• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrvv

UQ Holder 132

8ed07dfb3b.jpg

That is one hell friendzone reaction

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UQ Holder

Ken knows know he's writing for.
DTL

Are you reading 4th of club or 4th of hearts sidestory?

The sidestories have to be read in chronological order along with the main.

I already read the 4 of hearts and 4 of clubs. And I am reading them along the main story. Still doesnt know where to fit the first side story in the chronology.

One Punch Man (ONE) 108

Of course, that response should be expected from Saitama lol.

Tejina Senpai 40

gyR9H99.png

There are certain tricks that senpai should be completely barred from doing under suicide assistance laws, and this is one of them. Regardless of the outcome of the variant seen in this chapter.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope danberu gets an anime. I already have the thread title planned. It'll be "How many kilos do you curl? |OT| Do you even lift, bro?"

Jintor

I hope danberu gets an anime. I already have the thread title planned. It'll be "How many kilos do you curl? |OT| Do you even lift, bro?"

I am honestly really enjoying Denberu. It's a fun, lewd, muscle-orientated manga.

The reaction faces are a bit toooo overboard for me sometimes though.

Alice in the Borderland 30-41

The King of Clubs game was great. The action, strategies and the personality of the players were great.

The ending the game was perfect. It is very sad and yet somehow there is a sense of hope in there.

;_;7

Alice in the Borderland Side Stories 03-04

Even though they dont feature the main characters they are pretty good. The 7 of spades game cant be even be called a game damn.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Late happy new year mangaGAF!
Been busy with works, now that i have some spare times, back to reading manga again :D

also, 2016 failed to kill Washizu, so i'm sporting this dude as an avatar for one year :p
Seem to be a great choice for short anime

That first episode of Akiba's Trip had no right to be as good as it was.

And I liked the game too!
I know right!? when i first saw the character design, i was like, meh, but the animation itself is fine

Usobuko

Banned
I already read the 4 of hearts and 4 of clubs. And I am reading them along the main story. Still doesnt know where to fit the first side story in the chronology.

You're on the right track!

Have fun in one of the best character construction manga. Even the guy who sacrificed his arm for arisu is well executed.

Lain

GATE volumes 1-3
W5jc.jpg
X5jc.jpg
Y5jc.jpg

I had read some bad opinions about this property from some of you (military propaganda or something), so I was a bit wary of buying this but then I did and started reading it and it's actually quite a fun manga.

I'm loving the present day vs medieval/fantasy setting with all that brings into the clash between the two realities (modern weaponry is obviously OP against swords and arrows and all that stuff).
Main protagonist is alright. Otaku with a BL mangaka as an ex-wife. He gets dumped on a lot and even takes a beating he didn't deserve. He comes off as a softie most of the time but then you realize he's not really stupid, he's just a lazy bum who'd rather not have useless bloodshed if it can be avoided and that makes me like him.
The 961 (was it 961? I'm not too sure) years old goth-loli isn't too bad either, personality wise. The dress isn't the best though. Rest of the cast is fine too, though the ones I liked the most have been mostly the female characters, for a reason or another, though mostly because they seem to have the more exposure while the male cast seems to be relegated more to banter in the background.

I gotta spend a word about the names. I don't really remember the names of the Japanese characters, but some of the names of the people in the other world stuck with me and are just... laughable. Piña Colada, Lelei la Lelena, Rory Mercury (for the loli), Molto Sol Augustus. Seeing these names made me feel the same way I felt when I watched 91 Days: what did the author smoke when brainstorming on how to name the various people in the story?

Zweizer

Banned
Opapagoto ch9

They're doing pretty well so far. I do wonder what is it that Ayumi is sensing.

Tejina Senpai ch40

On the bright side, she managed to live to see another day.

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai ch14

Customer service and shitty dog with shitty owners. What a perfect combo from hell.

Alice in the Borderland 42-49

Seeing the Jack of Hearts getting wrecked was so good.

Although this game had only new players, seeing they slowly kill each other as their personalities and backstories being revealed was engrossing.

The characterization is really good and it really pays off seeing it that the players actions are driven by their ideals and the interactions between players as their ideals clash.

Usobuko

Banned
Alice in the Borderland 42-49

Seeing the Jack of Hearts getting wrecked was so good.

Although this game had only new players, seeing they slowly kill each other as their personalities and backstories being revealed was engrossing.

The characterization is really good and it really pays off seeing it that the players actions are driven by their ideals and the interactions between players as their ideals clash.

The proposal made by the ex-swindler was a good one even for the heart of J. Ceasefire and play truce, live out the rest of your life in the cell for as long as the rations allow, which is 6 months. Rather than persisting on living in this hostile survival of the fittest environment even if anyone, including heart of J, wins the game.

It's such a shame because he is likely the smartest and most perceptive guy there but his regrets do him in at the end.

Pacifism crashes fiercely with the other two who see each other as equal despite a stark difference in ideologies.

Mr Serial killer would have no qualms killing off the girl if he was the one getting betrayed but Mr conqueror sees things differently. You might also noticed subtle details like the serial killer behaves a little like Johan, he always look a little down beyond the eye level and spoke in a refined manner.

How the author comes up with so many great characters is really something to behold.

How the author comes up with so many great characters is really something to behold.

It is great.

Alice in the Borderland Side Story 05 - King of Spades

dnNajkU.jpg

Another badass. There are so many badasses.

It was great seeing all those characters from the side stories meeting up and joining forces. Makes the manga world really alive and deep with those inteconnected stories.

As for the game, the King of Spades sure was brutally efficient, he would make Rambo blush. He as well, has a past that makes him do the things he do.

Acceptable title.

The reaction faces are a bit toooo overboard for me sometimes though.

959072abaa94304c484efec7855b3448.png

GATE volumes 1-3
W5jc.jpg
X5jc.jpg
Y5jc.jpg

I had read some bad opinions about this property from some of you (military propaganda or something), so I was a bit wary of buying this but then I did and started reading it and it's actually quite a fun manga.

Eh, I think people just really dislike how "Rah rah Japan!" it is, nonsensically, considering even as good as the JSDF is no one is falling over themselves to call them an amazing military. I like it in the context of modern technology and training over like...a Bronze Age fantasy world, which is the main draw, but it does get up it's own Japanese butt sometimes. Other than that, I actually enjoy the manga immensely.

The 961 (was it 961? I'm not too sure) years old goth-loli isn't too bad either, personality wise.

Ruri is the best. I am so not getting into this discussion, but I feel like she is an "acceptable" loli wherein her design doesn't bug me. She's 961 years old and acts like it. Her personality and character work. She is far and away the best character and if she doesn't end up with Yuuji I'll set the world on fire.

Also you wanna see a ruined design, check out his big-boobed Lieutenant in the anime. They moefied her so hard it kinda turned my stomach a bit.

He as well, has a past that makes him do the things he do.

Pretty much explains this manga to a T. I first became impressed at his ability to fit characterization into small spaces for unlikely characters when he did it for that shitty, useless dude in the poll game with the King. It's kinda surprising because you go into this all "Yeeeeaaaahhhhh, Death Game manga!" and then you see all these strong, interwoven backstories and character-based interactions and it's pretty startling.

cntr

Banned
Yeah I'm probably going to read the manga eventually instead of watching the anime because of how stupid those moe redesigns were

then again, I probably would've read the manga anyway

e: also I've been meaning to ask, what's with the avatar

Alice in the Borderland 50-51

Boo way to leave us hanging for answers.

Alice in the Borderland Side Story 06 - King of Diamonds

Simply amazing. What seemed to be a death game that involved math turned ultimately into a philosophical discussion about deciding the worth of a life. Gotta love how him and Chishiya interacted as they had their issues about it.

Its also impressive how those other side stories came back to affect the King of Diamonds.

Usobuko

Banned
Alice in the Borderland Side Story 06 - King of Diamonds

Simply amazing. What seemed to be a death game that involved math turned ultimately into a philosophical discussion about deciding the worth of a life. Gotta love how him and Chishiya interacted as they had their issues about it.

Its also impressive how those other side stories came back to affect the King of Diamonds.

You read the Diamond ♦ 6th arc where chishiya just arrived on the Borderland right?

That was great too, both in terms of his wits and personality.

spiritfox

I don't find GATE's rah rah-ing any worse than any Hollywood movie involving the US armed forces. It's just rare to see it coming from Japan, especially with their anti-military populace.

You read the Diamond ♦ 6th arc where chishiya just arrived on the Borderland right?

That was great too, both in terms of his wits and personality.

Yup I read that. Loved all the trickery that went on that.

Alice in the Borderland 55

Also now I am caught up with it and with that ending also, quite unexpected too. I need moar.

Well at least the manga is completed and the translation are coming at a reasonable pace.

Everyone should read this manga.

Boogiepop

Okay, first off, I already posted this in the comics thread, but there's a Kodansha line-wide sale going on at Comixology, the big official US comics site. So that's cool. A few quick series I'm wondering about from that:
Blame!
Witchcraft Works
Real Account
A Silent Voice
UQ Holder
Genshiken (Second Season) (Watched the anime of the initial stuff, but haven't touched the manga)
Nodame Cantabile
The Seven Deadly Sins
Sherlock Bones
ALIVE

And then a further list of stuff from looking through Japanese manga magazine wikis:
QED
CMB
Spider-man: The Manga (by Ryoichi Ikegami)
Haguregumo
Zetman
Salaryman Kintaro
Liar Game
Kokou no Hito
Kamen Teacher
Real
Super Mario-kun

Particularly interested in opinions on Super Mario-kun if anyone has them, as that's one I've been curious about for a while.

But yeah, any opinions, positive or negative on these, would be greatly appreciated, as this is essentially just me throwing down names that at least vaguely caught my eye for one reason or another.

Edit: Ugh, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei apparently had its US release dropped, so I guess I'll have to import that one when I can get around to it.

Shouta

I don't find GATE's rah rah-ing any worse than any Hollywood movie involving the US armed forces. It's just rare to see it coming from Japan, especially with their anti-military populace.

Yeah, it really isn't any worse than a Hollywood movie. In many respects, it's actually a lot more subdued. The military in GATE are shown as competent most of the time and decent folks which I guess people don't want to see? There are only about 3 times where the series, as far as I've read, gets more gung-ho about the military aspect and only 2 of those where it could be favorable propaganda for the military.

Otherwise, most of the series is about the clashing of the fantasy world and the modern world. What happens when those two things meet as cultures and how it changes things along with some more usual anime stuff.

Shouta

what's fun about a modern military smashing a bronze-age army tho

That only happens a few times beyond the setup at the start of the series, heh. It's pretty much everything else that's really interesting though. The characters, the way the society and culture changes as a result of modern influences and goods, the stuff the Empire is trying to do as a result of everything going on, tanks and jets vs dragons etc. Seeing an entire town build-up around them because of the quality of modern goods was pretty interesting and I kinda wished they did a bit more into that. I also like the details too like STDs being a thing to worry about.

The modern military fighting the fantasy armies is like the most boring thing about the series

Lain

Okay, first off, I already posted this in the comics thread, but there's a Kodansha line-wide sale going on at Comixology, the big official US comics site. So that's cool. A few quick series I'm wondering about from that:
Blame!
Witchcraft Works
Real Account
A Silent Voice
UQ Holder
Genshiken (Second Season) (Watched the anime of the initial stuff, but haven't touched the manga)
Nodame Cantabile
The Seven Deadly Sins
Sherlock Bones
ALIVE

And then a further list of stuff from looking through Japanese manga magazine wikis:
QED
CMB
Haguregumo
Zetman
Salaryman Kintaro
Liar Game (up to a point)
Kokou no Hito
Kamen Teacher
Real
Super Mario-kun

Particularly interested in opinions on Super Mario-kun if anyone has them, as that's one I've been curious about for a while.

But yeah, any opinions, positive or negative on these, would be greatly appreciated, as this is essentially just me throwing down names that at least vaguely caught my eye for one reason or another.

Edit: Ugh, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei apparently had its US release dropped, so I guess I'll have to import that one when I can get around to it.

I can recommend all those, with a few reservations for Liar Game, as it has a really disappointing end.
A Silent Voice is a little jewel. It will get you to be angry and to be happy. There is nice character growth in it.
Nodame Cantabile is a nice musical love comedy. Art is somewhat lacking but the story and characters are pretty good.
Zetman is a dark hero and ant-hero story with some great artwork.
Kokou no Hito is a nice tale about man vs mountains, based on a real person, though with liberties taken. Art starts out with a few issues but it gets better and better.
Alive is deeper than one might think. It has superpowers, a bit of survival, cool characters, action etc. What makes it really worth to read though, apart from it being a nice manga, is also the dedication of the author, who kept working on it on his death bed.
Witchcraft Works has magic, nice art, cool ladies, zany situations and some cool action scenes.

UQ Holder and The Seven Deadly Sins are fun action titles. I like Deadly Sins more for the setting and art but UQ Holder has a cool main character whose positive attitude is pretty infectious.

cntr

Banned
My impression of GATE is that it just happens to feature the JSDF because the author was an ex-member and well what other army does Japan have, and then the rah-rah perception started when the actual JSDF picked it up. I've never heard anything about the actual series that seemed all that bad.

That only happens a few times beyond the setup at the start of the series, heh. It's pretty much everything else that's really interesting though. The characters, the way the society and culture changes as a result of modern influences and goods, the stuff the Empire is trying to do as a result of everything going on, tanks and jets vs dragons etc. Seeing an entire town build-up around them because of the quality of modern goods was pretty interesting and I kinda wished they did a bit more into that. I also like the details too like STDs being a thing to worry about.

The modern military fighting the fantasy armies is like the most boring thing about the series

I agree. When I started reading this I liked all the other stuff going on in the world more than the army fighting stuff. Well, them fighting the dragon wan't bad.

That first episode of Akiba's Trip had no right to be as good as it was.

And I liked the game too!

It was pretty good wasn't it.

Blame!
Witchcraft Works
Real Account
A Silent Voice
UQ Holder
Nodame Cantabile
The Seven Deadly Sins
Sherlock Bones
ALIVE

QED
CMB
Haguregumo
Zetman
Salaryman Kintaro
Liar Game
Kokou no Hito
Kamen Teacher
Real
Super Mario-kun

Real Account is the best of the list, hybrid trapped in a mobile phone game x real world game type of series that continues to up the ante at each arc. A must read from Kodansha.

bobohoro

Helck 85

Anne keeping up the fireworks show, gracefully.
But I think despair lies in wait.

Fairy Tail 516

You know, Eileen could've actually been a cold and calculating badass villain.
Now she's a psychotic bitch throwing temper tantrums.
And a loli.
Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom