• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch489

Shirt is accurate.

Okusan ch43

She made a lot of people happy that day~

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch29

Braveman should learn to relax a bit.

Poor GG-chan ( ; _ ;)

Happy Sugar Life ch15

Aww, that was pretty courageous of her~

Plz don't kill her off.

Mob Psycho 100 ch98.3

They totally are going to summon some crazy powerful psycho, aren't they?

Fbh

Fairy Tail:
Lol what?

Did you not read Naruto? The new generation being like the old generation isn't anything new.
Not on this level.
Like sure you had Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke inheriting the style and traits of their masters and sure Naruto ended up as the Hokage just like his father.

But Boruto is like beyond that. He is basically a clone of Naruto. Not only does he look almost exactly the same but for this story arc they even gave hime the same clothes and everyone is like "oh boruto, you are just like your father".

Tha'ts boring.

For comparisons Sarada is a much better character. Visually she isn't just a clone of one of her parents, Her traits and personality are a mix of both and she wants to be the Hokage which gives her a unique goal that isn't the same as Sasuke or Sakura.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm still amazed at how completely Kishimoto replaced the "hard work and guts" message of the original Naruto

TBF that message was undermined from the onset, it was unworkable. The dude had a near infinite chakra fox inside him powering his abilties and healing. Nothing hardworking about that. Rock Lee was the only true representation of that message and he was not the MC.

cntr

Banned
TBF that message was undermined from the onset, it was unworkable. The dude had a near infinite chakra fox inside him powering his abilties and healing. Nothing hardworking about that. Rock Lee was the only true representation of that message and he was not the MC.
It makes it harder to maintain the message, yeah, but not impossible.

Play up the "curse" aspect of the nine-tails, emphasize the effort it takes, and make characters like Rock Lee central characters. Don't give Naruto any genetic powers, and instead emphasize how Naruto and Rock Lee can overcome Sasuke, who relies on his natural powers. Make sure there are real consequences to overstepping with the fox chakra, and I mean real consequences. All that would've worked out fine, and it would've been great.

Just don't make Naruto the child of destiny, him being the son of the 4th hokage was fine.

Honestly I don't dislike Boruto as a character his biggest problem is he has to share the screen with Sarada who is a far better written and more interesting character. It's probably why the first story in the Boruto arc by Kishi focused on her and had Boruto basically an afterthought.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, Naruto being the son of the 4th Hokage is a fine idea on its own, except Kishimoto totally botched it by making it a destiny and genetic power thing.

Man, the series in general has a ton of good ideas that were made stupid by bad writing. What a load of crap.

cntr

Banned
Bleach was at least funny in how insane it could get, like a shit Suda51.

One guy had an ultimate form that was a dipping bird.

A DIPPING BIRD.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It makes it harder to maintain the message, yeah, but not impossible.

Play up the "curse" aspect of the nine-tails, emphasize the effort it takes, and make characters like Rock Lee central characters. Don't give Naruto any genetic powers, and instead emphasize how Naruto and Rock Lee can overcome Sasuke, who relies on his natural powers. Make sure there are real consequences to overstepping with the fox chakra, and I mean real consequences. All that would've worked out fine, and it would've been great.

The fact he has said chakra pool regardless of the problems still consistently and deeply undermine that. You'd have completely destroy that concept and make it an outright negative or have neglible effects to work. The whole message was flawed to begin with. Yes hard work can overcomes genius but that doesn't help you against a hard working genius. History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi portrays that whole message far more effectively. He's a totally average hardworking guy but he has the oportunity though his quality of training to overcome his obstacles. His hardwork gave him the ability to gain and properly ultilise the resources around him.

That's an actual realistic life message. Not working hard intself will alllow you to overcome genius.

cntr

Banned
I mean, yeah, something like HSDK does the message a lot better. But it wouldn't have been impossible for Naruto to pull off a version of the same message, even if it's a lot harder. But it was beyond Kishimoto's writing either way, so bleh.

(And I did mean rewriting the Nine-Tails to have outright negative effects.)

I'm gonna make everyone acknowledge my hard work!

By being handed godlike powers for free from several sources!

Just like my Genius rival, hooray

Asshole Neji being right all along will always be one of my favourite "what the fuck is this?" aspect of this series LOL (the other more positive favorite is the Hyuuga Eungenics meme)

LeleSocho

Banned
Imho Jun's "bigot" shirt is just some google translate shenanigans.
---
Boruto is already super trash, instead of starting anew it just picked up where Naruto left off with the difference that instead of having an Hokage level entity now we have a sub Genin already being able to enhance one of the hardest techniques ever created and being able to defeat an enemy at least as powerful as Pain.
This without even counting the super bad art.

Yall don't see the genius of kishimoto's message

At the end of the day working hard is important but birth and innative privledge determine how high you can actually go with hard work

<___________<

pbayne

Has any JUMP series (or general shounen) really stuck rigidly to the whole "hard work pays off" spiel? I don't read too many of them but it always seems like the protagonist has some innate ability that inherently makes them better than others or gives them a significant advantage.

Like even Goku or yusuke urameshi or whoever always have some hidden birthright or powers or some shit. I guess sports series like Haikyuu or Ippo kind of stick to it at times.

Has any JUMP series (or general shounen) really stuck rigidly to the whole "hard work pays off" spiel? I don't read too many of them but it always seems like the protagonist has some innate ability that inherently makes them better than others or gives them a significant advantage.

Like even Goku or yusuke urameshi or whoever always have some hidden birthright or powers or some shit. I guess sports series like Haikyuu or Ippo kind of stick to it at times.

Off the top of my head

Osamu from World Trigger falls into that category where he's the weakest link (smallest innate trion of the main cast) and has to work the hardest to find ways to be helpful in combat

Hikaru no go has this almost in reverse where Hikaru starts with the special spirit who can wreck for him, but hikaru himself is a scrub who even by the end of the series after busting his ass never reaches the heights of his mentor. I guess if you separate yugi from atem in ygo then yugi himself isn't special and by the end has to work hard to surpass atem on his own merit though its not a major part of the series as a whole.

Arguable Asta from Black clover, yes he has his special anti magic swords but frequently his lack of real magic abilities require him to work harder then others in a world full of magic users

cntr

Banned

Sports shounen generally pull it off, like Eyeshield 21. But nah, I can't think of that many battle shounen who pull off a straight "hard work and guts" message. Out of recent Jump stuff, My Hero Academia comes closest, but it's a bit atypical since it's written to address things like self-doubt and personal motivation, and not blunt effort and ability. It works, and works very well, but it's different from the kind of thing Naruto tried to push.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

HSDK does so. He's not naturally great at anything, he just works at learning from the best martial arts masters in the world. He slowly starts showing fruits after going through training from hell on a daily basis. Ends up fightng and defeating geniuses but that's largely because he recieves training from multiple of the best martial masters in the world even then it's some close fights. He also doesn't rapidly grow in strength. Main message being will power guts and hardwork are the most important aspects of a martial artist.

Shounen jump wise nah. Sports manag do it more regularly if they don't veer off into crazy levels.

World trigger especially mikumo Osamu.

Haikyuu!! as well.

One Piece for its first decade, then haki happened.

LeleSocho

Banned
HSDK was great in that regard until the author decided that the series had to suddenly end in a few chapters, Kenichi's growth had still much to tell... bummer :(

upandaway

Can't recall any Jump ones but for shonen in general, this is literally Baby Steps

Sports shounen generally pull it off, like Eyeshield 21. But nah, I can't think of that many battle shounen who pull off a straight "hard work and guts" message. Out of recent Jump stuff, My Hero Academia comes closest, but it's a bit atypical since it's written to address things like self-doubt and personal motivation, and not blunt effort and ability. It works, and works very well, but it's different from the kind of thing Naruto tried to push.

Baby Steps has come the closest for me.

Edit: ^^ Beaten.

LeleSocho

Banned
One Piece for its first decade, then haki happened.

One Piece never showed progress through hard work (aside Zoro maybe?) though, the characters just were magically up to the task whenever they encountered a block, let's not forget that Luffy pulled the whole Gear system out of the blue...
OP is more focused on drama imho.

One Piece never showed progress through hard work (aside Zoro maybe?) though, the characters just were magically up to the task whenever they encountered a block, let's not forget that Luffy pulled the whole Gear system out of the blue...
OP is more focused on drama imho.
Yeah but OP tried making it seem like everyone but Zoro had shitty powers like with the whole Paramecia vs Logia thing, with Luffy having to be creative to beat people like Enel and Crocodile.

Now he can just turn body parts black and defeat anything.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah but OP tried making it seem like everyone but Zoro had shitty powers like with the whole Paramecia vs Logia thing, with Luffy having to be creative to beat people like Enel and Crocodile.

Now he can just turn body parts black and defeat anything.

Eh that's the worst description I've come across. Dude barely scraped through defeating Donflamingo with a massive amount of help. Still couldn't defeat a commander without help from someone using a hard counter and probably can't defeat the main antagonist of this arc.

One Piece is anything put consistent in regards to it's protagonists not ass pulling it's way through. The gears happened once in a 20 year long story. He's been using those same gears for like a decade, Even gear 4 only came out after a 2 year time skip.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Good manga deserve the highest honour : a live action drama adaptation that is

sick.gif

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Probably Slam Dunk.
Sakuragi is not a genius and more of a hard worker. By the end of the manga i think he still not as good as Rukawa or many other players.

Yall don't see the genius of kishimoto's message

At the end of the day working hard is important but birth and innative privledge determine how high you can actually go with hard work

<___________<

Truly the Osamu Tezuka of our time!

I wonder if there's a manga version of Iron Chef

There's Mr.ajikko or shokugeki no soma

Golden Kamui latest

Eating Brain gag is never not funny

Tomo chan latest
Lol, Jun t-shirt

Well, I don't know about the 'hard work' spiel, but I'm sure as hell 85% of shonen have a good component of guts & determination solve everything!!

Eh that's the worst description I've come across. Dude barely scraped through defeating Donflamingo with a massive amount of help. Still couldn't defeat a commander without help from someone using a hard counter and probably can't defeat the main antagonist of this arc.

One Piece is anything put consistent in regards to it's protagonists not ass pulling it's way through. The gears happened once in a 20 year long story. He's been using those same gears for like a decade, Even gear 4 only came out after a 2 year time skip.

And to be honest Gears are quite a interesting (and somewhat realistic) application of his rubber man body. So while they may come out of left field a little, they never felt like an arse pull, that is to me at least.

pbayne

I know its a parody of training arcs and all but i guess work and dedication payed off for Saitama in One Punch Man.
Though you're really stretching the definition of "hard work" with that. A moderate amount of work pays off.

Kenshin from Ruronin Kenshin, he had talent but he worked hard and his work payed off in becoming the manslayer.

He used that hardwork to keep his opponents alive too lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom