• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man walks across GTA 5 map for charity

mclem

Damn that's crazy. He should do Skyrim next. Or even the earlier Elder Scrolls games which are humongous.

Well, Arena cheats like crazy, with fast-travel being what actually moves you from region to region, and movement outside the cities being generated on the fly and infinite. Dunno if Daggerfall does the same, or if that does actually define the entire wilderness.

A lot of it comes down to the mode of transport. RDR has a relatively small map by hard geography but because your mode of transport is typically a horse and in GTA5 you can drive a sports car (and GTA5 has a very logical street layout compared to RDR's winding horse paths), RDR seems larger but is a good deal smaller.

I guess I could watch an archive of the stream, but I wonder if he stuck only to paths on RDR. If you stick to paths in RDR or streets in GTA:SA, I'd wager it would take much longer... probably 2x longer.

Yeah mode of transport but also world design. We talked about this in another recent GTA thread... GTA V sometimes feels smaller than it is because it's rather realistically proportioned and traversed. A lot of GTA V is modeled off of actual LA infrastucture or architecture so the scale is more realistic in terms of how big and expansive city outer limits are, how big on ramps or exists are, etc cetera. Every mountain is rather huge and expansive, and in some ways, just a big space. Then you add in a freeway with 2-3 lanes and cars going 150 MPH and you can rip around the island freeway pretty fast. But walking it would indeed take pretty damn log. Sometimes I like to explore on foot just in the Grand Senora desert and even that takes forever haha.

In contrasts, GTA SA has pretty smart use of space. It's more... maze-like. GTA SA is rather small actually when you lift the fog but when you're actually inside SA on a PS2 with the fog, it serves as walls for the twisty-turning roads... similar to being underground in Minecraft or in a maze, the limited vision and dense world world design, while not very realistic, makes awesome use of the technical limitations of the PS2 to make the world seem bigger than it is -- and immersive to boot.

But if you actually remove the fog from SA and go bird's eye above LS, you can see entire map pretty closely from just 1 vantage point whereas in V everything is still pretty far out even if you fly above LS. See SA below, and imagine now you're flying that high in V -- the map horizon will be a lot farther out.

samap1.png

But map aside, the design did have its benefits. It was actually you, in fact (and I didn't even realize that until I was nearly done my reply lol so if my tenses sound weird it was because I didn't even realize I was replying to the same person at first) that detailed well how despite V being bigger and more realistic or logical, is almost too realistic in that it streamlines accessibility and removes exploration. A lot of people in the thread (it began about SA's anniversary and CJ) agreed or liked that description.

GTA SA, in contrast to V with it's weaving roads that get more 'use' of its smaller world thanks to the 'walls' the fog provide, result in a much deeper sense of exploration, travel, and discovery -- in part because the draw distance fog but also in part because the world map was rather illogical and you never knew what you could find. GTA V's layout of energy sources, gas stations, even restaurants are mapped off LA in a realistic and even expect way, and the draw distance so far and map so sprawling that you rarely have any sense of 'what's over there?' whereas GTA SA was full of that.

It's just interesting that some people still wonder if that it was because GTA SA's map was technically bigger but in fact the opposite -- the great map experience was precisely because the SA map was technically flawed and limited (and forced creative rather than realistic map design), and that was exactly why the map was so good.

Top Bottom