• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a Hero ~chapter 9

Finally, shit started happening. The first volume is boring as hell, but it does a good job at sprinkling in little creepy moments and tidbits that show there is stuff going on that the MC is just unaware of. It also does a pretty good job of making the MC seem off. It's pretty crazy to see the MC get so angry and passionate about manga but
killing his girlfriend results in the completely calm reaction of writing a note and heading to the police station to turn himself in.
MC seems interesting to say the least.

Dresden

Aladdin has so much swag, shit is illegal. Dunno how I feel about the trio possibly breaking up again, but I believe in Ohtaka.

I think Hakuryuu just turned into Ed.

scy

Magi 117

Brilliant as usual. I hope they manage to work out exactly what's wrong with Dunya in time and I wonder where Aladdin's planing on going on his own and the reasons for such a thing. I don't want the gang to break up again. :(

dat Aladdin

I like Dunya so I kind of hope she doesn't get killed off or made into a useless character that's never seen again.

...she's probably doomed.

I think Hakuryuu just turned into Ed.

I was totally expecting a wooden arm or something to go with the Djinn he ended up with.

Dresden

dat Aladdin

I like Dunya so I kind of hope she doesn't get killed off or made into a useless character that's never seen again.

...she's probably doomed.
I think they'll probably expand on her role with the Magnoshtat/Mustashim Kingdom. I doubt it'll be anything significant like a whole arc, but who knows. Everything's been set up and now with Yamu getting tossed into the mix I doubt Dunya will just die in bed or something at this point.

Gabroni

Banned
Magi

Aladdin is like Bruce Wayne or something.

Knew it was coming but digging the break up again. I guess Aladdin is going to see the female magi.

Ao no Exorcist spec chapter (37.5?)

I loved the cover, Shima is my second favorite character in this series after Rin. I thought the chapter was alright mainly because thats not the pairing that I dont think anyone had for him.

Kusagari

Tower of God 1-30:

Awesome so far. The interaction between Baam/Koon really reminds me of Gon/Killua. The interaction with Rak puts them over the top, though, since he's superior to Kurapica or Leorio.

This week seemed the best week for the shonen jump alpha thats like eight chapters for only 99 cents...

Naruto: Road to Ninja

I liked it, everyone just hanging out and being friends was refreshing in regards to the current place of Naruto. Actually its something that I dont recall ever happening a single time before in Shippuden. This was much better than the Road to Sakura episode or the kind of tie with Naruto SD episode.

Yomigaeru Kiro (one shot)

Decent art, story was an interesting take on a police detective and criminal. Ending spoiler
Was caught off guard when the boy killed himself in the bathroom, what even!

duckroll

Magi - Chapter 117

Hmmm... more epilogue stuff. Kinda felt rushed though. I'm surprised the guy actually got an automail arm and we never got to see how it happened. I wanna know how it even works... :(

upandaway

Magi

That's the third time in this series I get startled by off screen development. He already got an arm? They sure don't mess around. I wonder if he can move it like normal or if he's just gonna use it to balance the lance. He obviously grew it himself so maybe he can move it with magic.

Also Aladdin, holy crap. Just let him grow up a little and he'll be the total opposite kind of womanizer Sinbad is.

About the breakup, can't say I'm opposed to the idea even if I like the 3 together.
It's kinda hard to imagine Mor and Ali splitting up too but with this trend it's logical they will. Each of them still has his own business to take care of that isn't really connected to the other 2.

Kimi no Knife 53

bUbHy.png

What the hell kind of reaction is that when someone tells you 'I killed a father but left his wife alive. Also I lied to her and said her (dead) husband would come back to her one day'.

Kami to Sengoku Seitokai 42

Hot vice president makes out with the MC's childhood friend before he does. Go go PLOT.

Sumomomo Momomo 0

Finally got the motivation to start this. For anyone that doesn't know, this is what Ohtaka, the author of Magi, did before that. The art is obviously very similar, but it's a completely different kind of series. Rather than a semi-standard battle shounen, it's a simultaneous battle/harem/comedy series focusing on a martial artist girl trying to revive her clan by getting impregnated by a dude she knew from childhood. But like all harems, the dude wants nothing to do with her and has long since given up the martial arts lifestyle, instead aspiring to be a prosecutor.

Now I had already seen the anime, so this prologue chapter wasn't really new to me, but I did notice the dialogue was even more suggestive than its counterpart even if the actual visuals aren't. It's still funny, but my stance hasn't really changed yet that it's merely above average rather than awesome like Magi. Of course toward the end of the anime, there seemed to be a pretty significant genre shift, which I look forward to getting to.

Barrage 10
tumblr_m8cjjztzDr1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Dark energy is a compelling power, hopefully Astro's orb and his own innate abilities along with Tiamats help can over come this. I wonder if Tiamat will get some magical abilities.

Articalys

To help close out the thread, here's the biweekly 8-week averages:

1.One Piece  2.3(△0.3)
2.Naruto    2.7(―0.0)
3.Toriko     3.5(▼0.2)
4.Nisekoi    6.0(△0.4)
5.Haikyuu!!  6.9(△0.6)

7.Sket Dance    7.6(△0.3)
8.Kuroko     7.8(▼1.3)
9.Beelzebub    11.6(△0.2)
10.Gintama     12.1(―0.0)
12.Reborn!   14.4(△0.4)

13.Kochikame   14.8(△0.1)
14.Medaka Box  14.9(―0.0)
15.Bleach 16.1(―0.0)
17.Pajama  17.6(▼0.2)
18.Kurogane   18.6(▼0.5)

and for new series, the 5-week averages, with where they would otherwise fit on the main chart, and an older series of comparable performance:

6.PSI Kusuo Saiki 7.1 (same as Enigma)
11.Koisome Momiji 13.0 (same as Lock On!)
15.Sensei no Bulge 16.1 (same as Sengoku Armors)

scy

Sumomomo Momomo 0

Finally got the motivation to start this. For anyone that doesn't know, this is what Ohtaka, the author of Magi, did before that. The art is obviously very similar, but it's a completely different kind of series. Rather than a semi-standard battle shounen, it's a simultaneous battle/harem/comedy series focusing on a martial artist girl trying to revive her clan by getting impregnated by a dude she knew from childhood. But like all harems, the dude wants nothing to do with her and has long since given up the martial arts lifestyle, instead aspiring to be a prosecutor.

Now I had already seen the anime, so this prologue chapter wasn't really new to me, but I did notice the dialogue was even more suggestive than its counterpart even if the actual visuals aren't. It's still funny, but my stance hasn't really changed yet that it's merely above average rather than awesome like Magi. Of course toward the end of the anime, there seemed to be a pretty significant genre shift, which I look forward to getting to.

wutjfr73.png

upandaway

A'ight, I'm all ready for a new thread. You can take as long as you want setting it up. Oh yeah.

Pajama

Wait, wait wait wait, wait. Wait dammit! Pause!

I, uh, what? Wait, huh? I'm not quite sure what just happened. Huh?!

I guess.. this is more or less ending? I'm so confused right now. What's going on. The scanlation group just dropped it too. This is so weird. I think I forgot the entire chapter I just read because it didn't really register to begin with.

Maybe the author got the cancellation notice just before this chapter..

survivor

Banned
Is Annarasumanara a webtoon? Because that looks at least somewhat competent.

Yep, it had some good scenes here and there but in general it still looked cheap and uninspiring like most other webtoons.

Didn't know you were reading it. It's pretty damn good romance manga.

scy

A'ight, I'm all ready for a new thread. You can take as long as you want setting it up. Oh yeah.

Pajama

Wait, wait wait wait, wait. Wait dammit! Pause!

I, uh, what? Wait, huh? I'm not quite sure what just happened. Huh?!

I guess.. this is more or less ending? I'm so confused right now. What's going on. The scanlation group just dropped it too. This is so weird. I think I forgot the entire chapter I just read because it didn't really register to begin with.

Maybe the author got the cancellation notice just before this chapter..

Well, if it's ending soon then I guess I should read it now...!

upandaway

Well, if it's ending soon then I guess I should read it now...!
Like I said the scanlation group literally just dropped it.

With this kind of chapter, though, you could really just remove the last "see next chapter" sentence and it would basically be the ending.

Super-Conductive Brains: Parataxis

7th was right. This definitely feels like the closest thing to a "mainstream" work from Shintaro Kago. I still probably wouldn't put it in that category though.

Anyway, it's a super interesting premise. Mankind has shrunk and have "disassembled" the older, bigger humans and turned them into machinery. Sort of has a Planet of the Apes feel in the sense the "dominant" life-forms are no longer dominant, but taken even further as the dismembered corpses of the old humans are central to this new society.

As with most of the guy's stuff, very creative and pretty disturbing. Wish the ending wasn't so abrupt, but I can kind of guess what happens next.

upandaway

On the positive side, Haikyu is going strong and it will probably get huge amount of fanart just like Kuroko's Basketball

--

10 posts countdown begins
So will we get 5 threads by 5 people thinking no one else was gonna do it, or will this thread get locked without any replacement?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd really like to hope that OT6's subtitle is more clever than to reference Wedensday MangaGAF again.

Honestly imma be disappointed if we don't get a hilarious Nisekoi themed OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom