• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ayo whatup ManGAF

I was watching the shitty Naruto anime and it got me thinking about the old manga thread when that shit was happening in the manga...and I came across this gem from March 2011:

Dedication Through Light said:
Dude, lol, what?! Sasuke is so cool (not as cool as Naruto), but his character design, motives, and such are just so moving and interesting. Hes so cool that even Naruto is obsessed. I thnk the best ending would be Naruto and Sasuke fighting to near death to finally reconcile their differences and Sasuke being persuaded by Naruto through the power of dedicated friendship, and they end with Naruto as hokage and Sasuke as his trusted adviser happily ever after.

Bravo, your magnificent motherfucker.

I know in hindsight it's easy to say what would happen, but goddamn.

random25

Ayo whatup ManGAF

I was watching the shitty Naruto anime and it got me thinking about the old manga thread when that shit was happening in the manga...and I came across this gem from March 2011:

Bravo, your magnificent motherfucker.

I know in hindsight it's easy to say what would happen, but goddamn.

He didn't become his trusted advisor though. :p

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Not that YWACH has a practical limit on his powers but.....do you REALLY believe this is Ichigo's final form?
Of course not. But Ichigo is doomed for this fight. Gotta go back, clean up the other plot threads and then give Ichigo the power of friendship so that he can win for realz. 3rd times the charm I guess

Zweizer

Banned
The whole "We will always be together right" phrases and the awkward atmosphere.
Maybe they are playing the cliche but I'm telling you fam this spells disaster usually lol. Wild speculation obviously, but we'll see.

I don't think that's the kind of manga Horimiya is. At least, pretty much nothing beforehand suggests that such a swerve could be coming.

He didn't become his trusted advisor though. :p

Close enough I'd say!

pbayne

Sweetness and Lightnting 1-5

Holy god its like weaponized adorableness. Really excited for the anime now.

The only potential pitfall i see is the relationship between Sensei and Kotori(if they ever go that far). Im not opposed to it but i dunno, its one of those things that come across really terrible if you don't handle it well.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I mean, that's kind of how I see it. He plays it cool pretty much all the time, but sometimes he obviously knows more than he's letting on, e.g. when he kept calling Azami "Nakamura-senpai" just to piss him off.

The whole bit about what he plans to do with Erina's mouth just sounds way too sexual (I'm sure Tsukuda intended it that way, of course)
Well, if its terrible, than it confirm Erina will be the main couple, but if its not, there's a chance for Tadokoro, since she always eat soma terrible stuff.

Boku no hero latest
No word.this is a great chapter. everything from the flashback to the fight was really greaaat.

Sakura

Card Captor Sakura Clear Card ch1

I didn't realise there was a new CCS manga starting.
Anyway, not much going on in the first chapter. But it was kind of weird seeing Sakura using a smart phone and Kero playing PS4.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - The Different Story vol 1-3 (END)
cxgUAjy.jpg
Mami's warm personality has made it difficult for her to adjust to her solitary life as a magical girl, where survival often takes precedence over kindness. When she meets Kyouko Sakura, a fellow lone wolf, she is excited at the prospect of working together with another magical girl and forging a friendship built on ultimate trust. But many are the sacrifices all magical girls must make, and the consequences of Kyouko's choice are only just becoming clear to her. When the pain becomes unbearable, will Kyouko remain standing beside Mami as a force for the greater good?

Of the other spinoffs I've read, this is closest to Homura's Revenge in that it's a retelling of the main story but with some variations, most notably that Mami doesn't lose her head early on. Seeing her and Kyouko take centre stage was largely welcome, since they tend to get the short end of the attention stick. Dedicating the entirety of vol.1 to their pre-game interactions could've made for a weak beginning, particularly as neither of them are my favourite characters, but not only was it well-paced with some engaging drama/action, it effectively built up the impact of their final, touching confrontation in vol.3. Another worthwhile recommendation to franchise fans, particularly those who're fed up with HomuMado hogging the spotlight.

Homuhomu Rating:

rwuIYHM.gif
rwuIYHM.gif
QVP2Nrr.gif

Homura largely reprises her role from the main story here, except that her endgame prominence is usurped by cheese and apples.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Let me say that i like your homu2 rating huge battleship. I guess i'll try reading several madoka magica spinoff

Real account latest arc
Man, this game is not as fun or interesting like the previous games, since this arc is just hide and seek but with twitter. The early games is nuch more interesting takes on how to make socmed into a death games, with the mc finding a loophole in the rule to defeat the games. Now, after Yuuma turn into an edgelord, he just steamroll everything with his fist instead of wit. I hope this arc is over so i can see a much more interesting games.

EhoaVash

Boruto chapter 2

Wtfff this was a waste of time. Manga continues to follow boruto the movie that came out last year.its going to be probably 4 more months until the manga starts releasing new content....fuck

:(

One piece new chapter

I still hope pudding X sanji is still a thing ._.

Jintor

Girls und Panzer: Lovey-Dovey Panzer

Official 4koma artist did these 4komas before he became official and boy is it leeewwwwwwwwd!

Girls und Panzer: Motto Love Love Sakusen Desu!

If you can't have tank battles here's the next best thing. The trope-laden characters work really well for 4komas and 4koma-like gag strips and you get to see a lot of expanded focus on the rivals and their own little antics! Probably not canonical but whatever, it's fun!

Kaguya 21

Every chapter, Fujiwara is killing it.

I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that Fujiwara is nowhere near as dumb as she's letting on. We need more of the maid though, she was maximum troll tier.

Kaguya 21

I love that the art in this almost resembles a horror manga or Kaiji more. It's just hilarious to conflate it with what is actually happening. Cute last panel though. Also, have we seen the treasurer yet?

Tomo 343

OH MAN I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING WHAT AN UNEXPECTED DEVELOPMENT

I fucking hate these "look how pretty you can be if you aren't your shit self" storylines. Base Tomo is best Tomo even if her obliviousness is starting to wear on me. Carol and Misuzu keep me strong.

Prison School 216

Anzu's completely WRECKED face destroyed me this chapter. Her and boyfriend girl with the blood dripping from their mouth, and boyfriend girl actually mentioning they coughed up blood had me in stitches.

I do find it kinda weird that Kate is this good at turning shit around and planning and playing these mind games when she kept trying it against Mari and getting wrecked before, enough to reveal her crush status. I guess it's fine but it did show up suddenly.

Watamote 97

Maaaaaaaaaaan, I am really liking the way these chapters have been going lately. There's been progression and development and if you look at Tomo at the beginning of the manga and compare it to now she's come so far. She's still a shitty brat but in this chapter she asked someone to come to lunch with her, sat by herself in a crowded lunch room, had people willingly come over to sit with her, managed to talk to them, tried to join the conversation by being honest and then covering for her "friend", and having that conversation with her friend at the end without getting depressed or angry and just going "I guess she has issues too."

I think the only thing that bugged me this chapter is that her friend is a bit of a shitty person. Tomo went out of her way to cover for you or try to get you into the conversation and you fucking realized it and when you come to talk to her instead of saying thanks or being nice about it she's like "Please don't talk about anime with me around other people" Like fuck you, bitch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soma

Yukihira having fun while cooking for Erina basically means that that's the chick he should cook for like his dad said. :'v

Erina ship is full speed ahead.
Erina and Soma are gonna have two kids and a mortgage and she still won't admit she likes his cooking

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Girls und Panzer: Lovey-Dovey Panzer

Official 4koma artist did these 4komas before he became official and boy is it leeewwwwwwwwd!
breastfeeding is very important...

Kaguya want to be confessed 21

Fujiwara is the real mastermind. Kaguya and Miyuki think they are in control. They're wrong.

Tomo-chan 343

Shirt: "Blockhead" yup, accurate.

Prison School 216

Joe is now a white mage. Maybe they can change the outcome by saying: "Do you really want this kind of student council leading you?" Kiyoshi is nowhere to be seen, but i sure hope his 'lance' is still 'active'

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just like how this chapter reveals that Senzu and Joichirou specifically knew about Azami's plot to invade the school in advance and decided to not do anything at all about it because they figured that Soma would hook up with Erina and that would solve it. Somehow.

I think the Master Eugenist plot is real.

Yeah, that was a bit disconcerting.

"We shouldn't sweat it, my son's gonna bone your grand-daughter and that'll something something food"

Erina and Soma are gonna have two kids and a mortgage and she still won't admit she likes his cooking
Best ending confirmed :v

I just like how this chapter reveals that Senzu and Joichirou specifically knew about Azami's plot to invade the school in advance and decided to not do anything at all about it because they figured that Soma would hook up with Erina and that would solve it. Somehow.

I think the Master Eugenist plot is real.
Right, lol "yo, shit bout to go down at the school" "eh it's ok, as long as my son hooks up with your granddaughter then it'll be ok"

Toriko 373
I can't believe nobody picked up on
PANGAEA
this whole time

But what happens if you remove God and add Center?
PANACEA

This wordplay only exists in the English language and it's completely absurd that it works

Angry Grimace

Remember back when people argued that there was no way that Tobi was gonna be Obito even though it was the most obvious reveal in the entire universe?

Remember back when people argued that there was no way that Tobi was gonna be Obito even though it was the most obvious reveal in the entire universe?

I also remember such classics like "No, Grimmjow is dead. There's no chance he comes back" and "No Sabo died and isn't coming back because it was technically a flashback and I choose to ignore what Dragon said at the end"

People who read battle Shonen for 2,000 chapters can't even guess whats going to happen in them. I think in the Tobi/Obito case people thought it was too obvious and not even Kishimoto would be that much of a hack. Well, he was.

People who read battle Shonen for 2,000 chapters can't even guess whats going to happen in them. I think in the Tobi/Obito case people thought it was too obvious and not even Kishimoto would be that much of a hack. Well, he was.

I think anyone who read the fanfic-tier ending (hell, the whole last arc) of Naruto would realize Kishimoto became a hack. But at least he's not Kubo, that counts for something...right? Right? *crickets chirp*

I hope MHA doesn't fall down the same hole Naruto and Bleach did.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I also remember such classics like "No, Grimmjow is dead. There's no chance he comes back" and "No Sabo died and isn't coming back because it was technically a flashback and I choose to ignore what Dragon said at the end"

We get introduced to this kid named Obito in the Kakashi Gaiden, he "dies". Then in the present, we meet this wacky guy named Tobi with similar hair. People are quick to assume that they're the same guy.
Then years and years and years and years go by with Tobi staying masked and becoming the newest villain, and people assumed that he's no longer Obito. Then it turns out he is Obito and people flip their tables.

Angry Grimace

Shokugeki no Soma (now in non-potato quality and translated by someone who speaks some amount of English)

This entire chapter is funny.

* Joichiro warning Senzaemon that Azami is coming back to get revenge, but then suggesting they do nothing about it because his son will bone Senzaemon's granddaughter and somehow that will fix Azami getting Senzaemon fired and ruining the entire school.
KuGsj.gif

* Hishoko's freaking out about where Erina is, and Ryoko suggests that maybe Erina's takin' a dump.
KuGsj.gif

* What the fuck is with those weird noise pipes that let you listen into every conversation in a room and give you no privacy at all because the entire dorm listens in on what you are saying. Why don't they just have a fucking intercom?

* The pixelated topping on the donburi as though Soma was gonna bust a nut in Erina's food right in front of her.

* Soma making sexual-sounding comments about what he's planning to do with Erina's mouth.

As for the next chapter, it seems pretty obvious she will say it sucks even though it doesn't.

Puella Magi Suzune Magica vol 1-3 (END)
Suzune Amano lives an extraordinarily normal life as a middle school student by day and... magical girl assassin by night?! When a group of four magical girls begins investigating the serial murders in their city, they soon find themselves Suzune's next targets! But what motivates Suzune to hunt both witches and magical girls alike?
As someone who rates 'suffering' as one of the primary reasons why I enjoy the Madoka universe, I'll admit that I had high hopes for this after reading the synopsis and seeing Suzune slice a girl's throat open in the prologue. Sadly the first 2 volumes deflated those expectations, being filled with limited development for unremarkable side characters, and leading up to the same revelation for them that's been repeated in basically every Magica story so far. The final volume improved things with the introduction of the actual villain and a respectable twist, but it was the kind of setup that just begged for some clever foreshadowing, without which it lost much of its impact as it partially felt like it'd come from thin air. Sounds like I'm being highly critical overall, but I did actually enjoy reading this, though I suspect it was more due to my fondness for the universe and the sizeable body count rather than anything the story did right.

Homuhomu Rating:

icCHOSE.gif

Zero points. Homura doesn't feature in this, and even if she did she'd probably just shoot everyone.

Let me say that i like your homu2 rating huge battleship. I guess i'll try reading several madoka magica spinoff.
Once I've read the Rebellion manga (the last one on my list) I'll do a quick summary of which ones are actually worth reading.

I'm actually kinda curious now but was there ever a manga with multiple romantic interests/a harem where the MC ever ended up with the not most obvious or safe bet? I'm talking in a manga like Soma where he ends up with a Nikumi-class character. Or if in Nisekoi he ended up with Tsugumi or Marika.

Only one I can randomly think of off the top of my head was TWGOK

Angry Grimace

I'm actually kinda curious now but was there ever a manga with multiple romantic interests/a harem where the MC ever ended up with the not most obvious or safe bet? I'm talking in a manga like Soma where he ends up with a Nikumi-class character. Or if in Nisekoi he ended up with Tsugumi or Marika.

Only one I can randomly think of off the top of my head was TWGOK
Ichigo 100%?

Kind of.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch. 34

That panel about Ooba's skill being inhuman was pretty amusing. Ontan should hook him up with some Overwatch instead doe.

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 34

The discomfort I had at the end of this chapter was almost physical. Asano can't help himself, carefree manga about girls living life my ass.

Arabesque

We get introduced to this kid named Obito in the Kakashi Gaiden, he "dies". Then in the present, we meet this wacky guy named Tobi with similar hair. People are quick to assume that they're the same guy.
Then years and years and years and years go by with Tobi staying masked and becoming the newest villain, and people assumed that he's no longer Obito. Then it turns out he is Obito and people flip their tables.

Yeah, pretty much. Although the second time, it stopped being a case of "people assumed he's not Obito" and became "the manga has shown Tobi to be Madara". There was so little to doubt because he's been shown to know things and act like he was Madara, so the theories about Tobi=Obito were put to rest at the time because everyone thought it was a misdirection.

Then 3-4 years pass, Kabuto shows up, hints about Tobi not actually being Madara, and people were just confused about what the fuck that means then. I seen some plausible theories about him being Izuna (which at least would've made sense timeline wise more so than Obito) and maybe Shisui, but most Tobi=Obito theories weren't even considered because it didn't seem like it made sense for a supporting character of Kakashi's to become the chief antagonist of the entire manga.

Until the revel happened. Then it turned out that Kishimoto took the most obvious twist in the universe and made it complicated for no good reason.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Satoshi Mizukami's Tanpenshuu

Always knew these short story collections existed, but didn't start reading until today.

Volume 1- Haha wow this is rough. From art to stories to characters, everything really reads like the early work of someone. I don't want to call it juvenile, but he obviously lacks the experience and confidence to try for something complex. Still, there are some good acton shots in this, I particularly like the hammer design in this, it's pretty cool. As with any short story collection, I think it's important to name your top three: Bookshop guy's train adventures, robot frog, High Jump Rabbit.

Volume 2- Only read the first two so far, but holy crap the jump in quality is palpable. I want a time line of Mizukami's life and at what point he took a god damn art class. Seriously, the art here is leagues above the first one in ever regard, from character designs, to action scenes, to reaction shots. Everything is just done better here. The story is also much better. I was surprised by how much i laughed out loud reading through this, and by how fond I become of this little cast of characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom