• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 sells (to consumers) ~2 million units in 1 month WW

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not getting on a merry go round with fanboys who don't seem to care for opinions that don't coincide with their own vision for where they want Nintendo to go on.

Oh please, you've already paid for the ticket, bought your sugar spin and asked your parents for permission to go

phanphare

Banned
Learn to read and properly interpret what was meant before claiming someone backpedaled, buddy. If it's too hard for you to follow, then don't comment. Making triple A software for the big two and releasing this hybrid is something that can be done at the same time if this hybrid truly is what I think it could become. I'm not getting on a merry go round with fanboys who don't seem to care for opinions that don't coincide with their own vision for where they want Nintendo to go on.

your words

I think Nintendo is just hoping to leave the hardware scene on a high note. Sega was a damaged brand once they decided to shutdown things early. Nintendo probably wants to enter the third party scene as a respected heavy weight worthy of being courted.

except now they're going to continue making hardware and releasing software for it exclusively?

Its like to me they have signaled time and again they no longer want to compete head on with Sony and Microsoft. They have also said time and again that this is a company that is evolving and experimenting. In other words, they want their own niche as they have always wanted. No way they will release a console/handheld system on par with the PS4 graphically with a handheld more powerful than the 3DS. That would be too expensive and we know Nintendo doesn't think like that. I think many of you have your blinders on. They want something that doesn't compete with the traditional home consoles or smartphones directly. It seems more likely that they release a reimagining of what a handheld console is and that includes TV connectivity.

Think more along the lines of a suped up Fire TV/ handheld combo and you be closer to what they are signaling. Whatever it is, it isn't going to be in the same market as the PS4 and Xbox One. They want their own segment. Even many of the things some of you are pointing at as evidence that they are some how staying in the horse race against Microsoft and Sony looks more like a company that is refocusing rather than a company that is doubling down. This is very much a company that sees the need to side step the traditional home console scene and they are going out of their way to make you see that. Some of you just can't let go of the past. But I'm sure as hell not afraid of the hive mind "correcting" me. You guys come off as silly and pretty thin skinned. I'll enjoy my Wii U as much as anyone else but I'm not going to be stupid about their future.

now I'm confused but I'm fairly certain I can read, although I'd imagine that no one can properly interpret what you're trying to say

They won't be making games for either of the other two console manufactures in the near future so I suggest you give up with that dream of yours.

I imagine if they ever do go third party they'd be busy producing games for phones, music players, and tablets.
Why in the hell would they even consider developing on two consoles where most of their content would end up like Rayman Legends?

Learn to read and properly interpret what was meant before claiming someone backpedaled, buddy. If it's too hard for you to follow, then don't comment. Making triple A software for the big two and releasing this hybrid is something that can be done at the same time if this hybrid truly is what I think it could become. I'm not getting on a merry go round with fanboys who don't seem to care for opinions that don't coincide with their own vision for where they want Nintendo to go on.

All indications so far are that Nintendo is not making a single hybrid console. The "hybrid" that everyone's been buzzing about is all about a unified architecture and OS that will allow both their next console and handheld to be very similar in how they work. This will make porting their games on both platforms easier, streamline the work process, and possibly make it much more convenient in terms of interoperability between each other and perhaps the next-generation hardware after that. It will still be a bona fide video ninth-generation game console. Whether or not it will be as powerful as Sony or Microsoft's 9th gen console is irrelevant, as Nintendo will most probably make it more of an experience console rather than a power-centric one, if the Wii and Wii U is any indication.

They already started planning for the new console the moment they launched the Wii U, as they always have. They already have a clear idea of the direction that it is going to take. It will still be using their software exclusively. They will not be releasing or making their titles on other consoles, much as how Sony or Microsoft do not make games for their competitors.

While they may not be competing directly and head-on with Sony or Microsoft, they are still competing in the same industry and as long as they have their own hardware, supporting other hardware by making games for them is laughable, crazy, and stupid.

Just like your posts.

sörine

Banned
I imagine if they ever do go third party they'd be busy producing games for phones, music players, and tablets.
Why in the hell would they even consider developing on two consoles where most of their content would end up like Rayman Legends?
It won't matter. By the time Nintendo decides to make games as a 3rd party to other other hardware there won't be PlayStation or Xbox consoles in the market anymore.

Terrell

You have to consider that the Wii didn't end on a strong note. Lots of people boxed it up, handed it down, sold it, trashed it. Besides, you can never be too reliant on communication alone that people will know that their old Wii Remotes will work on the Wii U. Some will miss that completely. Additionally, why only consider a subset of Wii owners as potential Wii U owners? Not a matter of ambition, because Nintendo can only DREAM that the Wii U sold a significant fraction of what the Wii did, but limiting its reach doesn't do it any favours.

etc etc

There's a reason why a game such as Wii Party U, that needs a Wii Remote, comes bundled with it at retail (edit: okay I know that the first one also did).

I think Nintendo should've taken the hit. A Wii Remote probably costs $10 to manufacture.
Every game that requires a Wii Remote is a multiplayer game, and since you can't use multiple GamePads yet, the situation basically resolves itself for the people which you describe. And considering how many of those there will be in time for the Zelda launch, I don't see an issue.

And you make a point yourself with Wii Party... if they decide to go Wiimote only (which admittedly is 50/50) and are worried about people not having Wiimotes, bundle one. Problem solved.

So you being called out for making entirely contradictory statements is apparently a fanboy jihad against you?

... can someone remind me what I have to do to report something to a mod? Cuz this shit is ridiculous and uncalled for.

That is what I'm assuming from what Iwata said. He said that they both would be more like brothers and that they may share games with each other.

I always interpreted it as them unifying their OS and network infrastructure and making a chipset in the same family, one weaker version for the handheld and a stronger one for the console, so they can upscale or downscale their projects to release them on both very easily. Instead of leveraging their hardware individually, they want to make a Nintendo "ecosystem" that can be experienced regardless of which hardware you buy for a greater leverage with their software, so they can make games that will sell to handheld-happy Japan and still have a console release of the same title to alleviate the lost sales from the more hastened shrinkage of the handheld market in the US and Europe, so they're never at risk of shortchanging one over the other due to regional market changes.

Where this unified console/handheld hybrid talk came from, I have no idea. They clearly mention still having 2 pieces of hardware and them being "close siblings", so unless they're being cheeky with their wording and mean that in the sense of conjoined twins or someone with dissociative identity disorder, it's pretty clear there will still be 2 separate hardware units.

nordique

I dunno, reading your posts from the sidelines, two things are clear: 1) I did get the impression you back peddled your point, even if you didn't intend to or didn't communicate it clearly enough, and 2) I don't see this "nintendo defence force" or nintendo fanboys running to defence.

You made a point which contradicts what Nintendo themselves said. You also gave your opinion, which doesn't seem to be likely avenue for Nintendo to pursue given that they are well off financially and again, they have already stated they're working on their next systems. It seems you're getting more defensive in guarding your point. I see more posters open to at least acknowledging your opinion before countering it.

Whereas reading your posts, all it see are defensive "nintendo fanboys" statements, further as if that statement is used similar to a slang. Some posters have raised legitimate points against your opinion. I don't see any "blinders" on people who are disagreeing with you, if anything that is an ironic statement.

Perhaps some other posters could have contributed a better retort, but I feel if someone is going to make a statement that goes against the somewhat-official information we already have from Nintendo, then you should be prepared to defend it appropriately. I'm not even intending to be malicious from this post so please don't misinterpret the tone, you seem like a very nice poster, it's just something I think bears worth pointing out from your posts, that's all.

Top Bottom