• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

You're more aggressive than usual Big One. Reading your post is like checking out salt mines.

did you lose a fight?

was it over a girl ♪

Glass Rebel

ehhh there a fair amount of bullshit for example the way the mc lost an arm and died(eaten) but magical came back as giant was a load of bullshit, it came out of nowhere with 0 mention of whole giant experiment been done to him but after it happed his like "yeah daddy did some weird tests on me and shit need go to some house and shit" , it's clear the mangaka is making a lot of shit on the spot, stuff like flash backs aswell.

am way behind on it anyways

Ehh, I don't feel that way at all. I mean, you're right, it happens a few times but I don't think it hurts the manga at all. Anyway...

Shingeki no Kyojin ch. 31

Finally caught up and damn I didn't see that coming. Just one thing though, how did Eren manage to escape?Did I miss a chapter or something? Either way, the next chapter is gonna be a riot.

Buster Keel vol 1

6tY4w.jpg

This is such a ripoff of Fairy Tail and Rave, but it's so entertaining that I don't even care. All Shounenbros need to read this. I don't know how it stayed under the radar for so long.

survivor

Banned
Ehh, I don't feel that way at all. I mean, you're right, it happens a few times but I don't think it hurts the manga at all. Anyway...

Shingeki no Kyojin ch. 31

Finally caught up and damn I didn't see that coming. Just one thing though, how did Eren manage to escape?Did I miss a chapter or something? Either way, the next chapter is gonna be a riot.

Escape from what?

In all honesty, I thought they just setup the whole plan from the start, but reading it again, maybe they didn't. Either way, there was a panel where you see them swapping places in the cart.

Wiseblade

Though, seriously, sub > dub~
While a good dub is harder to make and a lot rarer, they do exist and blanket statements like that just encourage elitist weeaboo attitudes and behavour. It's the reason he have morons who like "leaving in" easily translatable words and honorifics.

Kreed

What makes you think I'm being ungrateful? I'm just saying it should be called Advance of the Giants instead of Shogeki no kojin or whatever the fuck it's called

Sorry, it's just that there have been others in the previous two manga threads "harping" about wanting the English name over the Japanese name and it's gotten old, but that's not your fault. I'm just glad to see the manga getting discussed at all in this thread.

Glass Rebel

Escape from what?

That's what I'd like to know too actually. From what Armin said to Annie I thought Eren was supposed to be captured but next thing I know he's walking with them on the streets. I guess there was a cart and Jean was used as decoy but the author was really vague on this.

gunbo13

While a good dub is harder to make and a lot rarer, they do exist and blanket statements like that just encourage elitist weeaboo attitudes and behavour. It's the reason he have morons who like "leaving in" easily translatable words and honorifics.
Well, I'm in the camp who just doesn't want meaning to be lost. So for example, I prefer honorifics since there is meaning behind them. Honorifics often replace what would be necessary in English to converse in a specific manner. And there are often plot moments where a change in honorifics is a big deal. So I say they should be left in because a) It doesn't hurt anybody b) Those meanings are not lost.

Easily translatable words should absolutely be translated. But you shouldn't do stuff like sub yakisoba for spaghetti. And I don't believe translations should insert cursing and such if it is not called for. I've seen it done well. As for manga names, I believe survivor and I had this discussion before. We usually pick the one that is easiest to type or fits best. An easy example is Yanki-kun to Megane-chan vs. Flunk Punk Rumble. Fuck Fluck Punk Rumble cause it sounds stupid and has nothing to do with the original name. Shingeki no Kyojin should be Advance of the Giants though. I'm not sure how that shit got started.

Finally, sub vs. dub is preference. There are good dubs out there but I don't feel like searching for them. And I actually also enjoy hearing familiar seiyu and such. I often guess the voice actors in new shows and I also have some favorites. So I personally don't really prefer subs over dubs, I just don't see the need to mess with what's already there.

survivor

Banned
Kurogane - last 5 chapters

This manga sucks and it's boring. The MC pisses me off and I just wanna punch him. That new dude was alright but now he is a nobody. And for a manga about swords and shit, there is awfully a lot of text that goes nowhere.

Oh and there is only one cute girl in the whole cast of characters. I don't even know why I'm reading this. I rather take the Nisekoi/Kagami/Pajama string of shitty slice of life manga that WSJ keeps adding over Kurogane.

Azure J

I can't believe I forgot I was reading Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer again. :lol

Gonna try to get in a few chapters of that and wait for Manga GAF to suggest something wild for us to read again.

gunbo13

Oh and there is only one cute girl in the whole cast of characters. I don't even know why I'm reading this. I rather take the Nisekoi/Kagami/Pajama string of shitty slice of life manga that WSJ keeps adding over Kurogane.
Yea, that one is going way down in the queue now.
I can't believe I forgot I was reading Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer again. :lol

Gonna try to get in a few chapters of that and wait for Manga GAF to suggest something wild for us to read again.
Read Lucifer BH. But you can read Negative Happy Chain Saw Edge as a complete distraction if you'd like.

Well, I'm in the camp who just doesn't want meaning to be lost. So for example, I prefer honorifics since there is meaning behind them. Honorifics often replace what would be necessary in English to converse in a specific manner. And there are often plot moments where a change in honorifics is a big deal. So I say they should be left in because a) It doesn't hurt anybody b) Those meanings are not lost.

Easily translatable words should absolutely be translated. But you shouldn't do stuff like sub yakisoba for spaghetti. And I don't believe translations should insert cursing and such if it is not called for. I've seen it done well. As for manga names, I believe survivor and I had this discussion before. We usually pick the one that is easiest to type or fits best. An easy example is Yanki-kun to Megane-chan vs. Flunk Punk Rumble. Fuck Fluck Punk Rumble cause it sounds stupid and has nothing to do with the original name. Shingeki no Kyojin should be Advance of the Giants though. I'm not sure how that shit got started.

Finally, sub vs. dub is preference. There are good dubs out there but I don't feel like searching for them. And I actually also enjoy hearing familiar seiyu and such. I often guess the voice actors in new shows and I also have some favorites. So I personally don't really prefer subs over dubs, I just don't see the need to mess with what's already there.
I'm know I'm alone on this one, but I vastly prefer dubs over subs in most instances as I cannot fucking stand the sound of the Japanese language, which I, personally, find annoying as hell to listen too.

gunbo13

I'm know I'm alone on this one, but I vastly prefer dubs over subs in most instances as I cannot fucking stand the sound of the Japanese language, which I, personally, find annoying as hell to listen too.
No, that is pretty common. But not all Japanese voice acting has that grating sound that turns many people off. Ami Koshimizu (Holo), Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch), and the man Tomokazu Sugita (Gintoki) all deliver well in Japanese. You'd probably be best avoiding Rie Kugimiya series though. Baka!

Lain

I'm lost in this sea of words. So, nakama left in, yes or no? Wait, you said seiyu!
a2a3ba4e4ee015f2610933ffd2e02dcc9cc2ff74.gif

scy

Touche. There are a few good dubs (and they've definitely improved, generally speaking, over the years) so blanket statements are doing a bit of a disservice.

Just according to keikaku and so-on.

This manga sucks and it's boring. The MC pisses me off and I just wanna punch him. That new dude was alright but now he is a nobody. And for a manga about swords and shit, there is awfully a lot of text that goes nowhere.

It's like the possibility of Sayuri being a reincarnation and creating a love triangle just wasn't an option or something. Then again, maybe I'd be hating on it instead if it went that route...

I'm more curious how this will remain interesting beyond asspulls of "lol, Yodaka's actually not the best." I mean, is the eventual confrontation just going to get dragged out forever? There seems to be a rather small amount of teams to even go up against so how exactly would this work out in the long run? Meh...

gunbo13

I'm lost in this sea of words. So, nakama left in, yes or no? Wait, you said seiyu!
http://i.picpar.com/a2a3ba4e4ee015f2610933ffd2e02dcc9cc2ff74.gif[img][/QUOTE]
I love Perry Bible Fellowship. Put those strips along with xkcd up at work all the time.

survivor

Banned
I'm more curious how this will remain interesting beyond asspulls of "lol, Yodaka's actually not the best." I mean, is the eventual confrontation just going to get dragged out forever? There seems to be a rather small amount of teams to even go up against so how exactly would this work out in the long run? Meh...
"MY EYES CAN SEE EVERYTHING"

I eagerly await the time traveling arc where they have to save Japan.

I love Perry Bible Fellowship. Put those strips along with xkcd up at work all the time.

so fucking good

gunbo13

I use this daily.
Bunch of IT geeks in a manga thread. Who woulda thought.

We should do list reads of IT or really computer heavy manga.

Accel World (future online gaming)
Dengeki Daisy (hackers, mostly shoujo though)
Half Prince (MMO)
TWGOK (games)

I'm reading/read all those though. I'm trying to think of others but most that come to mind are anime.

Bunch of IT geeks in a manga thread. Who woulda thought.

We should do list reads of IT or really computer heavy manga.

Accel World (future online gaming)
Dengeki Daisy (hackers, mostly shoujo though)
Half Prince (MMO)
TWGOK (games)

I'm reading/read all those though. I'm trying to think of others but most that come to mind are anime.

Bloody Monday the protagonist is a hacker and use his IT skills to save Japan.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there a manga where an IT guy saves the world?

Or a game programmer. Seems like an obvious choice.

gunbo13

Steins;Gate has a manga.

I'm a super hacka
Meh, adaptation.

Anime is filled with the IT theme though with Lain, GitS, Summer Wars, Cyber Coil, Steins;Gate, Eden of the East, Cowboy Bebop etc... I guess it has something to do with the future/hacker shit being better suited for TV.

Sogeking Theme song in the anime is manly as fuck, god I love the birth of sogeking one of my favorite moment in One Piece it came completely out of left field.

survivor

Banned
Meh, adaptation.

Anime is filled with the IT theme though with Lain, GitS, Summer Wars, Cyber Coil, Steins;Gate, Eden of the East, Cowboy Bebop etc... I guess it has something to do with the future/hacker shit being better suited for TV.

There is Battle Programmer Shirase. I watched the first episode long time ago and it was so fucking bad. Then again they had a moe motherboard I believe. Oh well.

Eden of the East was hilarious. Never thought I will see an anime about building a phone Facebook.

On another note, I remember seeing a manga picture with C code in it but I know it wasn't an IT type of manga. It was just the mangaka being a former programmer. Just wish I can remember the name of it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, I couldn't take the post seriously after that statement. Zoro will forever be best Straw Hat

Nope nope nope.

Zoro is cool and all, but he's boring. He's there to stand and act cool, but that's it! He's a pretty "straight-forward" guy with little to no wiggle room for character development.

Sanji, Luffy, and (sigh) Usopp are a lot and will always be a lot more interesting than him.

In another note, using terms like "mentally challenged"...? Heated arguments are fine, but in my book once someone starts using terms like this he has already gone and ran beyond the acceptable line. I mean, for fuck sake, really?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yes. Solely because he gets an entire character arc where he develops from being a comedic wimp to a complete badass.
Oh. Is this what happened? To me, what happened was that Usopp was butthurt that the boat his main squeeze gave him was done for. Luffy told him, and he couldn't accept it.

Then, he fucking challenged Luffy and got his ass whooped (this took courage, sure). Because of his pride, he didn't want to come crawling back with his tail between his legs, and came instead under the disguise of "Sogeking".

After all was said and done, a true boss (Zoro) made sure this motherfucker who disrespected Luffy did not come back with his usual bullshit and thus he came crawling back to the crew.

And afterwards, he's the same dumbass he always was. Now with a realization of who the real boss is.

Nope nope nope.

Zoro is cool and all, but he's boring. He's there to stand and act cool, but that's it! He's a pretty "straight-forward" guy with little to no wiggle room for character development.
I don't see it this way. I see him as Luffy's "rock" so to speak. He is the one that Luffy depends on the most for more than just strength. Take this "Usopp" character development arc for example. Who was the one that Luffy could confide in to make decisions on what to do when it came to accepting Usopp back into the crew? Zoro.

Zoro is not just there to "be cool". Only someone who looks at his strength only would say that. He plays an important role in the crew, and that's to keep everyone grounded on the fact that what they are doing is not just a game. It's real life, and the world of pirates is serious shit.

survivor

Banned
Silver Spoon

Hahahah
80n18.png

They still haven't revealed what made Mikage cry, but it looks like it's more related to the baseball dude than her. Maybe he is having some family trouble or wants to do something big I guess.

Articalys

GE Good Ending 118

It all returns to nothing, it all comes
tumbling down, tumbling down,
tumbling down
It all returns to nothing, I just keep
letting me down, letting me down,
letting me down

Unfortunately it was inevitable though. Also, fuck the photography teacher.

And damn it, I read too slow; survivor stole the exact reaction I was going to use for Silver Spoon 33, so instead I'll just say the trolling with that manga plot that Yoshino was reading (which sounds suspiciously like Touch/Cross Game) was glorious. It's probably something incredibly minor anyway.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't see it this way. I see him as Luffy's "rock" so to speak. He is the one that Luffy depends on the most for more than just strength. Take this "Usopp" character development arc for example. Who was the one that Luffy could confide in to make decisions on what to do when it came to accepting Usopp back into the crew? Zoro.

Zoro is not just there to "be cool". Only someone who looks at his strength only would say that. He plays an important role in the crew, and that's to keep everyone grounded on the fact that what they are doing is not just a game. It's real life, and the world of pirates is serious shit.

Well, I must admit your argument does have merit. Although regardless, he is still located somewhat low on my "most likable Strawhat characters." As long as Chopper is still in the strawhat he will never sit at the very bottom of my list though, hahaha.

Anyway, DRAGON HEAD. I am reading this and now in Volume 7 Chapter 7. What a fantastic manga. I heard the ending is completely bonker? But regardless, the journey up to this point has been fantastic.

GOOD ENDING 118

For God's sake... Poor Shou. She hasn't done anything wrong at all, and yet she's the one that is hurt the most by now. Goddamn it.

Lain

Buster Keel vol 1

6tY4w.jpg

This is such a ripoff of Fairy Tail and Rave, but it's so entertaining that I don't even care. All Shounenbros need to read this. I don't know how it stayed under the radar for so long.

I think I asked if anyone had read it some time ago to get an opinion on it because I was thinking about purchasing it but felt too lazy to check some scanlations. So it's good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom