• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

Nurarihyon no Mago

JpA1x.jpg

Fucking bullshit.

Akito

Honestly, I still like the one-shot better than the actual one so far. Maybe it was just the fact it wrapped up nicely (and the art seemed better in it).

...anyway, idoru doesn't seem like she'll be anywhere remotely close to real competition. This isn't Nisekoi!
Yeah, the series is generic as fuck since the two leads are as bland as it gets and the setting may be sufficient for an oneshot, for an actual serialization not so much.
And I agree, there's no real competition to expect but it's pretty much the same for Nisekoi.

The Lady of Udon
Sweet little story about an art student and well... a lady, who serves udon. The ending is a little disappointing though.

Articalys

I hope you guys wanted more Idolmaster manga, because my god are you guys getting more Idolmaster manga.
Namco Bandai Games producer Yōzō Sakagami revealed on Sunday that The IDOLM@STER game franchise is inspiring eight manga series in eight different magazines and websites. At "The IDOLM@STER 7th Anniversary 765PRO ALLSTARS Minna to Issho ni!" live concert event, Sakagami said that The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Mobage mobile game is spawning manga series in Square Enix's Young Gangan, Big Gangan, and Gangan Joker magazines, as well as on the Gangan Online website.

Jupiter, the male rivals of the 765Pro idols, will spawn three manga series of their own in Hakusensha's Hana to Yume and The Hana to Yume magazines, as well as on the Hana to Yume Online website. The manga series will launch this fall.

Finally, The IDOLM@STER television anime series will get its own manga adaptation by Mana in Ichijinsha's Monthly Comic Rex magazine. Tatsuya Takahashi is writing the scripts, just as he did in several television episodes.

scy

Yeah, the series is generic as fuck since the two leads are as bland as it gets and the setting may be sufficient for an oneshot, for an actual serialization not so much.

I'm fine with the leads just ... being there. I guess coming from the one-shot I was expecting it to be actually progressing from where it left off (him paired with her for the filming) rather than ... well, "lol romcom LOOK THERE'S A SECOND GIRL! WE'LL DRAG THIS OUT plzdonttcancelus"

And I agree, there's no real competition to expect but it's pretty much the same for Nisekoi.

Chitoge flawless victory.

I hope you guys wanted more Idolmaster manga, because my god are you guys getting more Idolmaster manga.

No more Berserk for 2012.

survivor

Banned
Little Red Riding Hood and the Kind Wolf

This is definitely not a kid friendly version of Riding Hood. So sad and depressing without a single written word.

Solune

Nisekoi

Hahahahahahaha, I called it? Hahahahahaha

My prophecy will come true:

The 7 holy key holders must reunite to unleash the ancient Harem King's power lying deep within Raku's pendant to save the world~

As soon as it's in danger of being cancelled BAM battle manga.

Manga stock market? How much to invest in One Piece?
You should consider writing for Nisekoi instead of shitty doujins. Naoshi could use a replacement.

Speaking of One Piece, I saw Keits registered in the weekly thread and he has a OP avatar lol.
The Mobage game seems to have good character designs, at least from the pictures that I see posted.

---

Has gunbo ditched us again or is he too busy playing GW2?

I was gonna say something like I haven't seen gunbo in a while. Smutgaf seems empty without the regulars.

El Sloth

Banned
You should consider writing for Nisekoi instead of shitty doujins. Naoshi could use a replacement.

Speaking of One Piece, I saw Keits registered in the weekly thread and he has a OP avatar lol.
But then I would crowd source the direction of the story from GAF and it would become a clusterfuck of the likes that Japan has never seen before.

I'd do it.

We should try to recruit him into smutGAF just for the hilarious shout outs during EVO.

Zekes!

Kodomo no Jikan 84

I like how things are progressing; the girls are entering their teen years and all the drama with that is slowly mounting up.

Hopefully their graduation to middle school happens with in the next few/handful of chapters, though I bet it'll get dragged out. I just want the drama to start rolling, and I know as soon as they're in middle school it's gonna pop off.

Aoki getting transfered to their new middle school seems like a surefire thing, or at least in close proximity to it. I kind of like the idea of him not being their teacher because it'd would change up their whole interaction.

Defuser

Magi 1-7

This is one of the most charming things I've read in a long time. The chemistry between Aladdin and Alibaba's funny as hell.

also aladdin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> luffy

magialaddin.jpg
Took you long enough. The trailer must so good to get people to start reading on Magi.

Averon

Akame ga Kill 23

Treachery is afoot from Esdese's assistant. Also, it seems Tatsumi may be increasing his harem and we got a new villain.

Pimpwerx

Berserk

zzzZZZzzz. I really wish they'd make it to Fairy Island already. This flashback might give us some info on Guts' feelings towards fairies, but not a great deal given the pacing. Berserk makes Bleach seem like a fast-paced manga. I don't know why I check for updates regularly. It's not like I'm gonna miss anything. It's tedious reading this. I can't wait for this and Gantz to end. Two mangas that have really let me down. PEACE.

Berserk

zzzZZZzzz. I really wish they'd make it to Fairy Island already. This flashback might give us some info on Guts' feelings towards fairies, but not a great deal given the pacing. Berserk makes Bleach seem like a fast-paced manga. I don't know why I check for updates regularly. It's not like I'm gonna miss anything. It's tedious reading this. I can't wait for this and Gantz to end. Two mangas that have really let me down. PEACE.

I'm thinking of not updating myself on this series until i hear/read that they have reached Fairy Island tbh

survivor

Banned
Stardust Memories vol 1 END

A collection of hard sci-fi short stories. Some of them were very interesting with unique concepts and premises, others too boring. Still doesn't touch the ultimate collection of sci-fi short stories I, Robot.

I'm thinking of not updating myself on this series until i hear/read that they have reached Fairy Island tbh
Now that the Disappointing Legend of Korra is over, does that mean you will be more active here?

El Sloth

Banned
THEY HAVEN'T YET!?

Someone please invent human cloning so Miura can clone himself and finally have enough assistants to help him get chapters out faster while maintaining the quality like he wants.

flawfuls

A collection of hard sci-fi short stories. Some of them were very interesting with unique concepts and premises, others too boring. Still doesn't touch the ultimate collection of sci-fi short stories I, Robot.

Have you read 2001 Nights? It's buy the same author and is the same sort of thing, but it's just a much better collection of stories.

Undertaker Riddle 12 - 30
tumblr_m6597sTBqe1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The arc started out dull but got to be pretty amazing once the Arcana subplot was introduced and it changed to being a mafia story. Of the few mafia type stories Ive encountered theyve all been good, guess I like this subgenre? Hiren rising from crybaby status to the above cool status was amazing especially other scenes.

Although it got a drama cd offer, I hope it got an anime offer, 35 chapters must definitely be enough to at least do 12 or 26 episode anime, please.

Kreed

Berserk:

THEY HAVEN'T YET!?

Someone please invent human cloning so Miura can clone himself and finally have enough assistants to help him get chapters out faster while maintaining the quality like he wants.

Does anyone actually expect this manga to have an ending? As in a non cancellation/rushed one?

I'll just be happy for Guts to make it to Elf Island, that's the "ending" for me. Then I can cross that off my list and just wait for Ippo to make it to the World Stage and the Claymore gang to make it to the "other world", all of which will happen years after Luffy finds One Piece.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Berserk:

Does anyone actually expect this manga to have an ending? As in a non cancellation/rushed one?

I'll just be happy for Guts to make it to Elf Island, that's the "ending" for me. Then I can cross that off my list and just wait for Ippo to make it to the World Stage and the Claymore gang to make it to the "other world", all of which will happen years after Luffy finds One Piece.

Berserk is too popular for a cancellation/rushed ending. Miura will die before it ends.

As for Ippo I read a spoiler on SA that may interest you:

Ippo is going to be fighting a world ranked Mexican boxer, whose only losses are against Ricardo Martinez. Vorg is also apparently ranked 1st in WBA, WBC and IBF and is going to fight for a world title (I don't know which).

Azure J

Akame Ga Kill 21 - 23

I can't be the only person who feels like this manga is like Soul Eater in places with the action scenes. That being said, the last few chapters have been fun, Tatsumi being a smart shounen lead is really making me like him more, dat harem and dat Esdese, and holy shit this manga is gory at times.

I should continue to catch up on Magi next.

Undertaker Riddle 30-35
tumblr_m65inbC9dN1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Finally caught up to current. Feels like we are going into the final arc for some reason but I hope it will be long. The various undertakers preparing for the assault on the Arcana, Sakura with his epic serious mode unleashed (hopefully it returns, reminded me of when Tsuna in Reborn goes into deathperation mode) and good art made it a good ride.

-
Guess Ill start Pandora Hearts next or black butler?

robox

Shonan 14 Days - more GTO antics. really cements it as one of the greatest series ever. it makes you want to be a better person.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Berserk:

I predict that Guts will take down Griffith 3 years before Ippo gets onto the world stage. 7 years before Ippo kisses his GF.

Articalys

Interesting:
Hisashi Sasaki, deputy director of Shueisha's Shonen Manga Group and a former Weekly Shonen Jump Editor-in-Chief, said on Monday that "we will make sure" that the previously revealed manga sequel to Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan will be available in English.

Sasaki noted that Hiroshi Shiibashi's Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan (Nurarihyon no Mago) manga is ending its Shonen Jump serialization in this year's 30th issue on Monday. However, the "Aoi Rasen-Jō Saishū Kessen" (Aoi Spiral Castle's Final Battle) sequel will appear in the spinoff magazine Jump Next! in August. Along with the sequel, the current Shonen Jump issue indicated that a "top secret project" in the works.

Shueisha will ship the 22nd volume of the manga next month. Viz Media licensed the manga for North American release and released volume 9 earlier this month.
I guess this does make some sense, seeing as Nura was part of the Shonen Jump Alpha program.

Also, I never noticed that Viz licensed Sensei no Balge as "Barrage".

flawfuls

The Lady of Udon
Sweet little story about an art student and well... a lady, who serves udon. The ending is a little disappointing though.

Just read this and it was pretty cool. The nature of their interactions at the beginning was really charming. I agree with you on the ending though. It seemed like it was heading towards a nice conclusive ending, but instead it feels like it ending one chapter too early. Still it was a pretty good read overall.

upandaway

Akame Ga Kill 21 - 23

I can't be the only person who feels like this manga is like Soul Eater in places with the action scenes. That being said, the last few chapters have been fun, Tatsumi being a smart shounen lead is really making me like him more, dat harem and dat Esdese, and holy shit this manga is gory at times.
I've been thinking this from the beginning, but Tatsumi is seriously perfect. How can someone be so perfect?

It worries me a little that Braht was put up to be as strong as Esdese. This way the only way for Tatsumi to surpass him will be to beat her.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I've been thinking this from the beginning, but Tatsumi is seriously perfect. How can someone be so perfect?

It worries me a little that Braht was put up to be as strong as Esdese. This way the only way for Tatsumi to surpass him will be to beat her.

He's already using his spear and can use stealth without any major strain. I don't think its gonna take tatsumi much to surpass him. But that chick with the dog needs to be dead asap.

Pluto Vol. 2

I'm not really experienced with the Astro Boy franchise, but his portrayal here still took me aback. Most of the main characters have facial expressions which break my heart from time to time, but it's especially powerful when it comes from a child.

What's up with Gesicht's memories? What is Dr. Roosevelt plotting? Argh!
You've got me hooked, Urasawa.

Akame ga Kill 22-23

You know, this series is lacking an important component in these types of stories; the idealist wishing to "stop" the cycle of revenge. However, I actually find that more interesting because it gives us a look into what happens when a character like that (that has any kind of weight on the world) is completely absent. We get a bunch of people not even attempting to empathize with their enemies while the body count keeps getting higher on both sides, selfishly crying for their own fallen allies while ignoring the other side experiencing the same thing; only continuing to swear revenge on those that took their loved ones life. That's probably going to end badly when all is said and done.

Anyway, this new guy seems cool.

Dresden

So it's about how her husband turned into a bear...
Title: I am currently living with a bear said:
... but actually
it turns out that she has a head injury or something.

A charming, quaint premise ruined by a didactic need to fully explain everything. Not a huge waste of time as it's a short one-shot, but it's something that'd be much better if you removed about five or six pages. Having some mystery is a good thing.

Pluto Vol. 2

I'm not really experienced with the Astro Boy franchise, but his portrayal here still took me aback. Most of the main characters have facial expressions which break my heart from time to time, but it's especially powerful when it comes from a child.

What's up with Gesicht's memories? What is Dr. Roosevelt plotting? Argh!
You've got me hooked, Urasawa.

Pluto is so good.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jump Series - 8 Week Averages

1.Toriko    2.9(△0.2)
2.Naruto    3.0(―0.0)
2.One Piece  3.0(―0.0)
4.Gintama   5.6(▼0.6)
5.Haikyuu  6.3(△1.2)

6.Nisekoi    7.5(△0.8)
7.Beelzebub  10.4(▼1.0)
7.Sket Dance 10.4(―0.0)
9.Kuroko   11.8(△1.1)
10.Bleach   13.8(▼1.0)

11.Medaka   14.0(△1.8)
12.Kochikame  14.8(▼0.7)
13.Pajama   15.6(▼1.2)
13.Kurogane  15.6(▼0.1)
15.Reborn!     16.6(△0.3)

16.Magico    18.6(▼0.6)
17.Nurarihyon   19.3(▼0.3)

Nothing is ever certain in the cutthroat world of manga publishing, but Nisekoi doesn't seem like it'll get Kano'd anytime soon.

Naoshi: 1/2
Kano: 0/2

(lolbleach)

I remember a few years ago when everyone mocked Jump for trying to push Toriko so much as "the next big thing". And now its become one of the big 3 (in terms of manga rankings). Craziness.

Bentles

Vinland Sage

About time we got back to the Vinland talk. I almost forgot about it! I wonder which continent it's on.

Oh and yeah, what was she thinking when she cut the ropes? There's no way this will end well.

She was thinking, "They're going to misunderstand and kill me without finding out what happened first."

Anyway it'll be interesting to see if and how Thorfinn involves himself in this. And it looks like he's finally realising what he wants to do. Vinland Saga is going to become a Vinland saga!

duckroll

Magi - Labyrinth of Magic

I was talking with cosmic and dresden last week about the upcoming announcement of the anime (it wasn't announced yet at that time), and they really, really liked it. So I decided to give it a shot. Usually I don't really pick up manga recommendations because they're long and honestly a lot of them are similar and not really that interesting to me. At least not to follow weekly or monthly for years, but this one seemed pretty unique.

I've read 4 volumes so far (yeah I know, I'm a noob!) and I really like it. The setting is really cool, and the characters are diverse and likable. The world also feels nice and large, and even early in the manga the author has no issues with separating the lead characters to allow them to develop on their own. This helps the world expand in a natural way, and it feels like something is always happening somewhere else even if the story isn't focused on it.

In terms of the general narrative, I feel the rules are pretty clearly defined early on, while still leaving a lot of room for mysteries and developments as we go along. The dungeons and their magic artifacts provide a good carrot for the characters in terms of on-going short term goals, while the Djinns add a nice touch of mystery to the motivations of Ugo and what it means for Aladdin in the long term. The political developments in the various countries seem to add another layer of complexity to the narrative, which is promising to get more interesting now that Alibaba is directly involved with some of it.

Overall I'm glad I picked this series up, and I'm going to try reading more this week. It's certainly something refreshing and has elements of both Fullmetal Alchemist and One Piece, which are probably my favorite shounen manga - even though I've been stuck on Skypiea in One Piece for like.... many many many years now. Every time I decide to read One Piece from the beginning again, I get stuck on the same arc. Hopefully some day I'll be able to break through it and read the other arcs I've heard people rave about... like Water 7... :(

Overall I'm glad I picked this series up, and I'm going to try reading more this week. It's certainly something refreshing and has elements of both Fullmetal Alchemist and One Piece, which are probably my favorite shounen manga - even though I've been stuck on Skypiea in One Piece for like.... many many many years now. Every time I decide to read One Piece from the beginning again, I get stuck on the same arc. Hopefully some day I'll be able to break through it and read the other arcs I've heard people rave about... like Water 7... :(

I'm thinking once you get caught up with Magi (or wherever you decide to stop), you'll get a craving for adventure that can't be satiated by anything not of high quality like OP. At this point, you will have the will power (since it's shounen) to push through Skypiea and find a new world of awesome!

Then you will get caught up, start posting in this thread more regularly, get disgusted with Big One, and leave to never return :(

Now that the Disappointing Legend of Korra is over, does that mean you will be more active here?

LOK was alright, just not "OMG this was the best shit ever".

I guess i will be more active but i've got some work related stuff that might stop that.

THEY HAVEN'T YET!?

Nope. :(

Berserk:

Giving the pace this guys is going, nope. But i'm hoping for the best

Berserk is too popular for a cancellation/rushed ending. Miura will die before it ends.

Wasn't there some translated quote claiming he was trying to become healthier (by dieting/exercise?) so he will have more time to finish the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom