• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
If you haven't read it already, check out Scott McCloud's Making Comics. The entire book is fantastic, and in particular the section where he talks about visual techniques in manga, and how Tezuka invented most of them.

Really? I see it complained about all the time on here, or I remember seeing it when people talked about anime.
The impression I get is that people are surprised since they're not used to it. But it's not incomprehensible or difficult to understand once you do, which makes it seem more like a different convention than a real cultural difference.

spiritfox

Nah, doesn't have anything to do with culture. Probably an early writer like Tezuka or similar invented the technique, and it became a convention in the medium. If it really was cultural, foreign audiences would have more issues with the whiplash, but it's not a common complaint.

Is there a work where we can point to as being the first?

cntr

Banned
Maybe, but I don't know enough to find out. It might be several works that gradually elaborated on the concept, and that's even harder to figure out

Shengar

Tezuka is an auteur yes, but tonal whiplashes wasn't something invented by him. Tonal whiplash is a tradition in asian storytelling that could be traced back as far as Journey to the West. In Japan, Zen stories are usually alternating between realism and humor, while mostly lean on the latter. Regardless the tone of the story we could found that the story tried to convey a serious theme. It couldn't be helped that the Japanese folklore also riddled with dark and dread humor.

When I said Asia, I'm not referring to its eastern part as such tonal whiplash story could be found in middle eastern stories, especially Arabian one. So it's actually a universal thing I guess, but it just Europe or America rarely bother exploring it especially in comic (there are tonal whiplash work in form of novel so that's why I said rarely instead of never).

Conan-san

Demon's Plan 002
Yeah, no. I'm going to tell you exactly how this little story ends; the big bad demon at the end (who is probably God) is going to be like "Yo, I made the Demon's Plan because human suffering gets me stiff and I'm no diffrent from the curroupt assholes from Ch. 1 and now instead of granting your wish I'll kill you (or I'll grant your wish and kill you, end result your ass is grass)" and then, depending on how much drink the author has had at time of poke the hero will ether save his hetrosexual life partner using his wish and come back home or have to kill him dead twice or something retarded and we can all marvel at how fucked everything is.

Yeah, fuck that for a penny. I can see this dragging on in the place RS should have been sitting.

May it rot.

Usobuko

Banned
MangaGAF, hit me up again with what I have been missing these past 6 months or so.

Manga > Pokemon

Seriously, I only contemplating to play Pokemon because my 12 year old cousin needs a playmate.

Shengar

MangaGAF, hit me up again with what I have been missing these past 6 months or so.

Manga > Pokemon

Seriously, I only contemplating to play Pokemon because my 12 year old cousin needs a playmate.

Be a good cousin and play with him

Hakumei to Mikochi

upandaway

Manga > Pokemon

Except the games are super duper good amazing and you should play them!!! Also:
Promised Neverland
Hakumei and Mikochi

Usobuko

Banned
Grand Blue Chapter 1

oJHqtoM.png

Fine line between comedy and inspiring demeanor. Not bad, I kinda like it.

Lain

Giant Killing volume 35

Damn this volume. Full of great moments, Tsubaki once again shining
that goal... omg that goal
, his friendship/rivalry with Kubota definitively helps in making him give more.
Seeing the Prince show up in the volume is always cool.
Seeing how much the team grew up almost makes me tear up.

Usobuko

Banned
Just 3 chapters in and I am dying here.

Grand Blue is the funniest stuff I had read in a while. Many thanks to this recommendation.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch473

Just say it already.

Nukoduke! ch90.5

Not a moment's rest for Yuuya.

Nanashi no Asterism ch9

He's got a pretty big sister complex.

Happy Sugar Life ch12

He kind of went insane regardless. That's impressive.

Shishunki Bitter Change ch37

At least it doesn't look like she'd babble about it.

Mahoutsukai no Yome ch34

Too bad auctions never seem to go the way one wants.

bobohoro

Tomo-chan 473

I don't believe it.

Hayate No Gotoku 550

Well, we're either in for a training arc and nowhere near the ending, or we get some sort of ultimate plan going here. The power difference was rather staggering. And the burst of negative emotion will be interesting, maybe Nagi after Hayate quits and disappears due to not feeling up to the task?

JulianImp

I finally found a copy of Umineko 8-8! That means I now have all volumes for all eight chapters, and I could pick up Tsubasa 1 and 3 if I wanted to get absolutely everything (which I probably won't, since Tsubasa's kind of meh). I did pick up Umineko Murasaki when I spotted it at the big Book Off in Shibuya, and while it might be a spin-off made by a different author (AFAIK), I thoguht it'd be nice to have.

Slowly reading Helck during train rides, and I totally lost it when his aura collapsed everybody's card towers and he then went on to complete his in record time. I'm still missing out on some things like the specifics of Helck's
supposed crime
(did
he kill his younger brother, who was the actual hero that had killed the Demon Lord?
), as well as the hypothesis they throw out after Vermillio's spy
appears to find the three human towns she visited to be lived-in, but completely devoid of humans.

I was expecting something a lot more serious, but am actually enjoying seeing Helck tilt Vermillio over and over with his crazy stunts and stupid victory speeches he says while keeping a straight face ("The monster realm's fun!", yeah Helck).

Revo

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains 44

I'm not expecting a breakout but some sparklers would be nice

Fureru to Kikoeru 14
Obviously you want to forget about what's-her-face and hook up with the oddball mind reader instead. C'mon man, this isn't rocket science. No real progress made on any front here, unless you consider marching deeper into the friend zone to be progress.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Golden Kamuy ch. 77

Asirpa's smug mug while telling a penis joke is A+.

Prison School ch. 235

Just snatch her fucking headband already.

Kuutei Dragons 3

Hrm...still enjoying the world they're creating and the characters even if they haven't fleshed them out a ton, and this was a very nice chapter focusing on Varney that built on her character quite well as well as showing small little peeks into other people, but I hope they're not implying what I think they are. I have a bit more faith that Varney isn't into Mika but rather envies his lifestyle because his is about choice whereas she felt she had no other choice but to become a hunter. I think I just don't like her focus on Mika because I don't find him an interesting or compelling character even if the manga focuses on him and the newbie. Still, decent chapter.

Uratarou 15

Was okay. Amusing in the Emperor basically telling that dude to fuck off, but this chapter was entirely about the heroine DOKI DOKI'ing which you can either take or leave. Is what it is. Emperor is quickly becoming the best character though considering how dichotomous her character is.

Sekai no Owari no Encore 13

Why am I still reading this? Dragongirl being shy about wearing a swimsuit that covers more skin than she normally has, more expository dialogue, loli being an asshole, characters that look dumb. I think I keep confusing it with Owari no Seraph which doesn't make sense cause I also stopped reading that.

Fureru to Kikoeru 14

I'm still calling it, the friend is gay. I am doubling down on that prediction. Meanwhile the MC is doubling down on friending himself at her so hard.

Nejimaki Kagyu 48

Aw shit yeah, we back!

Aaaaaaaand it's mostly expository. We do kinda get a bit more of Sensei's philosophy on students which gives insight into why he refused the President but at the end of the day it just kinda strengthens Marble's issue with him where he'll take his principles over love for Kagyuu. Kamo's a decent dude but the more he holds tight to his love for every student the more it kinda shows how flimsy and hypocritical that viewpoint is.

I'm just kinda down on this chapter after the amazing last chapter seeing the training of Kagyuu's three sidekicks and Yoh's confession and turn down, followed by that incredible double page spread of his TERRIFYING face when Marble sees him again and is basically like "Oh shit son, you ready" After over a month I wanted to see the results of that and not more Sensei. Though we did see the SC president in her natural habitat giving her awful face. Didn't get any real expansion or show of her abilities again though.

Revo

Tower of God s2ep225-226

The ring reveal was seemingly less important than I thought it'd be. Guess it's another waiting game till who karaka is is revealed.

Also lmao pokeball.

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm sorry for another Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! - 474 post, i swear i'll restrain myself for a while after this but can we please talk about how Carol looks perfect with her hair down? kthxbai

dumbyugi

I'm sorry for another Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! - 474 post, i swear i'll refrain myself for a while after this but can we please talk about how Carol looks perfect with her hair down? kthxbai

I was just about to post the same thing about Carol. Some frustration with Jun aside this beach arc has been good stuff.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The Promised Neverland ch. 17

Doesn't even look like there's a place to hide in that narrow room. Mama about to delete these two geniuses.

Nectar of Dharani 1
This is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy over there.
Just a bit more and this would have been straight up hentai alright.

Grand Blue 18
Jesus christ. How much can one get so mislead lol.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch474

Typical bully.

Prison School ch235

Hope the nuclear option delivers.

Horimiya ch72

Huh, I doubt it matters that much at this point, but ultimately it's up to Miyamura to disclose it.

Nejimaki Kagyu ch48

Man, where do they get these students.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch195

She's surprisingly forceful.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Grand blue 18
I can't breath. Holy shit this is hilarious.

Dagashi kashi 45-47
Its back baby. More hotaru being crazy snack girl

Kaguya wants to be confessed 44
Ok, just like Ib, author know how to play with our heart. I love the panelling in this chapter. Everything about it is damn good. The use of dialogue in panel with blacm background to show reader how Kaguya really felt during her whole ordeal. Also, Miyuki to the rescue!

Kuutei dragon 3
I need more of this. The slice of life segment is good and i want more of this.

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) The Girl Awakens With a Kiss From the Princess 2nd Part (End) by Maruta

It was shorter than I expected, but it was still pretty sweet, without much pretense, and filled with lots of fluids and lovin'.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One Punch Man (Murata) 68.2

Flash is fucking shit up but he's one of the legit heroes so no surprises but of course Tatsumaki steals his kill at the last minute. Just when he was about to use some special attack too! At least he gives her shit for it.

Also interesting to seeing the Monster Association talking about making new mysterious beings as that is not something they were able to do in the original web comic.

Edit: I'm also calling that when we get back to Garou he will have been soundly battered and defeated by Watchdog Man off screen Ala Squirrel Girl.

My Hero Academia 117

Man what a chapter..I have no words. My respect for Bakugo was always pretty high, but this chapter just made it even higher. He's a guy full of pride and he is most definitely one of the kids who aspire to become a hero the most. He's growing so much as a character(and so is Deku) and that really put to the forefront how good of a mangaka Horikoshi is and how well he built his characters. Truly one of my favorite rivalries in pretty much anything.

Truly one of the best Shonen out there.

Red Sprite 14

So much potential lost, just like with the Iron Knight :(

This series was so fantastic, the actions shots were amazing and the characters were all getting so good. Tatsu was such an amazing protagonist too. This is a true shame.

You will be remembered fondly by me Red Sprite and hopefully the third time is the charm for the author.

Ole Galozo 1

While I'm still not fond of the MC design, this was a damn good first chapter, I will give it that. Nice art and a cool premise, I will give this series a chance.

Demon's plan 2

When a series successfully make me tear up it's a winner in my book. That 2nd chapter was excellent, it really helped us see how great of a character Bolo is.

Black Clover 88

Say whatever you want about this series, but its art is very very amazing.

bobohoro

Fairy Tail 512

It's kinda sad that this was actually one of the more thoughtout fights.
And I don't think he's down yet, still has to somehow meet Marvis for that akward family reunion.

And I'm totally sure Natsu's life is totally threatened.
Oh, much tension.

Tomo-chan 474

At least this is not Fairy Tail, so there is a chance that Jun may die soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom