• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
It's really not that hard. OP's arcs can get just as long and super boring as the ones in other shonen and it has just as many annoying and stupid characters.
Only if you were mentally challenged, sure. There's nothing super long and boring about One Piece arcs. How the fuck can characters being annoying and stupid when they're so fucking awesome? Did you not grow up on cartoons or something? Your childhood must suck. One Piece brings all the nostalgia of watching Looney Tunes, Disney, and random cartoons from the 80's and 90's back to me in a fucking awesome package full of manly shit, awesome adventures, strange characters, and an actual story.

Only if you were mentally challenged, sure. There's nothing super long and boring about One Piece arcs. How the fuck can characters being annoying and stupid when they're so fucking awesome? Did you not grow up on cartoons or something? Your childhood must suck. One Piece brings all the nostalgia of watching Looney Tunes, Disney, and random cartoons from the 80's and 90's back to me in a fucking awesome package full of manly shit, awesome adventures, strange characters, and an actual story.

....You're starting to become what DTL used to be...

survivor

Banned
Pft cartoons. I grew up watching awesome anime not the kiddy trashy cartoons.

Read it now.

I'm not japanese so I'm saying the better and more familiar english name instead.
We lost the war to the weaboos.

I think Advance of the Giants is a more badass name. Even better than the official English name, Attack on Titan. So fucking bad

Big One

Banned
Nostalgic yes, but in hindsight, most were shit, or only appeal to kids.
Who the fuck cares about this shit? Most cartoons aren't shit if you didn't have bad taste. Oh yeah most of them Pixar and Disney films...complete shit. Yeah right.

Desmond

Who the fuck cares about this shit? Most cartoons aren't shit if you didn't have bad taste. Oh yeah most of them Pixar and Disney films...complete shit. Yeah right.

I'm talking about most cartoon shows, I should have specified. I'm a huge Disney film fan I must admit.

Most cartoons were drivel, though there were some standouts.

Looney toons only appealed to kids, Flintstones Jetsons too? Ducktales TailSpin House of Mouse? All are even more enjoyable as one gets older :(
I said most, and I meant the shows made when I was growing up, not the classic Hanna Barbara, WB stuff.

Big One

Banned
I'm talking about most cartoon shows, I should have specified. I'm a huge Disney film fan I must admit.

Most cartoons were drivel, though there were some standouts.
Even then that doesn't really dispute what I mean. It isn't that I don't agree with the sentiment necessarily, even though I disagree that "just for kids" is an argument cause even adults can find old cartoons watchable, amusing, emotionally investing, etc. etc. However the point is that One Piece's character design brings me back nostalgically to the type of crazy shit you'd see in both bad and good cartoons. It also reminds me of Alice and Oz books, which brings it to a very child-like, nostalgic level. Now that isn't the case for everyone necessarily, but to say the characters are "stupid" just pretty much invalidates the entire history of silly character design, children's literature, and cartoons, effectively saying that you're shutting off yourself from an entire portion of history here.

gunbo13

mj9jW.jpg

And less...

oEXle.jpg

thetechkid

Is anyone else reading Amatsuki? Because of school I haven't had much time to read anything besides the big three and this but I'm enjoying Amatsuki. I'm not caught up yet but I gotta say the quality of art alone is worth it.

Wiseblade

Are you enjoying the plot?

Yeah, the idea of taking an economic approach to the traditional RPG fantasy setting is pretty interesting.

TVTropes tells me there's 5 different versions each with varying degrees of seriousness, and I'm not entirely sure which one I'm reading. :/

EDIT: I also love how everyone's name is simply their occupation.

Bentles

Looked them up on Wikipedia, they sound pretty nice. I'm gonna start with Pluto and Übel Blatt, I guess. Thanks for the recommendations.
Ah dude I just thought of something: Planetes. Go read that if you liked Vinland Saga, it's by the same guy. Add that to your list if it interests you.

Actually speaking of Planetes I've heard lot's of praise for the anime but to me it has nothing on the manga. There's lots of filler, inconsequential, episodic stuff in the anime whereas each mini-arc in the manga felt deliberate and meaningful. It doesn't stick to the manga's back-and-forth style of storytelling either.

I couldn't get into it since it took ages to get to the crux of the story with all that stuff added to it. Maybe I'm just biased because I read the manga first.

Tess3ract

Banned
Just be happy scanlation groups are scanlating it at all.

Great, now that annoying GIF has invaded Best GAF.
What makes you think I'm being ungrateful? I'm just saying it should be called Advance of the Giants instead of Shogeki no kojin or whatever the fuck it's called

Ambitious

Ah dude I just thought of something: Planetes. Go read that if you liked Vinland Saga, it's by the same guy. Add that to your list if it interests you.

Actually speaking of Planetes I've heard lot's of praise for the anime but to me it has nothing on the manga. There's lots of filler, inconsequential, episodic stuff in the anime whereas each mini-arc in the manga felt deliberate and meaningful. It doesn't stick to the manga's back-and-forth style of storytelling either.

I couldn't get into it since it took ages to get to the crux of the story with all that stuff added to it. Maybe I'm just biased because I read the manga first.

Oh, I did not know there's an Planetes manga too. It's actually on my anime list; I intended to watch it within the next few weeks.
The way you describe the anime, I think I'm gonna go the same route as with most of the series I listed: The anime first as an appetizer, the manga afterwards as the full meal.

Griffith

Banned
Dragon Head 14

Yep, this kid is completely bat shit crazy now. I really like the face paint he's started wearing, it looks suitably creepy.

Glass Rebel

Shingeki no Kyojin Ch. 21

Lowest bullshit-level in any manga I'm currently reading. Can't wait to see how this expedition plays out. sogood.jpg

Cwarrior

Shingeki no Kyojin Ch. 21

Lowest bullshit-level in any manga I'm currently reading. Can't wait to see how this expedition plays out. sogood.jpg

ehhh there a fair amount of bullshit for example the way the mc lost an arm and died(eaten) but magical came back as giant was a load of bullshit, it came out of nowhere with 0 mention of whole giant experiment been done to him but after it happed his like "yeah daddy did some weird tests on me and shit need go to some house and shit" , it's clear the mangaka is making a lot of shit on the spot, stuff like flash backs aswell.

am way behind on it anyways

iavi

P
We lost the war to the weaboos.

I think Advance of the Giants is a more badass name. Even better than the official English name, Attack on Titan. So fucking bad

Shingeki no Kyoujin sounds 100x more badass than than Advance of the Giants. That's just how it is, man. Sorry to spit the truth so bluntly.

It's been a while since I was really active in a manga thread and I'm not really sure, but ...

are you serious? Or is that a parody post and you're just imitating the OP hardcores? If so, good job. *thumbs up*

Your username does ring a bell, though. Aren't you one of the troll characters like DTL? I can't really remember, so if I'm mistaken, I apologize. If you're actually serious, then read my post on the previous page, where I explained the boring and stupid shit in OP.

Lain

Speaking of Jojo, how's part 8 shaping up? Part 7 was my first exposition to the series, and it wasn't all that great, especially for something about the end I didn't like.
I also wonder how long before it starts getting published over here.

Speaking of Jojo, how's part 8 shaping up? Part 7 was my first exposition to the series, and it wasn't all that great, especially for something about the end I didn't like.
I also wonder how long before it starts getting published over here.

It's a focus mystery of who did it or rather what's going on. I'd recommend part 2 for better Jojo then 3.

Big One

Banned
Your username does ring a bell, though. Aren't you one of the troll characters like DTL? I can't really remember, so if I'm mistaken, I apologize. If you're actually serious, then read my post on the previous page, where I explained the boring and stupid shit in OP.
Yes I'm completely serious. So where is this imaginary post you're speaking of? You mean this post?

Really, just wrong about this. I found Skypiea and FI way too long and extremely boring. Enel was such a filler character. If he wasn't, then I can't wait to see him coming back from the moon, 600 chapters from now, because, you know, Oda is so great at foreshadowing or whatever.

And when I start to talk about the annoying characters of the crew, I definitely will get killed in here. Usopp would be one of them. He was downright useless before the time skip, his story is absolute crap and he didn't really contribute to anything. "But he always fixed up the Going Marry!", so did everyone else over the story line. If he was good at it, they wouldn't need Franky (which is the only redeeming quality he has).
This post is absolutely terrible and I'll explain why in full detail. It's completely deceptive and has no real honest perception of the series. First you intro with a common sentiment everyone has: Fishman Island and Skypiea were boring. You lure people into thinking this is a legitimate opinion that has actual value by introing with this and making it clear that this is why you think One Piece is shit. Then you say...

"Enel was such a filler character."

And this is where the problems come in. This isn't about having an actual opinion here, this is stating something that is contrary to what a statement like that should mean. For one, you have to take in consideration what "filler" actually is. "Filler" is any piece of material that purposely deviates from the main story of the series. A lot of TV shows experience this, like Buffy, Supernatural, etc. with mixed results. However in the case with anime/manga, when you have source material to take in consideration like with One Piece, you can't really factor in filler outside of the "anime filler." The difference between filler in TV shows and filler in anime is that anything that is viewed as contrary to the original source, or an expansion on it, is properly labeled as filler parts because it's not part of the original source's story.

The thing with One Piece is that you have to remember that there is usually never any linked story in between arcs outside of small threads amongst the ones in the major arcs. One Piece has a linked backstory, a world that is actually active and moving. The storyline, however, is arc-by-arc. This is why we have movies in the series like movie 8 and movie 9 that specifically focus on a certain arc's storyline.

Because of this, there can never be any real filler, ever. The only time I can genuinely think of there being filler in the series is when Luffy went to that island with the little black dude in a treasure chest. But even then, that was part of the island-hopping Luffy is doing.

Now whether you like Enel or not is up for debate, but most people think Enel is fucking awesome so you're pretty much alone on that.

Secondly, you also say this...

"And when I start to talk about the annoying characters of the crew, I definitely will get killed in here. Usopp would be one of them. He was downright useless before the time skip, his story is absolute crap and he didn't really contribute to anything. "But he always fixed up the Going Marry!", so did everyone else over the story line."

More stuff laden with factually incorrect information and also missing the entire point of Usopp as a character.

Two points that are factually incorrect:
  1. Usopp was downright useless before the time skip
  2. Everyone else helped fix the Going Merry
Both of these are factually wrong. Usopp was useless till CP9, in which he got a character arc and became one of the most badass characters in the entire series.

The second point bothers me even more, cause I actually did watch the anime up to CP9 arc with a friend of mine recently and only twice did I ever see the crew fix the ship. There was once Luffy was hammering, but he seemed like he lost interest. And then there was another time in Skypeia where Chopper fixed the ship (I also believed he helped Usopp sometimes). Till the CP9 arc, Usopp was the shipwright of the ship. He always was fixing it and did a decent job for not knowing how to handle a ship very well. The problem with the Going Merry wasn't because of Usopp's patches, it's because it wasn't build by an awesome shipwright like Franky.

Usopp is arguably the best character in One Piece, but apparently since he's all "Looney Tunes" that makes him annoying and bad to some.

So no, I do not see a post where you "explained the boring and stupid shit in OP"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom