefree pop that I'm partial to. This is the Madonna I fell in love with and continue to listen to religiously.
Like a Prayer in '89 toes the line between that and her transition into a more mature ~artist~ that spans up to '98 -- Ray of Light is probably best saved for last because it's arguably the most compelling, intelligent and genuinely great thing she released.
The '00s are mess, in my opinion. Some people liked Music; I'm so-so on it. American Life is awful (but not as bland and cliche as MDNA!). The rest involve Madonna pretty much deciding she's not interested in anything other than club hitz.

agree completely. post ray of light, the best is likely confessions.

Just dropping in here to give my update after many more listens of Madonna's album MDNA.

If I am to be honest and after careful consideration of her music past and present I have concluded that this album is in a word...

This is really hard for me to say...

♥♥♥ FLAWLESS ♥♥♥

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
That's a pretty awesome setlist. Given she has to toe the line between playing the hits that everyone's there to hear and also promoting her newest.

Except for Masterpiece. If you're gonna ballad it up from MDNA at least use the other one.

sphinx

the piano man
The album has really grown on me.

Too much filler but still good.

In the whole Madonna discography, I think MDNA is right in the middle, maybe a bit higher, I think what bothers the must is that it's superficial but it's your standard pop by the queen, don't expect ray of light or confessions and just enjoy it for what it is, maybe later on she will live through other experiences and she will come with something more striking than MDNA.

it happens with geniouses all of the time.

Beethoven wrote 32 piano sonatas some are better than others, but all have a place and all have the distinctive Beethoven geniality.

Same here. I see it that way, at least.

Gritty, unclear, low quality pictures, but what I can see from her, she's looking good. Ever since the MDNA promotion, her face seems a bit more natural and less puffy.

As I said in the GAP POP thread (but it got buried under a bunch of gifs and cattiness), the Gang Bang demo is interesting because it's very different from the final version. Neither version is great, but I do prefer the album version though. Has more punch. The last minute doesn't exist though... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom