• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Historie ch1-95 by Iwaaki Hitoshi

4th century BC, Cardia. Eumenes, a young boy, relatively meek but gifted and well-learned, is living a comfortable life and carefree life with family, one of the most powerful and influential ones within the city, yearning for little more than more scrolls to expand his knowledge of the world.

U2Lcps1.png

Some time later, Assus. Eumenes is building a makeshift device to row his boat, as he sets out to go back to Cardia. There, he meets Aristotle and his disciple, and later, a shady merchant, Antigonus.

For better or worse, his adventures do not stop there, and who knows where these will lead him to during these were troubled times of war and conquest?

Historie is a loosely historical manga centered around the life of Eumenes, and the various people he encounters. While the author clearly takes a lot of liberties with the events that transpired in this period, the characters' development and their relationships are superbly written, and more than its historical fidelity or its attention to details in portraying conflicts, are arguably the series' greatest strength. The art is competent, especially when it comes to battles, but there is a certain lack of vartiety when it comes to women and young men's faces.

If you wish to read a manga with nicely-written characters in a historical setting. Look no further than Historie.

Revo

Black Haze 162

Having him call Dio was pretty cool.
And finally unlocked? his old memories.
So many plot threads being brought back into the fold, expecting a major shakeup.

Nanatsu no Taizai 176

I really hate when NnT is good because it shows just how great a series it could have been/could be if it would STOP with the annoying power level numbers and sexual harassment bullshit.

And Diana amnesia. God what an awful plot point.

Anything with Gowther, Escanor or Ban is pretty fantastic tho

TheFlow

Banned
Nanatsu no Taizai 176

I really hate when NnT is good because it shows just how great a series it could have been/could be if it would STOP with the annoying power level numbers and sexual harassment bullshit.

And Diana amnesia. God what an awful plot point.

Anything with Gowther, Escanor or Ban is pretty fantastic tho

Pretty much.

Ban in this chapter was savage.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Time to flex my lurking skill.

4koma

A blast from the past!

We need another 4 koma.

Akatokisei Residence 1-4

Alien has invaded Earth, masquerading as a human. A collection of short stories about those alien adapting to Earth and falling in love with human. It was a good. The art was also charming and fluffy.

Berserk Volume 1 - 20:
I don't quite know where to begin when it comes to describing my feelings right now.
Just finished up volume 20 and I feel like I've experienced what is the apex of a medium.
Berserk is not just a series. It is a world. It is a combination of hopelessness, depravity, and many other different emotions that transcend into one epic tale of a determined man looking for revenge.
Even after he loses everything that was once dear to him... the Black Swordsman continues on. There is only one end goal for Guts. No matter what might happen on the way there.

An amazing read. And I'm not even close to catching up. What a time to be alive.
If you can deal with excessive brutality and extremely adult and inappropriate content, jump in. It's worth it.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch.339
After the makeover, I'm sharing Misuzu and Cotton Candy's thoughts exactly.

Tejina Sempai ch.4 - 14
Club's officially off the ground, but not much success on the new members front. Or Tejina's stage freight. But then again where's the fun in that?

Love is Hard for Otaku
Story of a video game otaku and fujoshi dating. Gotta say I really enjoyed what I've read from these chapters, both for the character dynamics and the facial expressions.

I will say I kinda surprised myself how much of Hirotaka's character I relate to. Aside from all the smoking and drinking of course. Though working as a game tester before, the idea of needing to keep your nerdy interests secret in public is irrelevant as everyone else is in the same boat as you and don't give a fuck.

dr labson

Neo Member
Prison School Chapter 216

It's nice to see all this development and all, but I wish the plot would move along faster.
I also wonder how Kate got all this dirt on everyone on the USC team.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wikipedia tells me that Billy Bat will finally end in June, I've been waiting for that goddamn manga to end since it first started in 2008, now I will finally be able to binge read it.

Its still pretty shit.

Lies.

His dream is so baller that I actually think Guts might be the villain now.

What's a handful of guy's worth when he literally created a utopia? Guts is just going to come in there and ruin the lives of millions of people just for his personal revenge.

upandaway

Oh just noticed, apparently tamayura kitsune ended? looking forward to reading that then

Still waiting for upandaway's 4-koma Collection vol.1 to be published.
I don't have any of them anymore (heck one of them was drawn on a plastic plate in some car in los angeles, actually it might have been on the drive to las vegas) so that's that

Komi-san wa Komyusho desu 1
Oh hey, this got serialised. It's about an [MC] and a typically beautiful heroine with severe social anxiety, such that she's effectively unable to speak to anyone. In standard selfless [MC] style, he promises to help her make friends. The splash page promises a yandere, which is reason enough to follow it.

I don't have any of them anymore (heck one of them was drawn on a plastic plate in some car in los angeles, actually it might have been on the drive to las vegas) so that's that
Man, that's a tragedy. When your talent's eventually recognised and you become rich/famous, that plastic plate could've been worth millions.

Zweizer

Banned
Iinazuke Kyoutei ch32

Flighty sis~

Is he going to make a decision soon?

Koe De Oshigoto! ch58

Writing a scenario sure can be tricky.

But yeah, characters are especially important.

Tokyo DTED ch18

lmao

Berserk Volume 1 - 20:
I don't quite know where to begin when it comes to describing my feelings right now.
Just finished up volume 20 and I feel like I've experienced what is the apex of a medium.
Berserk is not just a series. It is a world. It is a combination of hopelessness, depravity, and many other different emotions that transcend into one epic tale of a determined man looking for revenge.
Even after he loses everything that was once dear to him... the Black Swordsman continues on. There is only one end goal for Guts. No matter what might happen on the way there.

An amazing read. And I'm not even close to catching up. What a time to be alive.
If you can deal with excessive brutality and extremely adult and inappropriate content, jump in. It's worth it.

add another oar to the berserk fandom boat

Zweizer

Banned
Komi-san wa Komyusho desu ch1

The uber-socially akward girl gets a serialization! Seems like there might be more slapstick now that it can afford to last longer.

Fragtime ch15

Jeez, that's kind of messed up. At least with her decaying ability she might finally solve this.

Kingdom ch476

Damn you, Kanki.

Jintor

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 1-8

A middle school kid is bullied (in the manGAF sense of the word) by his cute classmate but only in the sense of her making him make a fool out of himself out of nervousness. It's like watamote but cute and adorable... even if I find myself averting my eyes from the page! (A usual sign of cringe).

It's like if instead of a crazy god-thing Haruhi was just a lovable prankster and not a coooooomplete asshole.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Lies.

His dream is so baller that I actually think Guts might be the villain now.

What's a handful of guy's worth when he literally created a utopia? Guts is just going to come in there and ruin the lives of millions of people just for his personal revenge.

Here's a slight rage rant about one of the greatest villains.
You are right, he literally created a utopia. I think that was what his wish was essentially, to become the greatest king in the world or something. And he did, and for all intensive purposes he is a good king, a nice king, a kind] king. Here's the problem that infuriates me to no end. It's all kind of a lie. he brutally sacrificed eery single person he love to make this wish. At the heart of this utopia, it come from an ultimate act of selfishness, and I think that heart is still there. I am 90% of the weird fantasy world was born from Griffith's wish to make his utopia a safe haven. And I think the real purpose of it is so Griffith can look over his kingdom, and all the good he's done, and feel smug bout how big his dick is. Like it's a good place to live, but in a sense all these people leaving there ultimately serve to make Griffith feel good about himself. Which leaves me super conflicted! All of it may seem great, but it's just a ruse to make Grifith(and I think only Griffith at the end of this) happy. Don't forget, he sacrificed (EVERY SINGLE FRIEND) to make this happen. On the other hand. Technically a utopia, people living there seem to think it's pretty rad, and they enjoy it. So Guts coming in, will reck up Griffith's shit, and I think he super deserves it. But when he does, it is wrecking up an entire nation's worth of shit. Which, is kind of the heart of the story when you think about it.

TLDR: Griffith is, was, and forever shall be a piece of shit.

You are right, he literally created a utopia. I think that was what his wish was essentially, to become the greatest king in the world or something. And he did, and for all intensive purposes he is a good king, a nice king, a kind] king. Here's the problem that infuriates me to no end. It's all kind of a lie. he brutally sacrificed eery single person he love to make this wish. At the heart of this utopia, it come from an ultimate act of selfishness, and I think that heart is still there. I am 90% of the weird fantasy world was born from Griffith's wish to make his utopia a safe haven. And I think the real purpose of it is so Griffith can look over his kingdom, and all the good he's done, and feel smug bout how big his dick is. Like it's a good place to live, but in a sense all these people leaving there ultimately serve to make Griffith feel good about himself. Which leaves me super conflicted! All of it may seem great, but it's just a ruse to make Grifith(and I think only Griffith at the end of this) happy. Don't forget, he sacrificed (EVERY SINGLE FRIEND) to make this happen. On the other hand. Technically a utopia, people living there seem to think it's pretty rad, and they enjoy it. So Guts coming in, will reck up Griffith's shit, and I think he super deserves it. But when he does, it is wrecking up an entire nation's worth of shit. Which, is kind of the heart of the story when you think about it.

Griffith represents the hardline aspect of NECESSARY EVIL taken to its extreme while GUTS can be summed up to the concept of justified wrath.

we've seen Guts sorta mellow out as he gets older, and i wonder if when the day finally comes where he has griffith's person at the end of his sword if he will decide to thrust or to leave it all behind. Guts is the personification of struggle, the will to live against insurmountable odds. i see Guts hurting griffith not by killing him (and trust me, if there is any motherfucker in that world more deserving of being cleaved into a million piece it's griffith) but by doing the one thing griffith does not expect ; forgiveness. atonement.

EDIT: i had a nice paragraph response written, but my work firewall blocked neogaf after i hit submit and it erased everything :C this was a less coherent version of it

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Griffith represents the hardline aspect of NECESSARY EVIL taken to its extreme while GUTS can be summed up to the concept of justified wrath.

we've seen Guts sorta mellow out as he gets older, and i wonder if when the day finally comes where he has griffith's person at the end of his sword if he will decide to thrust or to leave it all behind. Guts is the personification of struggle, the will to live against insurmountable odds. i see Guts hurting griffith not by killing him (and trust me, if there is any motherfucker in that world more deserving of being cleaved into a million piece it's griffith) but by doing the one thing griffith does not expect ; forgiveness. atonement.

EDIT: i had a nice paragraph response written, but my work firewall blocked neogaf after i hit submit and it erased everything :C this was a less coherent version of it

Ah, but it'd hate that. Not so much Guts leaving it all behind, but the idea of forgiving Griffith(or the idea that might hurt him. I don't think Griffith would give a shit, and that's part of what makes him so infuriating). There are some things that can not be forgiven, forgotten, or redeemed and all of these words spell Griffith. It's really tough, because
they haven't seen each other in awhile so it's tough to say how the older more mellow Guts will react if Griffith just suddenly showed up. The rage demon is still inside him, but now he has friends again. Truth be told, I think its way more likely Guts will die of old age before any confrontation with Griffith, and I wonder how that would play out.

Edit: and I in fact thought that was a nice paragraph regardless.

dani_dc

Tokyo DTED 18

I see where this is going, now that he has a girlfriend and still can't get an erection, he'll end up being able to get an erection by being in a forbidden situation with another girl.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You should also realize that Griffith's dream was one given to him by the Godhand, it wasn't something he came up with or focused on just by himself, he was guided every step along the way. So what is going on in Falconia is most likely a lot more than just realizing Griffith's dream for a Utopia that he can rule over. We dont really know what's going on because we still don't know much at all about the Godhand or what they are really up to. I'm willing to bet things are far far more sinister than the actually appear and that no good for humanity will come about from all this.

Berserk Volume 1 - 20:

felt the same way until I caught up

then regret that I caught up

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like Erina's entire plot in Shokugeki no Soma is basically just any number of "brilliant kid is forced by overbearing parents to learn classical piano even though they secretly dream of playing rock and roll" plots that you see in pretty much every medium. I don't think any of those overbearing parents had their kids taken away from them, though. The absurdity of that aspect is mostly why I suspect that Azami is far more likely to make a heel-face turn vs. just being defeated and leaving, all while his daughter runs off with the man who spearheaded the movement to get him fired in disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom