• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

andycapps

BattleMonkey said:
It's not really getting low scores though.

Yep, a 4/5 from Giant Bomb is a great score as is the 1UP score. It's definitely getting mixed reviews though, and like I said, that's understandable as the press is probably not playing in a clan or playing for many, many hours and that's what this game needs to be fully appreciated. If you're not going to put that into it, then you won't like it.

Like others have said, I was sold on the game through the Giant Bomb quick looks and seeing more about it.

Lince

Banned
faridmon said:
so i want to play with the same team as you guys, wht do i need to do?

I was going to reply "join SVER and PM me your PSN id so I can send you a clan invite" but now I'm afraid of Raven/Valor GAF police :lol

faridmon

Lince said:
I was going to reply "join SVER and PM me your PSN id so I can send you a clan invite" but now I'm afraid of Raven/Valor GAF police :lol
right, but what can i do? i have added it the mtch up thread, anything else?

Liberty4all

Banned
sk3tch said:
Thanks a lot, bud...real good insight there. I've already re-spec'd once (real idiot move - wanted to improve the LMG and I went with the Assault tree thinking that matched better than the Heavy tree...DOH!) so that saves me some grief!

It's a matter of preference mind you. I have some clan mates that swear by the 3rd tier LMG. With that said, they basically have to use their pyjama's as armour (mesh), and don't get to carry any extra's aside from a med kit.

I feel naked without my heavy armour on and at the very least, a smoke grenade.

I still think that the regular LMG is SO good right now it's not worth specing the 5 points for the 3rd tier LMG. I fully expect Zipper will nerf the regular LMG very soon, so I'm riding that gravy train for as long as I can.

Also Athleticsm is highly underated. All of the bonuses from that line have no effect on your weight ... meaning you will feel their advantage (and get your skill points worth) in EVERY game you play no matter your loadout. I'm going down the Athleticsm line now, goal is to get the extra health buff.

Electronics is also a very underused tech line. There are huge advantages to entire squads that have one guy with Motion Sensor.

Got the game today and played about 8 matches (with Raven). Really liking it but I can see how it becomes much better with team work so cant wait to join gaf clan with my silly danish accent when i get a little better.

My first kill in the game was a team kill, stabbing a dude in the back, damm killzone 2 controls making me try to aim with that button. :lol

Bamelin said:
Electronics is also a very underused tech line. There are huge advantages to entire squads that have one guy with Motion Sensor.

How does the motion sensor work? Does it have to be held in your hand to have any effect? or can it just sit in your inventory?

Lince said:
I was going to reply "Yeah, if you want to play on the MAG equivalent of a "Very Easy" difficulty setting" but since you're afraid (as you should be), I'll let it slide.

Liberty4all

Banned
surefire1982 said:
How does the motion sensor work? Does it have to be held in your hand to have any effect? or can it just sit in your inventory?

I know it makes hostiles visible on the entire squad's radar, any of which who are moving faster than crouch-walk. If they stop moving they drop off the radar. Very useful for knowing which direction a big group is coming from, or for helping squad leads to set up arty strikes.

Not sure how it works in terms of deployment. I assumed it was something you plant ...

Milk Lizard said:
My first kill in the game was a team kill, stabbing a dude in the back, damm killzone 2 controls making me try to aim with that button. :lol
fk1yqe.png

Wes

venison crêpe
Milk Lizard said:
Oh and I really dont get this faction system, can you change later ? I kind of want to try SVER.

Either have to delete you current character or wait until you get to level 60 to have the faction change option (where you get a +10% xp bonus too)

Milk Lizard said:
Oh and I really dont get this faction system, can you change later ? I kind of want to try SVER.

You have to delete character and start from scratch, or if you get max level in the game you can choose to go to Veteran mode which lets you do another character from another faction.

Fixed1979

BattleMonkey said:
Has anyone gotten the grenade launcher on a rifle? I've never seen anyone use one, wondering if it is even worth the trouble.

I don't know how good the splash damage is on it, but I have been killed a few times by someone using one. I never see them coming or where the guy is, but sure enough I'm dead and waiting for the spawn.

I've been putting it off for awhile as I'd like to know how many grenades you can carry and how much of a detriment it will be on stability as I'm assuming it takes the same slot as the foregrip.

Wes said:
Either have to delete you current character or wait until you get to level 60 to have the faction change option (where you get a +10% xp bonus too)

Ah ok, that kind of sucks.

But i guess making a new psn user will do the trick.

Bamelin said:
I know it makes hostiles visible on the entire squad's radar, any of which who are moving faster than crouch-walk. If they stop moving they drop off the radar. Very useful for knowing which direction a big group is coming from, or for helping squad leads to set up arty strikes.

Not sure how it works in terms of deployment. I assumed it was something you plant ...

I plan on respec'ing to electronics tonight, so I'll give the update on how it works. For some reason I think I had it in the beta but can't remember how I used it.

Wes

venison crêpe
Violater said:
Cant wait till some of you guys lvl up and veteran mode to SVER and see just how "easy" it is.

Once I go Veteran I'm just going to rejoin Raven (without the huge respect handicap I've collected during my time :lol ). I have no desire to play for another side at the moment.

faridmon

Level 7 field support, which upgrade should be better for my low level skill? i have a a rubbish rifle and a rubbish weapon.

sorry for the basic outline.

uraldix

polyh3dron said:
I was going to reply "Yeah, if you want to play on the MAG equivalent of a "Very Easy" difficulty setting" but since you're afraid (as you should be), I'll let it slide.

Yeah go into either Raven or Valor and play in Whiner mode :D

faridmon said:
Level 7 field support, which upgrade should be better for my low level skill? i have a a rubbish rifle and a rubbish weapon.

I like the LMG. I find the LMG good for short to medium range. Upgrade to the tripod if you like to lie prone or grip if you stand most of the time. The stability upgrades will help the most. You could do the same with the A/R if you prefer medium to long range.

darkwing

faridmon said:

go Medical Kit + Revive, your squad will thank you for it

ibu

Just got back from school and I cannot wait to get back on, first the pre-requisite conditioning (military prep). 100 push ups and situps (straight, Royal Marine spec). Then some squats and leg exercises for the 'Runners Knee' ailments then back online!!!

Anyone from SVER on?

faridmon

darkwing said:
go Medical Kit + Revive, your squad will thank you for it
already, done most of the med kit upgrade, which upgrade gun is better for skill i am now.

The thig is, i keep shooting people but the hardly die.

and yeah you are talkng to an FPS begginner (last FPS game i hevily played was Nightfire on the PS)

Just picked up my steel case collectors edition. Looking forward to spending some quality online time with this ambitious game.

Asked for clan invite in the official MAG:pMC thread.

See you around - or your behind... :D

darkwing

faridmon said:
already, done most of the med kit upgrade, which upgrade gun is better for skill i am now.

The thig is, i keep shooting people but the hardly die.

and yeah you are talkng to an FPS begginner (last FPS game i hevily played was Nightfire on the PS)

I'd go for the Foregrip if you are planning the Assault Rifle, although the LMG is a bit OP at the moment

faridmon

darkwing said:
I'd go for the Foregrip if you are planning the Assault Rifle, although the LMG is a bit OP at the moment
what do you mean by that?

i am improving at the moment I always come across people who just won't revive you. It gets annoying especaly if your playing Sabotage.

faridmon said:
what do you mean by that?

i am improving at the moment I always come across people who just won't revive you. It gets annoying especaly if your playing Sabotage.
OP = over powered

Some people only have the first aid gun and can't resuscitate you (or the med gun without the resuscitation skill unlocked). It's also not possible to target soldiers submerged in water.

TheFatOne

faridmon said:
are there enough gaffers at any point in the day who can play?

for example, now

On the bottom left on your screen you should see dog tags. It has a number. The number represents how many people in your clan are currently on.

wud

Neo Member
right someone just break the news to me now -- I'm from the UK, have decent enough broadband with all the ports open, no firewall. Will I be at a serious disadvantage in this game? Is the lag as bad as Call of Duty Modern Warfare "oh lets stand behind this crate all match and not move" 2?

ibu

wud said:
right someone just break the news to me now -- I'm from the UK, have decent enough broadband with all the ports open, no firewall. Will I be at a serious disadvantage in this game? Is the lag as bad as Call of Duty Modern Warfare "oh lets stand behind this crate all match and not move" 2?

You should be fine... whats the BB speed?

Oh and can someone invite me to the match on SVER so I dont get cut off after the match ends? Cheers

I really enjoy this here game. Being on a squad with somebody who issues FRAGOs makes a huge difference. Lots of fun playing with the Valor guys.

peetfeet

Sorry SVER Gaf, i knew it was too good to be true getiing 5.5 errors every game now. Will come back later and see if its any better. GRR.

KZObsessed

wud said:

There's some lag, especially in domination where it feels like you're getting shot behind walls and knifed by people who have already walked passed you but overall it's not as bad as other games. It isn't as bad as MW2 which is atrocious sometimes.

Enco

I fairly enjoyed the beta but doubt I'll pick it up.

Pros:
No lag
Good concept

Cons:
Horrible interface (menus & HUD)
No guidance
Don't see any large scale battles (may be bad)

faridmon

Enco said:
I fairly enjoyed the beta but doubt I'll pick it up.

Pros:
No lag
Good concept

Cons:
Horrible interface (menus & HUD)
No guidance
exactly my problem, i sometimes can't see the enemies even though they are foots infront of me. and radar is jus a big distraction and most of the time ever tell you where the enemies are.

Vinci

Danish
faridmon said:
exactly my problem, i sometimes can't see the enemies even though they are foots infront of me. and radar is jus a big distraction and most of the time ever tell you where the enemies are.

That's because most people in MAG move very slowly so they don't appear on radar - or they have the talent that gives them improved stealth.

Enco said:

Have you even played any of the 256 player matches? Kind of hard to not see some of the crazy scale in the game unless your just stuck in the same starting spawn area getting beat by bunkers :lol

Violater

Vinci said:
That's because most people in MAG move very slowly so they don't appear on radar - or they have the talent that gives them improved stealth.

Annihilated a complete Raven squad the other night using stealth/silencer/knife.

sk3tch

While I was on last night S.V.E.R. was #2 in global population by a decent margin...so argue what you want about advantage/disadvantage but it's not like S.V.E.R. has 60% of the pop.

KooPaL

Hey Guys! I am new on the board and have been waiting for an approval ever since i got my PS3 + Uncharted 2 which was I think on October. I joined GAF thinking I would be playing with you guys instantaneously but I guess a lot of people actually try to join this board so it took 4 months to get approved haha.

Fast forward, so I got the game yesterday and am having a hard time picking a faction. Are there any significant differences from each in terms of technology // skill points? Thanks for the reply in advance and will probably choose a faction by tonight and will reply to the PMC thread.

KooPaL said:
Hey Guys! I am new on the board and have been waiting for an approval ever since i got my PS3 + Uncharted 2 which was I think on October. I joined GAF thinking I would be playing with you guys instantaneously but I guess a lot of people actually try to join this board so it took 4 months to get approved haha.

Fast forward, so I got the game yesterday and am having a hard time picking a faction. Are there any significant differences from each in terms of technology // skill points? Thanks for the reply in advance and will probably choose a faction by tonight and will reply to the PMC thread.

as much as people want to argue that SVER has the better defense when it comes to the maps... all the clans are generally same it's more about aesthetics then anything else.

I picked SVER because I liked their look, etc.

Top Bottom