• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open |OT| Mario's dusting off the rackets and taking his game online

Agyge.jpg

Developed By:

uor5X.jpg

Published By:
lbZD3.jpg

fxqo0.png

Overview

Mario and crew return to the tennis court for the first time since the Gamecube era. Outside of the tournament mode, this new entry in the Mario Tennis franchise offers mini-games (such as Galaxy Rally and Super Mario Tennis), online play, and in game Mii customization.

Dyanmic View

In this control scheme you to hold the 3DS upright and the computer moves your character for you. Move the 3DS left or right to change your view of the court. Shots will be aimed in the direction that you are looking (i.e. looking left will aim your shots left).

Tournament

Play in a singles or doubles(with CPU partner) tournament against the CPU.

There are four Cups in all to play through. (Mushroom Cup, Flower Cup, Banana Cup, and Champions Cup)

Exhibition (Single Player)

Play singles or doubles matches on a variety of courts (8 in all) with different characteristics. Choose your match length, opponent, and difficulty.

Mini-Games:

Galaxy Rally (Single Player):

While rallying with Luma your goal is to aim for star chips. Hit five to create a launch star and earn coins. Remember to avoid the holes that will form on Luma's side of the court.

z6d7J.jpg

Super Mario Tennis (Single Player and Local Multiplayer):

Play the original Super Mario Bros. in a new way. Volley the ball off of the game screen to interact with it. Defeat enemies, collect coins and mushrooms, while trying to reach the end of the level before time expires.

Can be played with up to two players through local wireless.

33MNu.jpg

Ring Shot (Single player and Local Multiplayer):

Try to hit the ball through the rings on the court. The smaller the ring, the higher the score. Up to four players can play through local wireless.

POrem.jpg

Ink Showdown (Single Player):

Tennis balls are shot out by Ink Piranha Plants. Your goal is to hit the balls past your opponent. But watch out for ink balls. If they get past you , your screen will be temporarily covered in ink.

Zi9XY.jpg

Local Multiplayer

Up to four players can play together through download play (1 game cart and up to 4 3DS systems) or local play (every 3DS system has its own Mario Tennis Open game cart).

Online:

Open Match

Play a singles match against other players in your region. These matches are ranked and will increase (win) or decrease (lose) your rating. Play quick (tie-breaker match) or extended (2 game, 1 set) match.

Exhibition

Exhibition (non-ranked) matches can be played with up to three friends from your friends list. Create a room, assemble or join a group, and play.

Mii Customization

As you play through tournaments and special games you will unlock outfits and accessories for your Mii to wear. Use the coins that you earn to buy these items. Each item will increase specific stats of your Mii (like power and spin). Try different combinations to customize the skills of your Mii to your liking.

83dGz.jpg

Reviews

GameTrailers - 8.1

Game Informer - 8.0

Nintendo-Gamer - 80

EGM - 7.0

IGN - 6.5

Gamespot - 5.5

I'll be picking it up in just a few hours, at GameStop of all places...don't kill me! I've never played a Mario Tennis game but I am a 3DS whore and have bought every Nintendo published game so far...

Rekubot

Never played a Mario Tennis title before, but I played the heck out of Wii Sports Tennis. I might give it a shot.

The customization aspect looks interesting. Dunno about the chance shots. I want to pick this up eventually but $40 is just too much for the amount of content.

hatchx

Banned
Think I'll get this game when the price drops or I get some extra cash/time.

Local single card multiplayer is delicious.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
(From the other thread)
Just beat all the tournaments and unlocked the highest CPU difficulty (as well as a gimmicky court and a costume). Let's see just how hard this new difficulty is...

But I thought there were no gimmicky courts? Is this another case of reviews going on before the completion of the game?

Also when you win a tournament to you get to see a funky victory animation for that character?

(From the other thread)

But I thought there were no gimmicky courts? Is this another case of reviews going on before the completion of the game?

Also when you win a tournament to you get to see a funky victory animation for that character?
It feels rare these days that reviews are done with the game finished.

dwu8991

Banned
The customization aspect looks interesting. Dunno about the chance shots. I want to pick this up eventually but $40 is just too much for the amount of content.

mario tennis games have never been about amount of content

there's only so much you can do with a tennis game before it borders on the ridiculious ( see virtua tennis 4 mini games )

Emitan

there's only so much you can do with a tennis game before it borders on the ridiculious ( see virtua tennis 4 mini games )

what if- and this is just crazy talk- they made a mode with rpg like mechanics? and you could level up and talk to npcs and stuff?

it's not like the whole powershots or w/e the thing is in this game is not ridiculous ;)

Can someone explain those piechart stats for equipment? No matter how I look at it, i can't make any sense out of it =/

StayDead

I've got this pre-ordered, I've loved all the Mario Tennis games, RPG Mode or lack thereof it doesn't matter to me, the real fun is in the Multiplayer. <3

mandiller

That's your opinion. Mine is that Mario Tennis was the best game on GBC.

That it was! *bump fist*

Lack of an RPG mode in this brought the game down from 'best game ever' hype to 'I might buy it later'. I think the game will be solid, but it won't have the staying power and investment that the previous games had.

That's just my opinion though. If online Mario Tennis is what people want then they should be pretty happy with this game I'd imagine.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still cannot stand Miis, but at least one if free to not use them.

I'm sure you can find some design you can be happy with. I use this design myself in MK7. Works well with the Mii voice which is the main problem I find with them. Only use my personal Mii for applications that require it and Streetpass.

(From the other thread)

This is what I mean by gimmicky:

http://youtu.be/0iKQJSoOBd8?hd=1

That's a video of 2 hidden characters,
Baby Mario and Baby Peach
, on the hidden gimmicky court.

CPU is on Ace difficulty, btw.

The lack of an instruction manual saddens me. How do you get coins in the game? I beat the tutorial and got 800 coins. Then I beat the first tournament and got none. WTF?

Hey everyone! Really excited for Mario Tennis and I just got it! Gonna start playing in a sec! Can't wait! I think I'll just go online without playing single player and see how I do lol.

Anywayz I wanted to show something that I made for Mario Tennis Open:

Basicaly, me and my parents make videos of all kinds, usually they are funny since we are amuters (spelling I know) but they are fun to make and we have fun making them.

One of our series, YouTube News, is about new and old stuff that we talk about. In our latest episode we talk about Mario Tennis Open and it can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvCWyNsbl7A

Keep watching to see how upset I am about no RPG mode. Seriously, I would say thats the funniest moment that I have ever filmed but I have a Wii U speculation Thread VI video that is epic which will come when the thread goes up.

Can't wait to see yall online! Glad to FINALLY have a OT up!

My nickname online will be: AbbyVamp

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The lack of an instruction manual saddens me. How do you get coins in the game? I beat the tutorial and got 800 coins. Then I beat the first tournament and got none. WTF?

Don't all 3DS games come with an electronic manual?

Don't all 3DS games come with an electronic manual?

You know, I've never seen that there before. But, the electronic manual has all the same info that the stupid foldout insert had. The only information listed is that "you can play many different single player modes including Tournament, Exhibition, and Special Games." That's it, nothing else. In the store section it says "You can buy stuff in the store using coins you earn in the game." No mention on how you get the coins. From trial and error it appears that the coins can only be obtained in the special games.

So does this game have gimmicky shit like Power Tennis or is it more similar to the 64 version? I got so excited when they announced it last year cause early stuff made it look like Tennis 64 except with better graphics but more recently it sounds like they've been adding more dumb crap to it.

Glix

Just played 15 mins. Seems great, Camelot is SOOOOO good.

I have only a little experience with Mario Tennis.

You know, I've never seen that there before. But, the electronic manual has all the same info that the stupid foldout insert had. The only information listed is that "you can play many different single player modes including Tournament, Exhibition, and Special Games." That's it, nothing else. In the store section it says "You can buy stuff in the store using coins you earn in the game." No mention on how you get the coins. From trial and error it appears that the coins can only be obtained in the special games.

Yea, only through special games can you earn coins.

A few tips from the manual:

Taunt: "While waiting for a shot from your opponent, press A to start taunting. If you can finish the taunt, your character will flash red and the strength of your next shot will be slightly increased."

If you are charging a shot, you can press the L button to cancel it.

In regards to the chance shots, if you see a purple circle, press Y when you're inside the circle to perform a powerful smash.

Tagg9

I was really hoping for a demo of this. It's hard for me to justify picking it up after reading some of the mediocre reviews (both professional and those posted in the prior topic).

Does anyone know if the actual tennis matches are more akin to the N64 rather than GC version? THe GC version was too gimmicky when I just wanted to play someone straight up with stuff moving across the court and powerups after a short rally.

will pick up down the line but when i played this at PAX it was awesome

i wish it included mario 2, 3 along with the original tennis version

Coins only in special games? Thanks. Lol I was wondering. Yea I was just thinking, looking at the digutal manual, that it was very colored and almost felt like a real manual. But its not very detailed whe it comes to stuff like coins like you said. Which is very un Nintendo like. (Also: No gimmack courses are un Nintendo like, except for that one that seems impossible to unlock...which is only one...)

But I am having a blast with the game! I must say, I really, REALLY, like the victory medals. I think this is the first game I've ever seen that had something like that. Its really cool.

Kinda bummed that the game doesn't actually keep track of wins and losses online though...weird...this game is very hit and miss in alot of areas.

CANADIANS: I posted this in the Canadian deals thread, but thought I'd be nice and post it here too ;) Does anyone want to snag Mario Tennis Open 3DS for $19.99? Futureshop has a trade 1, get it free on it....go to ebgames or wal-mart, buy Splinter Cell Trilogy HD for $19.99, trade at futureshop for end result of half price Mario Tennis! I just got mine! Wasn't gonna get it at full price but it will never be cheaper.

And OT is done.

I've enjoyed what I played so far. Just started the Mushroom Cup doubles. The tennis mechanics feel solid so far but I need time to feel out the chance shots. More impressions coming soon.

I went online and on my first match I was pulverized, how are people already so good? Then again Mario didn't seem like he wanted to move, so lag?

Top Bottom