• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kohai academia 96

Yknow, developments like the one that occurred in this chapter are usually quite hamfisted in other books, but here, the seeds had been planted and watered consistently, so it comes as no shock whatsoever. Textbook well done development.

Also all might's depiction as realer than real remains a constant source of joy. Dude realizing that he was walking into some cray fanboy den, his reactions, all perfect.

In the same vein, kablooey-guy's parents were a pleasant surprise, as was his reaction to AM answering his question. Very concise way to depict a character maturing.

God damn is this book outrageously well written for a weekly shounen title.

how could you do like 151 chapters pretty damn well and then fuck it all up at the end

Something tells me you've never read Shamo.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I essentially reread March Comes In Like A Lion and realized I completely forgot about the weird relationship between Rei and Kyouko. I really wish we'd get the whole story behind them, but I doubt that's coming any time soon.

tokyo ghoul re 82

holy shit at that ending. I cant follow any of this bullshit anymore. It didnt even look like he was losing?
I guess he couldn't choose between the two options of killing him as a CCG member or sparing him as his mentor.

So he took a third option.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 36
It's a healing chapter full of positive things and all that is good in this world. Everyone is smiling and happy. GOOD VIBRATION :)
NOPE, a chapter about SDF soldier trying to cope up with his life. His sister hate him for killing the invader, his parent support him. As for himself, he was traumatized from all the killing. Oh, an idol also promote a weapon that are used to kill invader, and probably set to attack China and America too. Shitty situation all around.

Rike ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumeishitemita 1

A scientist fall in love, now she's trying to prove that love does happen in a scientific way. This is so stupid, but i'll follow it to see how it goes!

kasane

nana to ntr

not sure if its totally gonna go thru. I thought i would be more affected but im practically immune to it now. In fact i seek a good ntr story

good ntr story, who am i kidding. they're all trashy.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch. 36

Pretty powerful chapter.

Tokyo Ghoul:re ch. 82

n7dX8Nq.png

Yeah okay sure.

What are you even doing anymore, Ishida.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sekitsui House 1-3
This is some funny dark comedy stuff. A mad scientist who love to modify people (actually killing them in the process too), A girl who was gifted with the power to be revived as long someone pray near her, and a hybrid between girl and tentacle being who somehow has the most common sense when compared to other characters.

Cool stuff, too bad there's only 3 chapters translated...

Berserk chapter 1-8

Starting with a bang. Absolutely floored by what I've just read. I've seen the 90's anime first and loved it and granted have known about berserk for years from friends but today I finally started reading it and WOW. I can already tell it's gonna be deeper and more complex then the anime series.

Revo

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! 17

Still a pretty good deal to get to do a bit of a bath scene with darkness.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Berserk chapter 1-8

Starting with a bang. Absolutely floored by what I've just read. I've seen the 90's anime first and loved it and granted have known about berserk for years from friends but today I finally started reading it and WOW. I can already tell it's gonna be deeper and more complex then the anime series.

Haha you got a long fucked up road ahead of you!

Revo

Tales of Wedding Rings 19

Glorious swimsuit chapter. Sage was so cool when he stopped that arrow.
Dont be a traitor marss, you're better than that.

Harukaze no Snegurochka / Snegurochka of the Spring Breeze

What it seems possibly at first revenge story a la Tarantino with a paralytic young woman as protagonist, which would be very typical from the author Hiroaki Samura it turns out to be... something else. But good. A story about family and bonds, about choosing a little thing and giving your life for it, all in the setting of the Russian revolution, which btw seemed pretty well researched, it had an authentic vibe. Also about this (light spoilers)
http://i.imgur.com/7mOuWyo.png (lol)

I love the drawing style of Samura, I prefer it over for example masters like Inoue. Somehow for me his pencils transmits very well the feelings of the story, and in the end that's so important.In that regard, Samura makes a great job in this single volume story.

The only flaw it has it's that it's only one volume, and imo maybe should have been a 2-vols story. At places the story feels a bit too compressed. There is one or two points where the passage of time isn't well expressed, where the relationships between characers seems to have changed but you have very few clues of that, some secondary characters seems very interesting but they appear just in a dozen of pages, or for example there could be a bit more of explanations in some historic terms and factions (for people who don't know the early twentieth century Russian history from memory!).
Of course being this a Hiroaki Samura's manga, there is a strong scene or two in there.
The strongest point is the ambivalence of the characters, and the twist of what's the real relationship between all of them and what's the origin of the story is well done. I could never guess at the beginning
that despite what his father did, she started by still hoping for his approval, that's why she was searching the proof of the relationship of her mother and Rasputin, though in the end she seems to growth as person and not use the name she was pursuing all that time. And much less I could guess the change of the relationship between her and Mikahil, though it's true despise the sexual abuse, he actually gave her the option of leaving before and not alerting anyone until the next day.

Daingurse

Toriko 376

lmao the earth rippling

Like how much more can the planet take? Guinness creating mushroom clouds while slamming Acacia like a damn chew toy was also incredible. The 8 Kings are just mindbogglingly strong creatures. It's just so fascinating to me.

I can't wait for Moon to show why he's the business.

Zweizer

Banned
Nejimaki Kagyu ch45

Gee, I hope Yoh won't do anything too rash.

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari ch19

Despite the circumstances, he's having quite the merry time.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Please Save My Earth - fin.

Well, this is a slow burn for the first few volumes, which isn't so bad by itself, but I also found it confusing. The key players here are Japanese high schoolers, reincarnated from alien scientists who lived together in a spaceship watching Earth. As they "awaken," they start to remember who they were, then seek each other out to fill in the blanks. Perhaps I'm just an idiot
yes
but outside of Alice (Mokuren) and Rin (Shion) I couldn't keep track of who the hell was who for awhile. Sometimes they use their human names to refer to each other, sometimes their alien names, some of these personalities aren't distinct enough, some of these faces look similar. One of them even starts pretending he used to be someone else on the spaceship, which I swear was just to fuck with me.

Eventually, PSME does spin into this character-driven sci-fi drama with darker tones and complicated relationships. I was much more into the alien scientists than the earlier material with the modern cast. Shion and Mokuren's backstories were more emotional, complex, and detailed than anything else in this manga. Not all of it works - Mokuren handled a surprising reveal in the middle of the story in a, shall we say, unusual way. Still, the material with the aliens, from childhood to adulthood to their remaining days was (mostly) fantastic and wonderfully written. It also helps flesh out the modern cast, so when the story does get back to them, I was more sympathetic to them and their feelings of being chained to the past.

I don't think I loved PSME as a whole, but there was a lot to appreciate.

With PSME done, I've finished my New Year's Backlog Club list. Out of the three, Umezu's Fourteen was far and away my favorite.

Hajimete no Gal 1 - 5

Loser kid asks cute girl out and she decides to mess with him. This could be good, but I wonder if it will go anywhere.

Jintor

oh yeah... backlog club... i should probably get on that. Dropped Biscuit Hammer but need to get some OP and Lone Wolf and Cub.

Probably a better bet than going through these random series I saw or rereading Idol Pretender for god knows what reason

Revo

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka 56

Everyone's happy now which makes it seem like despair is coming in the middle floors.

Zweizer

Banned
I Am a Hero ch229

Well well, he has grown.

Mayonaka Yonaka no Accept ch4

Nothing beats a good night's worth of bonding~

Not Lives ch48

Onto the real final confrontation now, though I expect the result to be fairly predictable.

Revo

Haikyuu 211

Seems like this is a good place to practice receives, not sure what else he can really do as a ballboy.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 4
Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen is a sports manga. Sloth confirmed for best pack member, even if her temperament means she'll largely just be used for gags. Seems like the releases are all caught up now, which is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom