• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Arnie

Just read the 1up review which was a pleasant surprise compared to some other reviews I've read. The game itself is for obvious reasons extremely polarising. The experience you have changes from game to game and that can lead to mixed results for reviewers. I understand the critics who think the game can occasionally try slightly too hard in pushing for a scale you rarely see, however when the game works, and the scale is apparent, there is nothing that comes close.

In other news I reached level 16 today and won my first game as squad leader, commanding an elite team of 7 veterans, all communicating. We were pushed back on Domination to our fallback building in F, but we defended it valiantly for 17 minutes without taking any damage, our engineers patching up the gate when necessary.

One thing I have noticed is that the game leaves me fatigued. After a match I feel weak and tired due to the intensity of the battles you have to persist through. And some of you guys play the game way too much. :D

KZObsessed

Violater said:
Cant wait till some of you guys lvl up and veteran mode to SVER and see just how "easy" it is.

I find it a little amusing how people boasting about choosing "hard mode" continually bitch about how hard it is :p

BruceWayneIII said:
Just picked up my steel case collectors edition. Looking forward to spending some quality online time with this ambitious game.

Asked for clan invite in the official MAG:pMC thread.

See you around - or your behind... :D

I'll add you to the clan after dinner, if it's not been done already.

Lince

Banned
good games SVER GAF, we destroyed "hard mode" Raven and Valor on their own maps, lets keep playing Directives and get the trophy !

andycapps

Violater said:
I am a leaf in the wind, you latex wearing pansies don't stand a chance.

Psshhh.. Real men wear
pink
latex. :lol

They really do need to add an option for clans to battle it out with each other.

ibu

BattleMonkey said:
Have you even played any of the 256 player matches? Kind of hard to not see some of the crazy scale in the game unless your just stuck in the same starting spawn area getting beat by bunkers :lol

This this and more... I was witness to a 40+ man assault just this very evening.

I am enjoying the game very much although my killcount leaves a little to be desired, I am committing much more to my healing and resuscitation abilities.

Liberty4all

Banned
faridmon said:
exactly my problem, i sometimes can't see the enemies even though they are foots infront of me. and radar is jus a big distraction and most of the time ever tell you where the enemies are.

I believe that nobody appears on radar unless

1. They are firing their weapon
2. Somebody in your squad has Motion Sensors up
3. Squad Leader has done UAV, OIC/Platoon leaders have done Sensor Sweep

This is why the underutilized electronics tech line is so important. Motion Sensors give your entire squad a "heads up" on incoming hostiles.

(hostiles not moving or crouch-walking will also not be seen on radar even by Motion Sensors)

*push*
SolidusDave said:
uhm help, I entered the PAL CE code with my account and it only downloaded the 3 themes, checked my character in the game and no 800c armor available (

anyone knows more about this? I read about other people having this problem, too.

I should have just ordered the cheaper standard edition... (though the steelbook makes the mediocre cover prettier)

interesting@128 player video. Normally you don't see that many people on your screen/this close together, I would have thought this would stress out the engine/netcode. Now I want modes with this kind of clusterfuck, like 128 DM with knifes only :lol

Melange

Great game, really enjoying the massive combat . . . but I'm without a clan to play with and PUGs are, well, PUGs.

I posted my info in the PMC thread, is there anything else I need to do?

Liberty4all

Banned
Melange said:
Great game, really enjoying the massive combat . . . but I'm without a clan to play with and PUGs are, well, PUGs.

I posted my info in the PMC thread, is there anything else I need to do?

Personally I would add officers of whichever clan I want into to my PSN friends list (or at least message them), and then keep your eyes peeled for them in game.

You can't get a clan invite unless you are in the game.

phinious

I got the stinking bipod for the LMG and it sucks so bad. I keep using it and people come up just out of the turning radius and I get killed. I didnt realise how much it restricts your ability to look up and down and left and right. Wish I went with the sight...

phinious said:
I got the stinking bipod for the LMG and it sucks so bad. I keep using it and people come up just out of the turning radius and I get killed. I didnt realise how much it restricts your ability to look up and down and left and right. Wish I went with the sight...

Bipods are awesome. I've been using the medium machine gun + bipod and it's insanely good. When you hit the end of your turn radius all you have to do is double tap 'O' really fast and you'll be zoomed right back in with no issues. And you shouldn't notice the y axis restriction unless you're on extremely slanted terrain.

Then again I'm not even sure a bipod is worth it on a LMG... It's great on the machine gun though.

phinious said:

The best spot for the Bipod is if your trying to defend a entrance point. If you set up correctly you can absolutely murder people. I got a 15 kill streak on domination last night by laying down in-front of a door SVER was constantly blowing up.

phinious said:

Bipods are meant to be used to cover an area over a long distance. Don't use them anywhere in enemy territory if you can since your likely to get flanked. They are excellent for covering an area while on defense.

I think i'm going to respec into full rapid assault tonight, just to try it out. (Battle rifle, foregrip...4x sight, suppressor, steady aim and all that). i like the LMG tree quite a bit, but i've always loved Designated marksman style rifles.

Anyone that has tried out that tree that comment?

Malvolio

I initially had a fully talented AR tree, but I specced out of a lot of it recently. The third tier rifle is a minor upgrade with a downgrade in accuracy, which for me is the point of carrying an AR. The silencer is nice for certain tasks, but 90% of the time trying to hide yourself for very long is impossible so I normally opt to run without it for the extra stopping power. The 4x scope is nice if you want to treat the AR like a mini-sniper rifle, but I find the reflex scope more useful as I'm usually upfront slugging it out.

I run with the second tier AR with reflex and front grip and I feel just as capable on the battlefield as I did when I had a filled AR tree. IMO get some of the low and mid talents and drop the other points into another tree.

Violater

surefire1982 said:
I think i'm going to respec into full rapid assault tonight, just to try it out. (Battle rifle, foregrip...4x sight, suppressor, steady aim and all that). i like the LMG tree quite a bit, but i've always loved Designated marksman style rifles.

Anyone that has tried out that tree that comment?

It only sucks when you rush into an area and run out of bullets mid fight.
I generally use it for on the move recon, or picking off Valor/Raven fools from a distance.
Especially those dumb snipers who stay in one spot all game.

Click

Banned
surefire1982 said:
How does the motion sensor work? Does it have to be held in your hand to have any effect? or can it just sit in your inventory?

You just have to have it in your armory / loadout.
You don't have to switch to it like you do with weapons, grenades, and other items.
It's always on as long as you're using a loadout with a Motion Sensor equipped on it.

It works like this...
If anyone is moving within your radar's range (basically the area of the square map), you will see a red dot. You also feed this information to your squadmates so they can see the red dot(s) if you can.

If used correctly, you can get the jump on people and camp a spot for a long time. Start shooting when you see their red dot near you and they have no chance of winning the firefight unless they get a lucky headshot. It's also good for securing areas with your squad. Just stay hidden, prone, and don't shoot, while your squad takes everyone out. Oh, and it's also great for snipers worried about people sneaking up on them.

I don't carry a Motion Sensor because a) it takes 12 skill points to unlock and b) it costs 800c for you to carry it, leaving you with no room to carry much else other than your weapon and the Motion Sensor.

I think it would be nice for every squad to have a dedicated Motion Sensor carrier. But honestly, it's not really necessary because half the time, enemies run around objective areas or shoot, so they show up on your radar anyways. Plus, certain players like me use Improved Stealth so that 12 skill points is wasted when I only had to invest 2 skill points into Improved Stealth.

Violater

Does anyone know if getting the foregrip and/or improved stability make sense?

Seems to me they both do the same thing

Ahh dammit why can't it Lvl cap at 70 :lol

Enjoying my build so far - going for the Support class. I've got an attacking and defensive Engineering build. Attacking has healing and repair kit, light armor, and smoke grenades. He's so fast - zips past everyone and takes things out!

PuMa

Violater said:

Do they stack? I guess I just assumed so...

andycapps

Violater said:

The foregrip on the LMG is awesome. Not sure about improved stability, probably makes it so it has even less recoil. For me, I probably won't fool with that and will upgrade the reload times on the RPG and maybe get poison gas and such.

faridmon

Bamelin said:
I believe that nobody appears on radar unless

1. They are firing their weapon
2. Somebody in your squad has Motion Sensors up
3. Squad Leader has done UAV, OIC/Platoon leaders have done Sensor Sweep

This is why the underutilized electronics tech line is so important. Motion Sensors give your entire squad a "heads up" on incoming hostiles.

(hostiles not moving or crouch-walking will also not be seen on radar even by Motion Sensors)
whoa, the game is deep.

that's it for me tonight. just played another round of domination, and i got only 2 kills in 30 min. :lol
that's how bad i am.

Violater

FFObsessed said:
I'm in a domination game now and it's a fucking warpfest, goddamn embarrassing. smh.

"We have foreign servers already.
The way it works, is that whatever region the majority of the players in your game are from is what server your game is ultimately hosted on. So, if your game is 30% Japanese, 20% European, and 50% North American, then you'll play on the NA servers. If your game is 55% UK and 45% North American, then you'll play on the UK Servers, etc.
Over time we'll have even smarter server matching, but so far, our current system is working pretty well -- and as we continue to add servers and optimize them based on real-world results, even the foreign servers will perform better for you as well.
--------------------
Jeremy Dunham
Sr. Comm Manager, Zipper Interactive

Liberty4all

Banned
Wes said:
JUST WON FIRST EVER DOMINATION DEFENCE

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :lol

Please share this miracle with the rest of us :D

Seriously how did it happen? I'm betting you guys held the bunkers alot longer than normal and kept the AA up most of the match?

sk3tch

SolidusDave said:
*push*

anyone knows more about this? I read about other people having this problem, too.

I should have just ordered the cheaper standard edition... (though the steelbook makes the mediocre cover prettier)

interesting@128 player video. Normally you don't see that many people on your screen/this close together, I would have thought this would stress out the engine/netcode. Now I want modes with this kind of clusterfuck, like 128 DM with knifes only :lol

When I redeemed by code from Gamestop (US) I was able to verify the existence of it by going into account management and seeing it there. There's no download.

Try powering off your PS3 and powering it on, perhaps. When I first input it and then went to play it didn't show up. The next day when I tried, it was there (800c armor). Shrug.

ashism

Already used copies at my local gamestop.
Do I get any special codes or anything for buying new? Or can I save 10 bucks and buy some Pho and a used copy instead?

edit:
Does this game have push to talk?

There is no given player count on Suppression mode. I think it would be really funny if there was this hidden portion of MAG owners who love TDM and only play that mode.

Wes

venison crêpe
Bamelin said:
Seriously how did it happen? I'm betting you guys held the bunkers alot longer than normal and kept the AA up most of the match?

Not really. We were just really good at getting to the letters, decapping, and repairing the doors.

We had some veteran guy who had played on SVER but siwtched to Raven in our squad and he was telling us how much of a difference it was :lol

Violater

templeusox said:
There is no given player count on Suppression mode. I think it would be really funny if there was this hidden portion of MAG owners who love TDM and only play that mode.

i think they need to open that mode up across factions and maps, but that's just me being crazy....

Liberty4all

Banned
Wes said:
Not really. We were just really good at getting to the letters, decapping, and repairing the doors.

We had some veteran guy who had played on SVER but siwtched to Raven in our squad and he was telling us how much of a difference it was :lol

lol what did he say

We kinda embarrassed SVER just now on their sabotage map. Took it in just under 5 minutes. I'm starting to actually feel bad for them.

Edit: I had 450 XP and the next highest in the platoon was 212, if you care.

Wes

venison crêpe
Bamelin said:
lol what did he say

First he didn't like our guns until he tried the LMG and then in the Domi map he was like "shit, I've never had an attacking team reach our letters A-H so fast."

jorma

is now taking requests
Wes said:

and when we'd repaired our own doors we'd just be running to some other letters for a while and repair their doors too. i don't think there were fewer than 3 engineers on any door throughout the entire game.

mind you, if that game had been 20 seconds longer we would probably have lost it :p

edit: also, i was attacking valor on aquisition earlier and we lost that game when the vehicle was pretty much home free with only 100 meters left to the destination. Now that was annoying, should have been like sabotage where the timer stops if C is taken. Sort of makes no sense to retreat when we actually have the vehicle :X

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
templeusox said:
We kinda embarrassed SVER just now on their sabotage map. Took it in just under 5 minutes. I'm starting to actually feel bad for them.

Edit: I had 450 XP and the next highest in the platoon was 212, if you care.
SVER sabotage map I find speed matters. Get A and B asap then raid C usually how I win in that map. Long battles lets them get trenched in then they usually win :/

jorma

is now taking requests
Corran Horn said:
SVER sabotage map I find speed matters. Get A and B asap then raid C usually how I win in that map. Long battles lets them get trenched in then they usually win :/

yeah, that's my experience as well. it's steamrolling or bust.

Top Bottom