• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Billen said:
I shifted from light to heavy yesterday, and felt invincible. I definately thought I survived situations where I would die minutes ealier. Then again, I may be fooling myself because I am a stupid git :D

See also the thread "MAG Ultimate Gun, Armor, Attachment, Equipment, and Perk Guide w/Stats" in the official forums.

The first thing i noticed from that thread, is that SVER guns are stronger than all other PMCs...now, this is definitely not empirical evidence, but it kind of makes you wonder...

The number format is gun, light armor, medium, pre-order, heavy and ROF and the x,y is lower leg, upper leg damage
Valor LMG: Mk 46 [ 20,25 ] [ 18,22 ] [ 16,20 ] [16,20 ] [2.75]
SVER LMG: RTK-74 [ 24,29 ] [ 21,26 ] [ 19,23 ] [ 19,23 ] [3.0]
Raven LMG: Apex 100 [ 20,25 ] [ 17,22.5 ] [ 15,19 ] [ 15,19 ] [2.8]

note: added in RoF to make a more fair comparison. (Lower is faster)

Fixed1979

Quick mic related question. I'm using the Sony BT mic, last night out of the blue it voice chat started going through my TV instead of the mic. Is there a setting or something that I changed by accident? I took a look through the PS3 menu but couldn't figure it out.

Lan_97

Fixed1979 said:
Quick mic related question. I'm using the Sony BT mic, last night out of the blue it voice chat started going through my TV instead of the mic. Is there a setting or something that I changed by accident? I took a look through the PS3 menu but couldn't figure it out.

I had a similar problem with either the chat going through the tv, or not being heard on my mic after numerous game resets. I started a video chat to test if the headset was working properly (it was), and afterward it worked fine in game. Not sure if that will help, but worth a try.

EDIT: Also after some searching, it seems to be an issue with MAG. There have been many similar complaints.

Billen

Banned
Violater said:
Begin Rambling Rant
You guys just don't know how to cover your bases, plain and simple.
I have gone up against some raven squads that totally shut our offense down.

For example, everyone runs out to defend the towers, no one stays to defend the bunkers, as the offense has evolved the defense has not.

Step up your game, really no claymores on your bunker?

I remember the AAA used to be such a pain in the dick to take down, now before I even frago it Boom its gone.

Each bunker is placed to cover a specific task, generally 1/2 the squad covers the towers and the other 1/2 swings between the defensive emplacements and the bunkers.

More and more I realize that waiting till SVER GAF levels up and is ready to switch to another faction is the best move.

/Rambling Rant

Again this is such BS, no one squad should be able to go up against another competent squad THAT HAS A BUNKER and take it down. If this is happening then the defending squad is doing something wrong, I don't care which faction.
Sometimes the wrong frigging person gets up on the turret and screws things up for everyone. For instance they keep focused on one area instead of constantly scanning the battlefield.

Seriously, in MAG, WOW or whatever game it is, people that presume that one side is less good than the other is usually full of crap. Whether good squads can lock down Raven is hardly the question, because bad ones can achieve the same at SVER:s levels. OF COURSE leveldesign has a serious impact on the outcome, this is painfully obvious. Same goes for all other games, medieval castles, WWI trenches etc....the amount of hardship involved in defending is ALWAYS dependant on both performance AND base layout. :D

Violater

TheFatOne said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Let me guess SVER GAF :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wonderful contribution, did you read/Understand anything I wrote?

BTW I have played through EVERY faction throughout the betas.
Only reason I chose SVER to start with was bc that's where the smart/cool people from the beta were.

andycapps

Violater said:
Begin Rambling Rant
You guys just don't know how to cover your bases, plain and simple.
I have gone up against some raven squads that totally shut our offense down.

For example, everyone runs out to defend the towers, no one stays to defend the bunkers, as the offense has evolved the defense has not.

Step up your game, really no claymores on your bunker?

I remember the AAA used to be such a pain in the dick to take down, now before I even frago it Boom its gone.

Each bunker is placed to cover a specific task, generally 1/2 the squad covers the towers and the other 1/2 swings between the defensive emplacements and the bunkers.

More and more I realize that waiting till SVER GAF levels up and is ready to switch to another faction is the best move.

/Rambling Rant

I suggest before you talk about how bad Raven or Valor is that you make an alternate PSN ID and set up a character as either of those factions. It's easy to talk about Raven doesn't know what they're doing when you haven't seen what it looks like from our bunkers. You have a whole bunch of loading containers and walls right in front of you and to all sides, there are many different routes for SVER to take to your bunker, but small openings for you to shoot through. There really isn't much wide open spaces. Combined with the turn speed of the turret, it can be hard manning that when there are so many potential routes to the bunker. Thus it requires a ton of assistance from your squad to hold that. But yeah, when I played with Raven GAF the other day, I think only one person was back at the turret, maybe one more around the bunker and the others were up at the cooling tower.

theBishop

Banned
Zipper has likened your choice of PMC to your musical preferences. In that vein, I wish the PMC's sound-aesthetic were more divergent. No matter which you pick, you're going to get METAL, which doesn't suit me personally. Yes, Raven's METAL is bass-heavy and more electronic (which is cool), but why not go all out and have Raven be sort of a drum&bass, idm thing? They are German after all! :)lol ) Where's the hip-hop PMC? etc.

surefire1982 said:
The first thing i noticed from that thread, is that SVER guns are stronger than all other PMCs...now, this is definitely not empirical evidence, but it kind of makes you wonder...

The number format is gun, light armor, medium, pre-order, heavy and ROF and the x,y is lower leg, upper leg damage
Valor LMG: Mk 46 [ 20,25 ] [ 18,22 ] [ 16,20 ] [16,20 ] [2.75]
SVER LMG: RTK-74 [ 24,29 ] [ 21,26 ] [ 19,23 ] [ 19,23 ] [3.0]
Raven LMG: Apex 100 [ 20,25 ] [ 17,22.5 ] [ 15,19 ] [ 15,19 ] [2.8]

note: added in RoF to make a more fair comparison. (Lower is faster)

I also wanted to add in, that if you look at the damage as pure dps (damage per second, looking at the second damage number against light armor) it looks like this:
Valor: 91 dps
SVER: 97 dps
Raven: 89 dps

Edited: math was wrong

Kowak

Banned
RavenGAF assemble in 20 minutes so we can destroy SVER in domination, otherwise I will have to do t with some ransoms.

TheFatOne

Violater said:
Wonderful contribution, did you read/Understand anything I wrote?

BTW I have played through EVERY faction throughout the betas.
Only reason I chose SVER to start with was bc that's where the smart/cool people from the beta were.

Yea I understood everything you wrote. The post is complete garbage. Can't wait till some of the SVER guys switch factions.

Violater

TheFatOne said:
Yea I understood everything you wrote. The post is complete garbage. Can't wait till some of the SVER guys switch factions.

How is my post pure garbage when these are the same methods I have been using since last year to win matches?

andycapps

Violater said:
I suggest before you talk, you ask me how much I have already played the game.
Or must I put a disclaimer on my every post.

Should I know who you are? I see a lot of complaining from SVER people about supposedly Raven not knowing what to do and the first thing that comes to my mind is that most of them have not tried Raven and don't know what it's like. Whether or not you did or not, I have no clue. If you're not in RavenGAF, I probably haven't played with you. I had the beta and played it some but didn't get sucked in like most of GAF did, until the full game came out.

Kowak - I'm at work too... Almost another 7 hours to go.. Ugh.

Lince

Banned
throwing toys out of the pram much? this SVER hate/bullshit is getting out of hand, I was thinking of switching factions along with the rest of SVER GAF once we're all maxed out but now I'm staying SVER just to piss you guys destroying your headquarters over and over again :p

edit: I joined Raven and Valor during the closed beta (as most people did) and I'm not seeing that much of a difference with SVER now in terms of W/L ratio. I guess most beta players joined SVER for the retail version of the game just to try a different faction, we got more experienced players here, just give it some time and see how things even out.

Violater

andycapps said:
Should I know who you are? I see a lot of complaining from SVER people about supposedly Raven not knowing what to do and the first thing that comes to my mind is that most of them have not tried Raven and don't know what it's like. Whether or not you did or not, I have no clue. If you're not in RavenGAF, I probably haven't played with you. I had the beta and played it some but didn't get sucked in like most of GAF did, until the full game came out.

I am no one here "to know who I am"

I have agreed on many occasions that the SVER maps are a bitch to attack.
But this new nonsense about Raven and Valor maps being impossible to defend is just that... nonsense.
I made some suggestions based on holes I have seen in Raven/Valor defense and was told I'm talking pure garbage. So from now on I will avoid the Gaf Police and just play the game with people who enjoy/know how to do so.

Fucking gafpolice SMH

andycapps

Lince said:
throwing toys out of the pram much? this SVER hate/bullshit is getting out of hand, I was thinking of switching factions along with the rest of SVER GAF once we're all maxed out but now I'm staying SVER just to piss you guys destroying your headquarters over and over again :p

I joined Raven and Valor during the closed beta, I'm not seeing that much of a difference with SVER now.

I don't hate SVER. This is just a game after all, but they did a good job in establishing different factions that have a different feel. I just get tired of SVER people who most reviewers and gamers have recognized has an advantage in the game of talking down to people in other factions and implying that they don't know how to play the game. Something like "Don't judge a person before you've walked a mile in their shoes."

Violater said:
I have agreed on many occasions that the SVER maps are a bitch to attack.
But this new nonsense about Raven and Valor maps being impossible to defend is just that... nonsense.
I made some suggestions based on holes I have seen in Raven/Valor defense and was told I'm talking pure garbage. So from now on I will avoid the Gaf Police and just play the game with people who enjoy/know how to do so.

Fucking gafpolice SMH

Sorry if I came across as GAF police or something. Like I said, they've done a good job at fostering this community thing within the factions and as a result has developed into some "internet rage." So yeah, if I fell victim to that then I apologize and I'm open to all suggestions at how to play the game. I'm no expert, I just like to have fun with RavenGAF and keep my ears open while I'm playing so I can get some tips. We seem to have some very competent people in the clan, but I'd be happy to see more people join, and particularly people from SVER if they feel like coming over.

And I don't think our maps are impossible to defend, it's just challenging. And I like the challenge, it's not like we're being wiped out every time in the least. If anything, about 50/50. The close games are the fun games and I enjoy a challenge.

Violater

andycapps said:
Something like "Don't judge a person before you've walked a mile in their shoes."

Something like I have almost 100hours in the Betas with both Valor and Raven

And had enough of the screaming teens in Raven and the racist gunho fucks from valor

[not an intentional generalization, just my experience] /disclaimer

Vinci

Danish
To be fair, Violater, the shit seems to be flying in both directions. I see SVER folks dismissing RAVEN and VALOR players just as often as I see the SVER hate (here and on other boards). Admittedly, some on both sides are more vocal than others. But if you're going to openly admit that SVER's maps are harder to attack then perhaps the cries on the other side of the fence are warranted.

That said, you giving suggestions is fine, even generous - so long as it's done in a way that doesn't come off as condescending.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Raven Sabotage and Acquisition maps are fine, but sorry, the Domination map is relatively impossible to defend, Finding a hole and then saying it should be filled is daft, the map is damned well swiss cheese, defend some points and there are plenty of holes left for the attackers to exploit. The SVER Dom map has a number of choke points the attackers cannot avoid, no such choke points exist on the Raven Dom map, SVER map also has plenty of long range cover spots for snipers, Raven has virtually NO long-range viewpoint, it's ALL closed in and close-quarters. SVER Dom Bunker Turrets can cover open areas with triangulated fire, Raven Bunker Turrets cannot cover more than 15ft in front of them for obstacles.

To say that it is just down to skill is disingenious, there is an imbalance, and it's enough of an imbalance to tip the scales.

It won't stop me enjoying Raven, I love Acquisition to much too care about Domination, but even in a co-ordinated and skilled squad Domination is no fun when you can get rolled by an relatively unskilled group of randoms.

Us SVER maps are easier to defend, almost to the point of bordem. If they lowered the HP of the bunkers, it give my job as a Engineer some thrill!

Violater

Vinci said:
To be fair, Violater, the shit seems to be flying in both directions. I see SVER folks dismissing RAVEN and VALOR players just as often as I see the SVER hate (here and on other boards). Admittedly, some on both sides are more vocal than others. But if you're going to openly admit that SVER's maps are harder to attack then perhaps the cries on the other side of the fence are warranted.

That said, you giving suggestions is fine, even generous - so long as it's done in a way that doesn't come off as condescending.

Please go back and read what I was commenting on.

I will save you the trouble, what got me off the bench was the notion that the other factions maps were indefensible which is just plain wrong.
Like I said, there have been numerous occasions that Raven/Valor teams have just been that good and shut the offense down.

As for sounding condescending, that wasn't my intention.

TheFatOne

Does anyone have the maps for the different levels? I am trying to find some online so that I can show you what I am talking about.

Violater said:

I will save you the trouble, what got me off the bench was the notion that the other factions maps were indefensible which is just plain wrong.
Like I said, there have been numerous occasions that Raven/Valor teams have just been that good and shut the offense down.

What you basically said is that we don't work as a team. Which is not always true. I have run with full GAF squads and the Raven and SVEr domination maps are pure bullshit.

Violater

TheFatOne said:
Does anyone have the maps for the different levels? I am trying to find some online so that I can show you what I am talking about.

Wish I could find them myself to do the same for you.

As for imbalance, there is a certain level of imbalance even for the attacking team. For one if your squad is unlucky enough to not have an APC "dog eat your supper"
You will have a terrible time of going through the swamp and trying to take down Valor's bunker after a 1 minute run from your spawn point. Die in the deep water no rez for you.

patsu

Other maps are defensable, but the SVER Domination map has more obvious advantages. I noticed that when other factions lost on my map, they were ok (normal losses, expected casualties). But when I lost on SVER, it's usually painfully humiliating (unusually tough and large number of casulties, especially when you are new to the game). That's the difference.

Noshino

wth, first match of the day, Raven Sab, it starts lagging, then I die, and Im stuck on the overview screen, then after 2 minutes the counter finally appears....but once it gets to zero, it goes back up to 18.....5 freaking times!

And then Kowak told me to quit since the game was stuck for him as well :lol

andycapps

TheFatOne said:

What you basically said is that we don't work as a team. Which is not always true. I have run with full GAF squads and the Raven and SVEr domination maps are pure bullshit.

You mean overhead maps? That's what a lot of people have asked for. Maybe Das-J can help with that? It'd be awesome if they put up high res versions of that.

TheFatOne

andycapps said:
You mean overhead maps? That's what a lot of people have asked for. Maybe Das-J can help with that? It'd be awesome if they put up high res versions of that.

Yea that is what I meant.

BruceLeeRoy said:
It absolutely astounds me that out of 128 people only 3 will have a damn Mic. I can't believe Sony didn't package one in.

That is my biggest problem with PSN in general.

Concept17

Just started playing yesterday (valorgaf). During beta I tore it up with the machine gun, naturally, and it seems to be the popular choice of weapon, so I figured I'll try my hand at sniping. Its gone pretty well, though I don't do as well as I did with the MG, and getting a meaningful number of points is pretty challenging.

Anyone have any tips/tricks for snipers? So far it seems more about finding the right spot to snipe from and learning the maps, but at this point it just seems they made it too hard to get good xp as a sniper. I've picked up the second rifle, which is considerably better than the first. Also, do weapon upgrades only affect the weapon of the tier you purchase them in?

Vinci

Danish
Violater said:

I read what you were commenting on, but I think the issue is that when people say, "It's impossible to defend RAVEN and VALOR maps," I think they're speaking relative to SVER's. If all maps were equally easy to attack and defend, no one would be suggesting that it's impossible - it would be the status quo and all would have to deal with it. The problem isn't that they can't conceivably defend, it's that it is remarkably hard and takes a great deal of coordination, whereas they feel SVER players largely get a pass.

To be clear: I like that you were making suggestions and trying to help folks learn the game better. But the issue isn't going to go away without some changes being made to the game by Zipper. The easiest, as I've said before, is simply to rotate the maps. SVER might very well keep winning due to whatever factors, but at least the whole 'map balance' issue would be put to rest.

andycapps

Vinci said:
I read what you were commenting on, but I think the issue is that when people say, "It's impossible to defend RAVEN and VALOR maps," I think they're speaking relative to SVER's. If all maps were equally easy to attack and defend, no one would be suggesting that it's impossible - it would be the status quo and all would have to deal with it. The problem isn't that they can't conceivably defend, it's that it is remarkably hard and takes a great deal of coordination, whereas they feel SVER players largely get a pass.

To be clear: I like that you were making suggestions and trying to help folks learn the game better. But the issue isn't going to go away without some changes being made to the game by Zipper. The easiest, as I've said before, is simply to rotate the maps. SVER might very well keep winning due to whatever factors, but at least the whole 'map balance' issue would be put to rest.

Agreed, they need to put in a map rotation thing where SVER is defending Valor or Raven maps and so on. Need to have it cycle through somehow. They could build in stories like how Raven overran their defenses and now they have to take it back.

TheFatOne

Vinci said:

The problem with the Raven domination map is that there are so many different places the enemy can attack from. Not only that but there is plenty of cover for the enemy as well. You can defend that map, but it requires team work from multiple platoons. The way MAG is set up its impossible to coordinate platoons. There are not enough ways to communicate with other squads/platoons. I just need a damn overhead map.

gvandale

I just want to add that this is such a great game if you're playing it like you should, with communication and teamwork at mind.

psn: gvandale (raven pmc field support, midwest usa, headset)

Violater

Google search, no idea how accurate this is.
mag-15.jpg

Maybe someone can do captures of the CNI maps.

I've been having problem with my bt headset for a while, can I use PS Eye instead? I know I can set it as mic, but I just wonder how is the quality. can other people hear my voice just fine or are they going to be picking up the sound of Mag playing in the background? and should I move the ps eye close to me ?

help.. anyone?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Violater said:
I suggest before you talk, you ask me how much I have already played the game.
Or must I put a disclaimer on my every post.
I've played more than andycapps, or you. I've played with 3 organised Raven clans including GAF, and Random SVER. And I say BS.

KZObsessed

So my stats so far as a member of SVER:

Wins as Attacker 39
Losses as Attacker 10

Wins as Defender 32
Losses as Defender 6

Never lost as a defender while playing in a near full/full GAF squad. The rest of the regulars are quite awesome. We won a domination against Valor the other day when we held the two capture points at the end for nearly the whole game whereas other squads hadn't even unlocked them.

This game is awesome when playing with a good team who work together. Not so much with randoms, but then that's the same deal with every team based game.

Violater

Inanna said:
I've played more than andycapps, or you. I've played with 3 organised Raven clans including GAF, and Random SVER. And I say BS.

BS to what exactly or is this your regular whinefest?

In the beginning I thought that SVER had little advantage but I'm starting to change my mind, in the last few days I was part of some good and challenging matches, some lost and some won. Even in a squad filled with my clan mates we had some tough times defending our map in Sabotage mode. It's getting tougher as people begin to understand the game and change their mindset from rambo style of play to plan ahead and to execute as a group. It will get much tougher as time goes on and people learn the game and starts using different ways of accomplishing things. It goes for all factions, you will see.

Also, every maps has loopholes, if your squad knows what they're doing they can destroy SVER or any other map for any other faction in no time.

It's a fact, though, that SVER is the coolest factions so no surprise that everyone wants to try that first. :lol

ooh and one more thing, I wish I was attacking more often, two days ago I played in about five matches and only one time I was attacking :(. Randomize it more!!!

theBishop

Banned
Vennt said:
the Domination map is relatively impossible to defend

It's impossible to defend if you lose all your support structures. I don't have a good strategy for holding the towers, but once the pumps open:

One squad on each letter
One squad rebuilding the gates, and falling back to pumps as needed
One squad building the motor pool, mortar battery, and AAA. These people should be driving an APC, which is why the motorpool is super important.

Because of the spawn cycle, it's pretty rare that you'll have more than 5 people flooding any one pump, which is why 8(+8 support) defenders can hold them off. The squad leader on mortar repair duty needs to be on a mic telling the other squad leaders when they can drop bombs on 'em, which really helps thin out the opposition.

andycapps

Violater said:
Google search, no idea how accurate this is.

Not sure either, it's something anyway. Why don't you PM Das-J and ask him if anyone at Zipper could post some overhead shots of the different maps, or any of them really? We can ask him in this thread all we want, but it moves fast and I'm sure he can't look at every post and is probably more concerned with the official boards.

J-Rzez

I have put in a ton of time in the game, in beta and retail now, and people crying about SVER are unbelievable anymore. I've been in quite a few games now where SVER got wrecked attacking and defending now, and the one thing all those games have in common is the skill and strat against them by Valor and Raven. After beating SVER so many times in beta, and seeing others finding the weaknesses now, you can tell it's mainly the players, not the maps.

I believe most of the skilled players rolled SVER at launch, but it seems many of those players are now on other PMCs, as I recall their names from before thinking how they were pretty good at the game.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lince said:

edit: I joined Raven and Valor during the closed beta (as most people did) and I'm not seeing that much of a difference with SVER now in terms of W/L ratio. I guess most beta players joined SVER for the retail version of the game just to try a different faction, we got more experienced players here, just give it some time and see how things even out.
See, this thing pisses me off to no end. SVER's got more "skilled" players is just BS. Most GAFe people weren't even in the beta, most Raven GAF ARE from beta, tons of guys I know from different organised clans went Raven, many good Raven random players that I've talked to on other forums went Raven for retail. So spare me that all "skilled" players went SVER BS. And please, don't switch, we don't need your "ubber" skills...

I seem to remember you complaining about Helghast side being unbalanced in the KZ2 official topic, you of all people should understand where Valor and Raven are coming from. Hell, even Zipper people acknowledged it... So that isn't even up for debate.

I don't hate SVER, I've probably played SVER more than Valor (I regret that!). WHat I dislike is that one faction has a clear advantage over other two, and it's frustrating when you are playing with random players. Squad of Raven GAF can only do so much.

ibu

I was just about to be redeployed the helicopter took off and flew out of the battle zone, all the action was going off and I couldn't redeploy... what on earth happened?

I hope I wasn't kicked... because if so, what did I do?

On armor, to many it makes no difference from Light to Heavy because once your in someone's sights, the amount of time it takes someone down is only like a second of difference. You take less damage with heavier armor and it can save you from a couple stray shots longer, but in general in a fire fight it's not going to make a huge difference. It's not like say Assault class in Killzone 2 which could take twice the hits before going down.

Vennt said:
Raven Sabotage and Acquisition maps are fine, but sorry, the Domination map is relatively impossible to defend, Finding a hole and then saying it should be filled is daft, the map is damned well swiss cheese, defend some points and there are plenty of holes left for the attackers to exploit. The SVER Dom map has a number of choke points the attackers cannot avoid, no such choke points exist on the Raven Dom map, SVER map also has plenty of long range cover spots for snipers, Raven has virtually NO long-range viewpoint, it's ALL closed in and close-quarters. SVER Dom Bunker Turrets can cover open areas with triangulated fire, Raven Bunker Turrets cannot cover more than 15ft in front of them for obstacles.

To say that it is just down to skill is disingenious, there is an imbalance, and it's enough of an imbalance to tip the scales.

It won't stop me enjoying Raven, I love Acquisition to much too care about Domination, but even in a co-ordinated and skilled squad Domination is no fun when you can get rolled by an relatively unskilled group of randoms.

Definitely and the player base is obviously getting sick of it. The numbers clearly show that Raven players are just not playing Domination because of crap like the map designs and they are playing the other modes. Raven has been heavily playing Acquisition for example and last night they actually were winning in that mode over all factions for once. The players losing domination and domination are just not going to bother anymore, and go play the modes which they have a chance in at least.

If Raven player base continues to drop and gets worse than the 900 it was last night, Zipper should notice the problems with the Domination maps.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Violater said:
BS to what exactly or is this your regular whinefest?
Aha, typical of you SVER people.

Wait.. I seem to remember you saying that the maps were extremely unbalanced when you went Raven briefly during closed beta. :lol Not once but quite a few times actually...

Wes

venison crêpe
Well RavenGAF are playing against Cagen's group now on Domination Raven defence so maybe he will tell us what we're doing wrong in a second.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Vennt said:

Yep, we're all whining. We're just not as skilled as SVER. :'(

Top Bottom