• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Lince

Banned
andycapps said:
Actually, that would prove the GAF police's argument.

well, their squad having a bunker with a mint deadly turret, our squad with no bunker or APC, 20 seconds and we blew that up... what argument does that prove? that they didn't use claymores to protect it or gas grenades when we were around? we just rushed in while launching RPGs at their turret from a safe place and that was all.

and Foxgirl... don't get so mad at me :lol I swear Valor/Raven teams destroyed SVER multiple times on their own map during that beta we played, it's just a wild guess that most experienced or coordinated people are playing SVER now, that or then accept the game is really imbalanced even when Zipper had enough time to analyze the beta data. I just can't see it based on my experience with both the multiple betas and the retail game. Anyway, I guess you'll be deleting me from your PSN friends list in no time if this GAF vs SVER nonsense keeps going on, screw that, I'll join your faction <3

Lince said:
I was playing a random game yesterday and I was platoon leader issuing orders in English (trying my best), everyone was silent except for a couple of US guys... then I tried some French and Spanish, to my surprise 6 guys turned on their headsets (three Spaniards, one Mexican and two Frenchmen), as I said earlier not everyone is confident enough or shameless enough like me to try and speak "Engrish" and get involved. Then again how would this game work with a regional-lock or option in place? I guess sadly there isn't enough people for that.

I ended up in a squad twice with a clan that uses a tag (fr). They all spoke French.

Vinci

Danish
Lince said:
it's just a wild guess that most experienced or coordinated people are playing SVER now, that or then accept the game is really imbalanced even when Zipper had enough time to analyze the beta data.

You put way too much trust in companies to properly handle balance in online games. There are still imbalances in virtually every online game in which the gaming population is meant to compete with one another - and this is often even after the developers have had years of live data to go through. It's just a very hard thing to do - which is why Blizzard has continuously crossed previously unique classes from one side to the other to simplify the issue.

That said, didn't Zipper even state that they felt there was an imbalance? I remember someone posting that in this thread earlier.

Mael

I meant to ask for nearly 2 weeks here...

Hello MAG/Killzone2Gaf,
I just got a ps3 with Killzone2, awesome game (I still don't understand the complaint over the controls, seems as shitty/good as any dual analog fps to me, then again I'm mostly a wii/pc gamer when it comes to fps).
So I was thinking, should I get MAG, wait for Battlefield 2 or go online with Killzone2 when I'm done with the campaign?
I'm partial to fps with vehicles and since I suck at aiming with 2 sticks I'm expecting to play a medic-type player anyway.

So help?

jorma

is now taking requests
Lince said:
:lol that was fucking amazing!

when our squad leader (FFO) set the FRAGO on your bunker we didn't know it was actually GAF police bunker, then I killed a random guy around it and noticed the GAF clan tag so I said watch out that's GAF bunker !! (meaning you're skilled guys and we should approach that cautiously). Next thing I know we blew that shit up in less than 20 seconds, you know... Karma is a bitch.

That was me. And you came from one direction, i told squad you were coming - and then rick came from a completely different direction and killed the two other guys who were trying to get to you. It was a really good takeover, we should do it like that too. Oh wait we can't because there will be a bunker there covering up.

edit: and that is really interesting, because we were in the same aquisition map just the game before. We were attacking the bunker to the far left, you were in the turret in the bunker next to it, and i think i got killed twice because you were providing support fire from your bunker.

andycapps

Lince said:
well, their squad having a bunker with a mint deadly turret, our squad with no bunker or APC, 20 seconds and we blew that up... what argument does that prove? that they didn't use claymores to protect it or gas grenades when we were around? we just rushed in while launching RPGs at their turret from a safe place and that was all.

But those turrets are hard to use when probably 50% of their view is blocked by walls and crates.. Granted it can be done and I know RavenGAF has held our bunker for quite a few games. Claymores also don't help our bunkers much when there are many different paths you can take to get to them.

jorma said:
That was me. And you came from one direction, i told squad you were coming - and then rick came from a completely different direction and killed the two other guys who were trying to get to you. It was a really good takeover, we should do it like that too. Oh wait we can't because there will be a bunker there covering up.

This is true, the other bunker can't do anything to help you with support from their turret. You should really do a video if you're the turret gunner sometime and upload it to youtube, and someone from SVER should do the same.

The turning radius so so slow on the turret that combine that with how many paths there are it just gets very frustrating because by the time you see a squad, they're right on top of you and it can be too late. When I'm on turret though, I like to yell out the little bit that I can see to try to help my squad out so they can run to those places that are behind cover from me and smoke them out.

Lince

Banned
Inanna said:
spare me that all "skilled" players went SVER BS. And please, don't switch, we don't need your "ubber" skills...

you're really taking this MAG videogame to heart, and I never complained that KZ2 mp was unbalanced... but whined a lot about lag, assault class and stuff like that.

:'(

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lince. Most people are talking about how hard it is to defend on Raven maps compared to SVER maps. So like andycapps said, thank you for proving our point! Raven bunkers are useless. I'd like to see you guys try and win on Raven Dom map.

As for SVER hate/map imbalance issue. You should check out the official forum, many Raven and Valor guys agree that there is a problem. That many people can't be wrong, can they? We get our asses kicked by Valor plenty of times, and we kick their asses too. But you never see anyone complaining about Valor maps. I wonder why? Because we (MAG fans) have a secret agenda against SVER? Just stop for a sec and think how ridiculous that sounds...

Lince

Banned
andycapps said:
Claymores also don't help our bunkers much when there are many different paths you can take to get to them.

there's only one spot in the bunker area where you can plant/defuse C4.

Vinci

Danish
Mael said:

Hello MAG/Killzone2Gaf,
I just got a ps3 with Killzone2, awesome game (I still don't understand the complaint over the controls, seems as shitty/good as any dual analog fps to me, then again I'm mostly a wii/pc gamer when it comes to fps).
So I was thinking, should I get MAG, wait for Battlefield 2 or go online with Killzone2 when I'm done with the campaign?
I'm partial to fps with vehicles and since I suck at aiming with 2 sticks I'm expecting to play a medic-type player anyway.

So help?

My personal viewpoint is that MAG, given nothing changes to end this exhaustive argument between SVER and the rest of the population, will not maintain its playerbase as long as Battlefield 2 will. KZ2 is a completely different animal, gameplay wise. See how you like playing it. If you do, stick with it for a while to save money.

Hey, quick question for you MAG players. I am picking up the game this weekend but I have a dilemma. I have two PS3's that I usually play between, one at my Dad's house and one at my Mom's. I have my PSN profile on both, does anyone know if you can copy save data between 2 PS3's? I would hate to be playing all weekend then find out that I will have to start all over again on my other PS3.

Inanna said:
Lince. Most people are talking about how hard it is to defend on Raven maps compared to SVER maps. So like andycapps said, thank you for proving our point! Raven bunkers are useless. I'd like to see you guys try and win on Raven Dom map.

As for SVER hate/map imbalance issue. You should check out the official forum, many Raven and Valor guys agree that there is a problem. That many people can't be wrong, can they? We get our asses kicked by Valor plenty of times, and we kick their asses too. But you never see anyone complaining about Valor maps. I wonder why? Because we (MAG fans) have a secret agenda against SVER? Just stop for a sec and think how ridiculous that sounds...

shhhh.....you're going to give away the greatest conspiracy in the history of PSN! :p

Vinci

Danish
darkressurection said:
Hey, quick question for you MAG players. I am picking up the game this weekend but I have a dilemma. I have two PS3's that I usually play between, one at my Dad's house and one at my Mom's. I have my PSN profile on both, does anyone know if you can copy save data between 2 PS3's? I would hate to be playing all weekend then find out that I will have to start all over again on my other PS3.

I think your character's information is kept on Zipper's servers.

I ordered the game and I should have it for the weekend.

I like to feel needed, so I want to go to the PMC that needs bodies (if that is currently an issue). Is there a wrong choice when it comes to PMCs?

Firewire

Banned
Mael said:

Hello MAG/Killzone2Gaf,

So help?

Since you have K2 right now, try the online! You will be blown away, then get MAG (like tomorrow) and join the fight. You won't be disappointed either way.

Oh and fit Uncharted 2 in there as well, you just can't go wrong with these games.

Lince

Banned
TheFatOne said:
I could have sworn I killed you several times in that game...

can't see how, during the "Bunkergate" I got killed only once (maybe by you, what's the difference anyway) after killing a bunch of GAF members myself, then I got disconnected from the game and rejoined only to go 17-1 and it wasn't you who killed me then.

don't be so bitter, you know it's all about GAFe kings' epic lag :lol

Vinci said:
I think your character's information is kept on Zipper's servers.
Awesome, so as far as faction choice would I be correct in saying that most of GAF play as Raven? Because I pretty much have no PS3 owning friends that picked up MAG so I am just gonna roll with whoever GAF rolls with.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
jorma said:

edit: and that is really interesting, because we were in the same aquisition map just the game before. We were attacking the bunker to the far left, you were in the turret in the bunker next to it, and i think i got killed twice because you were providing support fire from your bunker.
Exactly... You just can't apply the same because of how easy it is for their bunkers to cover each other compared to Ravens. We don't even have a clear view of the front let alone another bunker!

Mael

Vinci said:
My personal viewpoint is that MAG, given nothing changes to end this exhaustive argument between SVER and the rest of the population, will not maintain its playerbase as long as Battlefield 2 will. KZ2 is a completely different animal, gameplay wise. See how you like playing it. If you do, stick with it for a while to save money.

Well I did buy a ps3 for MAG and Battlefield BC2....
I missed both beta so I can only go by the vids and Gaf...
MAG looked mighty interesting and the pack with the mic and all is tempting....
I Dl'd the demo of Battlefield 1943, I didn't understand much in my limited playtime (and me hating WW2 shooter doesn't help) but the demo of Battlefield BC1 looked REALLY fun.
So going by that I'm pretty torn (and I'm not getting both MAG and BFBC2).

KZ2 being different means that the battles are smaller than the gigantic battlefield of MAG/BFBC2? or something else?

So wait & see?

edit :
Since you have K2 right now, try the online! You will be blown away, then get MAG (like tomorrow) and join the fight. You won't be disappointed either way.

Oh and fit Uncharted 2 in there as well, you just can't go wrong with these games.

I'm on the last mission of KZ2, when I manage to pass that I'm plunging on the online part (tried a few against bots and Gaaawd I like the way the game is set up but I don't know the maps so I kinda suck for now).
Not interested in Uncharted 2 for now (will probably come to it, one way or another though)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So I guess my PS3 is busted? After about 1 minute of being on it turns off and flashes red light (overheat) even though its in an open area.

:/

uraldix

Lince said:

I honestly see different styles of play between SVER and the other factions.

When on offense SVER is aggressive rush in, 2-3 people have RPG's firing on the turrets. The bunkers fall, then the AA and the Mortars. By this time, it's game over.

It seems like Raven and Valor are much more passive. 1-3 people will rush and the rest seem content to hang back and try to keep their K/D up. I rarely see anyone take out the turrets and when they do, no one attacks. The few times we have been up against an organized aggressive attack it has been a dogfight.

If I ever make it to level 60, it will be interesting to switch sides and see it from the other perspective. I do know that when I play with the GAF folks, we dominate (mainly due to me rezzing the good players :D ). Lately, I have lost more than I won when playing with randoms.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
andycapps said:
Good point. Raven GAF, make note of this if not already.
I always have claymores all over the place, even on Sab. Claymore are really useful, but all the enemy has to do is throw a grenade (from cover) and boom, destroys all the claymore mines.

surefire1982 said:
shhhh.....you're going to give away the greatest conspiracy in the history of PSN! :p
:p my bad! Oh yeah, DEATH TO SVER. :mad:

TheFatOne

Lince said:
can't see how, during the "Bunkergate" I got killed only once (maybe by you, what's the difference anyway) after killing a bunch of GAF members myself, then I got disconnected from the game and rejoined only to go 17-1 and it wasn't you who killed me then.

don't be so bitter, you know it's all about GAFe kings' epic lag :lol

I know I killed you that time, and some ahole killed me before I could kill the rest of your GAFe buddies. I could have stopped you guys if the guy didn't kill me. You were all lined up right in front of me and no one knew I was there. At least I think it was you guys >.< Nah I haven't played this game enough to be bitter yet :lol I am just going to put MAG on the back burner and hit my back log.

dazed808

Wes said:
No. It's because all the SVER players are pros. Haven't you heard?

Actually your squad let me, "GAF's Official Worst FPS Player"* (© aj2good4you2), run up a flight of stairs you were all looking at, take every last one of you out and then blow up the objective on the ship - you should all hang your heads in shame!:lol

excluding Lyulf

Vinci

Danish
Mael said:
MAG looked mighty interesting and the pack with the mic and all is tempting....

Lucky bastards with your mic pack-ins.

KZ2 being different means that the battles are smaller than the gigantic battlefield of MAG/BFBC2? or something else?

The style of game is very different from MAG. MAG rewards organization. You're not going to be a hero on the battlefield in MAG anymore than the others in your squad. You support the cause, you do what you can. You don't run and gun it. KZ2 is more of a run and gun type game, whereas MAG is more tactical and not as in your face.

So wait & see?

I would wait a month and stick with KZ2 for now. Then check back on MAG and see how the different armies are holding up or what's changed.

Firewire

Banned
Corran Horn said:
So I guess my PS3 is busted? After about 1 minute of being on it turns off and flashes red light (overheat) even though its in an open area.

:/

Blame sver! Everyone else does.

Hope your PS3 gets resurrected though :(

Mael

Vinci said:
Lucky bastards with your mic pack-ins.

:D

Vinci said:
The style of game is very different from MAG. MAG rewards organization. You're not going to be a hero on the battlefield in MAG anymore than the others in your squad. You support the cause, you do what you can. You don't run and gun it. KZ2 is more of a run and gun type game, whereas MAG is more tactical and not as in your face.

Yeah was kinda expecting this, I'm over the run & gun part of fps now, I want to try something where team work actually mean something. I mean I do suck at dual analog fps, so being a hero is out of the question for me:lol .
Heck I'm stuck in the last mission on kz2 in the easiest difficulty (that's also my first no wiimote/kbmouse/touchscreen fps since Time splitter 2 so I've got problems aiming)

Vinci said:
I would wait a month and stick with KZ2 for now. Then check back on MAG and see how the different armies are holding up or what's changed.
Okay I need to get Crystal bearers anyway...

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
The faction vs faction shit can stop in this thread now, or people will be sorry.

Hopefully Zipper will do something to ensure the longetivity of the game.

Mael

So I'll invade the Kz2 thread soon,
I'll keep an eye on this and the other MAG threads + Battlefield...

thanks Vinci & Firewire

weekend_warrior said:
Anyone use the Mk.43 (Valor tier 3 Heavy MG) yet? I just respec'd and I'm wondering if its worth going all the way down the MG path for it.

generic feedback i've heard from the t3 MG is that t1 MG is more accurate over long ranges, but the t3 MG is better for up close.

So how about the Kotaku review point.... besides being Kotaku it is a good point...

What will keep the game going in the future when everyone is high lvl and top ranked leader capable? Basically just random luck on who gets to be leader in games? It loses lot of it's luster in whose in charge when you got an entire team of candidates.

I do hope they do free updates to the game to add more shit to it to keep people playing rather than rely on the Vet mode to try and offset this.

I want a gas mask option to protect from gas attacks :D

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I should be around later tonight to play some more, after a few days off.

Looks like I missed some stuff.

Saw someone bring up a point I mentioned last week. Yes, the SVER Dom map is filled with choke points that suuuuuck trying to get through.

uraldix

BattleMonkey said:
I do hope they do free updates to the game to add more shit to it to keep people playing rather than rely on the Vet mode to try and offset this.

I think this will help more than anything. I can see the game becoming mundane over time with the limited maps and weapons. The different factions are already migrating towards certain modes and that will make the process go faster.

I wish I was better so that I could get to level 60 and switch factions. I would like to play as all 3 three but I don't think the game will still be going in 10 years :lol

Wes

venison crêpe
It's been posted many times before.

Do you guys hear just squad chat through your headset, or do you pick up platoon and OIC stuff too? Maybe my settings are wrong somewhere.

Wes

venison crêpe
andycapps said:
Good point. Raven GAF, make note of this if not already.

I would use claymores for a long time and plant them by the C4 planting area but too many of them would get taken out by a grenade by a squad storming our bunker for me to think I should carry on using them.

Also does anyone else feel they need to strengthen poison gas grenades? People are using them as smoke grenades now, just runing through them and then healing.

jorma

is now taking requests
Wes said:
It's been posted many times before.

Do you guys hear just squad chat through your headset, or do you pick up platoon and OIC stuff too? Maybe my settings are wrong somewhere.

I almost never hear platoon/OIC stuff. I do remember that our squadleader (i forget who it was) claimed that our current OIC sucked just before 'bunkergate'
where i was the first casualty :X
so that probably explains that! =)

Cagen

Vennt said:
The faction vs faction shit can stop in this thread now, or people will be sorry.

Hopefully Zipper will do something to ensure the longetivity of the game.
That's half the fun of MAG :(. The factions are meant to be at war, it's not going to be the same without the controversy.

Lince

Banned
jorma said:
we were in the same aquisition map just the game before. We were attacking the bunker to the far left, you were in the turret in the bunker next to it, and i think i got killed twice because you were providing support fire from your bunker.

really? I didn't notice you were playing that game. To be honest that match was extremely boring for me since I was platoon leader and just "pulled a Click" by manning our bunker turret for the entire game (Platoon leader repairing bonus FTW). 37-0, my highest streak is 43 doing the same thing, shameful strategy I know, but it works and helps the team.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Cagen said:
That's half the fun of MAG :(. The factions are meant to be at war, it's not going to be the same without the controversy.

If people can do so without singling out individuals fair enough, but posts along the lines of "xxxx sucks and should just quit" are not something I'll tolerate, full stop.

Cagen

Vennt said:
If people can do so without singling out individuals fair enough, but posts along the lines of "xxxx sucks and should just quit" are not something I'll tolerate, full stop.
Fair point, controversy and light hearted "smack talk" is one thing, bickering is a whole other matter. Though I would like to point out that Lyulf (TheFatOne) is the GAF FPS community whipping boy and his avatar is very apt :lol.

Top Bottom