• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic Duels |OT| Magic The Hearthstonening [Update Support Ending]

Nikodemos

Ironically enough, I've encountered the gold loss bug as well earlier today. It happened to me just as I had simultaneously completed two quests (a Champion of the whatever and the put 15 +1/+1 counters).

I've also noticed that if the "Pls review" pop-up appears in your victory screen and you have several quests in tracking, the game forgets about the first one in the list.

A patch is seriously needed.

They really shouldn't have crammed two sets' worth of content in a single update, given the low-rent way WotC and Stainless Games are going about.

Ironically enough, I've encountered the gold loss bug as well earlier today. It happened to me just as I had simultaneously completed two quests (a Champion of the whatever and the put 15 +1/+1 counters).

I've also noticed that if the "Pls review" pop-up appears in your victory screen and you have several quests in tracking, the game forgets about the first one in the list.

A patch is seriously needed.

They really shouldn't have crammed two sets' worth of content in a single update, given the low-rent way WotC and Stainless Games are going about.
re: this - I approached Wizards about the same bugs - not getting my 500 coins and lack of coins for completed matches and in less than 1 day they deposited 500 coins to my account. So I recommend approaching them with these issues, it sounds like they are willing to help out while the issues are ironed out.

My current main deck. WR Humans (with first strike sub-theme)

Creatures (26 - 22 of which are Human)
1 x Kytheon, Hero Of Akros
3 x Expedition Envoy
2 x Thalia's Lieutenant
2 x Relic Seeker
2 x Knight Of The White Orchid
3 x Consul's Lieutenant
4 x Kinsbaile Skirmisher
1 x Hanweir Militia Captain
3 x Iroas's Champion
2 x Kytheon's Irregulars
3 x Inspiring Captain

Planeswalkers (2 + transformed Kytheon)
1 x Gideon, Ally Of Zendikar
1 x Nahiri, the Harbinger

Removal (7)
4 x Fiery Impulse
2 x Twin Bolt
1 x Sparkmage's Gambit

Equipment (2)
1 x Throwing Knife
1 x Slayer's Plate

Land (23)
12 x Plains
7 x Mountain
2 x Needle Spires
2 x Clifftop Retreat

Things I've been considering:
- Used to play 1 x Abbot Of Keral Keep. It's another early drop/has plays late game if drawn...but the priority bug makes it too frustrating for me.
- There's no reason to play Ampryn Tactician over Inspiring Captain, is there? Just feel like I'm missing something about two identical cards, one easier to cast than the other.
- Is that Weapons Trainer any good for this deck? Two toughness without first strike seems tough given that I usually want to drop untapped white mana on turns 1 and 2 and the equipment package is pretty small in the deck, but it IS efficient as a card overall.
- Nahiri, the Harbinger is in here because as the game goes on, it's nice to have some looting capability. If the game goes late I'll be looking for my Kytheon's Irregulars to set up an alpha strike/destroy imposing threats. But it might be better to just drop her and add another creature (Weapons Trainer?)or removal card?

BlackJace

Brehs, this deck I've been running is so much fun, check it out (feedback for improvements welcome too)

Creatures
Jaddi Offshoot x1
Dwynen's Elite x1
Sylvan Ranger x4
Nissa, Vastwood Seer x1
Reclamation Sage x1
Orchard Spirit x1
Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf x1
Murasa Ranger x2
Embodiment of Insight x1
Territorial Baloth x1
Oran-Rief Hydra x1
Yavimaya Wurm x2
Gaea's Revenge x2

Sorceries
Animist's Awakening x1
Nissa's Pilgrimage x1
Explosive Vegetation x2

Instants
Primal Bellow x3
Fog x2
Swell of Growth x1
Titanic Growth x1
Unnatural Aggression x1
Natural Connection x1
Wildsize x2

Enchantments
Retreat to Kazandu x1
Elemental Bond x1
Zendikar's Roil x1

Artifacts
Slab Hammer x1

Super obvious focus on land ramp until I can play absolute fatties. A lot of fun, can be slow as shit, or fast as shit depending on card draw

Nikodemos

Have you tried going for a pure elf (BG) build? Losing Jagged-Scar was bad (can't remember what they swapped it with), but we got the ranger (weaker than Vine in most cases, but better here) and some of the Zendikari elves are decent.

BlackJace

Haven't tried it yet, no. I remember seeing lot of green black elf decks during the beginning days of Origins, though, and it did have some pretty nasty synergy.

Brehs, this deck I've been running is so much fun, check it out (feedback for improvements welcome too)

Creatures
Jaddi Offshoot x1
Dwynen's Elite x1
Sylvan Ranger x4
Nissa, Vastwood Seer x1
Reclamation Sage x1
Orchard Spirit x1
Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf x1
Murasa Ranger x2
Embodiment of Insight x1
Territorial Baloth x1
Oran-Rief Hydra x1
Yavimaya Wurm x2
Gaea's Revenge x2

Sorceries
Animist's Awakening x1
Nissa's Pilgrimage x1
Explosive Vegetation x2

Instants
Primal Bellow x3
Fog x2
Swell of Growth x1
Titanic Growth x1
Unnatural Aggression x1
Natural Connection x1
Wildsize x2

Enchantments
Retreat to Kazandu x1
Elemental Bond x1
Zendikar's Roil x1

Artifacts
Slab Hammer x1

Super obvious focus on land ramp until I can play absolute fatties. A lot of fun, can be slow as shit, or fast as shit depending on card draw
If you're going for fun, I like the variety of this deck - lots of situational cards/fun shenanigans. If you want to optimize it, I would either focus on BG Elves for synergy or pure ramp (usually mono green or red green, I believe). Splitting the two makes each side of the deck less likely to come together when it's supposed to.

Nikodemos

A tiny Blue splash for Tajuru Stalwart (to achieve full Converge) and Skyrider Elf (to get it to 3/3) could work.

And Sylvan Advocate is very interesting in an Elf deck. A 2/3 for 1G with Vigilance which gets +2/+2 when you have 6 or more lands (along the +1/+1 from Dwynen). Unfortunately it's Rare, so you'll get max 2 in your deck.

Nikodemos

After some testing, it seems LegenVD's Gruul Ramp deck is surprisingly effective at goldfarming for people who, like me, only have the Origins cards.

Crapping out threat after threat is quite hard for the AI to keep up with.

Hah.

EUcgyM7.jpg

Glix

I've played this on and off...

but it just can't replace MTGO for me. I started drafting online again after a few months off, its just the greatest. Yes, the client is hot garbage, and the money you have to put in if you are losing a lot is not negligible...

but still. The greatest.

I've played this on and off...

but it just can't replace MTGO for me. I started drafting online again after a few months off, its just the greatest. Yes, the client is hot garbage, and the money you have to put in if you are losing a lot is not negligible...

but still. The greatest.
Agreed - this game needs a limited format, 100%. I'd be just as happy with Sealed or draft where you don't keep your cards...just something to make it a little more interesting.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I've been playing a Vampire deck for daily quests and noticed it won't let me pause the game to sacrifice a minion when it's being killed by a spell. Is that the "priority bug" they are talking about on the Steam forums? Also the inability to pause affects one tutorial, making it impossible to finish as far as I can tell.

Yeef

I've been playing a Vampire deck for daily quests and noticed it won't let me pause the game to sacrifice a minion when it's being killed by a spell. Is that the "priority bug" they are talking about on the Steam forums? Also the inability to pause affects one tutorial, making it impossible to finish as far as I can tell.
No, the priority 'bug' (which isn't actually a bug, but was done purposely) is that the game will automatically pass priority through the main phases if you don't have any sorcery-speed plays.

If you're having trouble with the timer, there could be two reasons.
  • If you're playing online, lag can cause a delay between pressing the stop timer button and the game actually registering the command.
  • Otherwise, a lot of the time when cards are played, there will be an animation of the card going from whatever zone its in to the stack. The countdown timer is ticking during those animations and usually runs out just as the animation is finished. Ignore the animation and pay attention to the actual count down timer whenever something is played.

No, the priority 'bug' (which isn't actually a bug, but was done purposely) is that the game will automatically pass priority through the main phases if you don't have any sorcery-speed plays.

They implemented that poorly then. I just used flip Jace's middle ability and targeted a sorcery in my grave yard. It automatically passed my priority as soon as that ability resolved, ending my turn without letting me cast the damn spell.

Yeef

They implemented that poorly then. I just used flip Jace's middle ability and targeted a sorcery in my grave yard. It automatically passed my priority as soon as that ability resolved, ending my turn without letting me cast the damn spell.
Yeah. It only checks for cards in hand. Abbot of Keral Keep has a similar issue, as do clue tokens. Hopefully they revert the change soon enough.

Nikodemos

Whenever there's an issue, send them a report. Stainless Games don't seem to have a particularly large QA dept.

Yeef

Built a pretty fun UBg Reanimator deck on a whim tonight. It definitely needs work, but it's a lot of fun anyway.

Creatures (23)
  • 1x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
  • 3x Screeching Skaab
  • 2x Despoiler of Souls
  • 2x Fleshbag Marauder
  • 3x Crow of Dark Tidings
  • 2x Prized Amalgam
  • 2x Ghoulsteed
  • 3x Possessed Skaab
  • 1x Greenwarden of Murasa
  • 1x Gaea's Revenge
  • 2x Plated Crusher
  • 1x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
Spells (13)
  • 2x Sinister Concotion
  • 2x Macabre Waltz
  • 3x Catalog
  • 2x Artificer's Epiphany
  • 2x Necromantic Summons
  • 2x Ever After
Lands (24)
  • 5x Island
  • 7x Swamp
  • 2x Forest
  • 1x Lumbering Falls
  • 1x Hissing Quagmire
  • 2x Drowned Catacomb
  • 2x Hinterland Harbor
  • 2x Sunken Hollow
  • 2x Woodland Cemetery

Here's a four colour planeswalker control deck I made. It's slow, but at least against hard mode AI, it'll never lose. Would not recommend for the more competitive ranked games, but it's just really fun to have those planeswalkers going off in tandem.

KHAL DRAWGO (WUbr)

Creatures (5)
1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 x Thing In The Ice
2 x Reflector Mage

Planeswalkers (5)
1 x Gideon, Ally Of Zendikar
1 x Nahiri, the Harbinger
1 x Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
1 x Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 x Sorin, Grim Nemesis

Spells (25 - 9 removal, 9 counterspells, 5 oaths, 2 Planeswalker fetch cards)
4 x Gideon's Reproach
1 x Anguished Unmaking
2 x Languish
2 x Planar Outburst
3 x Horribly Awry
2 x Scatter To The Winds
4 x Calculated Dismissal
1 x Oath Of Chandra
2 x Oath Of Gideon
2 x Oath Of Jace
2 x Call The Gatewatch

Lands (25)
2 x Needle Spires
2 x Shambling Vent
2 x Sunken Hollow
2 x Drowned Catacomb
2 x Clifftop Retreat
2 x Isolated Chapel
2 x Sulfur Falls
2 x Glacial Fortress
1 x Submerged Boneyard
4 x Plains
4 x Island

^ makes all of the creatures hexproof an indestructible during the beginning of combat step until end of turn. Meaning Odric becomes a target on your opponent's turn/pre-combat. Which I would think is always the case? But then you likely end up flipping the Insidious Mist so it actually does damage/but would require you to discard cards to keep your other creatures powerful. OR you leave it as a 0/2, in which case you have a 3 card combo to make the 3rd creature hexproof and indestructible during a very small part of the game (combat to end of turn).

Which is to say, it'd be good when it happens, but probably likely to get blown up before it goes off?

PS: my above planeswalker deck sucks, hah. I mean you'll never lose to the AI, but it's not good at all in the meta and not optimized (it should just be Esper).

Is this still coming to ps4?
The PS4 version hasn't been cancelled, but it seems unlikely at this point. The game is still bug-ridden and they will only release four updates per year. Unless there is an influx of new players I expect them to drop the game after another expansion or two.

Well, Wizards got a new president who actually has experience with digital products, so hopefully he'll get things in line. Though it will take a couple of years no matter what.

Yeef

For those that are new or just never finished Origins; it looks like the Origins boosters at 33% off (100 coins) until Sunday.

What is the best platform to play this on? I have an iPhone, Xbone, and PC so I can play on any, preferably the one with the best community and/or best interface. I tried playing on Steam but everytime I went to the store page and clicked "Play" nothing happened and it wouldn't even download...

Yeef

What is the best platform to play this on? I have an iPhone, Xbone, and PC so I can play on any, preferably the one with the best community and/or best interface. I tried playing on Steam but everytime I went to the store page and clicked "Play" nothing happened and it wouldn't even download...
I prefer Steam, but haven't really played on the other platforms. Unfortunately, there's no unified account, so wherever you decide to play, you're basically stuck with.

As far as installing goes: try this link steam://install/316010

BlackJace

SOI was a really awesome expansion (better than Gatewatch IMO). The flavor was cool, and I enjoyed playing around with the new mechanics, namely Delirium. Looking forward to the next update.

Based on the spoilers from Eldritch Moon, it seems as though I won't be building any completely new decks from scratch, I'll just mainly be refining what I have.

Yeef

SOI was a really awesome expansion (better than Gatewatch IMO). The flavor was cool, and I enjoyed playing around with the new mechanics, namely Delirium. Looking forward to the next update.

Based on the spoilers from Eldritch Moon, it seems as though I won't be building any completely new decks from scratch, I'll just mainly be refining what I have.
Without knowing which cards are actually going to make it to duels, it's hard to say, but the set gives a lot more toys to Spirit tribal and zombie-tribal decks.

ultron87

It's sad that new Emrakul won't be in. Like, I totally understand how much of a nightmare that'd be to get working with this interface, but she'd be a fun card that I'll probably cast nowhere else.

BlackJace

Without knowing which cards are actually going to make it to duels, it's hard to say, but the set gives a lot more toys to Spirit tribal and zombie-tribal decks.

Interesting!

*Looks at newly acquired From Under the Floorboards/Rise from the Tides*

TheGrue

Didn't know this was a thing so downloaded it. Holy hell does this make my iPhone 6S run super hot. It's the hottest I've had any game make a phone run. I imagine it will drain the battery quick.

Was in the mood to play some Magic again, but in my limited play, I'm not a fan of the interface.

hoggert

Still too small a window to activate creature abilities or non-counter instants out of combat during the other players turn. You have a very small window before the attack phase. Makes the Gideon/Liliana vs. Corrupted Townspeople story quest pretty annoying.

Top Bottom