• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm surprised my soft ass brehs are offended. Me and Big One were having a bro moment.

I thought you would understand gunbo.

Shoujo will never catch on here.

Don't some shoujo titles sell good in NA .
I remember reading that one of reason that the manga industry in NA losing sales is because females don't buy as much manga.
There were one of the reason for high sales in the first place back in the day .

EDIT i see you were talking about this thread lol .
I do read some shoujo but i don't care about talking about them .

survivor

Banned
I know you guys are trolling like there's no tomorrow BUT I have to lose a few words about Robin here:

I totally agree with Stat, she's such an useless character and one of the biggest flaws of OP. It's pretty obvious that Oda only wrote her into the SH so that he can flesh out the lost history (which is, contrary to Stats belief, a fucking big deal in the OP world). I really hope that Oda adds more to her character instead of letting us guess if she has the hots for Luffy or not...

And bring back her old hairstyle ffs.

Then she is not useless.

Goodnight Punpun (v03-04)

-Yuuichi <3

Yuuichi is the man. I'm so glad that he is getting air time cause he was my favorite in the earlier volumes. And the fact that v05 (I just checked the first couple pages) keeps his drama going is music to my ears. Punpun has a nice coming of age story and you really route for him with Aiko. But Yuuichi has that salvation from tragedy thing going on that really makes you feel for the guy. If more tragedy striking him keeps him in the story then I am all for it.

Vol in 3 (badminton, seduction, saving)

Oh man you just got to his flashback? It was sooo good

gunbo13

While there are cases where honorifics are kind of important, in the vast majority of cases they're easily translatable into an english equivalent or left out entirely without losing anything. Just having them the way they are simply serves as an unnecessary obstacle to people who don't know the secret code. The most popular Toku subbing group translates like this and it's AMAZING.
No, they don't. Yes, you can "infer" what type of respect in naming a character is using. But why even bother when it is written that way already? If you don't want to put in the time to understand the level of honorifics, then you can ignore them. This is not onii-san and crap like that. It's part of the language that does not translate directly but also doesn't affect the original text.
I kind of agree on titles that don't really have any relation to the series like Flunk Punk Rumble are dumb, But personally that's far easier to remember than a string of letters in a language I don't understand.
It's preference. Dumb title is dumb. Some also just catch on like Kimi no Todoke. If I could "start" the reference chain I would use "From Me to You" but what can you do. Something like Tasogare Otome x Amnesia is easier just said as Tasogare. Is that localized? No. But otherwise it is Dusk or Twilight Maiden, which is just longer and not the easiest reference.

My point is that sometimes it is just easier, cleaner, or better conveyed using some variation of the Japanese title. And it isn't like people are screaming "Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai" all the time, right?
Honorifics aren't the big part of the problem--the way I see it, I can get some insights on how Japanese address each other according to age, gender, etc, or when it is being used in a different meaning. If one is familiar with the term "manga", then they'd probably already get used to it. I agree that it shouldn't be used in an official translation though.
Again, it is an unnecessary inference when it is already in text. If it is kept when localized, then people who understand it understand it. If it isn't, then you can infer the meaning like you said. It doesn't make sense to choose sides and it requires zero effort to leave something as is.
Haven't we been over this? I and a few other people are still reading it.
Every week.

Vampires and fan-service dying. Kind of what to say fuck R+V2.
Kimi No Iru Machi 1
Oh, that's Suzuka. Ahem..
Yep. And the strange idea is that Suzuka also exists in Town of Shit. There should be a separated at birth arc. Why the fuck not at this point.

survivor

Banned
Kurogane 26

First it was the EYES THAT SEE EVERYTHING
Now it's the EARS THAT HEARS ALL THE NOISE

I wonder what's next. A nose that can detect your movement based on your body smell?

Ubel Blatt

Well that was too foolish of the brother. Too much pride killed him. Oh well.

Also this chapter felt soo short with all the panels of the airships flying around.

gunbo13

I thought you would understand gunbo.
The middle of page 9 is mentally damaging.
I do read some shoujo but i don't care about talking about them .
You got to be me more secure. Nobody will judge if you read manga aimed at teenage girls.

lol Yea fucking right.
Oh man you just got to his flashback? It was sooo good
So intense and even plausible in this world. The quality of this work shot up big time with that. I can't imagine that being topped though which saddens me. :( Hopefully I will be surprised as I should hopefully get the rest of the vol's done soon.
Sailor Moon is one of the best selling series in the USA.
Gah, here = thread, not country.
Id read and discuss if one that had action, unique artwork, and interesting character designs were found.
1/2 Prince, Ludwig Revolution, Immortal Rain...

survivor

Banned
So intense and even plausible in this world. The quality of this work shot up big time with that. I can't imagine that being topped though which saddens me. :( Hopefully I will be surprised as I should hopefully get the rest of the vol's done soon.

Volume 5 has some old faces back which was pretty cool. Volume 6 is pretty fucking good. One of my favourite actually.

And in the last volume, shit will be sooo real.

survivor

Banned
We don't really have a lot of shoujo related arguments. I think we need a shoujo troll though. Would make us legitimate.

All shoujo manga fucking suck. The same garbage of perfect lovers, perfect people, best girl always losing, kissing takes an eternity, holding hands is forbidden, blushing everywhere, and ugly art.

Talk to me when they step their game up.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
All shoujo manga fucking suck. The same garbage of perfect lovers, perfect people, best girl always losing, kissing takes an eternity, holding hands is forbidden, blushing everywhere, and ugly art.

Just the way I like it~

gunbo13

I read Kimi Ni Todoke!
You sad soul...
We don't really have a lot of shoujo related arguments. I think we need a shoujo troll though. Would make us legitimate.
There should be manhwa shoujo. The Breaker combined with bishounen, bubbles, and bullshit. Piss off survivor and all dat hate.

Try seinen or josei smut then. Most of that shit is eliminated or at least toned down considerably.

PK Gaming

It's a shame you guys(Stat, Glass) dislike Robin. She's fleshed out yadayada but, honestly she's also really entertaining too. Fantastic and creative powers, that come into play in various situations. She's also surprisingly funny in her own monotonous way when it comes to comic relief scenes. (When the SH look for Nami, Usopp and Chopper on Thriller bark, she muses that they may have been strangled. When Nami states that Zoro may have been eaten by a Sky Shark, she replies with "The clouds would be turning red if he was." Also she's the hottest character in the series. Many of you will argue that Nami is, but Robin is classier. like comparing beer to some fine wine, Robin gets better wish age.

She doesn't get into too many solo fights but she's been a strong support character in a lot of fights, including Oars, the spider thing and the pacifista. I think her one fight was vs Yama and she bodied to hell out of him.

<3 Robin For lyfe.

Wiseblade

No, they don't. Yes, you can "infer" what type of respect in naming a character is using. But why even bother when it is written that way already? If you don't want to put in the time to understand the level of honorifics, then you can ignore them. This is not onii-san and crap like that. It's part of the language that does not translate directly but also doesn't affect the original text.

Again, it is an unnecessary inference when it is already in text. If it is kept when localized, then people who understand it understand it. If it isn't, then you can infer the meaning like you said. It doesn't make sense to choose sides and it requires zero effort to leave something as is.

Yeah, but it's inference the audience is well prepared to make. At the very least, everyone reading a scanlation is more comfortable using English than Japanese, so why not cater to that? Introducing a second formality structure just seems counter-intuitive or even redundant in the majority of cases. Like a said last time, I understand that there are cases where things can't be easily translated, but they're far from the norm in my experience.

I'll stop here, because I don't want to drag this into some long winded argument. The only reason I bring it up is because when I first started reading/watching fan translated manga/anime the whole thing threw me for a loop and was a little annoying. And to read posts online about people saying they prefer it just seems crazy to me.

/armchairlinguist

She's also surprisingly funny in her own monotonous way when it comes to comic relief scenes. (When the SH look for Nami, Usopp and Chopper on Thriller bark, she muses that they may have been strangled. When Nami states that Zoro may have been eaten by a Sky Shark, she replies with "The clouds would be turning red if he was." Also she's the hottest character in the series.

Thats her best aspect, her smile and chuckle at things make her the most refined straw hat and never ceases to make me smile.

However, wouldnt be on my list of hottest one piece characters.

I'm fully aware of that. I like her dark humour too but as you say, she's just a support character. She's not able to stand on her own from an entertainment perspective. I mean, Chopper is a support character too but Robin seems like she's just tagging along as an excuse.

I'll say it again: She was the hottest and classiest but then she tried to channel Beckmann. Bow to Nami, the red-hsired goddess, heathens.

El Sloth

Banned

Try Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. I like the comedy. It's not the typical shoujo stuff, although I'm still not sure if it's different enough for you to like it.

PK Gaming

I'm fully aware of that. I like her dark humour too but as you say, she's just a support character. She's not able to stand on her own from an entertainment perspective. I mean, Chopper is a support character too but Robin seems like she's just tagging along as an excuse.

I'll say it again: She was the hottest and classiest but then she tried to channel Beckmann. Bow to Nami, the red-hsired goddess, heathens.

I'll admit, pre-skip Robin >>>>>>>>>>>>> Post-skip Robin by a mile. Especially pre-skip thriller bark Robin (hot-damned)

But the existence of pre-skip TB Robin makes her superior to Nami the breast band wearing red-head chick any day of the WEEK.

flawfuls

Finding good shoujo manga is so difficult. The vast majority of shoujo is just sooooo bad and it is a lot harder to gauge what is good or not based on the artwork/description.

The only things I can count on are awesome shoujo groups like Stiletto Heels and Hotcakes and authors I know are always good like Ryou Ikumi.

There are shoujo manwhas. Quite a few of them, actually.

There are mountains of them. Including the best shoujo ever made.

survivor

Banned
Try Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. I like the comedy. It's not the typical shoujo stuff, although I'm still not sure if it's different enough for you to like it.

I'm seeing a cool cover on the MU page but I'm not feeling it. Doesn't help that it's still ongoing.

gunbo13

Yeah, but it's inference the audience is well prepared to make. At the very least, everyone reading a scanlation is more comfortable using English than Japanese, so why not cater to that? Introducing a second formality structure just seems counter-intuitive or even redundant in the majority of cases. Like a said last time, I understand that there are cases where things can't be easily translated, but they're far from the norm in my experience.
I can think of a ton of manga which have "honorific moments." And none of them translate properly without the context kept intact. I also don't understand how you cater towards your audience by dropping information. You can't substitute it just like you can't really translate some food names. It's a loss of information and therefore I see no justification. If you can find a proper substitute without "inference" then we can talk.
And to read posts online about people saying they prefer it just seems crazy to me.
I will never choose to lose optional information if it is available. Your argument has merit in many many cases regarding translations but honorifics is not so easily categorized.
There are shoujo manwhas. Quite a few of them, actually.
I meant there should be shoujo manhwas branching off the manhwas mentioned often in the thread. Like a Breaker shoujo. It was a joke...
I'm seeing a cool cover on the MU page but I'm not feeling it. Doesn't help that it's still ongoing.
You're such a baby. Hope you get attacked by sparkles and background flowers.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I can think of a ton of manga which have "honorific moments." And none of them translate properly without the context kept intact. I also don't understand how you cater towards your audience by dropping information. You can't substitute it just like you can't really translate some food names. It's a loss of information and therefore I see no justification. If you can find a proper substitute without "inference" then we can talk.
It's never useful information if there's no cultural context. What does kun tell me? Jack shit.

Steroyd

Shoujo's are generally better to read once completed, not much mileage out of a discussion with them ongoing, and they usually release bi-weekly (not taking when they actually get scanlated into consideration).

And then there's wading through all the chaff among all else.

At least they look different.

I'd go for Matsumoto Inoue Neliel Yoruichi Hallibel Unohana myself.

I'm a tits man. SWAG.

I wasn't joking man. Rukia and Tatsuki look like they have nice asses. Skinny girls who hide their asses underneath baggy clothes usually have the finest asses.

I'm an ass-man. BALLA BALLA

El Sloth

Banned
Oh well. I still recommend checking it out when it's done and over with. I'm always reminded that it's an enjoyable read every time I feel like checking out a chapter.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I wasn't joking man. Rukia and Tatsuki look like they have nice asses. Skinny girls who hide their asses underneath baggy clothes usually have the finest asses.

I'm an ass-man. BALLA BALLA
You balla balla garbage son.

Rukia might just be a dude. I think Kubo was drawing inspiration from Oda on that one. Still, she looks better than all the females in One Piece.

Don't get me wrong though. I'd hit. But not before any of dem bitches I mentioned. TITS FIRST
LLShC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom