• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
No man, it's Robin because... do I even have to say it?!

Glenn Beckmann. It's uncanny. I can't fap to that.

Anyway, Bleach is dumb and the most unrealistic manga because Ichigo is 15 at the beginning of the series and so is Inoue. You telling me that there exist 15 old girls with boobs bigger than watermelons?

tumblr_llaj1fufIL1qzjix8.gif

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Anyway, Bleach is dumb and the most unrealistic manga because Ichigo is 15 at the beginning of the series and so is Inoue. You telling me that there exist 15 old girls with boobs bigger than watermelons?

Sure. Any 15 year old girl who lives on her own in an apartment she doesn't have to pay rent for because her parents and brother are dead automatically develops giant boobs. Natural law man.

PK Gaming

Man I don't know whats pissing me off more. Stat's Zoro dickriding or Big One's Usopp fanaticism.

Both characters are fucking good for their own reasons.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Man I don't know whats pissing me off more. Stat's Zoro dickriding or Big One's Usopp fanaticism.
Don't hate. Zoro shits on all the SH's. He's a man.

Luffy is a little boy that copies Mr. Fantastic in an attempt to be a true shonen hero.

And don't get me started on Robin. Borin is such a terrible character. She does nothing but want to scratch off some moss in attempts to find some ol' shit nobody cares about anymore. Borin is also a character that is devoid of any fighting ability and in that sense, she may as well be tied to the ship with an anchor when the SH's go on their adventures.

She is a disgrace to all females in fiction.

PK Gaming

Nah, Luffy > SH since he's... you know, the captain.

Also Luffy shits on mr. fantastic. That bastard can stretch at will, and despite being a genius he has no sense of creativity. Luffy needs to wind up in order to stretch, has gears, and is an expert fighter. Mr. Fantastic would get his ass handed to him on a silver platter by Luffy...

If he wasn't constantly buffed by the marvel writers.

EDIT: You kind of gave it away with that Robin write up ~_o

Big One

Banned
And don't get me started on Zoro. Zorhoe is such a terrible character. He does nothing but want to scratch off some moss in attempts to find some ol' shit nobody cares about anymore. Zorhoe is also a character that is devoid of any character and in that sense, he may as well be tied to the ship with an anchor when the SH's go on their adventures.
Fixed/Rated: C+

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nah, Luffy > SH since he's... you know, the captain.

Also Luffy shits on mr. fantastic. That bastard can stretch at will, and despite being a genius he has no sense of creativity. Luffy needs to wind up in order to stretch, has gears, and is an expert fighter. Mr. Fantastic would get his ass handed to him on a silver platter by Luffy...

If he wasn't constantly buffed by the marvel writers.

EDIT: You kind of gave it away with that Robin write up ~_o

You just realized it now...?

Which begs to question why he is doing it in the first place. Probably was extremely bored or something.

Big One

Banned
Stat Flow is just butthurt that Bleach has been hated on for so long that he has to hate on One Piece. He's regressing to Beam-level now.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Stat Flow is just butthurt that Bleach has been hated on for so long that he has to hate on One Piece. He's regressing to Beam-level now.
How am I hating on One Piece when I was just "dick-riding" Zoro? That is a character in One Piece...you know.

I don't give any shits if ya'll losers hate on Bleach. You think I care what ya'll like? I don't.

Anyways, I don't know why ya'll hating. It's all in good fun.
KuGsj.gif

Big One

Banned
How am I hating on One Piece when I was just "dick-riding" Zoro? That is a character in One Piece...you know.

I don't give any shits if ya'll losers hate on Bleach. You think I care what ya'll like? I don't.

Anyways, I don't know why ya'll hating. It's all in good fun.
KuGsj.gif
Don't deny it. Bleach has been hated on since ancient times. The Bleach fans have been rising lately... "One Piece sucks." they say. "I like Bleach." they say. For years, saying such things are unacceptable and very rarely you'd hear that aside from people who've only seen the 4kids dub and people who just generally dislike "cliche" shonen. The thirteenth seal was broken after Angry Grimace's ban, and now, they come.

Big One

Banned
At least still Bleach is better than Naruto. I don't get why people like Naruto better when it's so much fucking lamer, dumber, worse characters, worse art, etc.

Wiseblade

A Town Where There is no Plot

Says it all really. How much longer can this go on?

Silver Spoon
iniP4e35YBGer.gif

Well, I'm in the camp who just doesn't want meaning to be lost. So for example, I prefer honorifics since there is meaning behind them. Honorifics often replace what would be necessary in English to converse in a specific manner. And there are often plot moments where a change in honorifics is a big deal. So I say they should be left in because a) It doesn't hurt anybody b) Those meanings are not lost.

Easily translatable words should absolutely be translated. But you shouldn't do stuff like sub yakisoba for spaghetti. And I don't believe translations should insert cursing and such if it is not called for. I've seen it done well. As for manga names, I believe survivor and I had this discussion before. We usually pick the one that is easiest to type or fits best. An easy example is Yanki-kun to Megane-chan vs. Flunk Punk Rumble. Fuck Fluck Punk Rumble cause it sounds stupid and has nothing to do with the original name. Shingeki no Kyojin should be Advance of the Giants though. I'm not sure how that shit got started.

Finally, sub vs. dub is preference. There are good dubs out there but I don't feel like searching for them. And I actually also enjoy hearing familiar seiyu and such. I often guess the voice actors in new shows and I also have some favorites. So I personally don't really prefer subs over dubs, I just don't see the need to mess with what's already there.

While there are cases where honorifics are kind of important, in the vast majority of cases they're easily translatable into an english equivalent or left out entirely without losing anything. Just having them the way they are simply serves as an unnecessary obstacle to people who don't know the secret code. The most popular Toku subbing group translates like this and it's AMAZING.

I kind of agree on titles that don't really have any relation to the series like Flunk Punk Rumble are dumb, But personally that's far easier to remember than a string of letters in a language I don't understand.

upandaway

TLR D 16

Rito's kinda going quality-over-quantity for his fantasies compared to Momo. It's a good combination.

Also I should really be used to it at this point but I still laughed at the plant specifically grabbing her nipple.

Shaman King 192

First Ren and now Chocolove.. they just keep dying and getting revived. It seems like the author wrote himself into a corner with having to die to get stronger.

vareon

While there are cases where honorifics are kind of important, in the vast majority of cases they're easily translatable into an english equivalent or left out entirely without losing anything. Just having them the way they are simply serves as an unnecessary obstacle to people who don't know the secret code. The most popular Toku subbing group translates like this and it's AMAZING.

I kind of agree on titles that don't really have any relation to the series like Flunk Punk Rumble are dumb, But personally that's far easier to remember than a string of letters in a language I don't understand.

Honorifics aren't the big part of the problem--the way I see it, I can get some insights on how Japanese address each other according to age, gender, etc, or when it is being used in a different meaning. If one is familiar with the term "manga", then they'd probably already get used to it. I agree that it shouldn't be used in an official translation though.

That tokusatsu sub is a different level of stupidity. No way "Can I call you onii-san?" is acceptable in any level of translation.

Wiseblade

TLR Darkness 16

Yeah, giving tentacle seeds to the clumsy teacher was a great idea, Momo. ¬.¬

Honorifics aren't the big part of the problem--the way I see it, I can get some insights on how Japanese address each other according to age, gender, etc, or when it is being used in a different meaning. If one is familiar with the term "manga", then they'd probably already get used to it. I agree that it shouldn't be used in an official translation though.

That tokusatsu sub is a different level of stupidity. No way "Can I call you onii-san?" is acceptable in any level of translation.

Not that one, I was talking about the group that did Gokaiger. In pretty much every case I can remember, they've put in the effort to write around honorifics in a way that feels pretty natural.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The problem with the ending is that there is no ending. It was probably cancelled abruptly.

Just reached the ending.

You're right; I can see why people would consider its ending as bad or even non-existent at all.

However, I must say that it has been a while since I read something so engrossing like that. The ending might be disappointing, but the journey from the beginning to the end was extraordinarily involving and, simply put, amazing for me personally. It's too bad that in the end the author seemed so fond of going philosophical all of a sudden but no matter, it's just a small hitch in an otherwise incredible manga (for me).

So many amazing scenes that perfectly captured the sense of helplessness and dread. And so many out of this world scenes too! Like the tornado and the giant black void. The consistent art from the beginning to the end was a huge boon too to my enjoyment.

Not regretting reading it one bit.

Anyways, any recommendations for any other end of the world manga like this, flawfuls? Outside I am a Hero and Gyo.

I know you guys are trolling like there's no tomorrow BUT I have to lose a few words about Robin here:

I totally agree with Stat, she's such an useless character and one of the biggest flaws of OP. It's pretty obvious that Oda only wrote her into the SH so that he can flesh out the lost history (which is, contrary to Stats belief, a fucking big deal in the OP world). I really hope that Oda adds more to her character instead of letting us guess if she has the hots for Luffy or not...

And bring back her old hairstyle ffs.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I know you guys are trolling like there's no tomorrow BUT I have to lose a few words about Robin here:

I totally agree with Stat, she's such an useless character and one of the biggest flaws of OP. It's pretty obvious that Oda only wrote her into the SH so that he can flesh out the lost history (which is, contrary to Stats belief, a fucking big deal in the OP world). I really hope that Oda adds more to her character instead of letting us guess if she has the hots for Luffy or not...

Speaking seriously...I do believe the lost history is an intriguing storyline. I believe that using that plotline to flesh out a characters use is, as you say, a problem. I don't care about or like Robin's character.

Speaking seriously...I do believe the lost history is an intriguing storyline. I believe that using that plotline to flesh out a characters use is, as you say, a problem. I don't care about or like Robin's character.

I think it's actually the other way around. Robin is just an instrument Oda uses to bring the ancient history into the manga. Every other SH has an apparent use, well, except for Usopp because Franky handles the weapons mostly now. But Usopp has at least some entertainment value and character. I was thrilled when we got that Ohara/Aokiji flashback because I thought Oda would use that to make more out of Robin than "that other girl". It's a shame, really, because I still think Oda is able to write some decent females but Robin is beyond awful.

Wiseblade

I don't think anyone sane will disagree that Robin is a plot device with legs, but I don't think she is quite as terrible as you might do. For starters, I think her powers are pretty entertaining to watch and it;s a shame she hasn't had a proper fight to show them off in. And the makes her fair share of jokes in the crew interactions, so at least she isn't dragging things down in that regard. All in all I think the Lost history sub-plot is interesting enough to justify creating a main character to "uncover" it.

flawfuls

Just reached the ending.

You're right; I can see why people would consider its ending as bad or even non-existent at all.

However, I must say that it has been a while since I read something so engrossing like that. The ending might be disappointing, but the journey from the beginning to the end was extraordinarily involving and, simply put, amazing for me personally. It's too bad that in the end the author seemed so fond of going philosophical all of a sudden but no matter, it's just a small hitch in an otherwise incredible manga (for me).

Yeah I agree with you 100%. The whole thing was a fantastic experience and at least the ending wasn't one of those rape your memories endings. I just wish there was more.

So many amazing scenes that perfectly captured the sense of helplessness and dread. And so many out of this world scenes too! Like the tornado and the giant black void. The consistent art from the beginning to the end was a huge boon too to my enjoyment.

Not regretting reading it one bit.

Yes this is exactly what makes this manga so great. The mangaka kind sucks at drawing, but he is still a great artist. The visuals are just so powerful and it just never stops being powerful. I have never been caught up in a manga's atmosphere as much as I was with dragon head.

Anyways, any recommendations for any other end of the world manga like this, flawfuls? Outside I am a Hero and Gyo.

FOURTEEEEEEEEEEN

uMdcy.png

LqdJN.png

Obviously Fourteen is a little sillier, but it is also a powerful (and maddening) experience.

Drifting Classroom is a classic as well. It's by the Fourteen author and is probably his most famous work. It's still laughably crazy, but it easier to take seriously than Fourteen.

Sprite from what I've read is pretty decent and somewhat reminiscent of Dragon head (with a fair bit of Drifting Classroom as well)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Thanks. But man, I think it's going to be hard for me now to find a similar feeling like those instilled by Dragon Head in any other manga. The scene when the characters descended into the massive black void.... man that was so, so awesome. It's impressive how a manga from 1995 could instill that kind of sensation in me.

The author never really outright stated what's the cause behind the calamity, huh? I got a pretty good idea although it would be nice if he could explain it more.

And apparently it's the last manga ever made by the author? Such a shame.

Oh well.....

I'm interested in hunting its live-movie adaptation too, hmmm.........

flawfuls

Thanks. But man, I think it's going to be hard for me now to find a similar feeling like those instilled by Dragon Head in any other manga. The scene when the characters descended into the massive black void.... man that was so, so awesome. It's impressive how a manga from 1995 could instill that kind of sensation in me.

I know the feel bro. I don't think there is anything out there quite like Dragon Head.

And apparently it's the last manga ever made by the author? Such a shame.

Uh no he did quite a few things after that according to mangaupdates, but none of them were translated and I'm not sure if they were horror manga either.

Somebody translated even a manga of his recently called Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl. It was fun, but sadly nothing like Dragon Head.

Bentles

Well this is a very mature conversation. "My character is better than yours LALALALALA IM NOT LISTENING".

Anyway I like Usopp because he's shit scared in every fight but he still goes through with it. There's nothing shameful about being upset about a ship being destroyed either. It came from someone special to him and he feels the greatest bond with it.

I also like Zoro because he's a badass who doesn't give a shit about anything. But One Piece is better for having Usopp. Not every character should be fearless and unrelentingly confident in their abilities. It's better for them to be different from each other.

neoanarch

Eden: Its and Endless World

I don't know what to be pissed off about. The way Wycliffe and the girl went out or the revelation that the apocalypse wasn't anywhere near as bad as assumed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eden: Its and Endless World

I don't know what to be pissed off about. The way Wycliffe and the girl went out or the revelation that the apocalypse wasn't anywhere near as bad as assumed.
Get ready for a wild ride.

neoanarch

Get ready for a wild ride.

I was expecting a wild ride. Its fun, I wouldn't say good since its very disjointed. I don't see the point of the Kenji flashback. The first chapter has nothing to do with the rest of the manga so far. I should probably read it in between my baseball manga backlog.

I think it's actually the other way around. Robin is just an instrument Oda uses to bring the ancient history into the manga. Every other SH has an apparent use, well, except for Usopp because Franky handles the weapons mostly now. But Usopp has at least some entertainment value and character. I was thrilled when we got that Ohara/Aokiji flashback because I thought Oda would use that to make more out of Robin than "that other girl". It's a shame, really, because I still think Oda is able to write some decent females but Robin is beyond awful.

Trash talk Robin is awesome , she gathers info for the crew plus i like how she is calm compare to when everyone is freaking out and her dark humor .
She seems to gotten more playful since the time skip , she also save Luffy and the SH a good amount of times when they fight.
Any way first post seems i miss the troll fun between BO and Stat .

Kimi No Iru Machi 1

Oh, that's Suzuka. Ahem.

Why does Haruto acts like a complete retard ?
Why did I see toddlers who were more mature than him ?
Seriously, what is wrong with him ?

Oh, I get it, in fact, it is quite clever and a true feat that Koji Seo has granted us. In fact, I imagine KNIM is going to be a series about Haruto struggling with his antisocial personality disorder, and the introduction of an outsider, Eba, will make him reconsider his point of view on a lot of issues in life. It will also help him understand better the social interactions that define the human species, and thus become a man worthy of being loved by Nanami.
I can perfectly imagine and depict all the hardships, fits and crisis that Haruto will have to struggle with and overcome in order to be cured from his ailment. It will be a beautiful tale of a coming-of-age adolescent who had a little problem, and manages to get over it and finally understands the very core of the human heart and interactions between people.

Either that, or it will be 174 chapters of perpetual douchery, stupidity and WHHYYYYY?
Sigh, I can't wait to read them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom