• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Chase17

Shudan! CP, ITS HAPPENING!!!!!!! Please get huge.

BLack Clover one will be exciting.
Hope it gets successful enough for someone to translate it.
You are forgetting the very real and tense stakes of him hitting the low score before the training camp starts. /s

From what I can gather from the viz podcast, it seems like they most likely added it because the editor for the series pushed really hard for it. And for the three people who like the series like myself.

Hungry Marie and We Never Learn getting canned soon?
Spring Weapon No. 1 is already done, right?
HM or RxL is probably next cut. I guess we will get volume sales for it this week which should be the final nail in the coffin.

I think WNL should be good for a while. I figure HM, RxL, and presumably Cross Account get axed before it. Also HxH will be leaving at some point. So it has a nice buffer.

Articalys

What exactly had happened with the end of Negima, again? I don't really remember too well, and it wasn't cancelled, but there was definitely something abnormal about it.

JulianImp

Haqua best girl

I'm not really fond of her whole tsundere act or the way she mindlessly walked into the vintage demonkin's trap by talking about the whole rebellion thing to the wrong people, but she's still better than Elsea and her obsession with cleaning and fire trucks~~~~~~~

I think the biggest flaw of the series is that it just keeps introducing characters and they don't do enough to warrant saying around for more than a couple scenes every three or four chapters (actually, I think that's the only reason why I still like Aqua's buddy). Hopefully all the goddesses get stabbed by more vintage agents and are forced to sit out of the plot for a couple chapters (or a hundred), because whenever more than one of them is on-scene at a time things inevitably devolve into "no, my host is the one who's the most worthy of Keima!" (and Diana blushing).

If anything, I'd rather just ship Katsuragi with Yokkyun and call it a day. Sub-Higurashi-quality waifus are serious business.

Chase17

Kimetsu no Yaiba 69
The "you should stop headbutting people" gag got me. Nice balance of closing out a sad mini arc with some comedy bits. Time for new arc!

What exactly had happened with the end of Negima, again? I don't really remember too well, and it wasn't cancelled, but there was definitely something abnormal about it.

At the time the magazine publisher was trying to push laws to get rid of doujins

Mangaka of negima who was all for doujins was like "fuck that shit" and ended his series early in protest

I believe that's the cliff notes version I'm sure someone can give better details

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ane no Kekkon
This is the kind of thing 25 year old Japanese women enjoy huh?

It's decent...

Zweizer

Banned
Code:
[img]https://s22.postimg.org/503z3bt3l/vs3_001.jpg[/img]

The last part of Vector Spectacle had been translated!!

At the time the magazine publisher was trying to push laws to get rid of doujins

Mangaka of negima who was all for doujins was like "fuck that shit" and ended his series early in protest

I believe that's the cliff notes version I'm sure someone can give better details

A worthy cause to fight for.

Arabesque

That played a part of it, but that was/is something Ken is continuing to do on the side as championing better/improving the copyright and IP laws in Japan and also the advancement of digital publishing (and also trying to figure out how to end the scanalation business, but less so than the other stuff).

Negima's ending at the time came about as Ken realised that, for the first time, he was in a position of power to get a better deal/contract out of WSM on his next series, and that was the greatest impetus for ending the series at the time and then starting a new manga under his own terms.

You can check back on the publishing schedule early on, and even how quickly Crunchyroll picked up the series for English distribution. Akamatsu had more power over his own IP now.

Articalys

That played a part of it, but that was/is something Ken is continuing to do on the side as championing better/improving the copyright and IP laws in Japan and also the advancement of digital publishing (and also trying to figure out how to end the scanalation business, but less so than the other stuff).

Negima's ending at the time came about as Ken realised that, for the first time, he was in a position of power to get a better deal/contract out of WSM on his next series, and that was the greatest impetus for ending the series at the time and then starting a new manga under his own terms.

You can check back on the publishing schedule early on, and even how quickly Crunchyroll picked up the series for English distribution. Akamatsu had more power over his own IP now.
From what I recall of Negima, there was a big final battle where the main bad guy got away in the end. There weren't any real story arcs after that, just a bunch of transitory chapters leading up to the finale with the timeskip->dimension hop->somehow the good guys completely won ending. So what Akamatsu did was intentionally rush the series to a conclusion after that battle, so he could start a new series with the more favorable terms, but his long game the entire time was to use UQ Holder to eventually wind back around to the end of that final Negima battle and resume the story from there the way he always meant/wanted to, overwriting the original Negima ending, but this time with a better publishing contract?

Vector Spectacle Ge (3)
3YoYGHs.png
The Last Supper by Hokuto
"A highly expressive piece that perfectly conveys the justified animosity towards the lowest of Gensokyo's lifeforms." - Bunbunmaru Art Supplement
"Through their uniquely stylised technique, the artist successfully creates a whirlpool of emotions that tugs at the heartstrings and speaks to the soul. A+." - Kakashi Culture Report
"I love Seija more than Battleship."- Unnamed Inchling
"I love cardboard, rusty nails and Zweizer more than Seija." - Unnamed Battleship

There's a part of me that resists the softening of Seija's contrarian heart, but it's blown away by just how freakin' good this mini-series is. I wouldn't have even thought it was possible to write gripping amanojaku romance before this. Here's hoping it isn't another 2 years until the next part's translated.

Code:
[img]https://s22.postimg.org/503z3bt3l/vs3_001.jpg[/img]

The last part of Vector Spectacle had been translated!!
Woke up, saw it and thought I was still dreaming! There's still another untranslated part from Reitaisai 14, and there should be more to come in the future.

Arabesque

From what I recall of Negima, there was a big final battle where the main bad guy got away in the end. There weren't any real story arcs after that, just a bunch of transitory chapters leading up to the finale with the timeskip->dimension hop->somehow the good guys completely won ending. So what Akamatsu did was intentionally rush the series to a conclusion after that battle, so he could start a new series with the more favorable terms, but his long game the entire time was to use UQ Holder to eventually wind back around to the end of that final Negima battle and resume the story from there the way he always meant/wanted to, overwriting the original Negima ending, but this time with a better publishing contract?

Yeah, that sums up Akamatsu's reasoning and what went down pretty well.

From the way it went down, I think he made the decision sometime a year before Negima's ending, so it wasn't rushed as much as there was never a graceful way to conclude Negima without the final battle being shown. So he just cut it out, and shown the conclusion of the series and went on with UQ Holder with the intention of eventually going back to the final conflict in Negima.

Zweizer

Banned
Drat, didn't manage to fool you into thinking this was the end.

Code:
[img]https://s22.postimg.org/6yyko7c9t/vs3_025_01.jpg[/img]

dani_dc

Beastars 39-41

While this chapters are cool in isolation, I dislike them in context.

The idea that Legosi can just go around and beat a criminal Syndicate by having a kung foo fight with dozens of experienced criminal, which are of a species that is physically superior at fighting than his own, is at complete odds with the narrative up to this point.

There were a few good moments, and the outcome of this will be interesting, but I hope this was a one off situation rather than something that will repeat itself in future arcs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not really fond of her whole tsundere act or the way she mindlessly walked into the vintage demonkin's trap by talking about the whole rebellion thing to the wrong people, but she's still better than Elsea and her obsession with cleaning and fire trucks~~~~~~~

I think the biggest flaw of the series is that it just keeps introducing characters and they don't do enough to warrant saying around for more than a couple scenes every three or four chapters (actually, I think that's the only reason why I still like Aqua's buddy). Hopefully all the goddesses get stabbed by more vintage agents and are forced to sit out of the plot for a couple chapters (or a hundred), because whenever more than one of them is on-scene at a time things inevitably devolve into "no, my host is the one who's the most worthy of Keima!" (and Diana blushing).

If anything, I'd rather just ship Katsuragi with Yokkyun and call it a day. Sub-Higurashi-quality waifus are serious business.

Well he's the God, of course. What did you expect?

Oni ga deru ka ja ga deru ka 5

Meh, the main characters have managed to irritate me enough already that I've basically lost any hope for this series. Definitely a textbook case of how not to handle a monster girl manga. There's little short of spider girl cocooning and eating the MC alive that could salvage my interest at this point.

Drat, didn't manage to fool you into thinking this was the end.
NpHoWEb.jpg

Lain

Medaka Box is getting a revised edition in Italy, with color pages and, the most important part, a redone translation. I'll have to buy it all again.
Also Kakegurui, Kuro, Ten Count got announced (all stuff I'm interested in). Funny how Kakegurui got announced right after I watched the first episode of the anime.

upandaway

One Piece

Curious to see how this ends now. We didn't see Pudding for a while now. Aside from her though it looks like it's mostly over, escaping should be piece of cake.

From how that lady and the bird guy talked, it looked like the treasure chest had a specific something that explodes on impact and they knew what that something was. I'm super curious now. Maybe something related to devil fruits? A bit bummed that all we got was a tease after that huge explosion.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Haikyuu ch. 262

Hah, that was such a good setup story for Tanaka and his big moment. Totally bought in, ready for the payoff, then that swerve. Well played.

One Piece ch. 872

Bege and his dumb Looney Tunes style exit, my god.

JulianImp

Well he's the God, of course. What did you expect?

I'm not against harem comedy, but at least have them fight over Keima as their hosts, since they have way more varied traits than the goddesses do.

TWGOK - Up to Ch211
I knew it'd be a matter of time before Keima would've had to court a grade schooler, but I didn't expect the plot to develop the way it did (sheesh, that Urara...).

I'm also now thinking that fire trucks just have to become a vital plot point someday, because otherwise Elsea's just a waste of a character~~~~

One Piece

Curious to see how this ends now. We didn't see Pudding for a while now. Aside from her though it looks like it's mostly over, escaping should be piece of cake.

From how that lady and the bird guy talked, it looked like the treasure chest had a specific something that explodes on impact and they knew what that something was. I'm super curious now. Maybe something related to devil fruits? A bit bummed that all we got was a tease after that huge explosion.

The chest had the energy steroids that Hody stole prior to Fishman Island that the minister of the right replaced with explosives.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not against harem comedy, but at least have them fight over Keima as their hosts, since they have way more varied traits than the goddesses do.

TWGOK - Up to Ch211
I knew it'd be a matter of time before Keima would've had to court a grade schooler, but I didn't expect the plot to develop the way it did (sheesh, that Urara...).

I'm also now thinking that fire trucks just have to become a vital plot point someday, because otherwise Elsea's just a waste of a character~~~~

Elsie is there for non-stop moe purposes

The anime takes everyone's moe-level to like 10

upandaway

The chest had the energy steroids that Hody stole prior to Fishman Island that the minister of the right replaced with explosives.
Wait did they talk about it before? Actually I think I remember something like that... the box had the original steroids that they mass produced?

Man I completely forgot so much of fishman island

Wait did they talk about it before? Actually I think I remember something like that... the box had the original steroids that they mass produced?

Man I completely forgot so much of fishman island

Yup. Can't blame you though, that chapter came out 5 years ago and we didn't get a flashback until this chapter.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch872

They got lucky, but they made it out of the castle in one piece after all.

Watch as it backfires on him.

Kingdom ch524

Akou's troops are pretty ruthless.

Okusan ch48

They're working hard on the whole babies thing, lol. At least if there's any issue, it's medically not on Okusan's side.

img0000284wso8.png

She has a bright future ahead.

Nejimaki Kagyu ch56

I wonder what became of his role model. Not sure what he can do now, but he seems to be aware of the situation at least.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch44

Guess it's time for the festivities to begin.

Shokugeki no Soma ch223

Mimasaka doing work.

My Hero Academia ch145

He's grown I guess.

One Piece ch872

They got lucky, but they made it out of the castle in one piece after all.

Watch as it backfires on him.

Capone is so good. The Supernovas were great introductions to the world, just need some more screentime for people like Killer and Urouge, who is already a fan favorite just because Urouge is one goofy mother fucker

shokugeki no soma 223

Even with the help, Kuga is going to lose.

Mousou Telepathy 275 - 278

Its nice that Nanako actually said how she feels to Mana, but Mana doesn't even care and that reaction was hilarious.

bobohoro

Oyasumi Punpun 1-45

What a wonderfully weird and depressing manga. I love it!

Another one bites the dust.
Prepare for quite an emotional ride.

Punpun is next on my reread-list, just have to decide between german and english version.

One Piece 872

Brook still MVP, but man did Bege step up his game.
Looking forward to the next supernova to get some spotlight.

I guess the mangaka still has selling power even if fans seem to dislike the series, so Hungry Mary and Spring Weapon (Vol 2 came out the same week as HM, Stone and Robot, and didn't rank again) will be killed this next axing is my guess.

Peco

Medaka Box is getting a revised edition in Italy, with color pages and, the most important part, a redone translation. I'll have to buy it all again.
Also Kakegurui, Kuro, Ten Count got announced (all stuff I'm interested in). Funny how Kakegurui got announced right after I watched the first episode of the anime.
Somato's Kuro? Neat.

Oh nice Ten Count!!!

Top Bottom