• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madonna's MDNA |OT| Her exquisite oyster display and reductive garnishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
New tour rehearsal pics:

XyDec.jpg

TLjAX.jpg

N9jO3.jpg

DjT3S.jpg

rCwAF.jpg
Uc5MG.jpg

ysnLG.jpg
KUtpn.jpg

377RA.jpg

Gas masks to filter out the noxious fumes of the MDNA songs.

Kk6a8.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Fetish gear and gas masks? Where have I seen that look recently?

Caught you pre-edit, sis. We've seen gas masks on both the Drowned World and Confessions tours, and it's not like the fetishism and industrial influences are new to her performances, either.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Caught you pre-edit, sis. We've seen gas masks on both the Drowned World and Confessions tours, and it's not like the fetishism and industrial influences are new to her performances, either.

So your argument is that she's not copying Gaga because it's a greatest hits tour instead?

tumblr_lw262tsa0b1qcm71cj8.gif

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So your argument is that she's not copying Gaga because it's a greatest hits tour instead?

I couldn't care less who she may or may not be copying; I was merely pointing out that Madge has used these types of costumes and themes on previous tours (predating Gaga entirely, fwiw).

Upon seeing these pics, the first thing that popped into my head was "Huh, looks like a Lady Gaga video" but that's mainly because hers have been prominent for the past few years, so of course it's what comes to mind first. No biggie.

And I would much prefer a brassy, sassy, blonde greatest hits tour since Madonna's seal of quality flaked off over a decade ago.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I couldn't care less who she may or may not be copying; I was merely pointing out that Madge has used these types of costumes and themes on previous tours (predating Gaga entirely, fwiw).

Upon seeing these pics, the first thing that popped into my head was "Huh, looks like a Lady Gaga video" but that's mainly because hers have been prominent for the past few years, so of course it's what comes to mind first. No biggie.

And I would much prefer a brassy, sassy, blonde greatest hits tour since Madonna's seal of quality flaked off over a decade ago.

I'm not here for Confessions shade but I get what you mean tbh

But like I say in the Pop thread, it seems like her reaction to Gaga getting on her turf is to just dial up all this stuff again. Madonna 20 years ago would have reinvented herself and left Gaga looking like a has-been.

LOL @ the BASIC BITCHES in here.

tumblr_m18uoogPff1qhjm0go2_2501.gif

I particularly like how your put downs involve Madonna reclaiming the images Gaga clearly stole from Madge to begin with. What does that say about Gaga's SECOND RATE STANS willing to take THIRD RATE CHINESE BOOTLEGS from MOMMA BIGTURD??

GTFO with you REDUCTIVE DOUBLE STANDARDS.

tumblr_ly2wozhNLM1qj8kjjo1_500.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you've had your WIG SNATCHED, you shouldn't put a MOP HEAD on instead and claim YOU STILL HAVE IT.

If I had my wig snatches it should ain't gonna be by the likes of a LESSOR SISTURDS stan / troll.

Try again if you must. But do put more effort in it so I can at least enjoy your FUTURE FAILURES
e2734-1.gif

tumblr_m47nozn9wv1qkzr9fo1_500.gif

I'm not sure what to think about it.

A part of me also agrees with the people who say she shouldn't do it, because it can come off as petty and trying to stay relevant and all that jazz.

But on the other hand it really is harmless, and without the recent stan wars and the concept of "shade", I don't think there would be such a big deal about this. What if in the early 90s, there had been an incident with Cyndi Lauper releasing a song similar to Madonna's, and Madonna made a medley of both on her Blond Ambition tour. How would people have reacted back then. As bitchy and disapproving as today? I doubt it. It has gotten easy to hate on Madonna because her last two cd's have been mediocre at best, but this has nothing to do with that though, and people are just trying to fit this into their "Monsturd" or "Hagdonna" agenda.

And lastly, I think Madonna and Gaga are both laughing at the "controversy" this is creating. They're under the same label after all, and Madonna wouldn't use the song if she hadn't gotten approval to do so.

I'm not sure what to think about it.

A part of me also agrees with the people who say she shouldn't do it, because it can come off as petty and trying to stay relevant and all that jazz.

But on the other hand it really is harmless, and without the recent stan wars and the concept of "shade", I don't think there would be such a big deal about this. What if in the early 90s, there had been an incident with Cyndi Lauper releasing a song similar to Madonna's, and Madonna made a medley of both on her Blond Ambition tour. How would people have reacted back then. As bitchy and disapproving as today? I doubt it. It has gotten easy to hate on Madonna because her last two cd's have been mediocre at best, but this has nothing to do with that though, and people are just trying to fit this into their "Monsturd" or "Hagdonna" agenda.

And lastly, I think Madonna and Gaga are both laughing at the "controversy" this is creating. They're under the same label after all, and Madonna wouldn't use the song if she hadn't gotten approval to do so.

Oh it would have been seen as something fun, and tongue in check were it not for Madge's "reductive" quote. Shit was started by her.

I have gone from loving Madge wholeheartedly to feeling bad for her due to her post Ray of Light/Music. Much of American Life on is below her (barring some excellent Confessions work), and it's sad that's she's unaware of that.

Kyon

Banned
But the MDNA tour is still going to be one if the highest grossing tours in history.... I don't think the Queen has to do anything to stay relevant. Queens do as they please. And we will all deal tbh. She remains the Queen of Pop,she could walk around and do nothing on stage and still have her stans.She's done it all

Oh it would have been seen as something fun, and tongue in check were it not for Madge's "reductive" quote. Shit was started by her.

I have gone from loving Madge wholeheartedly to feeling bad for her due to her post Ray of Light music. Much of American Life on is below her, and it's sad that's she's unaware of that.

Eh... I just judge the music. And that has been subpar since COADF. But I don't particularly care for whatever else that is purposely created by her, or manufactured by the media, or by the internet. Like Gaga coming for her crown, that she should act her age, that she should stfu, that BTW is a ripoff, "reductive", .... It's all entertainment made for the internet masses. A recent example: if I read people claiming Madonna is copying Gaga based on 5 pictures of the MDNA tour stage that has leaked, all I can do is chuckle. I mean, really? The only thing you can conclude from them is that she is using a crucifix again. Everything else is just fabricated stan wars.

I think Madonna should have focused more on her music instead of her movie director's career (lol) and other side stuff, and I will give her flack for that. But the woman can do whatever the hell she wants besides that, and I won't give a shit if it's "good" or "bad". When I heard the Express Yourself - Born This Way medley, the first thing I noticed was that it sounded nice and that her live singing is pretty good. Not that "omg this is so petty of her the shade the shade!".

But the MDNA tour is still going to be one if the highest grossing tours in history.... I don't think the Queen has to do anything to stay relevant. Queens do as they please. And we will all deal tbh. She remains the Queen of Pop,she could walk around and do nothing on stage and still have her stans.She's done it all

If that what's she's happy with, she could have just toured on a GH bill and skipped that terrible cd. Yes, her past accomplishments will fuel a tour schedule for as long as she likes.

I expect more from her. She's fucking Madonna.

Eh... I just judge the music. And that has been subpar since COADF. But I don't particularly care for whatever else that is purposely created by her, or manufactured by the media, or by the internet. Like Gaga coming for her crown, that she should act her age, that she should stfu, that BTW is a ripoff, "reductive", .... It's all entertainment made for the internet masses. A recent example: if I read people claiming Madonna is copying Gaga based on 5 pictures of the MDNA tour stage that has leaked, all I can do is chuckle. I mean, really? The only thing you can conclude from them is that she is using a crucifix again.

I think Madonna should have focused more on her music instead of her movie director's career (lol) and other side stuff, and I will give her flack for that. But the woman can do whatever the hell she wants besides that, and I won't give a shit if it's "good" or "bad". When I heard the Express Yourself - Born This Way medley, the first thing I noticed was that she sounded pretty good live. Not that "omg this is so petty of her the shade the shade!".

Then we agree for the most part. but if she starts shit, you cannot be surprised if she gets that shit thrown back at her. This isn't the Internet or stans. It's directly from her.

If she's smart, she'll use this a way to mend bridges and be a bigger person.

Then we agree for the most part. but if she starts shit, you cannot be surprised if she gets that shit thrown back at her. This isn't the Internet or stans. It's directly from her.

Well yeah... I guess if she hadn't used the word reductive, the whole controversy would be even less warranted. But I still think the whole thing is stupid. Madonna has been asked a billion times what she thinks of Gaga, Gaga has been asked a billion times how she sees Madonna, and they've always been positive or just silent about each other. They've even done an SNL skit together to ridicule the supposed feud they should be having according to the internet. Gaga releases a song in the vein of Express Yourself: Gaga is asked repeatedly about the similarities and she answers that the accusations are "completely ridiculous" and that she did a homage to Whitney Houston, Madonna is asked about the similarities and says it's reductive. BAM THE INTERNET IS ON FIRE!

Asking Madonna to be "the bigger person", or shaming Gaga for copying a song (which I personally don't agree with is the case anyway), is just people feeling entitled to dictate whatever these women should be doing. Madonna is doing an EY-BTW medley, and Madonna herself will enjoy it, the people on her tour will enjoy it, Gaga will enjoy it, people with a sense of humor will enjoy it, and the rest of the internet will continue screaming bloody murder but will just have to deal either way.

tmarques

If that what's she's happy with, she could have just toured on a GH bill and skipped that terrible cd. Yes, her past accomplishments will fuel a tour schedule for as long as she likes.

I expect more from her. She's fucking Madonna.

Some of you need to stop claiming MDNA is an awful album as if it were a consensus. Most reviews have been positive.

tmarques

I absolutely hope she comes out and clearly says the medley is a homage. In fact, she should try and get Lady Gaga on stage at one of the NY shows - the meltdown would be incredible.

EDIT:
Ok, I watched the clip and the "She's Not Me" bit at the end kind of puts an end to any chance of Madonna taking the highroad.

She does look and sound pretty stiff in a lot of the video. But apparently it makes a big difference if you watch a tour (any tour) between opening night or much later on when every thing has been ironed and perfected.

One thing I can say: she looks great. Either the layer of make-up is an inch thick, or she has cleaned up quite well compared to, say, 2 year ago.

145500291-madonna-performs-on-stage-during-her-mdna-gettyimages.jpg

Mato

She looks fine when she's just standing there, that's not it. The problem is how soulless is the way she moves and sings. She seems exhausted and bored. She doesn't look like she's having fun or she believes the words of her songs.

Kyon

Banned
This is what irritates me. There is a BIG difference between watching a tour on YouTube and actually attending. You just can't judge a tour by fancams sorry. People always talk shit in the internet but for the people who actually experience it they usually always say something different

She looks fine when she's just standing there, that's not it. The problem is how soulless is the way she moves and sings. She seems exhausted and bored. She doesn't look like she's having fun or she believes the words of her songs.

I think that is the problem with her music nowadays. The songs are disconnected from her. The imagery is interesting to an extent, but it does seem like she's trying to "one-up" the pretenders, as well as reach back into the days when she was so fresh and gave a fuck. I love Madonna, but MDNA is just bad. It's an incoherent, sloppy mess compared to Erotica, Prayer, Ray of Light, Bedtime Stories (for me), etc.

I hate to see it, especially when I flip the switch on my SL1500 and listen to Madonna vinyls. She needs to rise above and stop reacting. Maybe that's just the consequence of growing old. At least I have Truth or Dare to watch when I want to remember her in her prime.

Madonna I love you!

sphinx

the piano man
er.. sorry to bump this but I am curious.

I just listened on the radio (Germany here) a report on Madonna's last concert in London, apparently it happened yesterday.

The reported said it was a catastrophe, it all sounded very suspicious because he made it look like she had a "Whitney Houston-Career is over" kind of concert. The reasons where a bit akward, like complains from fans that she had to resort to stripping being over 50 years old and other stuff (songs, etc) lacking in quality...

I am too lazy to look for stuff on the net, as I am not that very much into Madonna's errands but can anyone shed some light?

gerg

er.. sorry to bump this but I am curious.

I just listened on the radio (Germany here) a report on Madonna's last concert in London, apparently it happened yesterday.

The reported said it was a catastrophe, it all sounded very suspicious because he made it look like she had a "Whitney Houston-Career is over" kind of concert. The reasons where a bit akward, like complains from fans that she had to resort to stripping being over 50 years old and other stuff (songs, etc) lacking in quality...

I am too lazy to look for stuff on the net, as I am not that very much into Madonna's errands but can anyone shed some light?

The British newspaper The Guardian reviewed the event. (You can read their review here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jul/18/madonna-hyde-park-london-review)

It doesn't sound like the show was an entire disaster - it seems that the issues with volume are out of her control - but their impression isn't exactly glowing either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom