• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
While Kamigawa was a decent set overall, the whole japanese theme was overkill.

If they make a pirates set it would probably suffer from similar issues.

red13th

It would be better than Zendikar's theme, whatever that was other than "broken cards and Black Lotuses on booster packs".
Pirates!

Haly

What would be interesting was if they made a set based on 1600s.

Age of discovery and the spice trade and shit.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Goddamn, I have a lot of crap to send out. Y'all are doing me* a favor.

*may denote my wife. Only valid in the continental United States. No proof of purchase necessary, must be 18 or older to apply. Other restrictions may apply.

WanderingWind

Is that MTGO on that stream?

EDIT: NVM. I'm thinking of going online. Anybody else drop physical cards for the online game?

Haly

Is that MTGO on that stream?

EDIT: NVM. I'm thinking of going online. Anybody else drop physical cards for the online game?
If you're having so much trouble storing all these cards the online game is a decent alternative.

You lose out on some stuff though, like the fun of seeing people reactions to plays in person, and drafting generally feels like an assembly line. Also most people don't talk, they just play a game and move on. It's like speed dating, but with magic instead of smalltalk.

WanderingWind

If you're having so much trouble storing all these cards the online game is a decent alternative.

You lose out on some stuff though, like the fun of seeing people reactions to plays in person, and drafting generally feels like an assembly line. Also most people don't talk, they just play a game and move on. It's like speed dating, but with magic instead of smalltalk.

Well, I'm not trying to get a big head or anything, but I need some actual competition outside of my group of friends and the LCS is all teens so I feel too weird hitting that place up. Besides, I'm in it for the chill gameplay.

I just activated the account. Hopefully, I'm not poor this time next month.

Haly

I've only played in the deck testing room occasionally but it is pretty varied. And it seems to keep up with the tourney meta, rather than some isolated local meta.

Good luck
to your wallet!

Haly

When I helped make the Saturday Night Magic thread with TheSeks it died after one game (which only had 5 people).

I think the money is a huge barrier of entry, especially since the card game is functionally segregated from the online game. That and Magic Workstation/Cockatrice is too much trouble to set up and play.

I dunno, MTGGAF is less prominent than this thread would make it seem. Especially if you compare it to the YGO thread, which exploded after like, one day.

WanderingWind

When I helped make the Saturday Night Magic thread with TheSeks it died after one game (which only had 5 people).

I think the money is a huge barrier of entry, especially since the card game is functionally segregated from the online game. That and Magic Workstation/Cockatrice is too much trouble to set up and play.

I dunno, MTGGAF is less prominent than this thread would make it seem. Especially if you compare it to the YGO thread, which exploded after like, one week.

Well, to be fair, on Saturday's I'm usually doing other things. I can see why it died on that day!

Money is always a valid point. I'm guessing I'll probably either go full out with the online version, or try it once or twice and never again because of it. Depends on if opening a digital pack hits the same stimulus center the physical cards do. Something about finding a great card, sleeving it and using it to destroy your enemies is richly rewarding. That's probably on me though...

And really? Yugioh is whupping our butts? REALLY? WTF TECHNOMANCER!!!!

Haly

Okay maybe I'm overestimating it, but the initial response to YGO GAF games was much higher than MTG GAF games. Again, available clients/programs play into it.

And yeah the rush is there from what I've experienced, made all the worse by the fact that you can pretty much draft 24/7.

I've stopped playing though, actually, too many other things to play and too expensive :x

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Add me on MODO. I pretty much only draft though.

Also, the play level in general is way higher than your typical LGS. You will get much better as well.

WanderingWind

Add me on MODO. I pretty much only draft though.

Also, the play level in general is way higher than your typical LGS. You will get much better as well.

Will do. I totally expect to get monkey stomped for quite a while. Honestly, I need it. I've been breezing through my circle of friends who play. And I suck.

OnPoint

*may denote my wife. Only valid in the continental United States. No proof of purchase necessary, must be 18 or older to apply. Other restrictions may apply.

Hah shit! I totally should have asked you for more valuable stuff haha

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So how does MGO work really?

I get the card game part of it but there is some kind of ticket thing? So you buy tickets to enter events... do you win prizes? Is there any kind of casual play that doesn't cost tickets?

Wow those ^ are a lot of cards.

I recently got back into playing paper Magic after oh so many years of kicking this money sink to the curb. I started playing since FE then stopped just before Visions came out.

I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the new blocks/sets and what not and I was wondering if any of you guys are playing MTG over Skype. I regularly play MTG:DotP '12 but the decks there are getting repetitive.

I downloaded the MTGO client and played some free matches but I'm still quite hesitant to create an account due to the outdated feel and clunkiness of the client. I keep on lurking this thread every now and then and see a lot of players but don't seem to read anything about any Magic matches over Skype, would it be possible to set one up?

I'm just running the DkA U/B Zombie and R/W Weenie Intro decks :p

WanderingWind

So, cool. First MTGO outing. Got spanked by a guy with a severely powerful (had playsets of errything) deck, then played another newb like myself and won pretty easily.

...this could be bad for my wallet.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
So, cool. First MTGO outing. Got spanked by a guy with a severely powerful (had playsets of errything) deck, then played another newb like myself and won pretty easily.

...this could be bad for my wallet.

Cool I added you to my list, you should be able to see when I"m online now.

So how does MGO work really?

I get the card game part of it but there is some kind of ticket thing? So you buy tickets to enter events... do you win prizes? Is there any kind of casual play that doesn't cost tickets?

Yep, event tickets cost about $1 and are your entrance fee to events. A typical draft is 3 packs + 2 event tickets, or 14 event tickets if you'd rather go that route. Standard events can run 5 tix, etc. Payouts are always with packs.

If you play in the 8-4 draft queue, you get 8 or 4 packs for 1st and 2nd place respectively. In the swiss queue, you play 3 rounds no matter what and get 1 pack per win.

Drafts are a real money sink. A lot of people grind the constructed events to win packs that pay for their drafts.

Also, you can redeem a complete set (has to be all foil or all non-foil) for a set of cards IRL. The virtual cards get removed from your account.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Actually it's not that expensive compared to paper magic.

I've gotten my costs down to about $4.50 per draft. So even if I run 3 events a week, that's only $50-60 a month.

Singles are significantly cheaper online as well (for standard, legacy is another story). So you can build a WAY cheaper tier one standard deck online.

And if you really want to grind out some packs for cheap, you can always play block constructed or play pauper. :)

I've gotten my costs down to about $4.50 per draft. So even if I run 3 events a week, that's only $50-60 a month.

Singles are significantly cheaper online as well (for standard, legacy is another story). So you can build a WAY cheaper tier one standard deck online.

And if you really want to grind out some packs for cheap, you can always play block constructed or play pauper. :)

I wish I was good enough to do free drafting like some. :(

Haly

And people complain about $15 a month sub fees for mmos.

WanderingWind

At least your wife will stop complaining about all the cards you have

She doesn't complain...more like points out that I still pretty much play with the 5-6 decks I built, and large sums of them are just collecting dust.

My first 3 packs on MODO (I learnt the lingo!) sucked hard.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
And people complain about $15 a month sub fees for mmos.

Bah, it's cheap. Let's compare to paper which I draft about once per week.

$15 to play, last 4 weeks I split first place 3 times, so won about 10 packs.

That's $60 for 4 measly drafts and 10 packs.

Versus online $60 which would net me ~12 drafts.

y2dvd

The reason I don't play online is I host Magic at my place every Thursday which is slowly growing in numbers. It usually drains me from playing Magic for the rest of the week. That and I'm playing LoL on my spare time. X_X

WanderingWind I sent another PM. =)

WanderingWind

The reason I don't play online is I host Magic at my place every Thursday which is slowly growing in numbers. It usually drains me from playing Magic for the rest of the week. That and I'm playing LoL on my spare time. X_X

WanderingWind I sent another PM. =)

Saw that. I'll get back atcha after work. 5pm PST

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

*awesome pics*

Man. I just keep clicking those pictures over and over, thinking "Some of those are mine!". SO EXCITED. :D

I can't overstate how awesome of you this is. :D Thanks again! :D

WanderingWind

Man. I just keep clicking those pictures over and over, thinking "Some of those are mine!". SO EXCITED. :D

I can't overstate how awesome of you this is. :D Thanks again! :D

Eh. I got some beginner love when I showed up too. It's the circle of MagicGAF.

Gatekeeper, I added you, but missed your login.

OnPoint

Bought a few cards off Star City Games last week and they showed up today. One was bought as a gift for my girlfriend -- a real nice extended art prerelease angel. It was listed as NM/M but it showed up with a huge nick in the top left of the art, the top was worn down like it was shuffled and played a lot... it was definitely a played card. Needless to say I was a little upset.

So I emailed Star City expressing my concerns with the card, informing them that everything else was in order, but this card was a gift, and it was a mess. About two hours later I checked my email, and I was quite surprised by their response: They said they were going to ship me a hand-picked replacement at no cost and they extended my premium membership by a month.

I realize that it's more important to them to keep a customer that drops half-a-hundred bucks at a time than a four-dollar card, but it made me happy that they responded so quickly and positively.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So hey, there's been something on my mind recently that I wanted to ask of MagicGAF.

I first started playing Magic in about 1997. At that point, Magic was only 3-4 years old. And yet, stuff from the earliest expansions (Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, The Dark) was already pretty ridiculously expensive. I remember a friend of mine paying $30 for one pack of Legends. Of course I know that by today's standards, $30 for a pack of Legends would be considered cheap as hell, but back then it seemed like a lot of money. What I'm wondering is...what exactly happened in the three years between 1994 and 1997 that caused those expansions to skyrocket in value so quickly? Was it just low print runs? I mean, the value shot up so much that only a year after Legends/The Dark, they released Chronicles, which consisted entirely of reprints from Antiquities, Arabian Nights, The Dark, and Legends. And furthermore, what caused Fallen Empires, which came immediately after The Dark, to plummet in price so badly (aside from the fact that it only had like three good cards)? I clearly remember buying packs of Fallen Empires for like $1.25.

An-Det

It was pretty much just crazy small print runs in a game with exploding popularity. Fallen Empires was far overprinted (and was shit) so it tanked. After that they seem to have gotten much better at print runs.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Bought a few cards off Star City Games last week and they showed up today. One was bought as a gift for my girlfriend -- a real nice extended art prerelease angel. It was listed as NM/M but it showed up with a huge nick in the top left of the art, the top was worn down like it was shuffled and played a lot... it was definitely a played card. Needless to say I was a little upset.

So I emailed Star City expressing my concerns with the card, informing them that everything else was in order, but this card was a gift, and it was a mess. About two hours later I checked my email, and I was quite surprised by their response: They said they were going to ship me a hand-picked replacement at no cost and they extended my premium membership by a month.

I realize that it's more important to them to keep a customer that drops half-a-hundred bucks at a time than a four-dollar card, but it made me happy that they responded so quickly and positively.

SCG gets a real bad rep (their prices are probably the highest) but glad to see they take care of their customers.

kirblar

SCG gets a real bad rep (their prices are probably the highest) but glad to see they take care of their customers.
There's a risk premium built into their pricing - are they the most expensive? Yeah, but sometimes its worth paying the extra bit.

OnPoint

So hey, there's been something on my mind recently that I wanted to ask of MagicGAF.

I first started playing Magic in about 1997. At that point, Magic was only 3-4 years old. And yet, stuff from the earliest expansions (Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, The Dark) was already pretty ridiculously expensive. I remember a friend of mine paying $30 for one pack of Legends. Of course I know that by today's standards, $30 for a pack of Legends would be considered cheap as hell, but back then it seemed like a lot of money. What I'm wondering is...what exactly happened in the three years between 1994 and 1997 that caused those expansions to skyrocket in value so quickly? Was it just low print runs? I mean, the value shot up so much that only a year after Legends/The Dark, they released Chronicles, which consisted entirely of reprints from Antiquities, Arabian Nights, The Dark, and Legends. And furthermore, what caused Fallen Empires, which came immediately after The Dark, to plummet in price so badly (aside from the fact that it only had like three good cards)? I clearly remember buying packs of Fallen Empires for like $1.25.

Low print run vs high power -- Legends has Mana Drain, for example. The Dark is only like 8 bucks a pack now haha

Fallen Empires is one of the, if not the very worst set in Magic. I'd also guess it saw a higher print run. I'd actually like them to revisit the lore there with a higher powered "Rising Empires" or something along those lines. I'd also like to see Homelands get some redemption with a new expansion.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Low print run vs high power -- Legends has Mana Drain, for example. The Dark is only like 8 bucks a pack now haha

Fallen Empires is one of the, if not the very worst set in Magic. I'd also guess it saw a higher print run. I'd actually like them to revisit the lore there with a higher powered "Rising Empires" or something along those lines. I'd also like to see Homelands get some redemption with a new expansion.

You know, I can't really figure out which one is better/worse, between Fallen Empires and Homelands.

Fallen Empires has Goblin Grenade, Hand of Justice, and the pump knights.

Homelands has Serrated Arrows, the Sengir family cards, and Autumn Willow.

Man. I remember when pulling an Autumn Willow was something to be excited about. :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It was pretty much just crazy small print runs in a game with exploding popularity. Fallen Empires was far overprinted (and was shit) so it tanked. After that they seem to have gotten much better at print runs.

It just occurred to me the other day that I wish they would do limited print runs of older sets. I would love to draft Lorwyn or Ravnica again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom