• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunbo13

Don't fondle my manga.
Control your girl.
God, I felt so bad for you when I saw the topic locked :|
Gaming side doesn't really care much about gaming anymore. Think about it.
Someone picked up Kono S o Mi Yo, fuck yes.
Meh, shit lost me after the hot older female virgin shit. It was cute in Kono Oneesan wa Fiction desu but is stupid for Kono S o, Mi yo. So tired of these unrealistic premises to keep the female interests "pure."
So you are an Onodera guy?
You all a bunch of chumps.

flawfuls

Kyou, Curry! 1-2

This is basically Yotsubato with curry and as you would expect it is disgustingly cute.

OEiVt.png

Wiseblade

Gaming side doesn't really care much about gaming anymore. Think about it.

What? that's not the case at all. If I wanted a giant info dump for a game, I'd go to a wiki. Gaming OTs should serve as a concise summary for people who have no idea what the game is with key information like platform and release date, prominent and searchable. a 5+ post OT just looks bloated and intimidating.

dumbyugi

Kyou, Curry! 1-2

This is basically Yotsubato with curry and as you would expect it is disgustingly cute.
It also has a supernatural element to it. So far it seems like it should be a fun read, all the characters are fun so far, though I'm not a fan of the Dad.

Bleach up to chapter 140

I'm slowly reaching the climax of the first big arc and it's been pretty good so far. The art has gotten better, though I'm still not a fan of some characters faces. Ichigo is still a bland generic shonen hero, Orihime is a useless big-tits, Ishida is annoying but I like his fighting style, Chad seems strong but he hasn't done much, Rukia's been to busy feeling bad about herself to do anything of note and all the captains and vice-captains so far are standard badguys turned goodguys or boring evil bastards. The fights are flashy but boring, it's pretty much always the same thing. The goodguy gets beat when, all of a sudden, they win thanks to some kind of powerup. Also none of the fights have any tension when you know that even if the goodguys get beaten up they're just going to get healed anyway.

Even though I may seem really negative about it, I'm actually enjoying it so far. As I said before, aside from a few of the faces the art is quite good. Despite everyone being a sterotype hero or villian some of the characters are actually quite fun. In fact, Ichigo, Orihime and Gin are the only characters I don't like at all, and Gin hasn't really done anything except smirk so far.

So far I would say Bleach is a standard action shonen with nothing that really stands out but it's enjoyable enough that I'll keep reading.

Zoe

What? No.

When shinigami are in Soul Society they are in their soul form. They get gigai (faux bodies) when they go to the human world, like Rukia did in the beginning of the manga. When shinigami fight they revert back to their soul form.

I disagree that their bodies are their souls.

Also don't forget that Kenpachi has talked about reincarnation as well.

gunbo13

What? that's not the case at all. If I wanted a giant info dump for a game, I'd go to a wiki. Gaming OTs should serve as a concise summary for people who have no idea what the game is with key information like platform and release date, prominent and searchable. a 5+ post OT just looks bloated and intimidating.
You can't find that shit on a wiki. That's the point. Nobody even read the information and just jumped to conclusions. I wrote every word of the DMC3:SE guide off the top of my head. Instead of appreciating the effort and new knowledge, people jumped to conclusions that it was marketing BS.

The formatting was an issue and I transitioned it to a google doc. But everyone is off base and your description above is flat out wrong.

gunbo13

Wait brehs what happened on the loser side of GAF?
Nonsense. The main vocal twitter group on gaf is all about the drama. If you guys think they put games first, you'd probably be wrong. A bunch of unfunny guys who like forum celebrity. They made a huge uproar even though you could tell they didn't even care about the game. We provided a lot of "optional" information you can't find on the web. Go ahead and try to find write-ups on my stuff. It might be a tough job cause I made most of it up myself. Half my terms are my creation.

Was the formatting shit? Yep. Mainly cause I received most of the OT at the last minute since we were running late. And my posts should have been google doc or video walk-through. Kagari was going to work with me on it but the hammer dropped instead. And it dropped mostly cause of the whining from the "beloved" members.

I'm disgusted by most of gaming gaf right now.

Lain

You can't find that shit on a wiki. That's the point. Nobody even read the information and just jumped to conclusions. I wrote every word of the DMC3:SE guide off the top of my head. Instead of appreciating the effort and new knowledge, people jumped to conclusions that it was marketing BS.

The formatting was an issue and I transitioned it to a google doc. But everyone is off base and your description above is flat out wrong.

I'll say that the formatting of that OT wasn't really pleasing on the eyes, but it's also true that times have changed.

gunbo13

I'll say that the formatting of that OT wasn't really pleasing on the eyes, but it's also true that times have changed.
That MGS4 thread was a pluck of wiki crap. Our thread had basically "secret" knowledge about games that you can't easily find or not find at all. It took me 5 minutes to reformat it after I worked with Kagari. Yet the thread was closed with total disrespect. Like I said, disgusting.

Bleach up to chapter 140

I'm slowly reaching the climax of the first big arc and it's been pretty good so far. The art has gotten better, though I'm still not a fan of some characters faces. Ichigo is still a bland generic shonen hero, Orihime is a useless big-tits, Ishida is annoying but I like his fighting style, Chad seems strong but he hasn't done much, Rukia's been to busy feeling bad about herself to do anything of note and all the captains and vice-captains so far are standard badguys turned goodguys or boring evil bastards. The fights are flashy but boring, it's pretty much always the same thing. The goodguy gets beat when, all of a sudden, they win thanks to some kind of powerup. Also none of the fights have any tension when you know that even if the goodguys get beaten up they're just going to get healed anyway.

Even though I may seem really negative about it, I'm actually enjoying it so far. As I said before, aside from a few of the faces the art is quite good. Despite everyone being a sterotype hero or villian some of the characters are actually quite fun. In fact, Ichigo, Orihime and Gin are the only characters I don't like at all, and Gin hasn't really done anything except smirk so far.

So far I would say Bleach is a standard action shonen with nothing that really stands out but it's enjoyable enough that I'll keep reading.

Gin!!! The one who has one of the most memorable gifs of the anime. He is really well done in the english dub of the anime and I guess in JPN too.

I think you identified many of the reasons why I didnt much like much of that arc until the pivotal moment. But I disagree about the fights, most were pretty epic, and Ichigo is in my list of top 10 protagonists of all time (Ichigo Kurosaki, Naruto Uzumaki, Gray Fullbuster, Natsu Dragneel, Portgas D. Ace, Ayumu Narumi, Moritaka Mashiro, Ouma Shu, Kaito Daimon, Alma Tandoji, Tsunayoshi Sawada). Perhaps youll warm up to him.

I think I preferred the way dmc's was over what I saw of that assassin's creed rev one, it was like all a huge flashy guide of sorts. Just look http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451221 and that was just a few months ago.

Wiseblade

I have read that OP. Maybe not every single word, it is six posts long, but more than think I have. And a lot of it is infodump material. There's no need to have those giant pngs of the weapons and the bosses. There's no need to list out the release dates for DMC1-3 at the start of the thread, before the actual game's release date. There's no need for a bloody glossary or acronym list.

An OP is not a strategy guide, nor should it be. It's about helping to inform a purchase.

Lain

I think I preferred the way dmc's was over what I saw of that assassin's creed rev one, it was like all a huge flashy guide of sorts. Just look http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451221 and that was just a few months ago.

I just find it funny how we've gone from a 38 posts OT being cherished as the best OT ever to what is expected today.

But this discussion is so OT that I'm going back to manga:
91b4e8ce5af60826b24a48140313eb88799c2667.jpg

I'm such a big part of the problem.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I just find it funny how we've gone from a 38 posts OT being cherished as the best OT ever to what is expected today.

Why would you do that. :(

Azure J

One Piece

Law seriously has my favorite power in anything ever. I knew from the start it could be used for shit like that, but actually applying it? Whoaaaa

Bleach

This is moving too fast. :lol

Beelzebub

Aoi superior.

Nonsense. The main vocal twitter group on gaf is all about the drama. If you guys think they put games first, you'd probably be wrong. A bunch of unfunny guys who like forum celebrity. They made a huge uproar even though you could tell they didn't even care about the game. We provided a lot of "optional" information you can't find on the web. Go ahead and try to find write-ups on my stuff. It might be a tough job cause I made most of it up myself. Half my terms are my creation.

Was the formatting shit? Yep. Mainly cause I received most of the OT at the last minute since we were running late. And my posts should have been google doc or video walk-through. Kagari was going to work with me on it but the hammer dropped instead. And it dropped mostly cause of the whining from the "beloved" members.

I really felt bad too because I definitely knew you and Dah put a ton of work into getting that info out into the wild. It wasn't graceful or anything, but you had the spirit and you worked hard on a retooling.

Sucks, but eh just gotta take it in stride. [/never makes threads and probably never will]

wat.son

gunbo13

An OP is not a strategy guide, nor should it be. It's about helping to inform a purchase.
I'm not a marketer and don't care. We brought way more then the usual "buy this game cause we think it is cool" crap. We brought actual substance for gamers if they want to master the games. It was purely optional and I'm talking about "strategy guides" that you can't find in any store. I also didn't contribute at all to the DMC1 material if you have issues with it. I did the first post and the DMC3:SE combo guide.

It could have been reformatted in a few minutes but was instead dropped along with comments from the usual gaf celebs. I simply just hate the gaming gaf mentality. People care more about hating on game endings then playing them. They would rather watch/read then do. Bunch of casuals with very few members who really "play" games and many migrating to mobile. It's awful.

Anyway, mangaf is still the best. ;)
I really felt bad too because I definitely knew you and Dah put a ton of work into getting that info out into the wild. It wasn't graceful or anything, but you had the spirit and you worked hard on a retooling.

Sucks, but eh just gotta take it in stride. [/never makes threads and probably never will]
Only the images I did took time. I wrote my guide off the top of my head quickly. So it wasn't that much work. Not sure about Dahbomb. People cared more about "gaf" then "DMC" was the end result. Drama > Game. And I would've fixed it in a few posts talking with Kagari. Like I said, disgusting.

Solune

So you are an Onodera guy?

NAKAMA
OnoDERE! NAKAMA. Tsugumi is also suitable :dresden

Just want to let you know, you and Dahbomb had my total support. I think that the formatting was indeed messed up but, the opportunity should've been given to clean it up. I think 1 page OPs aren't bad, but sometimes additional effort and information is definitely a good thing for analyzing the games in-depth and you know provide actual discussion. In fact I'd go on to say 1 page barren OPs are what I DISLIKE about gaming side, here's the logo, here's the release date, here's some Wiki description, and have at it.

Oh Lain.

scy

To be fair, I've never seen a single OT do this. At all. Marketing bullet point highlights on a one-page fact sheet don't sell a game (to me). I don't even read most OT first posts on gaming side because they're usually pointless information that is completely irrelevant to a purchasing decision. I'd rather have useful information than a marketing highlight reel. It's not even like they actually do help inform purchases in general anyway; there's always posts asking whether or not the game is worth getting, regardless of the OP.

To each their own, though. My problem with the thread was that it was basically closed with a "lol no."

It could have been reformatted in a few minutes but was instead dropped along with comments from the usual gaf celebs. I simply just hate the gaming gaf mentality. People care more about hating on game endings then playing them. They would rather watch/read then do. Bunch of casuals with very few members who really "play" games and many migrating to mobile. It's awful.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as the mobile bit but it definitely feels that way in regards to "caring not for mechanics." Most the games I do post in for gaming side are ones I do some mechanics work on and I'd say that GAF is probably the least receptive to the majority of it. Kind of odd, really, for such a big gaming forum to have so little passion towards "how" games work.

Also, to not be hilariously off-topic, more wrong girl Nisekoi supporters? Blasphemy!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Also, to not be hilariously off-topic, more wrong girl Nisekoi supporters? Blasphemy!

Yeah, I don't understand how any one could pick a girl other than Chitoge.

Actually, it's pretty easy to understand, but I must make a strong stand here, no dissenters allowed!

gunbo13

Most the games I do post in for gaming side are ones I do some mechanics work on and I'd say that GAF is probably the least receptive to the majority of it. Kind of odd, really, for such a big gaming forum to have so little passion towards "how" games work.
Nobody really cares to "play" games dude. It's all about mash A or watch a sci-fi film these days. I'm surprised I didn't see this coming. I got zoned out into this "project" forgetting what the audience is like. Tunnel vision man, tunnel vision.
If you don't pick Chitoge, you need to be burned at the stake. Oh yes, we can still do that.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
yo, I just read some of that DMC thread. Shit is crazy son. AWESOME WORK. I remember how much I straight up loved playing DMC 1 and 3. I was never good at it until I replayed it in more recent years, but now I see that I didn't really go as deep as I could have...

That kind of OT is perfect for a collection. It's not as if it's a new game, most people buying the collection are probably those that played the game in the past and want to replay it... or have an interest into diving deep into the series. With that said, a guide to getting players VERY deep into the combat system and how intricate it is...is just a good idea.

I now want to revisit DMC1 and 3...and read the OT along with it.

The worst part was how the thread came to an end. Especially after how many people supported it. I usually don't find problems with how EviLore handles things but... "No Thanks." *lock* to a very genuine post? That's downright fucking rude. I hope someone sent you a PM detailing things.

Oh well, at least it's still up for me to absorb. I didn't even know about this collection (thought 2012 was all about this new shitty DmC) until now. And now I want to buy it.

Oh, and shout outs to ManGAF mod-Representative Kagari for at least trying to hold you down.
And of course Shouta...although he wasn't in that thread

Solune

Why can't we see eye to eye?
Yeah, I don't understand how any one could pick a girl other than Chitoge.

Actually, it's pretty easy to understand, but I must make a strong stand here, no dissenters allowed!
We haven't been getting along recently, have we?
If you don't pick Chitoge, you need to be burned at the stake. Oh yes, we can still do that.

That's it, I take back what I said. And you even called us chumps. I was just trying to fill your dark soul with light.

gunbo13

The worst part was how the thread came to an end. Especially after how many people supported it. I usually don't find problems with how EviLore handles things but... "No Thanks." *lock* to a very genuine post? That's downright fucking rude. I hope someone sent you a PM detailing things.
Kagari (who I thanked a bunch and is awesome) was going to give me a chance to revise. We were one post away from doing so and it took us only a few minutes to fix it. However, instead of this happening it was quickly locked with the "No Thanks" comments. I was not given any explanation. I'm not going to express my opinion on that series of events and I advise no one else to do so. But you can probably figure out what I would say.

My main problem though is with a part of the community. But I've given up as stated.
Well this thread turned bitter and sad rather quickly.
You can't give me a few posts? Shesh

EDIT:
Plus I'm all back to manga now. This shit will be done like...now I guess. ;)

Go Chitoge!

Wiseblade

I'm not a marketer and don't care. We brought way more then the usual "buy this game cause we think it is cool" crap. We brought actual substance for gamers if they want to master the games. It was purely optional and I'm talking about "strategy guides" that you can't find in any store. I also didn't contribute at all to the DMC1 material if you have issues with it. I did the first post and the DMC3:SE combo guide.
My point is that the OP isn't the place for that information. People read OTs, to get general information about a game, its unique features and the release date. If I went to that thread thinking "I've never played a DmC game before, what's so special about them?" I'd be hit with a convoluted combo guide. it's just overly intimidating.

If you look at Andrex's Pokémon Black/White OT, it isn't filled with a breakdown of the EV/IV system and a competitive battling guide. Instead it was based on new features, the differences between versions and explaining the improvement made compared to its predecessors. If someone wanted to know about things more in depth they'd ask about it or go to a dedicated fansite. A single forum post is never going to be able to compete in terms of information or formatting.

To be fair, I've never seen a single OT do this. At all. Marketing bullet point highlights on a one-page fact sheet don't sell a game (to me). I don't even read most OT first posts on gaming side because they're usually pointless information that is completely irrelevant to a purchasing decision. I'd rather have useful information than a marketing highlight reel. It's not even like they actually do help inform purchases in general anyway; there's always posts asking whether or not the game is worth getting, regardless of the OP.

1) Then you've been reading the wrong OTs, there are a bunch that do just that.

2) Some people are just too lazy to read an OP regardless of what happens.

scy

A single forum post is never going to be able to compete in terms of information or formatting.

This like invalidates every reason why I go to gaming forums to discuss games :/

Though, to be fair, the OP for that was basically fine if the first post was cleaned up and then a later one had the rest of it (or the links etc.). It's not that the information was a problem so much as the presentation and I don't really disagree with that.

1) Then you've been reading the wrong OTs, there are a bunch that do just that.

2) Some people are just too lazy to read an OP regardless of what happens.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the first; I've read most the OTs, especially for games I'm borderline on, and it's marketing fluff to me. I read the topic for impressions. There are the occasional ones with GAF impressions in the OP, though, so I suppose those count.

But ... yeah, laziness happens a lot anyway. Oh well, I guess.

Zekes!

Chitoge 4 lyfe represent

I caught up with Magico. My one gripe so far is that Emma is too useless. I hope that changes eventually (and soon)

EDIT: Got my copy of Saturn Apartments vol 4, and the omnibuses of Azumanga Daioh and Dororo in the mail today. Holy shit at the size of Dororo; it's almost 850 pages. This is definitely going to require a bookmark

gunbo13

If someone wanted to know about things more in depth they'd ask about it or go to a dedicated fansite.
How many times do I have to say that this doesn't exist? We WROTE what you are supposed to be "linking" to. Won't find that combo guide anywhere except in my head. And I aint letting you in.

EDIT:
We can drop this. I vented and thank the thread for not getting on my case. BACK TO MANGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT2:
Don't forget...

gunbo:
Advance of the Titans [Shingeki no Kyojin] (ch31)
Übel Blatt [Evil Blade] (ch102)

survivor:
Mushishi (ch35)
Pending (we need to talk)

Glass Rebel:
Mushishi (ch35)
UDDUP (ch128)

Deadline ~04/06/12

EDIT3:
Survivor, read Ghost Hunt? 12vol

Dynedom

Getbackers - End

Well, I liked this series. It's shounen but I think it has, collectively, one of the most memorable casts of any shounen I've read (or are currently reading).

Yeah the plot gets convoluted but it never reaches Tenjou Tenge levels of "wtf". I always enjoyed the art in this series too. All in all, I think it's a pretty satisfactory conclusion. I do like the open end although I kinda wish they would have done an arc revolving it and cut out one of the middle arcs in the series (especially Divine Design, which was an unecessary and dumb arc. The definition of manga filler for me).

This is a series I could definitely see myself reading again in the future. I don't know if I could ever say that for something like Bleach or Naruto (their length isn't an issue for me).

Overall: A fun shounen with some interesting (but somewhat played out) ideas, some unnecessary filler and some great tit-err female designs.

upandaway

Ippo

Wow. That was a really lame way to go.

He's gonna retire for sure. Just look at the way he went out. He has nothing.

I don't really get the whole "I won't lose to someone who can't fight Ippo" filled cheese turkey. That's nonsense and has 2 nothings to do with 5 anythings.

Glass Rebel

Don't forget...

gunbo:
Advance of the Titans [Shingeki no Kyojin] (ch31)
Übel Blatt [Evil Blade] (ch102)

survivor:
Mushishi (ch35)
Pending (we need to talk)

Glass Rebel:
Mushishi (ch35)
UDDUP (ch128)

Deadline ~04/06/12

Damn, I still got about 90chs of UDDUP to go and I've yet to start Mushishi *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom