• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Harry_Manback

Neo Member
Palmer_v1 said:
Sarcasm?

This game is about a lot more than just individual shooting skills.
No sarcasm, I totally agree. My point was that alot of teams get "stuck" trying to shoot/snipe S.V.E.R down from their A and B, and that just won't work. They'll just heal up and continue their target practice.

jorma

is now taking requests
I think both the IGN and the 1up reviews are fair even though they reach very different conclusions. I wonder if these different conclusions might be attributable to 1up obviously rolling a SVER character while IGN did not.

Billen

Banned
jorma said:
I think both the IGN and the 1up reviews are fair even though they reach very different conclusions. I wonder if these different conclusions might be attributable to 1up obviously rolling a SVER character while IGN did not.

Interesting idea, that. Pretty obvious that a new player, be it a reviewer or not, playing for themselves would have a completely different story depending on what side they went for.

Liberty4all

Banned
Corran Horn said:
:lol :lol
Just beat sver in domination...this feels so weird

I can't believe I missed it. I had to log abit earlier than usual, wife wanted to watch a movie. BLEH

I was noticing last night while playing alot of Raven are starting to specialize in high end equipment. I specced the 2nd tier rocket launcher and it makes killing SVER in bunker turrets a breeze.

Also Raven has quickly learned that you don't have to hold ALL the domination points ... just 2 or 3. It works really well getting multiple squads to gang bang one or two points.

jorma

is now taking requests
Billen said:
Interesting idea, that. Pretty obvious that a new player, be it a reviewer or not, playing for themselves would have a completely different story depending on what side they went for.

Yeah, when you play in a group you can have mad fun even though you eventually lose, playing alone with randoms makes it a lot more frustrating, frustration that is reduced with a win.

Also, when you lose a lot your victories become so much sweeter! I'm so jelaous i didnt get to play the domination win over SVER last night :X

andycapps

So RavenGAF beat SVERGAF last night? :lol So awesome!

I made the horrible mistake of starting to play MAG at 8, when 24 was on at 9 and I was thinking I'd just play until 9 and then pick back up after 24. No, I played through 24 and will have to catch that on Hulu sometime. Had quite a few matches with RavenGAF and we won a couple times against SVER, probably 50/50 last night.

Oh and about the review scores, this is going to be one of those games that reviews pretty poorly among the gaming press that doesn't spend a ton of time on one game because they have to "beat" it and get on to the next game to review. Also, pretty sure most of them are not rolling in clans, and that's where this game is meant to be played. For me, this is the closest thing I've played to a PC shooter on a console ever.

I'm thinking of doing a respec tonight. I may add a lot to electronics since it seems useful for the squad and not a lot of people use the jammers from what I can tell.

Anyone else try them out? I guess I'd take an xp hit since using them will provide no xp compared to carrying various grenades and mines.

Liberty4all

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Take out the AA guns for airstrikes. Mortars, well, fix your mortars.

I'm noticing a different Valor now. I honestly believe that the good SVER players are going Valor, or even Raven to prove a point or something.

Disagree.

I believe that Valor and Raven are starting to do abit better mainly as a result of hardcore clans in each of them adapting strategies that work.

Alot of us are starting to get ranked up enough to actually unlock some of the really important high end weaponry that are basically nesseceties on SVER maps (2nd tier rocket launcher, poison grenades, etc).

It is not because the "mad skillz" SVER players are joining our ranks lol

Liberty4all

Banned
Click said:
That game was such bullshit.
We held down our quadrant easily and so did most of the other platoons.

But because C was held for most of the game, they won.

We probably should have went over there to help C but I was too lazy / tired to try.

I think a great strategy would be to bring 2 or 3 platoons and completely overwhelm 1 quadrant of the map, then hold a letter or 2 for the entire match. This strategy would guarantee a victory almost everytime for the attacking team. Problem is, trying to get 2 platoons to do this would be near impossible.

Raven already does this and has been doing this for at least the last few days. Generally this is coordinated on command chat. We learned a long time very quickly it's the only way to win on SVER domination. You don't have to hold all the points, just cram as many bodies as possible into the two easiest points to hold.

edit: sorry I guess I should have got the last 3 posts out into one post.

Kowak

Banned
raven are finally getting there shit together.

now that we have finally destroyed sver, it would be nice to play a valor domination for the first time(been playing for 40 hours since tuesday). only played a couple of valor acquisition in the first couple of days.

p.s. doubt i will be on tonight, going to watch a footy match the other side of london to me so will be back late and then got to be up early for week.

Keep destroying the SVER scum RavenGAF

Wes

venison crêpe
Well I've played 5 games so far today. 4 against SVER of course due to the population. Been locked out in each of them.

Do SVER really think there's not much of a map layout difference, particularly around their bunkers, between their domination map and Raven's?

tcs_vdub

Neo Member
Hey all I've pretty much have had it with MW2......So being a long time SOCOM player I decided to pick up MAG, Glad I did!! I'm just looking for a clan who really wants to play, Like I do....Strategy! I'm in the central time zone and play after 7 PMish if your looking for a member im your dude! Just send me a request on the PSN make sure you put something about MAG in the comments. My PSN ID is : Coop. The original Coop... not Coop1 or Coop1974 Just the first Coop on the PSN!

Liberty4all

Banned
tcs_vdub said:
Hey all I've pretty much have had it with MW2......So being a long time SOCOM player I decided to pick up MAG, Glad I did!! I'm just looking for a clan who really wants to play, Like I do....Strategy! I'm in the central time zone and play after 7 PMish if your looking for a member im your dude! Just send me a request on the PSN make sure you put something about MAG in the comments. My PSN ID is : Coop. The original Coop... not Coop1 or Coop1974 Just the first Coop on the PSN!

If you go Raven look for me online tonight and I'll send you a clan invite. You can add me over PSN as well (PSN - Bamelin).

jorma

is now taking requests
tcs_vdub said:

This is where you go:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385029

PuMa

commish said:
Using assault rifle, my k:d ratio was probably 1:2 at best, and I'd get about 200 to 250 points a game in domination.

Switching to the light machine gun, my k:d is about 3:1 and I get about 500 to 750 points per game.

I love mag, but the weapon balance is pretty bad. Using an assault rifle is foolhardy when the lmg's are so amazing.

Not me man. I love me my battle rifle. Now that I've been rockin the suppressor, I'm constantly getting 10+ killstreaks. If I'm heavy into some CC fire, I switch to the LMG though for sure.

TheFallen

Wes said:
Well I've played 5 games so far today. 4 against SVER of course due to the population. Been locked out in each of them.

Do SVER really think there's not much of a map layout difference, particularly around their bunkers, between their domination map and Raven's?
It isn't as pronounced as many make it out to be. The only real issue with the SVER domination map is the single area that has several bunkers lined up with attackers essentially running into a firing squad or shooting gallery (as pictured in the comic). But that's not the entire map and half of the team is in a different area. One that is easily destroyed if you can get 1 or 2 APCs up to the gate and then move quickly to the AAA. As we saw yesterday, a couple matches had Raven and Valor not even send their troops to the first area and simply crushed us.

Problem with rifles, while more accurate overall, is the game massive size. Theres just not enough bullets in the rifles to deal with volume of enemies :lol

Whenever I use the rifle I get a couple kills and need a reload but usually get murdered or have to run the hell away while with LMG you can just keep going Rambo and score ton of kills.

TheFallen said:
It isn't as pronounced as many make it out to be. The only real issue with the SVER domination map is the single area that has several bunkers lined up with attackers essentially running into a firing squad or shooting gallery

Which is about 1/3 of the map, the game is all about all the sides being able to pull their weight to be able to win in that mode especially, that area causes a log jam with how difficult it is to get past and prevents the faction from getting enough damage in time to win. Proper team work is needed to get by it, but an opposing team with good coordination also knows how to counter and easily defend that area.

Wes

venison crêpe
Hmmm well it is probably my Raven losing experience which is tinting my view somewhat. Could really do with some overhead maps so they can be properly examined.

I know one thing annoying about the Raven domination map: the anti-air being on the ship. Unlike SVER's maps (to my experience) a squad can run directly to the AA without having to go directly through/past a bunker.

andycapps

BattleMonkey said:
Problem with rifles, while more accurate overall, is the game massive size. Theres just not enough bullets in the rifles to deal with volume of enemies :lol

Whenever I use the rifle I get a couple kills and need a reload but usually get murdered or have to run the hell away while with LMG you can just keep going Rambo and score ton of kills.

This is true. I respec'd and got the LMG with the foregrip and the reflex sight or whatever it's called. Is pretty awesome. Pretty satisfying defending a cooling tower and seeing 5 SVER running towards me and gunning them all down easily from a distance.

Also, that secondary RPG that Raven has is awesome. Lockon on the turrets from quite a distance away is pretty great, as is taking out tanks that are charging Raven's points. We could quite put it together last night attacking on that map but we got fairly close and planted it a couple times on that bunker. Bad thing was that SVER had an APC pulled up behind the bunker to cover and to respawn if we took out that bunker.

Been fun playing with RAVENGAF over the last few days. We had some good games for sure. I'll be getting 1 or 2 more lvls today, i forget what I need, but then i'll have poison grenades. Will be playing before and after LOST probably.

Wes said:
SVER had all our bunkers and towers down by 25minute mark. FML.

Yeah, that was a bit of a low point. We had some hard luck in the SVER sabo game too. There is nothing more annoying than making a good push on your end and seeing nary a squabble for the other point in a game of sabotage.

Fixed1979

A few good games last night, the win over SVER was certainly a nice relief, and to do it so quickly was icing. Looking forward to playing again tonight, it'll be broken up by the hockey game though...Go 'Nucks!

BattleMonkey said:
Problem with rifles, while more accurate overall, is the game massive size. Theres just not enough bullets in the rifles to deal with volume of enemies

That's the problem I'm running into now, a clip of 25 means alot of re-loading and for some reason I'm having a harder time remembering to re-load in this game than any other FPS (where it's usually automatic). I really don't want to respec again so I'm just going to have to suck it up.

Fixed1979

Wes said:
I know one thing annoying about the Raven domination map: the anti-air being on the ship. Unlike SVER's maps (to my experience) a squad can run directly to the AA without having to go directly through/past a bunker.

We had it worked out pretty good last night, covering both the bunker and the AA was working pretty well. Eventually you're going to get overwhelmed though.

Wes

venison crêpe
It's annoying how accurate the LMG's are for non LMG users :lol
I mean I see people runing around like Rambo killing people left right and centre without reloading, and then reviving the rest of their mates.

Perhaps LMG's should have had their CC increased to make it more beneficial to take rifles. Last game I played my squad was entirely LMG users outside of 2 guys. You can easily carry a rpg, higher tier lmg, and heavy armor as well as some extras, probably should be more restricted in amount of gear you get if you take the LMG's.

Fixed1979

The LMG/medic combo is crazy, that's what makes me want to switch the most. But I'm going to stick to my guns and ride it out.

sk3tch

How do you look at your stats on MAG.com? I can't figure it out. Maybe it could be added to the OP...

Fixed1979 said:
The LMG/medic combo is crazy, that's what makes me want to switch the most. But I'm going to stick to my guns and ride it out.

This is what I roll...insane. LMG + reflex scope + foregrip, medic + improved resuscitation + improved healing.

sk3tch

Fixed1979 said:
What's the cost to equip the second LMG?

5 points, it's the last tier. Great site for planning (it's in the OP, too) - http://www.maggametools.com/skills. I am plenty happy with the default LMG for now. I will go for stability upgrades, etc. with the default LMG.

Is the PSK MG worth the 5 points, folks? Or use the stock RTK-74 (S.V.E.R.)?

Liberty4all

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
What's the cost to equip the second LMG?

On Raven it's an extra 200 I believe (costs 800cc)

sk3tch said:
5 points, it's the last tier. Great site for planning (it's in the OP, too) - http://www.maggametools.com/skills. I am plenty happy with the default LMG for now. I will go for stability upgrades, etc. with the default LMG.

Is the PSK MG worth the 5 points, folks? Or use the stock RTK-74 (S.V.E.R.)?

Personally I don't think the PSK is worth the 5 points. I had it specced and dropped it after a few nights.

Pros:
The gun is deadly medium to short range, literally mowing down hostiles. You can definately take down a group of enemies you get the jump on quicker than the regular LMG
It takes less bullets to drop somebody (more damage per bullet I think)
Easier to take out turrets and APC's
Sound effects of gun are much more manly

Cons:
rate of fire is less than the 1st tier LMG
Accuracy isn't as good as 1st tier LMG
Range isn't as good as 1st tier LMG (I believe for me this was due to recoil and accuracy issues)
Gun is heavy as hell

Basically for me the big issue was weight. I like to roll with Heavy Armour and a few items/goodies, but with the PSK I found myself having to make too many compromises with my loadouts and having to drop attachments (which affected my accuracy big time).

The regular LMG in my opinion is *almost* as good as the PSK (as good with attachments), weighs less which allows for more versatiliy, and perhaps most importantly the regular LMG is nto going to cost you 5 precious skill points.

Spend the 5 points on the 2nd tier rocket launcher. It's far more important (especially on SVER maps) and not enough Raven carry it.

andycapps

BattleMonkey said:
Has anyone gotten the grenade launcher on a rifle? I've never seen anyone use one, wondering if it is even worth the trouble.

I had somebody use it on me yesterday and it was obviously an instant kill, no bleeding out. So yeah, it works and I've seen at least one person using it. Seems like everyone is either doing LMG or sniper, though.

Lince

Banned
I agree with the somewhat low review scores, playing with a full GAF squad turns the game into a solid 8.5 for me (-1.5 for framerate and lag issues on Domination) but most players are going solo or just roll with a couple of friends... for them the MAG experience can be quite frustrating. For instance, some of my Spanish friends are complaining that the squad/platoon leaders and OICs are always issuing orders in English and they barely understand them (not that they can't speak English, but the English language and accent we learn/get used at school is not what we usually hear through our headsets, British academic English FTW) so they stick by the default FRAGO all the time or just go the boring lone wolf path. MAG is a game where communication is key, but when you're being put in a squad full of US players and you don't understand or speak English fluent enough what can you do? I'm always cursing the medic that run past me without trying to heal me or that guy not doing the job he's supposed to do to help the squad... but the question is, does he understand me? or more importantly, is my English good enough for him to understand me? clearly not.

Also, MAG servers are in the US so we Europeans got the ping disadvantage... what we have here is a hardcore FPS specially designed for the English-speaking community with no option for regional matchmaking. I'm really enjoying it with my GAFe friends and it's my favorite online shooter second to KZ2... but at the same time I understand why my University friends are going back to MW2 or other games. MW2 PS3 version is the top selling game after so many weeks, MAG was #3 last week but this week is sadly #24 and going down.

wud

Neo Member
Lince said:
I agree with the somewhat low review scores, playing with a full GAF squad turns the game into a solid 8.5 for me (-1.5 for framerate and lag issues on Domination) but most players are going solo or just roll with a couple of friends... for them the MAG experience can be quite frustrating. For instance, some of my Spanish friends are complaining that the squad/platoon leaders and OICs are always issuing orders in English and they barely understand them (not that they can't speak English, but the English language and accent we learn/get used at school is not what we usually hear through our headsets, British academic English FTW) so they stick by the default FRAGO all the time or just go the boring lone wolf path. MAG is a game where communication is key, but when you're being put in a squad full of US players and you don't understand or speak English fluent enough what can you do? I'm always cursing the medic that run past me without trying to heal me or that guy not doing the job he's supposed to do to help the squad... but the question is, does he understand me? or more importantly, is my English good enough for him to understand me? clearly not.

Also, MAG servers are in the US so we Europeans got the ping disadvantage... what we have here is a hardcore FPS specially designed for the English-speaking community with no option for regional matchmaking. I'm really enjoying it with my GAFe friends and it's my favorite online shooter second to KZ2... but at the same time I understand why my University friends are going back to MW2 or other games. MW2 PS3 version is the top selling game after so many weeks, MAG was #3 last week but this week is sadly #24 and going down.

just bought the game to get away from MW2 issues

la la la im not listening

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
So you say you don't enjoy my sweet Jamaican accent
:(

:lol

I'm not talking about myself, just trying to explain what the average PS3 player over here is experiencing with MAG. Playing Suppression where no talk/orders are needed gets boring so fast.

wud said:
just bought the game to get away from MW2 issues

la la la im not listening

MAG is leagues better than MW2 in every imaginable way, are you joining SVER?

Lince said:

It's not really getting low scores though.

sk3tch

Lince said:

I hear you...but honestly, I've played ONLY sabotage since day 1 (haven't got into the other modes yet). In sab, it's not nearly as important to have the command structure in place as most anyone can figure out - defend/attack A/B/C. So my counterpoint would be there is plenty there for everyone. I do, however, understand that their experience is limited so it does make it hard to justify $60...but only sabotage has kept me entertained for over 30 hours (beta/tourney/retail) so I certainly am getting my money's worth.

wud

Neo Member
Lince said:

yeah my friends just bought the game aswell, told me SVER always wins, plus I like the idea of using non-futuristic weaponary (they sound like the russians of MAG :lol)

Don't think I'll be joining in NeoGAF games yet, going back to uni in 2-weeks and MY GIRLFRIEND is coming to stay next week, so im going to be PS3-less for a good couple of months :(

Wes

venison crêpe
Lince said:

Like SVER needs any more people.

I rarely play against Valor now because there's so many freaking SVER players.

sk3tch

Bamelin said:
*snip tons of good info*
The regular LMG in my opinion is *almost* as good as the PSK (as good with attachments), weighs less which allows for more versatiliy, and perhaps most importantly the regular LMG is nto going to cost you 5 precious skill points.

Spend the 5 points on the 2nd tier rocket launcher. It's far more important (especially on SVER maps) and not enough Raven carry it.

Thanks a lot, bud...real good insight there. I've already re-spec'd once (real idiot move - wanted to improve the LMG and I went with the Assault tree thinking that matched better than the Heavy tree...DOH!) so that saves me some grief!

trk_rkd

Banned
wud said:
Don't think I'll be joining in NeoGAF games yet, going back to uni in 2-weeks and MY GIRLFRIEND is coming to stay next week, so im going to be PS3-less for a good couple of months :(

Unfortunately these are also my two reasons for not buying MAG, although in my case you have to make the slight adjustment from "my girlfriend is coming to stay next week" to "i've moved back in with my parents". i frickin' loved the beta but unfortunately now just ain't the right time for me to be getting into a game that'd probably chew up at least a dozen hours a week (beta was like frickin' crack to me). i almost feel bad for not supporting this great game in the face of fucking MW2...

Top Bottom