• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Violater

Inanna said:
Aha, typical of you SVER people.

Wait.. I seem to remember you saying that the maps were extremely unbalanced when you went Raven briefly during closed beta. :lol Not once but quite a few times actually...

Please try and keep up, we are talking about the inability to defend Raven/Valor maps.

Wes

venison crêpe
So Cagen, FFObsessed, Rick808 - what exactly did we do wrong there? I mean your squad was matched directly opposite ours.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Violater said:
Please try and keep up, we are talking about the inability to defend Raven/Valor maps.
Due to imbalance issues... Raven Domination map is ridiculous compared to SVER, even Valor. I'd take a map like Valor over SVER any day!

KZObsessed

Wes said:
So Cagen, FFObsessed, Rick808 - what exactly did we do wrong there? I mean your squad was matched directly opposite ours.

That.
KlintIndifference.gif

TheFatOne

J-Rzez said:
I have put in a ton of time in the game, in beta and retail now, and people crying about SVER are unbelievable anymore. I've been in quite a few games now where SVER got wrecked attacking and defending now, and the one thing all those games have in common is the skill and strat against them by Valor and Raven. After beating SVER so many times in beta, and seeing others finding the weaknesses now, you can tell it's mainly the players, not the maps.

I believe most of the skilled players rolled SVER at launch, but it seems many of those players are now on other PMCs, as I recall their names from before thinking how they were pretty good at the game.

J-Rzez this is some pure bullshit. You know the both acquisition and domination SVER maps are ridiculous.

Wes

venison crêpe
FFObsessed said:

Mind elaborating a bit more helpfully if you don't mind?

I mean you guys are all saying we're doing it wrong so I'm wondering if you'll be helpful enough to point out where you found it easy ot get through and so forth. Or by that picture are you saying that SVER are full of good players and we should just give up. Which contradicts what a lot of you have been saying recently; that a direct squad v squad doesn't matter at all.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
TheFatOne said:
So FFO once the bunkers are down how do you defend that map?

It really doesn't matter what you do after you've lost the bunkers once on defence, there is no coming back from it, the damage is done. All you can do is not lose them, even once, in the first place, because once you do a cascade of issues make defence from that point insanely hard, even if you win the bunker back the damage is such that you're hit from all sides all the time, there is no defence you can put up against that.

FFObsessed said:
So my stats so far as a member of SVER:

Wins as Attacker 39
Losses as Attacker 10

Wins as Defender 32
Losses as Defender 6

Never lost as a defender while playing in a near full/full GAF squad. The rest of the regulars are quite awesome. We won a domination against Valor the other day when we held the two capture points at the end for nearly the whole game whereas other squads hadn't even unlocked them.

This game is awesome when playing with a good team who work together. Not so much with randoms, but then that's the same deal with every team based game.

That was really fun yesterday. You are right though, it really helps to know your teammates have your back and you don't really have to tell them what to do. That was my first time playing with GAF and it felt like a new game, honestly it was one of the most enjoyable MP games I've ever played. (I was Assassin47 btw). I'll be playing tonight if you guys are on.

Vinci

Danish
Wes said:
Mind elaborating a bit more helpfully if you don't mind?

Seems pretty consistent. He basically said, "You didn't do anything wrong other than fight against us." It's not helpful, but apparently it's better to win at a game for a month or two, rather than get to play and have fun with it for half a year.

uraldix

Let me get this straight (for Domination Maps)...

Valor/Raven contends that the SVER maps are easy to defend and as a result they always lose.

Valor/Raven contends that their maps are impossible to defend and as a result they always lose to SVER.

SVER contends that Valor/Raven must suck because they cannot win on any map unless they play each other and one is guaranteed a win.

Am I up to speed?

Edited, thanks BM

uraldix said:
Let me get this straight...

Valor/Raven contends that the SVER maps are easy to defend and as a result they always lose.

Valor/Raven contends that their maps are impossible to defend and as a result they always lose to SVER.

SVER contends that Valor/Raven must suck because they cannot win on any map unless they play each other and one is guaranteed a win.

Am I up to speed?

Domination maps

TheFatOne said:
J-Rzez this is some pure bullshit. You know the both acquisition and domination SVER maps are ridiculous.

iz de truff madafaka :D. seriously though, like I said in my post, it's getting tougher as more people play the game it was meant to be played. Domination is not impenetrable, if you use good tactics you can push forward pretty quickly. Acquasition has that one side that is very tough to break, but every faction's map is like that. It seems in MAG one side is tougher than the other. If you get spawned on that tough side each time maybe you're just TheUnlyckyOne,

TheFatOne

Vennt said:
It really doesn't matter what you do after you've lost the bunkers once on defence, there is no coming back from it, the damage is done. All you can do is not lose them, even once, in the first place, because once you do a cascade of issues make defence from that point insanely hard, even if you win the bunker back the damage is such that you're hit from all sides all the time, there is no defence you can put up against that.

That is my point. To make matter worse they have plenty of places to hid as they make their way to the bunkers.

TheFallen

Inanna said:
See, this thing pisses me off to no end. SVER's got more "skilled" players is just BS. Most GAFe people weren't even in the beta, most Raven GAF ARE from beta, tons of guys I know from different organised clans went Raven, many good Raven random players that I've talked to on other forums went Raven for retail. So spare me that all "skilled" players went SVER BS. And please, don't switch, we don't need your "ubber" skills...
What's the point of this comment? GAFa had a ton in SVER during the betas and tournament. I didn't realize only GAFe has skilled players. Seems like a weird comment to make.

depward

Was fun playing with Raven GAF last night; sorry I had to bail!

Was an unexpected surprise to get a win as squad commander because Wes (I believe it was Wes...) dropped and I was handed squad commander.

Acquisition is so much fun with Raven GAF. With pubs, it's frustrating :lol

Yea, bitches, I'm OIC eligible.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I do have Bill Pullman's speech in Indpendence Day queued up on Youtube. And yes, I will be playing it over company chat every time I'm OIC.

You've been warned.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
TheFallen said:
What's the point of this comment? GAFa had a ton in SVER during the betas and tournament. I didn't realize only GAFe has skilled players. Seems like a weird comment to make.
It wasn't directed at you or GAFA, or all the ubber skilled SVER players.

It was directed at Lince and co, in response to his "most experienced players from beta went SVER" comment. Which isn't really true, considering half the people in SVER GAF weren't even in the beta.

theBishop

Banned
I just had a crazy idea.

MAG needs 3 home spaces: one for each company. You should be able to go there and see which players are most important to the company. Bonus points if this can be presented in the context of the "Shadow War" psuedo-narrative.

TheFallen

Inanna said:
It wasn't directed at you or GAFA, or all the ubber skilled SVER players.

It was directed at Lince and co, in response to his "most experienced players from beta went SVER" comment. Which isn't really true, considering half the people in SVER GAF weren't even in the beta.
Lince never mentioned GAFe. And that's quite an assumption that half the people in SVER GAF weren't in the beta. I'd say the bulk of our active players were in the beta and tournaments. But what does that matter? You weren't even in the open beta or tournament if I recall. Being in the beta doesn't make someone a skilled player.

TheFallen

surefire1982 said:
aside from *possible* map imbalances...we should try some empirical testing on weapon damage similar to the post i linked above. I did find it interesting that from the initial test results, SVER weapons were most powerful, followed by Valor, and then Raven....

while the differences were minimal, any advantage is still an advantage, no matter how slight.

MAG Ultimate Gun, Armor, Attachment, Equipment, and Perk Guide w/Stats
I don't think you can accurately figure out anything aside from damage per bullet without assistance from Zipper. There's no evidence that the sound from the gun is an indication of rate of fire. (as per that post's idea) Additionally it ignores attachment differences, clip size, and the data can be marred by connection speed.

I'm also surprised considering earlier charts indicated SVER weapons were substantially weaker following the nerf beginning the open beta. Still, the research is worth attempting.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Vennt said:
That's why I like Raven Acquisition map because at least you still have a chance of winning even if you get pushed back, since we spawn close to the vehicles anyway. I remember in the beta we'd still be able to hold off the enemy even after losing our bunkers because it's more open, has great sniping positions right on top of the vehicle container-thing. Just have a few guys with rocket launchers around to destroy enemy APC's/escaping vehicles, keep mortar up and and you've still got it. It's also easier to sneak past the enemy and fix bunkers/AA on Acquisition map, near impossible on Raven Domination map.

TheFallen said:
I don't think you can accurately figure out anything aside from damage per bullet without assistance from Zipper. There's no evidence that the sound from the gun is an indication of rate of fire. (as per that post's idea) Additionally it ignores attachment differences, clip size, and the data can be marred by connection speed.

I'm also surprised considering earlier charts indicated SVER weapons were substantially weaker following the nerf beginning the open beta. Still, the research is worth attempting.

Yeah, you have a point about needing data from Zipper. It does make you wonder though, how balanced the weapons are, and whether it is intentional or not. As stated in that post, the pre-order armor is as effective as heavy armor, and that it is definitely unintended.

Inanna said:
That's why I like Raven Acquisition map because at least you still have a chance of winning even if you get pushed back, since we spawn close to the vehicles anyway. I remember in the beta we'd still be able to hold off the enemy even after losing our bunkers because it's more open, has great sniping positions right on top of the vehicle container-thing. Just have a few guys with rocket launchers around to destroy enemy APC's/escaping vehicles, keep mortar up and and you've still got it. It's also easier to sneak past the enemy and fix bunkers/AA on Acquisition map, near impossible on Raven Domination map.

Why are still talking about the beta? Do you have retail version?

Vinci

Danish
uraldix said:
Let me get this straight...

Am I up to speed?

Wins as Attacker 39
Losses as Attacker 10

Wins as Defender 32
Losses as Defender 6

SVER.

Could someone generally considered a very strong VALOR or RAVEN player post their win/loss stats?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Well, subjective opinions aside, it'll be a moot issue anyway, when there are 3500-4000 SVER and Valor players playing Domination, at a time that only 900 (and falling) Raven players are playing Domination it's going to accelerate downwards to virtually NO Raven Domination matches anyway, offense or defense. So SVER and Valor can look forward to beating each other up in Domination with less variety than they get currently.

Unfortunate, If you want to blame it as just "Well Raven obviously suck" you're sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the fact that Raven seem to do just fine in Sab/Acq games. If it isn't addressed, it'll have an affect on all players of all factions, like it or not. :(

Vennt said:
Well, subjective opinions aside, it'll be a moot issue anyway, when there are 3500-4000 SVER and Valor players playing Domination, at a time that only 900 (and falling) Raven players are playing Domination it's going to accelerate downwards to virtually NO Raven Domination matches anyway, offense or defense. So SVER and Valor can look forward to beating each other up in Domination with less variety than they get currently.

Unfortunate, If you want to blame it as just "Well Raven obviously suck" you're sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the fact that Raven seem to do just fine in Sab/Acq games. If it isn't addressed, it'll have an affect on all players of all factions, like it or not. :(

true words.

Liberty4all

Banned
surefire1982 said:
aside from *possible* map imbalances...we should try some empirical testing on weapon damage similar to the post i linked above. I did find it interesting that from the initial test results, SVER weapons were most powerful, followed by Valor, and then Raven....

while the differences were minimal, any advantage is still an advantage, no matter how slight.

MAG Ultimate Gun, Armor, Attachment, Equipment, and Perk Guide w/Stats

On the official forums a group of guys did "the Definitive SVER Report" awhile back. I looked for it and couldn't find it. The report had a test group of 8 guys roll SVER and also roll Valor and then play an equal number of matches

They then compared the results.

It was a joke, their victory with SVER was something like 90 percent of the time.

Ah yes here it is: http://forums.mag.com/mag/board/mes...hread.id=201741&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

The Theory

Due to a combination of a few game mechanics SVER appears to be "overpowered" / un-balanced in correlation to the rest of the factions.

Historical Background

With SVER's appearance in the 1.2X beta build (???) there were reports of SVER being over powered / impossible to beat. At the time acquisition was the only game mode available and therefore a combination of factors contributed to SVER's dominance in the beginning. There were as follows:

A) Zipper Testers on SVER of higher rank at the out-set of their introduciton.

B) SVER defending from the start (gave them early, extra XP).

C) Complete database reset with new build, so everyone started from base.

D) Blasted stairs of DOOM! There existed an issue with climbing stairs leaving foot troopers vulnerable to attack while hopping like a bunny attempting to climb stairs.

E) SVER turret articulation is ridiculous- nearly 360 degree movement on X & Y axises made it EXTREMELY difficult to attack their bunkers.

F) Most importantly: Lack of Valor & Raven experience on the MAP (no one had understood the power of the tank squad, rear attack, etc.).

This began the SVER "legend" that carried over. As the betas progressed, team work and good strategies overcame the difficulties of the map. However, it required more effort than necessary as there was a lack of balance due to the above. Some issues were fixed (stairs), some were not (turret articulation). Throughout the betas SVER continued to have this reputation of imbalance. Which brings us to the 1.5 build and the latest testing results.

Test Methodology

As a result of this continued theory of imbalance, [EOD] clan decided to find out for itself what was reality, myth, and utter non-sense. As such we cobbled together mostly new [EOD] members (mixed beta experience) to form a group to test SVER with as scientific a methodology as possible.

We joined SVER after playing on Valor for a couple hours to see what the current landscape of balance felt like during the Tourney. Began day one from SVER and played four days of the tourney, with about 8-14hrs a day of play. After four days on SVER, we captured the data, deleted our characters & started anew on Valor and played the remaining 4 days as such, with the same group.

Control Information

Group consisted of 4-8plyrs depending upon time of day.
Group has little to no previous SVER experience. All players had played over 100hrs as Valor doing previous builds.
Same players played on both SVER & Valor.
Group played roughly the same time amount on both SVER & Valor.
Control samples were taken from completely random Valor & SVER players (people other than ourselves for correlation) whose only requirement was having played in groups during tourney.

Statistics (the interesting stuff)

[EOD] SVER Group

Time Played: 46hrs
XP Earned: 49k
Games Won: 143

Major V: 112
Minor V: 31
Def V: 75
Attack V: 68
Games Lost: 27

Major L: 13
Minor L: 14
Def L: 8
Attack L: 19
Average Player K/D: 1.8

SVER Control Sample (still waiting for pics from Warhammer_)

Games Won:
Major V:
Minor V:
Def:
Attack:

Games Lost:
Major L:
Minor L:
Def:
Attack:
Average Player K/D:

[EOD] Valor Group

Time Played: 20hrs
XP Earned: 13k
Games Won: 23

Major V: 4
Minor V: 19
Def V: 11
Attack V: 12
Games Lost: 49

Major L: 43
Minor L: 6
Def L: 21
Attack L: 28
Average Player K/D: 1.0

Valor Control Sample (Still waiting for pics from J-Rock-)

Games Won:
Major V:
Minor V:
Def:
Attack:

Games Lost:
Major L:
Minor L:
Def:
Attack:
Average Player K/D:

Team Observations

SVER
SVER weapons have a distinct advantage over the other factions- in that each weapon of each class is more powerful than their equivalent counterparts of other factions. While they typically have a slower fire-rate, they are significantly more powerful than other factions. Most guns will drop players in fewer bullets and overall faster, without need for a headshot.
SVER control stations (sabo- A&B) are SIGNIFICANTLY more defendable than Raven and especially Valor. There is no easy nade access, there are typically only three points of entry (each of which is typically defendable by the other). C objective on SVER is far to easy to gain control of and most importantly to cut-off the spawns of SVER.
Overall, SVER controls better defenses (on all games modes, cept Dom- in which they are balanced) and have overall more powerful weapons, which coupled with the LMG imbalance (too powerful and too accurate) make SVER + LMG unstoppable.
Valor
Valor weapons used to be balanced, decently powerful, and moderately accurate, with ARs being the workhorse until 1.5. Once the LMG overpowering happened in 1.5 (too powerful & too accurate, with 100Rnd mag), the only gun of choice became the Mod 0. While Valor's guns are now gimped and Mod 0 rules Valor, their guns are no where near as powerful and in some cases less accurate than SVER and certainly less accurate than Raven's guns.This creates significant issue when attacking SVER who has LMGs with far more power. I found myself being dropped with a few bullets to the chest (heavy armor no less) immediately after switching from SVER to Valor. My Mod 0 hardly stood a chance without head shots.
Valor control stations have always been the laughing stock of MAG, not a huge deal, C's pretty decent, but when combined with SVER weapons' tremendous stopping power, there is no contest in mid-close range battles and open area Valor's A&B present. Overall Valor gets trounced by the overpowered weapons of SVER.
Overview; the major changes to gun balancing in 1.5 completely ruined Valors defense against SVER's more powerful weapons, combined with the LMG overpowering in 1.5, Valor has becomes SVER's **bleep**, due to their guns and most importantly lack of ability to have an AR that can shoot accurately and with decent stopping power (long-mid-range attack), which would give SVER's close-mid range weapons a fight.

Conclusion

SVER benefits (or suffers from- depending on your POV) a sizable advantage due to a few facets outlined below. As the statistics have shown- despite whatever you may / may not believe, it is as statistical fact that playing as SVER (ATM) significantly increases your ability to win, your kill to death ratio, and overall provide a striking imbalance to MAG as it stands today.

The key factors for SVER's imbalance are as follows:

Every gun of each class is "best of breed" from base to tier 3, SVER doesn't have a gun that isn't underpowered and most of their guns are more accurate than competing faction equivalents.
LMG's have killed Valor & Ravens' counter-balance to SVER's close-mid range superiority- the AR. The ARs have been gimped since 1.5, less accurate and less powerful overall have lead to the LMG noob revolution, a revolution which has Valor & Raven at a disadvantage as the LMGs present a close-med range only gun for all factions, but SVER benefits from increased stopping power, thus dissolving the counter balance of the other factions.
SVER has always had the most easily defensible maps- from the enclosed control stations, to the elevated defensive points @ C. Not to mention the turret articulation of SVER's bunkers (Acquisition & Dom).

Important Notes about Tournament

Most people on all factions where playing for XP (medic gun- whoring). Which isn't a huge issue until you run into a group of people doing nothing but getting shot so they can get revived en-mass. This may have had a minor, but insignificant effect on some of the stats, but couldn't change results.
There may have been some "good" players which have known about the SVER in balance from previous betas, which switched over to SVER to get more points through "win" bonuses. We thought the same thing, but weren't interested in winning the tourney anyway (XP whoring is stupid). This could have had a MINOR affect on the overall win / loss, but not a major issue when you see just how dominating the win ratio is on SVER.
There were a couple times that our group was bored on SVER and tried to create a human pyramid next to the hostile spawn causing excess deaths and in one case a defense of C. No real effect on the results- just shows how much idle time we had on our hands while demoralizing the other team with SVER.
Honestly, we did not have the most hardcore / best players in our group- while good players, most of them did not have the experience on the beta that most of the top tier players do- thus the [EOD] group during this test weren't a bunch of ringers making SVER look good. Also note the miserable Valor performance for further evidence. And furthermore note the control group (which as soon as I have pics- Warhammer!), you'll see we weren't the only SVER with a huge advantage and ridiculous Win / Loss. Not to mention the shadow war results nearly 100-1 on the overall shadow war during the tourney!

Full pics at the link above.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
TheFallen said:
Lince never mentioned GAFe. And that's quite an assumption that half the people in SVER GAF weren't in the beta. I'd say the bulk of our active players were in the beta and tournaments. But what does that matter? You weren't even in the open beta or tournament if I recall. Being in the beta doesn't make someone a skilled player.
You should really read his comment before replying. It was mostly in response to his "experienced players from beta went SVER for retail" comment, has NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH SKILLS.. I don't know GAFA (from KZ2) players personally, but I know most weren't in beta. None of the GAFe were in beta, except for Lince. I don't know why some of you GAFA guys get your panties in a bunch every time I mention GAFe. *shrug*

PS: I was in the beta, all 5 phases.

Here is how it's going to go down.

SVER will get nerfed and adjustments will be made.
SVER veterans will make the switch to another pmc.
SVER will start to lose more often.
Veterans that switched will say "since they left is the cause of SVER losing more often".

Nothing better to keep believing you are that good. Would be funny if Zipper rotates maps so Raven/Valor gets to defend on SVER maps. Like the send out notice that certain pmc's completely took over area and the home faction needs to fight to get it back.

patsu

Vennt said:

I believe that assessment is correct. I have not played a single Domination game since the beta. Trying to upgrade my level using the Sabo maps for the moment.

theBishop

Banned
Cellbomber said:
Like the send out notice that certain pmc's completely took over area and the home faction needs to fight to get it back.

This would totally fit into the Shadow War narrative. I support this measure completely.

Noshino

theBishop said:
I just had a crazy idea.

MAG needs 3 home spaces: one for each company. You should be able to go there and see which players are most important to the company. Bonus points if this can be presented in the context of the "Shadow War" psuedo-narrative.

if they made something like the warhawk sandbox, that would be awesome, specially for this game

Vinci

Danish
Cellbomber said:
Nothing better to keep believing you are that good. Would be funny if Zipper rotates maps so Raven/Valor gets to defend on SVER maps. Like the send out notice that certain pmc's completely took over area and the home faction needs to fight to get it back.

Seriously, this is the best solution. I've been ranting about it for the last week. Rotate the maps. Forget about adjusting minute details to make up the difference, just rotate the things. This is why you don't hear TF2 people bitch on and on about map imbalance, because the things rotate; everyone gets a chance to defend or attack on each. There. Done.

If SVER continues to beat the shit out of everyone, check empirical weapon data and balance it all out. Once those two things are done, SVER kicking everyone's ass would be unequivocally due to player skill. Nothing to do about that.

But at least do those two things first.

Firewire

Banned
theBishop said:
I just had a crazy idea.

I'm down with that...as long as I can shoot at the other factions inside Home that is. :D

S.V.E.R fo life! ;)

Violater said:

For me personally, I'm not complaining. There has been some evidence of a slight imbalance. However, it's far from definitive proof. It is, from a programmatic sense, interesting to follow (being an analyst myself).

The only other game i have experience to draw from is WoW, and there was a lot of venom early on in PvP about the Shaman > Pally imbalance when they were faction specific classes. The fix? They allowed both factions to play both classes....

Lince

Banned
Wes said:

:lol that was fucking amazing!

when our squad leader (FFO) set the FRAGO on your bunker we didn't know it was actually GAF police bunker, then I killed a random guy around it and noticed the GAF clan tag so I said watch out that's GAF bunker !! (meaning you're skilled guys and we should approach that cautiously). Next thing I know we blew that shit up in less than 20 seconds, you know... Karma is a bitch.

Violater

Lince said:

when our squad leader (FFO) set the FRAGO on your bunker we didn't know it was actually GAF police bunker, then I killed a random guy around it and noticed the GAF clan tag so I said watch out that's GAF bunker !! (meaning you're skilled guys and we should approach that cautiously). Next thing I know we blew that shit up in less than 20 seconds, you know... Karma is a bitch.

:lol
TO be fair I'm sure its the bunkers fault

Lince

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
It absolutely astounds me that out of 128 people only 3 will have a damn Mic. I can't believe Sony didn't package one in.

I was playing a random game yesterday and I was platoon leader issuing orders in English (trying my best), everyone was silent except for a couple of US guys... then I tried some French and Spanish, to my surprise 6 guys turned on their headsets (three Spaniards, one Mexican and two Frenchmen), as I said earlier not everyone is confident enough or shameless enough like me to try and speak "Engrish" and get involved. Then again how would this game work with a regional-lock or option in place? I guess sadly there isn't enough people for that.

andycapps

Lince said:

Actually, that would prove the GAF police's argument.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lince said:

Hear that Raven GAF? You all suck arse! You guys should just quit gaming. :p

TheFatOne

Lince said:

That game was terrible. I wasn't with the other GAF players so I was stuck with randoms. I was in the squad next to most of the GAF Raven guys. I just kept praying that they would protect the bunkers.

Top Bottom